GroupWise 5.5 to 6.5

I have had a recent problem trying to upgrade a clients groupwise system
(simple single domain and post office) from GroupWise 5.5 to 6.

The post office refuses to upgrade to version 6 in Console1 etc. I've
tried the upgrade 3 times and have has to revert the system back to 5.5
using backups). I've been through just about every TID possible and have
decided to perhaps try approaching this from another direction.

The client is willing to go straight to 6.5, so what I wanted to do, in
simple terms, is move all their current users mailboxes and all their
associated mail, directly from their old 5.5 to a fresh install of
GroupWise 6.5, on a new server in a new tree (of the same name), which
will replace their original server.

Has anyone any pointers as to the best way to achieve this. You ideas
would be gratefully received!

Garry Thompson
0
garry
2/19/2004 4:35:51 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.install 6728 articles. 0 followers. Follow

no. don't do that. Do an upgrade.

--
Michael J. Bell
Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com)

PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked.
I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee!

All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell's unless
specifically identified as such.

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

"You've got a way to keep me on your side/You give me cause
for love that I can't hide/For you I know I'd even try to
turn the tide/Because you're mine, I walk the line"

Johnny Cash (RIP)

<garry@computech-it.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have had a recent problem trying to upgrade a clients groupwise system
> (simple single domain and post office) from GroupWise 5.5 to 6.
>
> The post office refuses to upgrade to version 6 in Console1 etc. I've
> tried the upgrade 3 times and have has to revert the system back to 5.5
> using backups). I've been through just about every TID possible and have
> decided to perhaps try approaching this from another direction.
>
> The client is willing to go straight to 6.5, so what I wanted to do, in
> simple terms, is move all their current users mailboxes and all their
> associated mail, directly from their old 5.5 to a fresh install of
> GroupWise 6.5, on a new server in a new tree (of the same name), which
> will replace their original server.
>
> Has anyone any pointers as to the best way to achieve this. You ideas
> would be gratefully received!
>
> Garry Thompson

0
Michael
2/19/2004 5:27:23 PM
Like Michael Bell said, do an upgrade.  You can purchase a good book from
Caledonia that will walk you through it step by step.  I've used it, it
works well, and its cheap.

http://www.caledonia.net/update65.html

<garry@computech-it.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have had a recent problem trying to upgrade a clients groupwise system
> (simple single domain and post office) from GroupWise 5.5 to 6.
>
> The post office refuses to upgrade to version 6 in Console1 etc. I've
> tried the upgrade 3 times and have has to revert the system back to 5.5
> using backups). I've been through just about every TID possible and have
> decided to perhaps try approaching this from another direction.
>
> The client is willing to go straight to 6.5, so what I wanted to do, in
> simple terms, is move all their current users mailboxes and all their
> associated mail, directly from their old 5.5 to a fresh install of
> GroupWise 6.5, on a new server in a new tree (of the same name), which
> will replace their original server.
>
> Has anyone any pointers as to the best way to achieve this. You ideas
> would be gratefully received!
>
> Garry Thompson

0
Tommy