Moving Users to a new Post Office - Questions about user moves

Hello,
 I am planning to move users in five small post offices to a single new
Post Office for consolidation.  I have read TID# 10067427 and the
GroupWise 6.5 Documentation.  My POA's have been upgraded since the days
of WordPerfect Office 4.0 version by version to what they are today, GW
6.5.2 POA's.  They have never had any real DB maintenance with GWCHECK
over the years.  They function fine, but I'm sure they are not as clean
or streamlined as they could be.  My question are these:  What would be
the "best practice" to ensure 207 individual user moves will retain
everything in tact after the move?  Should I perform some sort of
maintenance on the GW DB's?  Will this maintenance cause any item loss if
some DB cleanup is performed?  I just want to do as little apologizing as
possible after the moves.  I know about un-assigning and re-assigning
resource ownership and moving the resources to the new POA.  I also know
about limiting the number of actual users moves at a time to five or less
based on the size of the users mailbox.  We won't be asking our users to
archive their stuff so as not to alarm them, but we will be asking them
to clean up their mailboxes and dump their trash.  Any experiences or
helpful information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott
0
scottb
10/27/2005 11:53:13 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.install 6728 articles. 0 followers. Follow

scottb@clackamas.edu,

>Hello,
>  I am planning to move users in five small post offices to a single new
>Post Office for consolidation.  I have read TID# 10067427 and the
>GroupWise 6.5 Documentation.  My POA's have been upgraded since the days
>of WordPerfect Office 4.0 version by version to what they are today, GW
>6.5.2 POA's.  They have never had any real DB maintenance with GWCHECK
>over the years.  They function fine, but I'm sure they are not as clean
>or streamlined as they could be.  My question are these:  What would be
>the "best practice" to ensure 207 individual user moves will retain
>everything in tact after the move?  Should I perform some sort of
>maintenance on the GW DB's?  Will this maintenance cause any item loss if
>some DB cleanup is performed?  I just want to do as little apologizing as
>possible after the moves.  I know about un-assigning and re-assigning
>resource ownership and moving the resources to the new POA.  I also know
>about limiting the number of actual users moves at a time to five or less
>based on the size of the users mailbox.  We won't be asking our users to
>archive their stuff so as not to alarm them, but we will be asking them
>to clean up their mailboxes and dump their trash.  Any experiences or
>helpful information will be greatly appreciated.

I work in a high level local government location, and I have found that
when moving users like you propose, running a full set of maintenance
against the existing post office using the stand alone GW Check (use the
one from 6.5.4) like the week before the move, run it again the day of the
move, and run again once the users have been moved. I have also found that
resetting client options before moving ensures a nice clean move, though
the users might complain about losing their signatures. <g>
BTW, with Live Move, my co-Admin and I moved an entire post office, with
255 users, 50 resources, 35 distribution lists in less than three hours
with only four user exceptions (they were whackos anyhow, my co-Admin said
<g>)

--
Lindsey Johnstone
NSC SysOp
> 6.5.2 POA's.  They have never had any real DB maintenance with GWCHECK
> over the years.  They function fine, but I'm sure they are not as clean

It wouldn't hurt to setup regular maintenance. We use Tim Heywood's
recommendations:
Daily - Structure Check with Index and Fix.
Weekly - Contents Check, collect Statistics with Fix and reset user
disk space totals.
Weekly - Reduce of user databases (this is a "pack" in dbase speak)
Weekly - Audit of users for the past 90 days

The fifth event is the disk space check which should have the
threshold increased to a level of 500 MB as opposed to the default 20

Cheers,

Edward

0
Edward
10/28/2005 3:26:00 AM
Thanks to you both for your info.
Scott
0
scottb

Move user to a new post office
I need to move a user on NW60SP4 with GW6.0.4 from one container and post office to another. The eDirectory user account needs to move from its existing user container to another container within the same tree, along with the GW user account moving from a post office in the primary domain to another post office in a secondary domain. What is the best approach? -- Geoff Geoff, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try on...

Moving Post office users from one Post office to another?
Is it possible to move users from a GroupWise 6.0 Sp4 post office to a GroupWise 7.0 post office? We currently are running GroupWise 6.0 and we are setting up a new server where I have installed Groupwise 7.0. So far it is a testing server but if it runs good I may just put it into action. Just wondering, Ken@rlmrlm.com The easiest thing would be to copy the old system to the new server change the UNCs and IPs, then reload the agents. Can you move users, yes. I would only do about 5 at a time. Wait until each set of moves completed prior to starting another! -- Timo...

User cannot login after being moved to new Post Office

Troubleshooting errors when moving users to new Post Office
I have moved 300 or so users from an existing PO to a new PO in the same domain. Most completed successfully. A handful have not completed successfully with items remaining to be sent and the cryptic "Could not '_NgwrepAddRecord'" error in the log files. Any ideas on what this means? I've looked for documentation, but haven't located anything on it? We're using Groupwise 6.5, I moved them programmatically with the Groupwise Admin API and I'm troubleshooting with the user move status utility and log files. terrykd@auburn.edu, > I have moved ...

Missing messages after moving user to new post office
Hi, Thanks in advance for any help! We moved all users from one post office to another post office on another server using the GW addins in Console one. The users all moved, but the messages and passwords didn't. Does anyone know of a way to move those over from backup without having to login as each user? The move was from one GW 7.03 system to another 7.03 system. Both on Netware 6.5. Thanks, Bryan -- bryalexander02 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bryalexander02 wrote: > > Hi, > > Thanks in ...

Groupwise move user from gw5 to gw6 post office
We've just setup a new post office (gw 6 ) and are moving our users gradually from a gw 5 po onto the gw 6 po. Has worked ok up to now but since yesterday any users moved are showing in the new po (in ConsoleOne) but the log file is not showing the move process having even started. It's as tho it's pending somewhere. OFUSER exists in both post offices. I've tried to force the move by restarting via the POA but nothing appears to be happening. Jmk, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has t...

User cannot login after being moved to new Post Office #2
Sorry for the double post, user error. I am running GW 5.5 with WebAccess on a NW 5.1 box. I recently moved a few users to a new Post Office under the same domain. The users can no longer use WebAccess. They receive a "mailbox unavailable error" whenever they try to log in. The server shows that they are being rejected for a password error. I have tried resetting the passwords from the client and can log in to their accounts using the full client with the new password. I have also tried using the GWID.PO.Domain syntax to log in with no luck. Any s...

moving GW 7 users to new G7 post office
The situation: our department is being merged into another one and our GW 7 server will be decommisioned. The other dept will provide GW 7 for us. My questions: - what is the best way for us to move our email accounts to this new GW 7 server? ( they will create a PO for us and our email address will not be changed.) - is it best to backup our entire PO, then create a PO for our dept on the new server, then just restore our data to that PO and then re-route our mail to the new GWIA? - or is best to create the PO in the new dept then move users one at a time? please advise...

Restore area not working, moved all users to new post office
So I just finished moving all my users from an old post office server to a new one. I used live move and moved 2 to 4 accounts at a time until I was finished. Seemed to go fairly well. Now we have someone needing mail restored from September 2008, back when they were on the old post office. I set my new server up for restore area, restored the old post office that contained that user. When I go to BACKUP area from the client, get an hour glass and the POA threads max out and everyone starts calling saying their GW is really slow. After about 2 minutes, I get an error in my c...

Move user to new post office, backup location not working
--____RMCKGLQEFOQBSYKAEBYW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Fri, 10 Aug 2006 09:17:32 -0500" I recently combined all of our faculty and administrative users from two = post offices (adm01 and fac01) into a third new post office on the same = server (emp01). I had set up (and was working) a GroupWise restore = location (with the data on the same volume as the actual post offices.) = After the move, none of the users seem to be able to access the restore = locat...

user renamed (ie moved) and is stuck
A regional admin renamed a user (same eDir OU) and now the account is stuck in Pending Move. When I look at the move user utility, it says last move status is "Destination Post Office Updated" . When connected to the owning domain or the primary domain, it showed as stuck in Pending move. When I connected to a different secondary domain, I could open the account without a problem. I disassociated the GW and the NDS objects from the secondary domain, and that propagated through the system. When I go to open the account after doing so, it now shows as "grayed out" ...

Move User won't move user
--____XMFCRWIFWMGMITWJHJNI____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable In ConsoleOne I selected a user, right-click, Move to move the user's = mailbox to another PO in the same tree. Before starting the move I = changed her extension and watched that propagate to the Address Book to be = sure updates were working. 12 hours later the target POA is displaying a = pair of messages every 5 minutes: <Move.>Requesting User Data: userid <Move.>Queue Deferred Retry Message: userid Messages are flowing between the p...

Moving users between Post Offices
--____YUELTDERAFNWFLIGVNIE____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 26 Apr 2006 15:11:13 +0100" Hi there, I can successfully move a user from one Post Office to another, but once I = have done this, the IP address is not automatically selected for the = correct Post Office anymore. For example if I run the GW client with a = different IP address in the login box and then I change the username the = IP address will not select the post office I have moved the user ...

User moves between Post Offices
Good Morning - I am in a process or migrating a customer from NetWare to OES2. The customer has GroupWise 7.01 running on NetWare 6.5. I have setup and configured a OES2 cluster with two new post office. To improve performance of the current system, we are moving 1500+ users from a single post office to the two new post offices. All these are live moves and it looks like I am beginning to see users that are missing mail in folder under their cabinet. If a message was marked unread then it's there, but anything read is missing. This does not happen to everyone but it d...

moved users to post office
Hi. I moved my users from one post office to another and now console one still tells me the user is "Pending Move", when the user move status says "destination post office updated" but also has an error that says duplicate user.... but this is false and it won't let me clear status. The users mail works and users seeem fine from any indication here. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks Lori, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your pro...

Web resources about - Moving Users to a new Post Office - Questions about user moves - novell.groupwise.6x.install

New questions about San Bernardino shooters
The FBI says that the couple was radicalized and took target practice before the shooting. Melissa Chan reports.

A few questions for Donald Trump regarding his call for a “total and complete shutdown” of Muslim immigration ...
I guess it was only a matter of time: BREAKING: Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United ...

Tesla hasn't answered questions about early Model S reliability
Filed under: Green , Tesla , Green Automakers , Electric It appears that there are a fair number of problems with 2012-2013 Model S EVs. Whether ...

"Donald Trump's reprehensible call to bar Muslim immigrants from entering the United States tracks an ...
"Would such a proposal be constitutional? The answer is not what you might think..." Unless you've read all the many other op-eds dotted about ...

Media moral posing and the unasked Trump question
Media moral posing and the unasked Trump question by digby I wrote about Trump and the media today for Salon. Here's an excerpt in which I discuss ...

12 questions you'll have to answer if you want to work at Snapchat
If you want to work at one of the hottest tech companies in the world, you will have to answer a few questions first. Snapchat is valued at ...

Chipotle should rebound the question is when
Restaurant chain faces challenge in addressing the food-safety concerns raised by recent E.

Paris Climate Agreement’s Legal Form Explained In 7 Questions
Originally published on WRI. By Eliza Northrop and David Waskow What will be the outcome of the Paris climate negotiations — an agreement? A ...

Internet questions Jony Ive’s sanity with new iPhone battery case
Apple’s new Smart Battery Case just gave “fugly” a new definition: Functional, but ugly. The new case came as a surprise this morning, offering ...