Non-tech with a file copy question

Can I just simply copy or backup/restore my GW55 email/calendar/etc.
files
to another server if my original server crashed or I'm changing to a
new
server?  I assume I would need to unload GW, but which files would I
copy?

Thanks.

0
Russ
10/10/2003 9:43:49 PM
novell.groupwise.discontinued 4811 articles. 0 followers. Follow

explain. you mean the whole PO or what. elucidate.

--
Michael J. Bell
Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com)

PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked.
I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee!

All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell's
unless
specifically identified as such.

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

"You've got a way to keep me on your side/You give me cause
for love that I can't hide/For you I know I'd even try to
turn the tide/Because you're mine, I walk the line"

Johnny Cash (RIP)

"Russ DeMarco" <rdemarco@email.msn.com> wrote in message
> Can I just simply copy or backup/restore my GW55 email/calendar/etc.
files
> to another server if my original server crashed or I'm changing to a
new
> server?  I assume I would need to unload GW, but which files would I
copy?

> Thanks.

0
Michael
10/10/2003 10:28:17 PM
If the whole PO means all of the users' info (their email, calendars,
etc.)
then yes, the whole PO.

Thanks.

"Michael Bell" <mikebellno90spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> explain. you mean the whole PO or what. elucidate.
>
> --
> Michael J. Bell
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
> Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com)
>
> PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked.
> I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee!
>
> All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell's
unless
> specifically identified as such.
>
> Novell does not officially monitor these forums.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> "You've got a way to keep me on your side/You give me cause
> for love that I can't hide/For you I know I'd even try to
> turn the tide/Because you're mine, I walk the line"
>
> Johnny Cash (RIP)
>
> "Russ DeMarco" <rdemarco@email.msn.com> wrote in message
> > Can I just simply copy or backup/restore my GW55
email/calendar/etc.
files
> > to another server if my original server crashed or I'm changing to
a new
> > server?  I assume I would need to unload GW, but which files would
copy?

> > Thanks.

0
Russ
10/13/2003 7:36:42 PM
Try reading

TID10008433

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant

0
Timothy
10/14/2003 4:34:55 PM
OK I read it.  Now I'm curious.  Say I have 2 IDENTICAL servers.  One
we use
everyday the other is OFFLINE, for use only if the 1st server goes
down.  In
addition I have an external tape backup.  Both servers have the same
apps
but the 2nd server has no data.  If server 1 goes down AND I have all
of my
data backed up to tape and my GW backed up to a workstations hard
drive.
Couldn't I simply plug the external tape drive into the 2nd server,
boot it
up, restore my data from tape, restore my GW from the hard drive and
be back
in biz?  That's my goal, what's your oppinion?

Thanks again.

"Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net> wrote in message
> Try reading
>
> TID10008433
>

> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Principal Consultant
> Independant Experts
> Novell Support Forums Sysop

0
Russ
10/14/2003 5:17:39 PM
Assuming you have the correct versions of the NLMs on sys:\system AND
have a way to get DS to sync up to where the old server was
sitting....

Then this might work.

You might want to take a look at NW6.5 and iSCSI to help with your
goals.  It would be easy for you to hop the GW data between servers
using clustering and iSCSI.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Sysop

0
Timothy
10/14/2003 7:41:03 PM
> Assuming you have the correct versions of the NLMs on sys:\system
AND
> have a way to get DS to sync up to where the old server was
sitting....

> Then this might work.

Say I was to do the identical installs on 2 servers (seperately).
IOW, I'd
install NWSB on the first server, then install it again using the same
EXACT
info on the 2nd server (the 2 servers will never be in the same
network
together, in fact the 2nd server will only be used if the 1st server
crashed
and was offline).  I'd patch them both identically, setup the users,
etc
identically, setup the backup, etc.  Wouldn't I then be able to do
what I
asked previously?  What do u think?

> You might want to take a look at NW6.5 and iSCSI to help with your
> goals.  It would be easy for you to hop the GW data between servers
> using clustering and iSCSI.

What is iSCSI?  Seems a bit too sophisticated ($$) for less than 15
users.

0
Russ
10/14/2003 8:14:42 PM
Yes, It could work, but you would lose any DS changes in the intern
(i.e. password changes).  That being known, you could copy the
PO/Domain files and graft them in.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Sysop

0
Timothy
10/14/2003 8:47:04 PM
What does it mean to "graft them in"

> Yes, It could work, but you would lose any DS changes in the intern
> (i.e. password changes).  That being known, you could copy the
> PO/Domain files and graft them in.
>

> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Principal Consultant
> Independant Experts
> Novell Support Forums Sysop

0
Russ
10/14/2003 9:15:03 PM
Grafting is done with Console 1.

What it does is create the GroupWise objects in NDS so you can get
what
synchronization there is working.

Please take a look at:
TID 10084509 and
TID2928479

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Sysop

0
Timothy
10/15/2003 1:15:00 AM
Thanks.

> Grafting is done with Console 1.
>
> What it does is create the GroupWise objects in NDS so you can get
what
> synchronization there is working.
>
> Please take a look at:
> TID 10084509 and
> TID2928479
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Principal Consultant
> Independant Experts
> Novell Support Forums Sysop

0
Russ
10/16/2003 7:03:37 PM
Glad to help.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Sysop

0
Timothy

File.Copy and File.CopyTo DO NOT COPY CONTENTS OF FILE!@
I posted on here before but no one has been of any help. I am trying to copy files of type .zip .jpg and .pdf from ones folder to another (I dont want to move it, just make a copy). How can I do this? When I use File.Copy and File.CopyTo it makes a new file in the right folder but has no content and it also erases the content on the orignal file. WTF? This is really making me mad. Visit VistaForums.com #1 Windows Vista Forum Here you go --->  http://www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=207Regards, Narayana Rao Surapaneni Architect | Author | MCSD for .NET | MCSD | SCJP ww...

here's a tech question for non-tech
I have not had occasion to want to do this before, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. I have an app built in D7, and it's rather complex in its functionality. Is it possible to rebuild the app to run as a service? Would that require separating the user interface from the app? Thanks, Bill William Meyer wrote on 4/22/2010 : > I have not had occasion to want to do this before, so I'm hoping > someone can enlighten me. I have an app built in D7, and it's rather > complex in its functionality. Is it possible to rebuild the app to run > as a service?...

File::Copy::copy() dies on identical files?
I'm giving File::Copy's tests a bit of a face-lift and I came across this: eval { copy("copy-$$", "copy-$$") }; printf "ok %d\n", 15+$loopconst unless $@ =~ /are identical/ && -s "copy-$$"; which basically says, "copy() should die if given the same source and destination file" which is a little extreme. Warn perhaps, but not die. I think it's just parroting the behavior of the 'cp' shell command. If nobody has any objections, I'll downgrade that to a warning and copy() just succeeds. P...

copy file question
We would like to implement some version control in our PB apps. We have sucessfully saved and then retrieved the current version of the app from the PB.ini file. We have also connected to the database and retrieved the value of what should be the current version of the PB app. At this time we would like to make a call to a subroutine to copy all files necessary for the app from our server to the clients PC if the versions are different and then update pb.ini with the new version, log the user off the app so when they logged back on they would be executing the newest version. We have a ....

File::Copy question
I am using Windows 98 and ActiveState Perl. I have a log file that after a certain size is truncated and reused. I have written a simple script to copy that file to another file using File::Copy. Is there a way to make sure the second file is appended instead of overwritten, using File::Copy or do I need to use something else? ----- The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas. ---- If you want to append the contents of one file to another, then you will have to open both files, read the firs...

File.Copy does not release the lock on the copied file.
 Hi! I am trying to use the File.Copy function in order to copy a file from the Client's PC to the Server. The File to be copied is selected by the user using the FileUpload control and is then used by the server to perform certain operations. My problem is that when I copy the file using the File.Copy method and then execute a streamreader process on the file straight after, I get the following error; "The process cannot access the file '\\syddev1\latest\xmasEmail.html' because it is being used by another process. " Below is the piece of code where the problem occurs; //FupHTML is the FileUpload control in ASP.NET.File.Copy(FupHTML.PostedFile.FileName, @"\\syddev1\latest\" + FupHTML.FileName ,true); string Path = @"\\syddev1\latest\" + FupHTML.FileName; //System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(FupHTML.PostedFile.FileName); objStreamReader = File.OpenText(Path); Any ideas on how I can unlock/release the file after it has been copied? Regards VikSakiv Hi Sakiv, I guess my first question would be why are you using File.Copy instead of the FileUpload.SaveAs() method? I believe it's mostly up to the Operating System how long the file lock is placed on the file. If you're hard set on keeping the File.Copy code, you might want to think about wrapping the task in using statement, i believe File inherits IDisposable.  once the using statement runs it calls the Garbage Collector to clean up the internal resources, w...

Copying all files in a directory using either file.copy or directory.copy across volumes
I need to copy all the files from a cd directory to a directory on my harddrive. I have tried the directory.copy method but it will not allow me to copy across volumes. I have tried the file.copy method but you must specify a file name in the path as well as the target. This sort of defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do. Basically I am using a radio button to specify a type of CD and based on this selection the application knows what directory to look in for the files I want. Here is the script I tried last to move the file. Sub KPacs(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventA...

Copying more than one file using File::Copy
Good day=3B I apologize in advance if this is a very stupid question=85 I=27m trying to concatenate two files and have the results written to a = third file=2E = Maybe I=27m missing something obvious=2E=2E=2E but in Perldoc for File=3A= =3ACopy I = read=3A =22The copy function takes two parameters=3A a file to copy from = and = a file to copy to=2E=22 What can I do if I have a second file I want to copy from=3F (i=2Ee=2E Li= ke = DOS copy command=3A c=3A=5C file1=2Etxt + file2=2Etxt file3=2Etxt will co= py the = contents of file1=2Etxt =26 file2=2Etxt and put the...

File Copy Question
I have recently been assigned a task of reengineering some old PowerBuilder code to a new version and to clean up the old code. I noticed that the original developer copied a file into a blob then wrote the blob out to a different location. Is there some reason behind this or is the developer just being creative, wouldn't it be cleaner and faster just to use a FileCopy? Thanks in advance The FileCopy function was added in version 8. The program could have been written in an older version. "Doug" <dklee@schmidt.com> wrote in message news:1165351494.2...

copying a file without using module File::Copy
Hello All, Is the only way to copy a file from one directory to another by using the copy module...? Would anyone have a snipet of code copying a file from one dir to another... Any assistance would be appreciated... Thank you, Mike ------------------------------------------------ On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:13:06 -0500, Michael Pastore <Michael.Pastore@frontstep.com> wrote: > > Hello All, > > Is the only way to copy a file from one directory to another by using the > copy module...? > > Would anyone have a snipet of code copying a f...

Error when copying using File.Copy and files exist
I'm trying to copy and overwrite files to an existing directory using :file.copy(source,destination,true)The command works perfectly when the files do not exist, but when trying to overwrite the files, I get an access denied error to the destination directory and files.It's not a permission issue because the folders have 'ASPNET' and 'Everyone' Access set up with full rights.Anyone have any ideas?Thanks in advance.JeffJeff Wasilauski, MCAD .NET, MCPC# WEB DEVELOPMENT-SQL SERVER DBA"If I have answered your question please mark as answer" Check if the File exists before copying and...

Problems with File.Copy() Method for copy big files
I´m using the follow commando to copy a file: source = "c:\\domains\\pagina.com.br\\wwwroot\\folder\\filesou.xml";target = "c:\\domains\\pagina.com.br\\wwwroot\\folder\\filetar.xmb"; File.Copy(source, target, true); If I used a small file (source) with for example 233000 bytes the server copy to target without problems. But if I used the file (source) with 700000 bytes the server don´t copy. I´ m copy to the same folder... Why is this happened with big file as source ? Thank you... Rogério Does it throw any error. HighOnCodingWanna get high! I don´t know if it throw any error.Ho...

file to file copy
--nextPart3236501.eDU2PhZZ46 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8Bit hello, i have to write a perl script which copies text from one file to another but only if the text is not exisiting yet. For example: in file1: word: moon word2: sky .... the same syntax for every line in file2: #some text word: honey word3: lol word4: mu .... as well the same syntax for every line so now i want to merge file1 into file2, so that word: honey will be replaced by word: moon and word2: sky will be appended to file2. i have written the following...

To copy or not to copy: that is the question
i have a dataTable in the session object . I have a method which removes a column from the table before binding e.g. DataTable dt = (DataTable) Session["MyTable"]; dt.Columns.RemoveAt[0]; DataGrid dg = new DataGrid(); dg.DataSource = dt; // ...etc a dataTable is a reference object so by removing the column in my local method I am also removing a column from the dataTable in the session object as they are both looking at the same thing. what if I want to remove a column in my local method but preserve the integrity of the in session table? at the moment ...

Tech question on file deletion
Name: Jan Norman Worth Email: janormanworthathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Tech question on file deletion Comments: I have just installed Avast anti-virus and have gotten the following messages;Task 'Simple user interface' used * Started on Friday, November 21, 2008 11:36:58 PM * VPS: 081121-0, 11/21/2008 * c:\RECYCLED\DC148.EXE\[ASPack]\[Embedded_R#FILEINFOLIST.DLL]\FileInfoList.xml [E] Archive is password protected. (42056) c:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jz8ekc4f.default\Cache\DB780835d01\DB780835d01 [E] The file is a decompress...

Re: Question about copying files.
perldoc file::copy >>> <mystic_mac1@mac.com> 07/02/02 08:40am >>> I've got a script that parses out a mail file into an array then uses the print command to copy the array to another location. Effectively I'm just copying one file from its original location to another location, I'm using a cgi script to do this in, how can I call a "cp" command from within a cgi script? I'm thinking of doing something like: sh "cp filename1.txt /new/path/filename2.txt"; Would this be enough, or do I have to require another .pl scri...

Problem Copying a file from remote client using File.Copy
Hello, I have to copy a file that is uploaded from a remote client to Web Server into my application folder. I am using the following logic to achieve this. File.Copy(srcPath, destPath) Where srcPath = Path selected by the user using HTML File Input Control. and destPath = Server.MapPath(Excel_Upload) + "\Sample.xls" This works fine when I try uploading the file from the server system but when I try doing the same from a remote client, I get an exception which says "File.Copy Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Anas\Desktop\Sample12.xls'&...

What is the maximum file size that can be copied using File.Copy method ?
What is the maximum file size that can be copied using File.Copy method ?HighOnCodingWanna get high! It should only be restricted by available space. The copy function is just a wrapper for the Win32 copy funtion in kernal32.dll salam azam i do not know if this usefulhttp://forums.asp.net/1015306/ShowPost.aspxFadil Alnassar www.fadilalnassar.com | FREE Nodil Tab Controlhttp://www.mefranchising.com Thanks It was helpful. HighOnCodingWanna get high! great to know this .......i owe you alot brother !! i always feel that i like to help people who always help meFadil Alnassar www.fa...

question on copy file from map drive
Hi all, I have cgi.pl file in internet server. I would like to copy a log file(read only file) in J:\ (which I map it to the other server) to my d:\temp folder. With the following code, I got "can't open input : Permission denied" message when I open th cgi.pl file thru IE browser. How could I get Permission? Thanks. Angela $output_file_name="d:\\temp\\copy_log.txt"; $input_file_name = "j:\\status.log"; open (COPY_FILE, ">$output_file_name") || die ("can't open output:$!");; open (FILE, "<$input_file_name&quo...

Simple Copy Files Deployment Question
I am planning to deploy my first ASP.Net site to a web server on our corporate intranet.I like the simplicity of just copying the files over to the remote site and having the site compiled the first time a user logs on.However, how are subsequent changes effected?Is it a case of just copying the changed file to the production website and the runime automatically detects that the file has changed and builds the page?Or do I have to log on to the remote site and do a rebuild. Thanks     It depends if you are using precompiled application or not.  If you are using precompile...

SetupIP could not copy the GroupWise Setup files
TID #10092626: SetupIP is not RFC compliant in how it ends an HTTP Get transmission and as a result when working with a Checkpoint Firewall-1 ( NG Next Generation with Feature Pack 3) the following error occurs - Error: "SetupIP could not copy the GroupWise Setup files" when the customer executes SETUPIP.EXE. We are using the CheckPoint Firewall too and we found that we got the same problem using the setupip to install the groupwise client when the workstation location not in our internet network. However, all workstation in local network(data no need through the Firewall) ...

which files should be copied to other non zen servers
I installed zfd4.1 to our netware 6.5 server. Now i want the users to start the nal from other netware5.1 public's directory. Does anybody now which files i should copy or install to the netware 5.1 servers in order to get everything to work. versions: clients : 4.83sp2 netwareserver : nw5.1sp6 zen4.1server: nw6.5 Not using middle tier server. greetings, Ren� Engelhart NAL should be started from the local workstation, once you've installed the agent... -- Shaun Pond > NAL should be started from the local workstation, once you've installed &...

question on copy file from map drive
Hi all, I have cgi.pl file in internet server. I would like to copy a log file(read only file) in J:\ (which I map it to the other server) to my d:\temp folder. With the following code, I got "can't open input : Permission denied" message when I open th cgi.pl file thru IE browser. How could I get Permission? Thanks. Angela $output_file_name="d:\\temp\\copy_log.txt"; $input_file_name = "j:\\status.log"; open (COPY_FILE, ">$output_file_name") || die ("can't open output:$!");; open (FILE, "<$input_file_name&quo...

Script file to copy files
Dear all, I have an external hard disk with lots of big files and a lot of small matlab script files .m. I would like to grab all the files inside that harddisk that have the .m extension or the *.mat file extension (both are matlab files). Of course this is a -first-find the *.m files script and -then copy the files into the hard disk. What I do not know is how I can also keep the structure of the folders containing the *.m and *.mat files when I will copy them in my local hard disk. As this external hard disk contains 2TB of data it is not possible to copy all the fi...

Web resources about - Non-tech with a file copy question - novell.groupwise.discontinued

BART strike provides stark contrast to tech's non-union world
... Francisco Bay Area transit workers this week is a clear and naked display of union power, something that's probably completely alien to tech ...

20 Non-Tech Stars Of The 2013 Best Small Companies List
20 Non-Tech Stars Of The 2013 Best Small Companies List

Non-Tech Companies Emerge As A Critical New Market For Software Product Development Services
Historically, one of the main segments of the product development services (PDS) market has been software product development for independent ...

Translations startups targeting non-tech Japanese SMEs
This is a guest post authored by “Tex” Pomeroy. He is a Tokyo-based writer specializing in ICT and high technology. Translations startups like ...

Viking Global’s Top Non-Tech Holdings
... David Ott, and Brian Olson. The strategy is long/short global equity with a bottom-up stock picking approach. Below are its top non-tech holdings. ...

Non-tech companies can be great places to work, too
Companies from a wide range of non-tech industries are pushing tech companies off of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work list

Innovation by Necessity: 3 Non-Tech Businesses and the Technology They Created
... wearable tech , etc. — or they fold. But what about innovators who end up making new technology because they have to have it for their non-tech ...

From Amazon warehouse workers to Google bus drivers, it’s tough working a non-tech job at a tech company ...
... of contracting them from another company. But it continues to be a problem at other firms that aren’t willing to pay most of their non-technical ...

The Only Thing Lamer than Corporate VCs? International, Non-Tech Corporate VCs
... like the lie that a company won’t change once it has been acquired. It’s like a cat pretending it’s a dog. This is true for Valley-based technology ...

Non-tech retailers, no banks, and mobile payments, what could possibly go wrong?
In the world of technology, particularly consumer-rich mobile technology, we have grown accustomed...