gwia agent terminated - unstable gwia

SLES 9.3, GWIA 7.0.3 on NSS volume, gwava4.  This implementation has
been very unstable from the beginning with various problems. Now the
gwia just randomly stops for no apparent reason.  This is the incoming
mail server so it is a big deal when mail stops processing.

Has anyone had similar experiences?  Suggestions?  Why doesn't the gwia
process check itself and automatically restart?  Is there a more stable
setup?

Any and all thoughts are very much appreciated!

Teresa

--
tmcgoffin

tmcgoffin
7/16/2008 3:26:02 PM
novell.groupwise.7x.gwia 3041 articles. 0 followers. Follow

tmcgoffin,

correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

http://support.novell.com/forums/faq_general.html

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0
Automatic
7/22/2008 6:52:36 PM
I'm not sure what causes it, but it's a big problem.
(1)  setup another GWIA.  I have 2 servers each with MTA and GWIA, and
mail routes to them both through 2 MX records.
(2)  you still need to know if a GWIA fails, and restart it.  To do
this I wrote a script:

cat /usr/local/bin/checkgwagents.sh
#!/bin/bash
# Check status of GroupWise Agents, and restart as required
# Paul Woodward
# 22 August 2008
# Version 1.0
TMPFILE=/tmp/gwstatus.txt
BODY=/tmp/gwstatus_body.txt
RCGRPWISE=/usr/sbin/rcgrpwise
SERVER=`/bin/hostname`
MAILFROM="$SERVER"@wwf.org.uk
MAILTO=italerts@wwf.org.uk
#MAILTO=pwoodward@wwf.org.uk
SUBJECT="GroupWise Agent error on $SERVER"
AGENTS="WWF-UK-GW2 WWF-UK-GW2.ukgwia2 ukwaa2"

# Get current status of all agents
$RCGRPWISE status > $TMPFILE 2>&1

# Check if any agents flagged as "unused" (stopped) or "failed"
(crashed)
if grep -q unused $TMPFILE || grep -q failed $TMPFILE
then
# Initialise email body
echo "" > $BODY
if grep -q unused $TMPFILE                     # if an agent is
stopped
then
echo "The following GroupWise agents on $SERVER are stopped" >>
$BODY
grep unused $TMPFILE >> $BODY
echo "" >> $BODY
fi

if grep -q failed $TMPFILE                     # if an agent has
crashed
then
echo "The following GroupWise agents on $SERVER are not
responding" >> $BODY
grep failed $TMPFILE >> $BODY
echo "" >> $BODY
fi

echo "Current status of all agents:" >> $BODY
cat $TMPFILE >> $BODY
echo "" >> $BODY

# If an agent has crashed we should stop all the agents
if grep -q failed $TMPFILE
then
echo "Stopping all GroupWise agents..." >> $BODY
$RCGRPWISE stop >> $BODY 2>&1
echo "" >> $BODY
fi

# We restart the agents listed.  Usually we don't restart the DVA,
as it
# starts/stops automatically with the WebAccess Agent.
echo "Attempting to start agents..." >> $BODY
for AGENT in $AGENTS
do
$RCGRPWISE start $AGENT >> $BODY 2>&1
done
echo "" >> $BODY

# Add agent status to email, so we can see if they started properly
echo "Updated status of all agents:" >> $BODY
$RCGRPWISE status > $TMPFILE 2>&1
cat $TMPFILE >> $BODY
echo "" >> $BODY

# Send email notification.  See /root/.mailrc for setting external
SMTP server!
# Don't use the GWIA on the localhost, since this could be down!
nail -r "$MAILFROM" -s "${SUBJECT}" ${MAILTO} < "$BODY"
fi

That's it.  You need to use another SMTP server to deliver your
notifications, as the GWIA may be down.  If you don't want it to restart
the agents just rem those bits out.

A better monitoring solution is probably something like nagios, but
this is a quick and dirty solution.  I have it run every 2 minutes via
cron.  Hope it helps.

Paul W.

--
paul_woodward
paul_woodward's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=6801

0
paul
8/24/2008 9:26:02 PM
I have found SP3 HP1 a lot better.  My problem seems to be some outgoing
SMTP messages were not being handled by the GWIA, and  a subset of these
would make it crash.  Check /domain/wpgate/gwia/gwprob/*.BAD.  As far as
I can tell, if they are text files they are inbound, and if not they are
wordperfect (groupwise) files, which are outbound messages.

Paul W.

--
paul_woodward
paul_woodward's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=6801
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=336498

0
paul
9/1/2008 1:36:01 PM
I had to Open an SR on this problem with the GWIA Crashing, it was on
SLES 10 but it was GW 7.0.3 hp1a and I still had the same problem.
Below is what fixed it for me at two different sights.. Maybe it will
help.

vi /etc/security/limits.conf

*          soft   nproc       2047

*         hard   nproc       16384

*         soft   nofile       2048

*         hard   nofile      65536

--
Paul Gibbs, CNE - Syndesi Solutions
pgibbs@syndesisolutions.com
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=336498

0
paul2282
9/1/2008 2:26:01 PM
Hi Teresa,
I had been having a very similar problem on Gwia 7.03hp1 on NetWare 6.5
sp7.
I'd start getting calls from my loyal IMAP users that they could not
connect.  The could not connect because GWIA was not loaded...MTA
was...not GWIA.  The logs, even in Verbose mode said the GWIA agent is
unloading and bang.  gone...no abend, no  "See ya", no nothin' on the
way out.
I had also been having a problem with the TONS of
mailer-daemon@myserver.mydomain.edu and 550 user unknow errors.  I
finally added the server name to the "Internet Addressing" for the
domain and they went away.  The slacking of the internal chatter (knock
wood) seems to have aleviated the problem.

Good luck,
Kat

--
katagain
katagain's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=29957
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=336498

0
katagain
9/1/2008 5:06:01 PM
Thanks for the tuning parameters.  Was that 7.0.3 hp1 or 7.0.2 hp1a?
There is no 7.0.3 hp1a!

Paul W.

--
paul_woodward
paul_woodward's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=6801
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=336498

0
paul
9/2/2008 2:16:02 PM
Sorry - GW 7.0.3 hp1  on SLES 10 SP1

--
Paul Gibbs, CNE - Syndesi Solutions
pgibbs@syndesisolutions.com
http://www.syndesisolutions.com
paul2282's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1841
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=336498

0
paul2282
9/2/2008 10:06:02 PM
There was also a fix in 7.0.3 hp1 for the GWIA crashing, but the tuning
listed above also helped.

--
Paul Gibbs, CNE - Syndesi Solutions
pgibbs@syndesisolutions.com
http://www.syndesisolutions.com
paul2282's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1841
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=336498

0
paul2282
9/2/2008 10:06:02 PM
I can't understand why these tuning params would help if the agents run
as root?  Root doesn't have any limits on number of files it can open or
processes it can run.  Am I missing something?
Paul W.

--
paul_woodward
paul_woodward's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=6801
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=336498

0
paul

Web resources about - gwia agent terminated - unstable gwia - novell.groupwise.7x.gwia

Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) is an oligomer of butadiene terminated at each end with a hydroxyl functional group . It reacts with ...

Back to the Future Part 2 (6/12) Movie CLIP - Future Marty Is Terminated (1989) HD - YouTube
Back to the Future Part 2 Movie Clip - watch all clips http://j.mp/zWrk0s click to subscribe http://j.mp/sNDUs5 When future Marty (Michael J. ...

Zac Guildford has New Zealand Rugby Union contract terminated
Former All Blacks winger Zac Guildford has had his contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union terminated, freeing him for a move to France.

Malthouse contract 'terminated, effective immediately' (01:11)
Watch Carlton president Mark LoGiudice announce that Mick Malthouse had been sacked as senior coach.

Unions say royal commission must be terminated amid Dyson Heydon furore
The national union movement has demanded the termination of the royal commission into union corruption after revelations commission boss Dyson ...

Terminated pregnancies 'may have been viable'
Misdiagnoses of early miscarriage may be leading doctors to inadvertently terminate healthy pregnancies, ultrasound experts have warned.

Zac Guildford has New Zealand Rugby Union contract terminated
Former All Blacks winger Zac Guildford has had his contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union terminated, freeing him for a move to France.

Pakistan Sesame Street's US funding terminated
The U.S. has terminated funding for a $20 million US project to develop a Pakistani version of Sesame Street, amid allegations of corruption ...

Vancouver Canucks Concession Staff's Contract Terminated
... were given notices telling them that their employer Aramark&apos;s contract at the arena, which was supposed to last into 2015, had been terminated ...

Apple reportedly terminated contract w/ Alabama lobbyist over his same-sex marriage opposition
... Cook Check out 9to5Mac for more breaking coverage of AAPL Company , Apple , and Tim Cook . What do you think? Discuss "Apple reportedly terminated ...