GWIA using Sendmail server as relay host

We have setup a new GW 7 server and are using our existing sendmail
(resides in DMZ) server as our relay host. We can successfully send mail
from GW to our internal users and we can also transmit externally.

We cannot get mail to transfer from our existing system to GW. A packet
trace shows traffic going to our GWIA. I don't see anything showing up in
our GW logs. It would be great to have an error message on the GW side to
research. We just get a return email message back from our mail server
stating "Host unknown (Name server: IP-Of-GWIA: host not found)

Does anyone else have experience with this? I appreciate any insights.

0
rreuter
7/12/2007 9:27:34 PM
novell.groupwise.7x.gwia 3041 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ryan wrote:

> We cannot get mail to transfer from our existing system to GW. A packet
> trace shows traffic going to our GWIA. I don't see anything showing up in
> our GW logs. It would be great to have an error message on the GW side to
> research. We just get a return email message back from our mail server
> stating "Host unknown (Name server: IP-Of-GWIA: host not found)

Well, I don't know what you see in your packet trace, but both, the fact
that you don't see anything in GWIA, as well as your sendmail error
message, clearly state that the two cannot talk. As for why, I can only
guess.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:51:37 +0000, Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Well, I don't know what you see in your packet trace, but both, the fact
> that you don't see anything in GWIA, as well as your sendmail error
> message, clearly state that the two cannot talk. As for why, I can only
> guess.

With the error he posted, I'd say he needs to first look into possible DNS
and/or firewall issues.

--
Joe Marton
Novell Support Forum SysOp