Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 migration

I have a bit of problem and not sure which way I should tackle this one.

I have 2 x Netware 4.11 servers, which will be upgraded to Netware 6.5 and
one of these servers have Groupwise 5.5 which will be upgraded to Groupwise
6.5.

The one server is being used for Groupwise archiving and currently setup for
UNC for archiving, i.e. p:\\ab_hp, on this server I was planning on using
the migration wizard as this server also holds the user data. On the 2nd
server which Groupwise is running and the clients are configured for tcp/ip
connectivity to the groupwise system. This server only holds the Groupwise
database and no user data files.

Because this server is running Netware 4.11 the consolidation utility does
not support Netware 4.11.

As you see, the 2nd server holding Groupwise is the problem, as the clients
are configured for ip address connectivity and going to 200 workstations to
change the ip address is not suiteable.

Any idea's on this one. (I know you can change the ip address after the
migration, but that would seem rather difficult as there would be alot of
files that need to be changed to reflect the new ip address)

John
9/8/2005 1:39:57 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.install 6728 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you have setup your groupwise correctly clients will resolve the new ip
address automatically. The client can get the address of the post office
agent in various ways.

When the client starts up it tries to browse the tree. It checks the user it
is logged in as to find out what post office it needs to find. As soon it
knows what post office to find it tries to browse the tree for the post
office object. When it has found the post office object it needs read rights
on that object to read the network information.
When this fails groupwise tries to resolve ngwnameserver. When you create a
ngwnameserver record in your DNS server to point to a Post Office agent the
groupwise client will ask that agents what post office that particular user
who is trying to login is a member of. The post office agent then will
accept the connection of refers the client to another post office.

Hopefully this helps.
Cheers,
Edward

"John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message
>I have a bit of problem and not sure which way I should tackle this one.
>
> I have 2 x Netware 4.11 servers, which will be upgraded to Netware 6.5 and
> one of these servers have Groupwise 5.5 which will be upgraded to
> Groupwise 6.5.
>
> The one server is being used for Groupwise archiving and currently setup
> for UNC for archiving, i.e. p:\\ab_hp, on this server I was planning on
> using the migration wizard as this server also holds the user data. On the
> 2nd server which Groupwise is running and the clients are configured for
> tcp/ip connectivity to the groupwise system. This server only holds the
> Groupwise database and no user data files.
>
> Because this server is running Netware 4.11 the consolidation utility does
> not support Netware 4.11.
>
> As you see, the 2nd server holding Groupwise is the problem, as the
> clients are configured for ip address connectivity and going to 200
> workstations to change the ip address is not suiteable.
>
> Any idea's on this one. (I know you can change the ip address after the
> migration, but that would seem rather difficult as there would be alot of
> files that need to be changed to reflect the new ip address)
>
> Thanks

0
Edward
9/8/2005 11:10:23 PM
The current setup is Groupwise 5.5 clients, and they will be upgraded later.
So currently the Groupwise 5.5 clients are pointing at say 192.168.1.10 and
once the Groupwise 6.5 gets installed the Groupwise server will change to
192.168.1.20.... Hence when the Groupwise 5.5 clients will try to connect to
192.168.1.10 or will it search the network and find the 192.168.1.20 server
automatically?

Thanks

-----------------

"Edward van der Maas" <edmaaREMOVE+_THIS@AND!#@!THIS_myrealbox.com> wrote in
message news:zx3Ue.1538$h61.1240@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> If you have setup your groupwise correctly clients will resolve the new ip
> address automatically. The client can get the address of the post office
> agent in various ways.
>
> When the client starts up it tries to browse the tree. It checks the user
> it is logged in as to find out what post office it needs to find. As soon
> it knows what post office to find it tries to browse the tree for the post
> office object. When it has found the post office object it needs read
> rights on that object to read the network information.
> When this fails groupwise tries to resolve ngwnameserver. When you create
> a ngwnameserver record in your DNS server to point to a Post Office agent
> the groupwise client will ask that agents what post office that particular
> user who is trying to login is a member of. The post office agent then
> will accept the connection of refers the client to another post office.
>
> Hopefully this helps.
> Cheers,
> Edward
>
> "John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message
>>I have a bit of problem and not sure which way I should tackle this one.
>>
>> I have 2 x Netware 4.11 servers, which will be upgraded to Netware 6.5
>> and one of these servers have Groupwise 5.5 which will be upgraded to
>> Groupwise 6.5.
>>
>> The one server is being used for Groupwise archiving and currently setup
>> for UNC for archiving, i.e. p:\\ab_hp, on this server I was planning on
>> using the migration wizard as this server also holds the user data. On
>> the 2nd server which Groupwise is running and the clients are configured
>> for tcp/ip connectivity to the groupwise system. This server only holds
>> the Groupwise database and no user data files.
>>
>> Because this server is running Netware 4.11 the consolidation utility
>> does not support Netware 4.11.
>>
>> As you see, the 2nd server holding Groupwise is the problem, as the
>> clients are configured for ip address connectivity and going to 200
>> workstations to change the ip address is not suiteable.
>>
>> Any idea's on this one. (I know you can change the ip address after the
>> migration, but that would seem rather difficult as there would be alot of
>> files that need to be changed to reflect the new ip address)
>>
>> Thanks

0
John
9/9/2005 12:12:32 AM
It will search for 192.168.1.20 either through NDS browsing to the poa.
Therefor the users need browse and read access rights on the po object or
just create a ngwnameserver DNS record and point that 192.168.1.20 when
you've completed your move/upgrade.

> The current setup is Groupwise 5.5 clients, and they will be upgraded
> later. So currently the Groupwise 5.5 clients are pointing at say
> 192.168.1.10 and once the Groupwise 6.5 gets installed the Groupwise
> server will change to 192.168.1.20.... Hence when the Groupwise 5.5
> clients will try to connect to
> 192.168.1.10 or will it search the network and find the 192.168.1.20
> server automatically?
>
> Thanks
>
> -----------------
>

> "Edward van der Maas" <edmaaREMOVE+_THIS@AND!#@!THIS_myrealbox.com> wrote
> in message news:zx3Ue.1538$h61.1240@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>> If you have setup your groupwise correctly clients will resolve the new
>> ip address automatically. The client can get the address of the post
>> office agent in various ways.
>>
>> When the client starts up it tries to browse the tree. It checks the user
>> it is logged in as to find out what post office it needs to find. As soon
>> it knows what post office to find it tries to browse the tree for the
>> post office object. When it has found the post office object it needs
>> read rights on that object to read the network information.
>> When this fails groupwise tries to resolve ngwnameserver. When you create
>> a ngwnameserver record in your DNS server to point to a Post Office agent
>> the groupwise client will ask that agents what post office that
>> particular user who is trying to login is a member of. The post office
>> agent then will accept the connection of refers the client to another
>> post office.
>>
>> Hopefully this helps.
>> Cheers,
>> Edward
>>
>> "John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a bit of problem and not sure which way I should tackle this one.
>>>
>>> I have 2 x Netware 4.11 servers, which will be upgraded to Netware 6.5
>>> and one of these servers have Groupwise 5.5 which will be upgraded to
>>> Groupwise 6.5.
>>>
>>> The one server is being used for Groupwise archiving and currently setup
>>> for UNC for archiving, i.e. p:\\ab_hp, on this server I was planning on
>>> using the migration wizard as this server also holds the user data. On
>>> the 2nd server which Groupwise is running and the clients are configured
>>> for tcp/ip connectivity to the groupwise system. This server only holds
>>> the Groupwise database and no user data files.
>>>
>>> Because this server is running Netware 4.11 the consolidation utility
>>> does not support Netware 4.11.
>>>
>>> As you see, the 2nd server holding Groupwise is the problem, as the
>>> clients are configured for ip address connectivity and going to 200
>>> workstations to change the ip address is not suiteable.
>>>
>>> Any idea's on this one. (I know you can change the ip address after the
>>> migration, but that would seem rather difficult as there would be alot
>>> of files that need to be changed to reflect the new ip address)
>>>
>>> Thanks

0
Edward
9/9/2005 1:21:04 AM
When doing the migration is it wise to copy all the configuration files from
sys:\system to the new server?

The directory structure and ip address will be the same as the old server.

Thanks

======================
"Edward van der Maas" <edmaaREMOVE+_THIS@AND!#@!THIS_myrealbox.com> wrote in
message news:4s5Ue.1622$h61.790@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> It will search for 192.168.1.20 either through NDS browsing to the poa.
> Therefor the users need browse and read access rights on the po object or
> just create a ngwnameserver DNS record and point that 192.168.1.20 when
> you've completed your move/upgrade.
>
> Cheers,
> Edward
>
> "John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message
>> The current setup is Groupwise 5.5 clients, and they will be upgraded
>> later. So currently the Groupwise 5.5 clients are pointing at say
>> 192.168.1.10 and once the Groupwise 6.5 gets installed the Groupwise
>> server will change to 192.168.1.20.... Hence when the Groupwise 5.5
>> clients will try to connect to
>> 192.168.1.10 or will it search the network and find the 192.168.1.20
>> server automatically?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -----------------
>>

>> "Edward van der Maas" <edmaaREMOVE+_THIS@AND!#@!THIS_myrealbox.com> wrote
>> in message news:zx3Ue.1538$h61.1240@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>>> If you have setup your groupwise correctly clients will resolve the new
>>> ip address automatically. The client can get the address of the post
>>> office agent in various ways.
>>>
>>> When the client starts up it tries to browse the tree. It checks the
>>> user it is logged in as to find out what post office it needs to find.
>>> As soon it knows what post office to find it tries to browse the tree
>>> for the post office object. When it has found the post office object it
>>> needs read rights on that object to read the network information.
>>> When this fails groupwise tries to resolve ngwnameserver. When you
>>> create a ngwnameserver record in your DNS server to point to a Post
>>> Office agent the groupwise client will ask that agents what post office
>>> that particular user who is trying to login is a member of. The post
>>> office agent then will accept the connection of refers the client to
>>> another post office.
>>>
>>> Hopefully this helps.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Edward
>>>
>>> "John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message

0
John
9/10/2005 3:07:44 PM
You can do that but reinstalling the agents will lead to same result unless
you made some specific changes to your config files.

> When doing the migration is it wise to copy all the configuration files
> from sys:\system to the new server?
>
> The directory structure and ip address will be the same as the old server.
>
> Thanks
>
> ======================
> "Edward van der Maas" <edmaaREMOVE+_THIS@AND!#@!THIS_myrealbox.com> wrote
> in message news:4s5Ue.1622$h61.790@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>> It will search for 192.168.1.20 either through NDS browsing to the poa.
>> Therefor the users need browse and read access rights on the po object or
>> just create a ngwnameserver DNS record and point that 192.168.1.20 when
>> you've completed your move/upgrade.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Edward
>>
>> "John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message
>>> The current setup is Groupwise 5.5 clients, and they will be upgraded
>>> later. So currently the Groupwise 5.5 clients are pointing at say
>>> 192.168.1.10 and once the Groupwise 6.5 gets installed the Groupwise
>>> server will change to 192.168.1.20.... Hence when the Groupwise 5.5
>>> clients will try to connect to
>>> 192.168.1.10 or will it search the network and find the 192.168.1.20
>>> server automatically?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> -----------------

0
Edward

Migrate Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5
I wonder if someone has migrated Groupwise 5.5 to 6.5? The server runs today Groupwise 5.5 without sp. --Patrik Hi Patrik, >I wonder if someone has migrated Groupwise 5.5 to 6.5? If that's the only question you have, the answer is yes. ;-) If you want to know more, take a look at THE gw upgrade guide for all other answers: http://www.caledonia.net/update65.html regards -Frank Korpershoek- :Korpershoek Networking: :tel +31 15 2130034:mob +31 6 55730822:fax +31 15 2124278: ...

GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise 6.5

GroupWise 5.5.5 client to GroupWise 6.5 System?
Will a GroupWise 5.5.5 client attach to a GroupWise 6.5 server okay for a temporary period of time? IT Staff will need time to update all of the clients manually. Want to make sure there will be no immediate loss of function after we upgrade GroupWise 5.5.5 to 6.5... THANKS! should be ok order of upgrade pri domain other domains/post offices clients gateways -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked. I'm a volunteer, not a Nov...

Groupwise 5.5 to groupwise 6.5 migration on new server
I have an existing Netware 4.11 / Groupwise 5.5 server that I wish to move to a new server. I'm planning on running the novell migration utility that will migrate all user data to the new server along with the groupwise data files. But do I simply install Groupwise 6.5 and the install will upgrade the 5.5 database to 6.5 or do I need to move the groupwise data then install 5.5 on the new server and finally install 6.5 on the new server? Thanks Upgrade first, make sure it is all good and then do the move. This way your not fighting 2 fires when things go wrong. Ch...

Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 #3
I have two Servers,Data(Primary) and Groupwise. Data Server was Migrated to NSBS 6.5 from Netware 5.0. Groupwise server is Netware 5.0 with Groupwise 5.5. What would be the best course to Upgrade Groupwise server to NSBS 6.5 and then Upgrade Groupwise to 6.5? I know I can not upgrade to NSBS 6.5 from Netware 5.0 and I wish to keep Groupwise Data intact. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks Leo Admin, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been ...

GroupWise 6.5 WebAccess and GroupWise 5.5
Greetings, We are in the middle of upgrading our GroupWise from 5.5 to 6.5.1. The old version of the Webaccess will not access 6.5 databases so we have two versions on Webaccess installed on two different servers (one is a 4.11 and the new one is 5.1). 1. Is it possible to make the new version of Webaccess work with the 5.5 databases? I know it looks like you should be able to do this but has anyone actually done it? 2. Also could you run the Webaccess twice on the same server, one to access the 6.5 POAs and one for 5.5, if you use a different port? 3. If this will w...

Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 upgrade
I am preparing for a Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 upgrade and am asking if there are any recommended procedures or best practices I should be following. I have not been able to find much information on 5.5 to 6.5 upgrades. Any input would be appreciated. Thank-you. --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable This may be purest voodoo, but the only problems I have encountered are = those of the databases not updating to the latest version after the = install. If you have your post -office set to clie...

GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise 6.5 #2
I currently am using GroupWise 5.5e on a Novell 4.11 server . I want to go to GroupWise 6.5 on a Windows 2000 Server computer but I can not find any thing that tells me how to move or migrate the database.. Has anyone done this.. It's pretty much just a case of copying the domain and PO directories to Windows, running the Windows agent installs and changing paths in ConsoleOne - UNLESS you have external document storage locations for DMS -that needs some extra help. -- Danita Zanre Novell Volunteer Sysop www.caledonia.net/iris.html > It's pretty much just a cas...

Upgrade GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise 6.5
Does anyone have any advice on how to upgrade GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise 6.5?. Any upgrade guide for this?. Thanks Eric There is some reasonable documentation on how to do an upgrade at www.novell.com/documentation/lg/gw65 If you want the best and most comprehensive guide to how to upgrade and what might go wrong I would get the Upgrade guide from www.caledonia.net Tim On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:36:04 GMT, xeemxais@hotmail.com wrote: >Does anyone have any advice on how to upgrade GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise >6.5?. Any upgrade guide for this?. > >Th...

Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 server clients
I have a bit of problem and not sure which way I should tackle this one. I have 2 x Netware 4.11 servers, which will be upgraded to Netware 6.5 and one of these servers have Groupwise 5.5 which will be upgraded to Groupwise 6.5. The one server is being used for Groupwise archiving and currently setup for UNC for archiving, i.e. p:\\ab_hp, on this server I was planning on using the migration wizard as this server also holds the user data. On the 2nd server which Groupwise is running and the clients are configured for tcp/ip connectivity to the groupwise system. This server only hold...

Groupwise 6.5 client with Groupwise 5.5 server?
Is it possible to run Groupwise 6.5 clients with Groupwise 5.5 server? Reason why I'm asking is that there are 160 clients and I'd rather install Groupwise 6.5 client first then upgrade the Groupwise 5.5 server to Groupwise 6.5. Thanks Sorry, but no. It does however works the other way around -- Best Regards Tommy Mikkelsen IT Quality A/S Denmark Novell Support Forums SYSOP Please Report back any success or failure, That way we all learn Sorry, but no support through email "I hate bugs".......Tommy Lee Jones, MIB Be a GroupWiseR...

groupwise 5.5 on netware [to] groupwise 6.5 on windows
Hello all, I am trying to search everywhere I can to find someone with the same setup as I'm encountering and looking for any type of documenation available on this subject and I can't find it. Can anyone here help me in the direction I need to go with this? I have a netware/groupwise 5.5 machine and I want to move this to a new groupwise 6.5 domain on a windows 2003 box. How can I migrate this over? I see options for migrating from netware to netware using the migration tool and also see some links on migrating netware to linux but not to windows? Anyone help? Tha...

Groupwise webaccess (6.5) and Groupwise 5.5.4
Dear All, We still using GW 5.5.4 and hoping to upgrade to GW 6.5 early next year. One of the first things we have been asked to do (by the MAnagers) is to get Webaccess working. Will 6.5 Webaccess work with the GW 5.5.4 MTA/POA's - i.e Can we get away with installing Webaccess first and then migrating the MTA/POAs ? Will there be a client functionality difference between 5.5. webaccess and 6.5. I know there was no proxy in 5.5 ?? Many Thanks for any help. Varuni CNE6 varuniw@hotmail.com wrote: > Will 6.5 Webaccess work with the GW 5.5.4 MTA/POA's - i....

Trying to migrate from Groupwise 5.2 to Groupwise 5.5
Dear all, My name is Pablo Vazquez. I am trying to migrate my client�s Groupwise 5.2 system to Groupwise 5.5 (thing that I have done a lot of times in different clients) but the domain database is so corrupt that I cannot migrate even when I have rebuilt the base. As they do not have any good backup of the wpdomain.db I think that my only chance to migrate is to install the Groupwise 5.5 system on the same NDS Tree, make the Groupwise 5.2 and 5.5 coexist and then start moving users from Groupwise 5.2 to Groupwise 5.5. The questiona are : Is that solution possible ? Could ...

Web resources about - Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 migration - novell.groupwise.6x.install

GroupWise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GroupWise is a messaging and collaboration platform from Novell that supports email , calendaring , personal information management , instant ...

BlackBerry Enterprise IM Clients (OCS, Sametime, GroupWise) Get v2.5 Update
Most of RIM's enterprise-specific BlackBerry instant messaging and collaboration clients have been updated to version 2.5, adding credence to ...

Los Angeles goes Google; dumps GroupWise; shuns Microsoft; ignores IBM
The City of Los Angeles has had it with GroupWise, and will replace it with Google Apps. It's a big win for la GOOG, especially as it beat Microsoft ...

Collaboration: Novell Releases GroupWise 2014
Novell has put the finishing touches on GroupWise 2014, marking the first time the company has updated the collaboration platform since 2012. ...

Novell GroupWise goes mobile with iPhone support
The company’s new mobile solution will work with any ActiveSync-enabled device Novell's messaging and collaboration platform, GroupWise, has ...

No One Cares That Novell Has A New Version of GroupWise
Today Novell released its 2012 version of its email software GroupWise , and the announcement was greeted by most with a big yawn. GroupWise? ...

Kernel for Novell GroupWise to Outlook
Kernel for Novell GroupWise to Outlook is a professional tool for the migration of GroupWise mailboxes to MS Outlook. Many GroupWise...

App Store - DejaOffice
Get DejaOffice on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Email - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Electronic mail , commonly known as email or e-mail , is a method of exchanging digital messages from an author to one or more recipients. Modern ...

SBS looks to Cloud services - cloud computing, email, GroupWise, Klaus Schelp, Microsoft Office 365 ...
When Klaus Schelp started at SBS at the beginning of this year he focused on business outcomes ahead of technology operations. As the head of ...