Move USERS to NEW Groupwise System (new Tree/Server)

Hello,
I'm currently running a GW6.0sp3 on NW4.11sp9 on a low end hardware.
I have new hardware on which I have installed GW6.5sp2 on NW6.5SP2.
Both servers have different tree,server,context names and Groupwise
system name.

How to move users?

TID's have explained between move to different domains, po's, nds tree
but not Groupwise System.

Please help me.

Thanks
Kris

0
k_mrNOSPAM
8/30/2004 8:29:44 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.install 6728 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You can't. Not without TREMENDOUS work.

Don't do this unless you have a good reason. Just UPGRADE the copy of the gw
system and graft into the new tree.

--
Michael J. Bell
Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com)

PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked.
I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee!

All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell's unless
specifically identified as such.

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

"You've got a way to keep me on your side/You give me cause
for love that I can't hide/For you I know I'd even try to
turn the tide/Because you're mine, I walk the line"

Johnny Cash (RIP)

<k_mrNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm currently running a GW6.0sp3 on NW4.11sp9 on a low end hardware.
> I have new hardware on which I have installed GW6.5sp2 on NW6.5SP2.
> Both servers have different tree,server,context names and Groupwise
> system name.
>
> How to move users?
>
> TID's have explained between move to different domains, po's, nds tree
> but not Groupwise System.
>
> Please help me.
>
> Thanks
> Kris

0
Michael
8/30/2004 8:56:14 PM
Two main reasons are
a. NW4.11sp9 on old hardware.
b. /ARI-NEVER not working.

Even if I take the route of upgrade (using already purchased caledonia
upgrade guide for GW6.5), how can I move the Groupwise system to NEW
HARDWARE? and how to upgrade to OS NW6.5SP2? (long procedure hmmmmm)

Please outline me procedure to do both ways.

Appreciate much help.

Thanks
Kris

0
k_mrNOSPAM
8/30/2004 9:44:31 PM
1. Upgrade: You copy the domain and po to the new server. You reinstall the
agents and graft the objects into the new tree.
2. You export everyone's FID and everyone manually archives everything and
manually exports their address booksYou then reimport their FIDS (via
import/export in C1) and everyone unarchives, imports ab.. as a side note
alarms, shared folders, shared address books are all broken

--

> Two main reasons are
> a. NW4.11sp9 on old hardware.
> b. /ARI-NEVER not working.
>
> Even if I take the route of upgrade (using already purchased caledonia
> upgrade guide for GW6.5), how can I move the Groupwise system to NEW
> HARDWARE? and how to upgrade to OS NW6.5SP2? (long procedure hmmmmm)
>
> Please outline me procedure to do both ways.
>
> Appreciate much help.
>
> Thanks
> Kris

0
Michael
8/30/2004 10:28:51 PM
> 1. Upgrade: You copy the domain and po to the new server. You reinstall
the
> agents and graft the objects into the new tree.
Do I need to upgrade old server GW6 to 6.5 and then move to new server?
or
move domain and po to new server and then upgrade to 6.5?
Please provide me little more insight.

Case 2: thatz whole lot to do ;)

k_mrNOSPAM
8/30/2004 11:21:04 PM
Either is an acceptable option. The copy then upgrade is perhaps more
pleasing because it gives you a quick fall back if all does not workout.

--

> > 1. Upgrade: You copy the domain and po to the new server. You reinstall
> the
> > agents and graft the objects into the new tree.
> Do I need to upgrade old server GW6 to 6.5 and then move to new server?
> or
> move domain and po to new server and then upgrade to 6.5?
> Please provide me little more insight.
>

> Case 2: thatz whole lot to do ;)
>
> Thanks

0
Michael
8/31/2004 3:09:08 AM
> The copy then upgrade is perhaps more
> pleasing because it gives you a quick fall back if all does not workout.
Thanks Mike.
Any TID's you can provide me?
Do I need to keep Tree/Server/Context same for this move in NEW server?
Thanks.
0
k_mrNOSPAM
9/1/2004 1:25:26 PM
No, regrafting gets you past that.

--

> > The copy then upgrade is perhaps more
> > pleasing because it gives you a quick fall back if all does not workout.
> Thanks Mike.
> Any TID's you can provide me?
> Do I need to keep Tree/Server/Context same for this move in NEW server?
> Thanks.

0
Michael
9/1/2004 5:11:39 PM
Move was like a breeze. followed Tid 10007622. Regrafted
Domain/Postoffice once grafted into NEW TREE/SERVER/CONTEXT. Also I
grafted users as Groupwise External Entity and later converted into NDS
users by re-grafting.
I had a little hick-up in WebAccess part. Not in installation but getting
TomCat up. I had to recreate .keystore file. Followed TID 10091686,
2969539, 10087091.

How do I make iManager work only with Private IP? Right now it works for
both Private/Public IP.
Other problem I have is for some reason in Link Configuration Postoffice
to Domain link always refers to old server UNC path. I had to make it as
IP. It saves and works. But Once I go back in link configuration I lose
that saved info (Link will be blank). And POA stops communicating
(Message Transfer Status).
Please help.

Thanks
Kris
0
k_mrNOSPAM
9/6/2004 11:40:42 PM
I believe if you choose OVERRIDE in link config, it will stick.

--

> Move was like a breeze. followed Tid 10007622. Regrafted
> Domain/Postoffice once grafted into NEW TREE/SERVER/CONTEXT. Also I
> grafted users as Groupwise External Entity and later converted into NDS
> users by re-grafting.
> I had a little hick-up in WebAccess part. Not in installation but getting
> TomCat up. I had to recreate .keystore file. Followed TID 10091686,
> 2969539, 10087091.
>
> How do I make iManager work only with Private IP? Right now it works for
> both Private/Public IP.
> Other problem I have is for some reason in Link Configuration Postoffice
> to Domain link always refers to old server UNC path. I had to make it as
> IP. It saves and works. But Once I go back in link configuration I lose
> that saved info (Link will be blank). And POA stops communicating
> (Message Transfer Status).
> Please help.
>
> Thanks
> Kris

0
Michael
9/6/2004 11:43:48 PM
a.
> I believe if you choose OVERRIDE in link config, it will stick.

I don't find this option in Link configuration.

b. Interestingly after I regrafted users I see in Groupwise View NDS ICON
but in NDS View I see same users as Groupwise External Entity ICON. Why?

c. any thought on iManager issue?

k_mrNOSPAM
9/7/2004 12:27:36 AM
Sorry no access to a ConsoleOne right now to help ya. The iManager is best
asked in the NDS forums. As for the other it looks like the GW and the NDS
users are not grafted together. Why I don't know if they were the same
context.

--

> a.
> > I believe if you choose OVERRIDE in link config, it will stick.
> >
> I don't find this option in Link configuration.
>
> b. Interestingly after I regrafted users I see in Groupwise View NDS ICON
> but in NDS View I see same users as Groupwise External Entity ICON. Why?
>
> c. any thought on iManager issue?
>
> Thanks

0
Michael
9/7/2004 1:07:35 AM
a. Then, how to fix it?
b. I regrafted highlighting the domain in groupwise view would that make
sense? (how to revert make it making it as groupwise external entity)
c. I will post iManager question over NDS forum.

k_mrNOSPAM

Moving Groupwise to a new system with a new Groupwise domain name
Hi, I am in the process of moving an existing GW system to a new Groupwise server. The client did not like the existing GW domain name so a new one has been created on the new server. The server name, IP address and GW domain will have different names. I have created the new GW domain in a new context (both old and new are in the same tree) with the MTA and POA and everything comes up on the new server. I have configured link configuration on each server to see each other. One problem I have is that either MTA sees the other domain as closed. I think I just need to change the I...

Moving GroupWise Archives to a new GroupWise System
We want to trash the current GroupWise server and re-install it - the basic O/S has too many problems. I want to create a new server, re-install GroupWise, but I don't want to lose any mail or mail archives. Is it possible to be able to resurrect a user's GroupWise Archive on a complete new system? I presume it isn't as easy as just copying the Domain and Post Office Directories (they are in a separate volume called MAIL:) to the new server. Must the new server have the same name and IP Address or can customer change the name when we re-install? Would it be easi...

Move groupwise mailboxes to new domain in new tree
Hi, maybe you can help me. We have installed an two new server with newtare 6.5 and an new tree. On one server groupwise 6.5 is installed. Is there an possibility to move/ copy the mail boxes from the old groupwise (6.0) to the new one. We have decided to create an new tree because the iinherentence of pour systemmanagment of the previous system-engineer. Are the GW6.0 and 6.5 in the same GW System ??? If so, just move the user, and if not: Archive all. Change FID using the FID Editor. Login on new system and dearchive. Q: Why not just install the agents on the ...

GroupWise system move to new tree
Hi, We have Novell servers at 4 sites. We upgraded to Netware 6, and during this upgrade, migrated to a new tree. The head office is Netware 6 in the new tree (3 servers), as is 1 of the remote sites. 2 sites remain on NW4.11 / 5 in the old tree. The GroupWise system has been grafted (the 2 domains located where the upgrades have taken place) to the new tree, leaving 2 other domains at the old tree. The problem is, the graft hasn't worked, and all the GW objects at the head office still refer back to the objects on the old tree. What is the best way forward? Is ...

Moving groupwise to new server in same tree
Running gw6sp3 on a nw51sp7 box, want to move gw to new nw65 box and remove nw51sp7 from tree... Found TID10007622. Any advice or suggestions on how to do this? Thanks Paul it really is as simple as copy the db files over and install the agents on the new server. Then check the paths in the .poa and .mta files and in C1 and you are done.. Tim On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:27:32 GMT, "Paulo R Oliveira" <pro@ntplx.net> wrote: >Running gw6sp3 on a nw51sp7 box, want to move gw to new nw65 box and remove >nw51sp7 from tree... Found TID10007622. Any advice or...

Moving users to a new GroupWise system
We need detailed instructions on how to move users (PO, mailbox, settings) from a NW5/GW5.5 server to a new NW6.5/GW6.5 server. We have named the new server w/ the same tree name, so the two will not exist on the same network. We'll bring the old one down and replace it w/ the new one. We have installed NW6.5 on the new server, but haven't created any users or installed GW6.5 yet b/c we are unsure about what would be the best way to move this data to the new server (w/o having to do upgrades to the old server or put the old GW on the new one). There must be an easy ...

Moving Groupwise system to new server
I have had my current Groupwise (now version 7) server for about 7 years now and am thinking about moving it this summer to a brand new machine. I have found some documentation that suggests this is actually an easy task. Can anyone offer me some advice? It appears you just move the entire directory structure to the new server and change the path in C1 on the groupwise objects. Is it really that simple? I think my new server would have a new name, would that create any problems? Thanks in advance. Rodney It is that simple, it only gets a bit more involved if you are using...

How to easily move Groupwise to new server and tree
We are moving our Groupwise system onto a new server and into a new tree. We have around 1000 Groupwise users. According to TID 10007622 ( Moving a GroupWise system to new server in new NDS tree )this means we will have to manually create our 1000 NDS user objects on the new server and then graft across the corresponding GW users from the old server. Surely there is a quicker way to do this ! Is there an export / import utility available ? There must be Companies out there with several thousand users more than we have - surely we don't have to do all this manually ??? ...

moving groupwise server and accounts to a new tree?
Greetings: I'm in a situation where a branch of my company is severing ties and moving to a new location. The big company uses Lotus Notes on an AS/400 for messaging, but Netware 6 for file, print etc. The branch that is leaving has its own server in the big company's tree and uses Groupwise 6.5 on a NW6 sp3 server for messaging. How do I remove the Groupwise server from the main tree and make a new tree out of it, without losing all the Groupwise stuff? Is it possible? If not, what would be the best way to archive the accounts so the users still have access to them if I have to...

How to easily move Groupwise to new server and tree
I've been advised to post this on this forum after putting it in the Groupwise forum previously . . . We are moving our Groupwise system onto a new server and into a new tree. We have around 1000 Groupwise users. According to TID 10007622 ( Moving a GroupWise system to new server in new NDS tree )this means we will have to manually create our 1000 NDS user objects on the new server and then graft across the corresponding GW users from the old server. Surely there is a quicker way to do this ! Is there an export / import utility available ? There must be Companies out the...

Moving Groupwise Users to a PO in a NEW tree
Hello, I'm running two test servers for a proposed migration for a client of ours. I have a Netware 6 Server running Groupwise 6.5 SP6 with its own tree and a Netware 6.5 Server running Groupwise 6.5 Sp6 with its own tree We are trying to move the users from one post office on the old tree, to a postoffice on a system in the new tree. Console one is running from a workstation with the groupwise snapins up to date and working. I am using the following TID: 'Novell Documentation' (http://tinyurl.com/6yf9z2) I am at the section "Moving a GroupWise Account to ...

New Server
Hello, I started a thread about this on Feb 27th 2006 but need additional help. Please check the Feb 27th 2006 post with Subject: Move GroupWise to New Server - Need Assistance Please send any comments you might have. Thank you. Check the thread -- Best Regards Tommy Mikkelsen IT Quality A/S Denmark Novell Support Forums SYSOP Please Report back any success or failure, That way we all learn Sorry, but no support through email "I hate bugs".......Tommy Lee Jones, MIB Be a GroupWiseR, go http://www.groupwiser.net ...

Move users from GW6.5 System to New GW 7 Sytem on new server
We have a Tree (CBM) with a GW 6.0 System,1 Domain, 1 Po. We hace set a new server with a new NDs Tree (MU) and have loaded a fresh copy of GW 7 with a newsystem name (cbmmail) and 1 Domain and 1 PO. What is the best way of imorting the Gw 6.0 users and resources into the new system. I haven't been able to find any reference for this. Thanks Merge the two systems and then move the users. You would have been much MUCH better off just upgrading the system you had. The best way of all is to stop GW. copy the domain and PO structures to the new server, and then do an in-pl...

GroupWise install into existing tree or new tree?
We're ready for our final install of GroupWise and during the testing phase we had been installing it into it's own "Test" tree. Would any of the GW experts have any advice with the final install? Would it be best to create a GroupWise OU under the container level of our current production tree and extend the schema or install it into a new tree? If a new tree is recommended, are there any major synchronization challenges or concerns? I appreciate your advice and input concerning this matter. Thanks, Ryan Hi, Ryan wrote: > > We're re...

Web resources about - Move USERS to NEW Groupwise System (new Tree/Server) - novell.groupwise.6x.install

GroupWise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GroupWise is a messaging and collaboration platform from Novell that supports email , calendaring , personal information management , instant ...

BlackBerry Enterprise IM Clients (OCS, Sametime, GroupWise) Get v2.5 Update
Most of RIM's enterprise-specific BlackBerry instant messaging and collaboration clients have been updated to version 2.5, adding credence to ...

Los Angeles goes Google; dumps GroupWise; shuns Microsoft; ignores IBM
The City of Los Angeles has had it with GroupWise, and will replace it with Google Apps. It's a big win for la GOOG, especially as it beat Microsoft ...

Collaboration: Novell Releases GroupWise 2014
Novell has put the finishing touches on GroupWise 2014, marking the first time the company has updated the collaboration platform since 2012. ...

Novell GroupWise goes mobile with iPhone support
The company’s new mobile solution will work with any ActiveSync-enabled device Novell's messaging and collaboration platform, GroupWise, has ...

No One Cares That Novell Has A New Version of GroupWise
Today Novell released its 2012 version of its email software GroupWise , and the announcement was greeted by most with a big yawn. GroupWise? ...

Kernel for Novell GroupWise to Outlook
Kernel for Novell GroupWise to Outlook is a professional tool for the migration of GroupWise mailboxes to MS Outlook. Many GroupWise...

App Store - DejaOffice
Get DejaOffice on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Email - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Electronic mail , commonly known as email or e-mail , is a method of exchanging digital messages from an author to one or more recipients. Modern ...

SBS looks to Cloud services - cloud computing, email, GroupWise, Klaus Schelp, Microsoft Office 365 ...
When Klaus Schelp started at SBS at the beginning of this year he focused on business outcomes ahead of technology operations. As the head of ...