User Application load-balancing + fault tolerance ; User Application scaleability

Hello all,

Please bare with these rather naive questions regarding the U.A.  I'm
trying to confirm/infirm some possibilities for a customer and I cannot
find all the information I'd need in the Novell documentation.

Is there any other way to do load balancing + fault tolerance with U.A.
beyond using JBoss clustering ?
I suppose one way would be to have two completely distinct U.A. installs
(each with its own DB) and do load-balancing through a dedicated device
(web gateway/proxy).
Any other idea ?  I highly suspect running two separate instances of the
U.A. using the same DB (but without configuring JBoss clustering) is a
big no-no !?

Also, how does the U.A. scale in terms of performance ?  I cannot find
any sort of guidelines regarding hardware specs for an approximate
number of users.  I suspect the DB doesn't grow much since we're mostly
dealing with user data stored in the directory.  What about memory usage
?  How much memory is required per HTTPS session to the server ?  Any
other hint in this regard ?

Thanks in advance for any help/hint/clue,

Jerome
0
Buyle
1/15/2008 10:11:21 AM
novell.id-manager.userapp 4379 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3 Replies
669 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 12

On 01/15/2008 04:11 AM, Buyle Jerome wrote:

> Hello all,
> 
> Please bare with these rather naive questions regarding the U.A.  I'm
> trying to confirm/infirm some possibilities for a customer and I cannot
> find all the information I'd need in the Novell documentation.
> 
> Is there any other way to do load balancing + fault tolerance with U.A.
> beyond using JBoss clustering ?


Why not use JBoss clustering?

> I suppose one way would be to have two completely distinct U.A. installs
> (each with its own DB) and do load-balancing through a dedicated device
> (web gateway/proxy).


Not really a good idea because you would have to separate applications 
here which would not work, because the databases cannot share a driver, 
they would need their own. If you do workflow workflow in one would not 
be in the other.

It just will not work.

> Any other idea ?  I highly suspect running two separate instances of the
> U.A. using the same DB (but without configuring JBoss clustering) is a
> big no-no !?


Not, really they could end up walking all over each, no don't do it.

> 
> Also, how does the U.A. scale in terms of performance ?  I cannot find
> any sort of guidelines regarding hardware specs for an approximate
> number of users.  I suspect the DB doesn't grow much since we're mostly
> dealing with user data stored in the directory.  What about memory usage
> ?  How much memory is required per HTTPS session to the server ?  Any
> other hint in this regard ?
> 

It depends, what are you doing with it, how many concurrent users, what 
else is running on the box.

Also because of JVM limitations even if your box has tons of memory you 
cannot give it all to JBoss. So you will need to cluster, which goes 
back to my first question.
0
John
1/15/2008 1:31:18 PM
Hello,

I was just wondering if there was any other option than JBoss
clustering.  I've never done it, don't have JBoss experience, and thus I
probably will need some time to get it to work.

I was hoping for something more straightforward (even with some caveats)
although to be honest I was expecting JBoss clustering to be the only
solution.

I guess I'll have to look into it at some point in the future.

Thanks John,

Jerome

John DaSilva wrote:
> On 01/15/2008 04:11 AM, Buyle Jerome wrote:
> 
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Please bare with these rather naive questions regarding the U.A.  I'm
>> trying to confirm/infirm some possibilities for a customer and I cannot
>> find all the information I'd need in the Novell documentation.
>>
>> Is there any other way to do load balancing + fault tolerance with U.A.
>> beyond using JBoss clustering ?
> 
> 
> Why not use JBoss clustering?
> 
>> I suppose one way would be to have two completely distinct U.A. installs
>> (each with its own DB) and do load-balancing through a dedicated device
>> (web gateway/proxy).
> 
> 
> Not really a good idea because you would have to separate applications
> here which would not work, because the databases cannot share a driver,
> they would need their own. If you do workflow workflow in one would not
> be in the other.
> 
> It just will not work.
> 
>> Any other idea ?  I highly suspect running two separate instances of the
>> U.A. using the same DB (but without configuring JBoss clustering) is a
>> big no-no !?
> 
> 
> Not, really they could end up walking all over each, no don't do it.
> 
>>
>> Also, how does the U.A. scale in terms of performance ?  I cannot find
>> any sort of guidelines regarding hardware specs for an approximate
>> number of users.  I suspect the DB doesn't grow much since we're mostly
>> dealing with user data stored in the directory.  What about memory usage
>> ?  How much memory is required per HTTPS session to the server ?  Any
>> other hint in this regard ?
>>
> 
> It depends, what are you doing with it, how many concurrent users, what
> else is running on the box.
> 
> Also because of JVM limitations even if your box has tons of memory you
> cannot give it all to JBoss. So you will need to cluster, which goes
> back to my first question.
0
Buyle
1/15/2008 2:21:51 PM
On 01/15/2008 08:21 AM, Buyle Jerome wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> I was just wondering if there was any other option than JBoss
> clustering.  I've never done it, don't have JBoss experience, and thus I
> probably will need some time to get it to work.
> 
> I was hoping for something more straightforward (even with some caveats)
> although to be honest I was expecting JBoss clustering to be the only
> solution.
> 
> I guess I'll have to look into it at some point in the future.
> 
> Thanks John,
> 
> Jerome
> 

A few days back I passed on the following link on another thread about 
JBoss clustering:

http://tinyurl.com/2w7yaf

Who found it very helpful, I have not used it myselft. But I have setup 
a JBoss cluster, just to see what was involved and it is not that 
difcult to get configured.

Hope this helps.
0
John
1/15/2008 3:48:33 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Load Balancing User Application
Is there any special configuration required to load balance a jboss clustered user app (3.51 Patch V) behind a BIG IP Device. We are getting unusual behavior when going to the load balanced ip. We do not see the same behavior when going directly to each node. Thank you. Greetings Marc, What is the unusual behavior that you are seeing when accessing when redirected from BigIP? Sincerely, Steven Williams exteNd & IDM Senior Specialist On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 20:59:11 +0000, Marc Rosenthal wrote: > Is there any special configuration required to load balance a jboss ...

User Application 3.6 with 3.51 User Application Driver
I'm trying to set up User Application 3.6 in a lab environment. When I start JBoss, I get an error " User application driver (UAD) is not compatible with User Application version 3.6. Please upgrade your UAD using Designer for Identity Manager." Designer version 2.1.1 doesn't prompt me to upgrade the driver. Do I need Designer 3.0? Doug Black;1584150 Wrote: > I'm trying to set up User Application 3.6 in a lab environment. When I > start JBoss, I get an error " User application driver (UAD) is not > compatible with User Applicati...

User Application Load balancing ( about MySQL DB )
Hello ! Do you have any documentation about installing user application with load balancing? As the user Application is backed by MySQL DB, what to do if we have two User Apps installed? what design do you recommand? 1. MySQL DB shared by the two User APPs 2. A replication between MySQL DBs? what tables to replicate? what tables to do not replicate? If there is no synchronisation between the MySQL DBs and the User App provides workflows, I think there will be a problem depending on wich User App the load balancer is pointing?? Thanks in advance. -- iammi -----...

if web application is already open by one users, then do other user can use this web application also?
I have asp.net 2.0 and I have developed web simple web applications and it is on the server so how do I know if multiple users can use this websites at the same time Questtion: by default asp.net allow multiple users to access web page. if web application is already open by one users, then do other user can use this web application also? thankk u maxmax Yes, ASP.Net application can be accessed concurrently by multiple users.~ Remember To Mark The Posts Which Helped You As The ANSWER ~ IIS (which serves up your ASP.NET 2.0 website) is designed to service multiple users, so each new ...

API for user authenticatin for User Application?
Novell User Application 3.6.1 / Jboss / WIndows Server 2003. Hi We are integrating our application with the Novell User application through its Web services API in order to interact with its Role system and Reques and Approval module. I was wondering, when it comes to user authentication, is there any API exposed by the user application? ( non documented or documented) which we can use for our application instead of developing at our own? Regards, Maqsood. -- love anything that talks binary! ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection
This is my first time to deploy an asp.net2 web site. Everything is working fine on my local computer but when i published the web site on a remote computer i get the error "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed" (only in pages that try to access the database) Help pleaseee Hi You could take a look at this : http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=152338&SiteID=1Sincerely,Young Fang Hi ...

Customize User Application Users and Roles reports
Hi everyone! Inside User Application there is a way to generate some reports about users and roles. This reports have the Novell logo, but I need to change this logos to my client logo. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that? Thanks, Ivan -- ivangotti ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Good news! Yes there is! But you need to change the images within the WAR file. Unzip it and you will find a directory called "images" in the root directory. You can change files and report_header_288x69.gif report_foot...

User template address restrictions
I have a template for users which has a number of network IP address restrictions for our lab. If I create a new user - it gets all the address restricitions. If I add new address restricitions to the template - the users created before do not pick them up - how do I get them to apply?? Scott, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support....

Install application for all users vs. current user
An installer is created for an application using InnoSetup. During Setup, there is the option to choose whether to install for all users or for current user only. Application settings are then written to either HKCU\Software\{application name} or HKU\Software\{application name} depending on which one is chosen. Now my question is: When the application starts, how does it know whether it was installed for 'all users' or 'current user'? Option 1: Check if key exists under HKU ... .. if exists, then app was installed for all users .. if not exists, ...

web application with application specific user information
Hi there, I am working on creating a new web application.  I do have my application specific users, roles and userroles tables.  What I would like to do is, 1. How can I develop web application without using membership provider but still be able to use controls like login, loginstatus, getpassword etc. 2. Say I need to develop my own membership provider then how can I have additional fields in membership table?  At present, there are some pre-defined fields.  Can I have fields related to application requirements for each user?  These additional fields may not be r...

Users Managing Users
I need to create groups of users (Distributors) and in those groups, allow one of them to be able to create new users for that group.  Each Distributor managing their own group of users. I am wondering if this could or should be a module or should I start hacking the source.? For this instance, I'd say create yourself a custom module.  The "hack the source" approach tends to introduce issues over time.  :-)Bill KnausBlog: http://life.billknaus.com/blogs/ymmv/Website: http://billknaus.com/ Check out WorkControl-UserManager http://www.workcontrol.com/Products/Use...

Managing users on a deployed application?
I know that the ASP.NET Configuration Handler has been removed from Beta 2, but what is now the preferred way to manage users and roles in a deployed application? E.g. I've deployed the Personal Web Site Starter Kit to a web server. Now I want to add a user with the role "Administrator" to be able to access the /Admin area. How do I do that without having to edit the database tables directly or having to write my own user management code? ASP.NET 2.0 is supposed to reduce the amount of code I have to write, isn't it? I am having teh same problem/question can anyone suggest any solutio...

loading users from old application
Our current web application has it's own User table. Each user has a contactID. That contactID is used as a ModifiedBy field throughout the database. If we rewrite the application using ASP.NET 2.0 and use the Membership features, it generates it's own userID.  My question is how shall we link the legacy contactID to the new Membership userID?  We can't lose years of user tracking (modifiedBy) data.Any tips would be appreciated.  MAS With Membership, you can also use the combination of UserName and Application as a unique key.  So, ignore the UserId value and in...

Change manager in User Application
User App is very "manager" driven. However, I don't see a good way to manage the manager relationship within User App (other than via self service). Any suggestions on a way for transferring people between managers using User App? For example, any chance of building a workflow for a manager to request the transfer from the current manager? Something with approvals is needed and not just saying "give them access to do it in iManager" when no approval is required to do that. You know? :) I guess the assumption is that the HR integration would do this...

Web resources about - User Application load-balancing + fault tolerance ; User Application scaleability - novell.id-manager.userapp

Load balancing (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Load balancing is a computer networking methodology to distribute workload across multiple computers or a computer cluster , network links, central ...

​How firewall load-balancing optimises security functions in the DMZ
In protecting critical applications, IT professionals need to tread a fine line between enforcing application security against increasingly sophisticated ...

Nginx open source server gets TCP load-balancing
With the release of the Nginx 1.9.0 Web server, Nginx has taken TCP load-balancing capabilities from its commercial Nginx Plus product and fitted ...

Incapsula launches load balancing in the cloud
Delivering services from the cloud has changed the face of business computing in recent years. But load balancing hasn’t really evolved beyond ...

Load balancing and SSL in EC2
Here is another post I wrote for this year's Sysadvent blog. It briefly mentions some ways you can do load balancing in EC2, and focuses on how ...

Facebook's load balancing act by the numbers
Some of Facebook's recent feature launches have brought in a crazy amount of traffic. How does the site balance it?

How Load Balancing Is Playing a Bigger Role in Tech Transitions
Load balancing isn't just for websites that expect surges in traffic any more. Companies of all sizes, and in all verticals, find load balancing ...

Google Brings HTTP Load Balancing to Cloud Platform
The search giant also is offering SSD persistent storage as it looks to make Google Cloud Platform faster and easier to use.

Google adds load balancing, SQL-like queries in hot pursuit of more cloud business
Google added a few features to its cloud services Wednesday, including load balancing for Google Compute Engine and SQL-like search inside the ...

Google Cloud Platform Adds Load Balancing To Provide More Scale Out Capability And Control To Developers ...
Google Cloud Platform has added new load balancing, giving Google App Engine further scale-out capabilities. Google has also added new Ruby support ...

Resources last updated: 12/4/2015 1:29:23 PM