CSV imports, templates, home directories and creating Groupwise users

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for providing such a valuable resource.  You guys are
excellent! :)

Our initial IDM implementation consisted of just a link to active
directory, but we've been working on creating users from CSV.  The
basic account creation is now happening fine, and I'm getting new
users in EDirectory, and subsequently AD.

Is it possible to create users in this way through standard EDirectory
templates, perhaps per department indicated in the CSV?  I'd like to
automate the creation of home directories.

Also I'd like to create a groupwise account, but our structure has
always been one server per geographical area which handles all
functions - file, groupwise etc.  I haven't yet looked into
implementing the groupwise driver, but do I need one driver per
server, or does the driver just hook into groupwise somehow and I can
indicate the server based on users' location fields in the CSV?

Many thanks, as always.

PG
0
pg
11/21/2007 1:03:41 PM
novell.id-manager.drivers 10360 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:03:41 GMT, pg@nothere.net wrote:

>Is it possible to create users in this way through standard EDirectory
>templates, perhaps per department indicated in the CSV?  I'd like to
>automate the creation of home directories.

Templates are supported, but I've never used them, so I can't tell you
much about how they work. Probably covered in the documentation
somewhere, though.

>Also I'd like to create a groupwise account, but our structure has
>always been one server per geographical area which handles all
>functions - file, groupwise etc.  I haven't yet looked into
>implementing the groupwise driver, but do I need one driver per
>server, or does the driver just hook into groupwise somehow

The Groupwise driver makes a connection to the GW primary domain
database, and does all of its work via that. Assuming you have a single
server with replicas of all of your users on it, then you could run one
GW driver and manage all of them. If that assumption isn't true, then
you would need multiple GW drivers depending on your replica placement
strategy.

>and I can
>indicate the server based on users' location fields in the CSV?

You can specify the Post Office (not server) to create a GW mailbox in
based on whatever information you have or can get to in the directory.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu

 I'm tired of receiving rubbish in my mailbox, so the E-mail address is
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.
0
dgersic_
11/21/2007 2:20:15 PM
Use the Set Operation Template DN action in a publisher creation policy.
In order to pass it in as a field in the CSV, you will need to add that
field to the filter as notify on the publisher channel and set the merge
authority to the connected application.

--

Father Ramon

pg@nothere.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, thanks for providing such a valuable resource.  You guys are
> excellent! :)
>
> Our initial IDM implementation consisted of just a link to active
> directory, but we've been working on creating users from CSV.  The
> basic account creation is now happening fine, and I'm getting new
> users in EDirectory, and subsequently AD.
>
> Is it possible to create users in this way through standard EDirectory
> templates, perhaps per department indicated in the CSV?  I'd like to
> automate the creation of home directories.
>
> Also I'd like to create a groupwise account, but our structure has
> always been one server per geographical area which handles all
> functions - file, groupwise etc.  I haven't yet looked into
> implementing the groupwise driver, but do I need one driver per
> server, or does the driver just hook into groupwise somehow and I can
> indicate the server based on users' location fields in the CSV?
>
> Many thanks, as always.
>
> PG
0
Father

Errors with user templates when creating home directories...
Hello, we have a Netware 6.5 SP2 Cluster with 4 Nodes. We want to create users with use of a template. The user home directories should be created on a Cluster-Volume (SAN). We get the follwing error messages: ConsoleOne 1.36c = unable to process request; file not found iManager 2.02 = Error: The create user's home directory failed The user is created but the home directory was not created. On a non Clustered-Volume everything works fine. Any Ideas? This is a known bug that is being worked on, but there is no fix or ETA for one at present. It's not even clea...

Create Directory in Users Home Directory
Hello I was wondering if there was an easy way of creating a directory and coping a file to it in each users home directory, using the login script? Could I just run a batch file like this: @echo off dir F:\homedir\test\test.file 1>2> nul if errorlevel=1 goto test goto end :test mkdir f:\homedir\test xcopy f:\test\test.file f:\homedir\test goto end :end Or is there an easier way? Thanks Jtk, > Or is there an easier way? > ZEN for Desktops... But you can do it with a batch file. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (...

Creating a user directory other than home directory
Hey there, I have a two-fold problem. I have JRB utilities but I can not see how to make this work. We created a directory in the users home directory. We want to move all these directories out into another main directory and have the same file rights. Plus, when we add new users, we want this directory to be created automatically. Each teacher has a directory called GQWIN in their home directory. This is their gradebook. We want to move all of the teachers gradebooks into one central "Gradebook" directory, then their username, then the GQWIN directory. Curren...

AD Driver doesn't create the user home directories
Hello, hopefully this problem was not posted to many times before. I tried to search in the Novell IDM forum for similiar posts but what ever I searching for there are no results shown. We have connected a Windows 2008 R2 DC to our IDM 3.6.1. Ther provisioning of users is working well. The attributes home drive and home directory are added by the following creation policy. <rule> <description>Add auxhomeDirectory and auxhomeDrive</description> <comment xml:space="preserve">Add auxhomeDirectory and auxhomeDrive to User</comment> <con...

User Home Directory
Is it possible to set the user template to not create a home directory? It appears to be hard coded on the template, which makes sense, but would be nice to have the option. I know that I have an option to manually uncheck the option to create a home directory when creating the account, but would rather have the option to set that on the template itself and not have to depend on the creator to remember to uncheck. I expect a no, but trying my luck... TIA -- csanchez480 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ If you don't spec...

Create home directory through template
I have an eDirectory driver (IDM 3.5.1 on NetWare 6.5), which links new users to a user template through which the home directory is created. This works fine for most of the accounts, but for some the home directory is not created. Can't see anything strange on those user accounts, and the settings of the rest of the template (a few groups) did apply to those accounts. When looking through the tracing file, no errors or warnings show. Does anybody know what could be causing this? -- anitone ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Creating a Home Directory for a user in iManager
I'm setting up some custom user creation tasks in iManager 2.0.2 and having trouble with the creation of user home directories. The problem is described in TID 10092408 in scenario 3 where the home directory is located on a NetWare 6.5 cluster volume. I've looked at the other issues re rights to the file system to create the folder and set the access rights but this is all ok. I have tested this with NetWare 6.5 SP3 which the article indicates should resolve the problem (an update to NCPIP.NLM) and I have also tested this with NetWare 6.5 SP4. Does anyone know wheth...

Creating generic home directorys for users
Hi, I work in a university lab environment. I am in the planning process of pushing 20000 student accounts from a separate LDAP box to my Netware5.1 Edir server. In the current system users login using generic accounts which map generic home directories, though this will change when their accounts are merged into the tree, allowing them to login with their own unique username an password. Due to a limited amount of space on my servers I cannot spare the space to give each student account their own home directory. Therefore I am looking for a way in which I can create a gene...

Creating home directories with eDir driver
--____BGSPMFSQOIZHGBGLEZQL____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 28 Mar 2008 04:56:51 -0500" I have an eDir to eDir drive setup and I am trying to get it to create the = home directory for new users. I've created a template and have the "set = operation template DN" set in the creation policy on the publisher channel = of the driver for the production tree. I've at trace files for users = creations and can see the template being assigned but t...

User template Home directory setting
I have a two part question that I can't seem to find a good answer for, besides that it does it and check the nonexistent documentation on the subject. What are the variables to use in the path settings of the home directory environmental setup. Since I'm using templates I'm guessing %userid% wouldn't work so well. \data\users\"user_id_of_template_target". Second, since I'm getting into this late, if I set a valid home path in the user template will it go back through and create all the missing home directories for users already assigned to the te...

creating users and home directory ownership
All of our users have me or another IT staff as owner of their home directories after we created them in consoleone. how do we change this on a large scale? why does this happen? one way that I can manually change is flag.exe user1 /name=user1.context , but I'd prefer not to have to do this for every user. The other problem is, if a IT staff member leaves and their account is deleted, the ownder of the directory becomes garbage (something like ___*!___ ) what am i doing wrong? cperry@hmdc.harvard.edu wrote: > All of our users have me or another IT staff as owne...

Active Directory Driver Not Creating Users
Hi All I have a really weird problem here. My AD driver is setup to do a mirror sync of Edirectory one way. All changes to existing objects (passwords etc) are syncing perfectly but when a new user is created they never appear in AD. Here is the weird bit. When I look at the trace it looks like all has worked. The user gets an association and the trace says in bright green SUCCESS. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Magteq -- Magteq ------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----BEGIN PGP ...

Active Directory & SQL list of users with managers and managers with users
I have been tasked with some authentication/access items and know there is an easy way to do this within AD but don't know where to start.  What I have set up is a OU called Test Users within an OU called Sales within our main domain.  Within the OU=Test Users there are several security groups having as many as 100 or as little as one person in them.  The goup names are Manager, Regional Mgr, Sales Reps.  A Sales Rep can have a Regional Mgr and a Regional Mgr has a Manager.  There are some cases where a Sales Rep does not have a Regional Mgr and then is associate...

Retrieving the new user ID after details have been created with Create New User Wizard
I've got a 'create new user' wizard set up with several additional wizard pages containing extra information. This information will be stored into the database when the CreatedUser event fires. However, I need to obtain the user ID of the newly created user. How can this be achieved? Assuming the user id is an Identity field that is generated in SQL, I would return the user id as an output parameter in your stored procedure and reference that parameter in your ASP.NET code.   I believe the code to get the identity value of a newly added record is: SELECT @myoutputp...

Web resources about - CSV imports, templates, home directories and creating Groupwise users - novell.id-manager.drivers

Avicenna Directories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Between 2000-2007, the WHO published the directory electronically, along with updates received after the 2000 print publication. In August 2007, ...

To Complement Its Search Engine, Facebook Launches People, Pages, and Places Directories
Facebook is now closer than ever to becoming the phone book for the internet. The site recently launched a Directory of people , Pages , and ...

Directories
The source for IT industry news, views and analysis across the channel, business and technology

Princess Diana leaked royal directories to Murdoch tabloid, court hears
The former royal editor of Rupert Murdoch's now defunct British tabloid the News of the World told a court on Thursday that the late Princess ...

Telstra slashes 800 jobs from directories arm Sensis
TELSTRA is slashing 800 jobs from its struggling directories arm Sensis just one month after the telco giant sold a 70 per cent stake in the ...

Government To Stop Publishing Contact Information In Blue Pages Of Phone Directories
... has decided to stop publishing contact information for all of its departments and agencies in the blue pages section of telephone directories.A ...

File System Programming Guide: Accessing Files and Directories
Explains how to create and manage files and directories.

Fixing directories
Web directories are one of the key points of differentiation between plans on the Exchanges. A single company can offer half a dozen networks ...

Welcome to SBJ Local Directories
... newsletters, events, print subscription, digital subscription or other special offers. Welcome to Sacramento Business Journal's local directories. ...

Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch Guides - Directories and guides
The Bradenton Herald is your source for Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch directories and guides.