To Cache or Not To Cache?

Hello,

I'd like the opinion of the community on this question. We've just
completed a migration from Exchange 5.5 to GroupWise 7. Migration went
well. Right now, everyone is using WebAccess but I am rolling out the
GroupWise Windows client (with latest FTFs) along with an updated XP SP2
workstation image shortly, to the office people. They had been using
Outlook with Exchange, no caching.

We have 6 locations with office people. About 25 are local to the PO
server. The other locations, ranging from 25 to 8 per location are
connected to the PO server via a T-1 WAN link.

If you were deploying, what would you use? If you use caching mode,
would you place the cache on the local hard drive (C:) or locate it in
the user's home directory on the local server where the cached PO can be
backed up, and remain available even after a workstation image?

Thanks for your help!

--Dave Arre
Supervisor of Technology Operations
Bethel, CT Public Schools
0
me
3/27/2006 2:28:23 PM
novell.groupwise.7x.clients 10530 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Why would you want to backup the cached PO?  It's a copy of what's on
the GroupWise server, which presumably is already backed up.

Caching mode is good, particularly for laptop users, who aren't always
connected.  To me, putting the cache on the user's home directory on the
server defeats the purpose of being able to access the email without
being connected to the PO.

There may be other reasons to use caching mode, but to me, it only makes
sense to have the cache on the local hard drive of the client.

We've had our PO abend or otherwise go down on us so many times while
we're still in the process of implemetation that we've considered
setting all the clients up in caching mode just so they won't complain
so much when the PO is restarting.

me@bhs.lan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like the opinion of the community on this question. We've just
> completed a migration from Exchange 5.5 to GroupWise 7. Migration went
> well. Right now, everyone is using WebAccess but I am rolling out the
> GroupWise Windows client (with latest FTFs) along with an updated XP SP2
> workstation image shortly, to the office people. They had been using
> Outlook with Exchange, no caching.
>
> We have 6 locations with office people. About 25 are local to the PO
> server. The other locations, ranging from 25 to 8 per location are
> connected to the PO server via a T-1 WAN link.
>
> If you were deploying, what would you use? If you use caching mode,
> would you place the cache on the local hard drive (C:) or locate it in
> the user's home directory on the local server where the cached PO can be
> backed up, and remain available even after a workstation image?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> --Dave Arre
> Supervisor of Technology Operations
> Bethel, CT Public Schools

0
David
3/27/2006 3:38:39 PM
A few reasons why Novell implemented 'caching' mode.... Not all of these
reasons may apply to you, but you can at least consider them.

1.  Increased performance - getting data from your local drive is always
going to be faster than across the wire
2.  Greater stability - you are not dependent upon the network or the
POA.... if either goes down, you can still access your mailbox...
3.  mailbox size - you can grow your mailbox as big as you need without
interferring with the administrator policies on 'server' side mailbox size
limits.   The administrator can force this, now, in caching, but if they
don't, your caching mailbox can be as large as you want.
4.  Greater scalability of your POA = more users per post office

Those are at least a few things to consider....

Dean Lythgoe
GroupWise Engineering

<bESVf.10546$_K3.5988@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, <me@bhs.lan> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like the opinion of the community on this question. We've just
> completed a migration from Exchange 5.5 to GroupWise 7. Migration went
> well. Right now, everyone is using WebAccess but I am rolling out the
> GroupWise Windows client (with latest FTFs) along with an updated XP SP2
>
> workstation image shortly, to the office people. They had been using
> Outlook with Exchange, no caching.
>
> We have 6 locations with office people. About 25 are local to the PO
> server. The other locations, ranging from 25 to 8 per location are
> connected to the PO server via a T-1 WAN link.
>
> If you were deploying, what would you use? If you use caching mode,
> would you place the cache on the local hard drive (C:) or locate it in
> the user's home directory on the local server where the cached PO can be
>
> backed up, and remain available even after a workstation image?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> --Dave Arre
> Supervisor of Technology Operations
> Bethel, CT Public Schools
0
Dean
3/30/2006 6:43:16 AM
--____NWXGKPZWFCVPELLBSIXC____
	-0600"

We use cached mailboxes for all of our users.  The cached mailbox is on =
their local hard drive.  A cached mailbox offers several nice advantages.  =
First it drastically reduces the load on your Post office server as it =
limits the number of simultaneous TCP/IP connections hitting you server at =
once.  In a system of 1000 or so users you might only see 50-60 simultaneou=
s connections as opposed 1000 with online mailboxes.  Also, a cached =
mailbox is available when the system is down.