5.5 to 6.5 update question

This is actually a multi-part question - I have three 5.5 PO's, each
running on NW5.0 sp6a servers.  The domain, MTA, and GWIA are
installed to a NW5.0 sp6a server that also runs Bordermanager.  All
(3) servers are being replaced with new hardware, and being upgraded
to NW6.x.  GW will be updated from 5.5 to 6.5.  Additionally, a new
server is being added with the intention of splitting the the GW
domain, MTA, and GWIA functions apart from the bordermanager server
described above.  So, my questions are -

1) Is it best to perform the OS upgrades first, preserving current
GW5.5 functionality, and then worry about upgrading GW?  If so, are
there any special considerations to be made when running the migration

wizard?  Configuration files to preserve?

2) Are there any useful tids covering the process of moving domain,
MTA, and GWIA from one server to another?  Should I move these
functions to the new server before or after the upgrade to GW 6.5?

Your help is greatly appreciated...

Jeff Palmer

0
zephyr54321
7/7/2003 3:13:37 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.install 6728 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> 1) Is it best to perform the OS upgrades first, preserving current
> GW5.5 functionality, and then worry about upgrading GW?  If so, are
> there any special considerations to be made when running the
migration
> wizard?  Configuration files to preserve?
You will lose the NLMs in the sys:system directory.  Easily recovered
either from the sys.mig directory or by doing a install with the
/copyonly switch.

Personally I would upgrade the OS first, move the domain/GWIA next
then move up to GW6.5

> 2) Are there any useful tids covering the process of moving domain,
> MTA, and GWIA from one server to another?  Should I move these
> functions to the new server before or after the upgrade to GW 6.5?

TID10008433

Also take a look at the upgrade book at

www.newcaledonia.net

Very good and a low price for the insurance it gives.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant

0
Timothy

UpDate GroupwIse 5.5 to 6.5
Good Afternoon, After migrated netware Server (and messagerie) 5.1 to 6.5 I would to known how to update automatically client groupwise 5.5ep in the workstation to 6.5. Thank for your Help. Tech. TID 10051017 pretty much still applies, you'll just be using an updated version. Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ Good Afternoon, Thank for your help, but it doesn't work with the file setup.cfg in directory !. or forget something ! But i use Console to update the client. As : GroupWise System...

Groupwise 5.5 to 6.5 Update
Hi Guys, I'm likely to be doing an update on a Groupwise 5.5 SP2/3 system over the next week or so. The OS is 5.1 SP7. Is there any necessity to update all the GW components to a Higer SP (SP5 for example) before I update to 6.5. The update will be in place on the same servers but servers are at several sites seperated by large distance. I've recommended this to the client but they want to move fast (perhaps a little to fast) and don't want to waste another weekend. I've stipulated that all GW agents must be the same SP, but seems SP3 for GW55 (non ep) is no lon...

GroupWise 5.5.5 under Netware 6.5
I have not been able to get my Groupwise snapins back since I upgraded my Groupwise server to Netware 6.5. Is there any way to do this? Recopy the snapins from the SDD Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ I got an error before, but this time it worked. Thanks. "Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message news:MPG.1a495f6d48d9516ce6@support-forums.novell.com... > Recopy the snapins from the SDD > > Cheers Dave > > > -- > > Dave Parkes [NSCS] ...

Upgrading 5.5.5 to 6.5.5
I am going to be upgrading from GW 5.5.5 to GW6.5.5 Anybody aware of any gotcha's or have any advice? LauraB@itdynamics.co.za wrote: > I am going to be upgrading from GW 5.5.5 to GW6.5.5 Anybody aware of > any gotcha's or have any advice? Not really. Before you upgrade rebuilt the post offices and domains or do at least a validate of the databases. If you are not really experienced I recommend to purchase the caledonia upgrade guide. -- Cheers, Edward ...

GroupWise 5.5.5 client to GroupWise 6.5 System?
Will a GroupWise 5.5.5 client attach to a GroupWise 6.5 server okay for a temporary period of time? IT Staff will need time to update all of the clients manually. Want to make sure there will be no immediate loss of function after we upgrade GroupWise 5.5.5 to 6.5... THANKS! should be ok order of upgrade pri domain other domains/post offices clients gateways -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked. I'm a volunteer, not a Nov...

GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise 6.5

GroupWise 5.5 to 6.5
I have had a recent problem trying to upgrade a clients groupwise system (simple single domain and post office) from GroupWise 5.5 to 6. The post office refuses to upgrade to version 6 in Console1 etc. I've tried the upgrade 3 times and have has to revert the system back to 5.5 using backups). I've been through just about every TID possible and have decided to perhaps try approaching this from another direction. The client is willing to go straight to 6.5, so what I wanted to do, in simple terms, is move all their current users mailboxes and all their associated mail...

update 5.5.5 to 6.5 on new hardware
Hey all, I wanted to get your input as the most directy way of doing this. We want to update from GW 5.5.5 to 6.5. Currently our 5.5.5 machine is running NW5.0sp6a. We are getting ready to place a DL 380 G3 with Netware 6.5 sp1 installed on it. What would be the best way of getting groupwise installed and users grafted over to the new box. (all agents will be running on the one machine, GWIA, MTA, POA, WEBACCESS, etc) Can you also point me to some TID's and such to help me out. If anyone has done this before, can you tell me of any pitfalls to avoid? Thanks Matt ...

Upgrade GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise 6.5
Does anyone have any advice on how to upgrade GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise 6.5?. Any upgrade guide for this?. Thanks Eric There is some reasonable documentation on how to do an upgrade at www.novell.com/documentation/lg/gw65 If you want the best and most comprehensive guide to how to upgrade and what might go wrong I would get the Upgrade guide from www.caledonia.net Tim On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:36:04 GMT, xeemxais@hotmail.com wrote: >Does anyone have any advice on how to upgrade GroupWise 5.5 to GroupWise >6.5?. Any upgrade guide for this?. > >Th...

GroupWise 6.5 WebAccess and GroupWise 5.5
Greetings, We are in the middle of upgrading our GroupWise from 5.5 to 6.5.1. The old version of the Webaccess will not access 6.5 databases so we have two versions on Webaccess installed on two different servers (one is a 4.11 and the new one is 5.1). 1. Is it possible to make the new version of Webaccess work with the 5.5 databases? I know it looks like you should be able to do this but has anyone actually done it? 2. Also could you run the Webaccess twice on the same server, one to access the 6.5 POAs and one for 5.5, if you use a different port? 3. If this will w...

Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 #3
I have two Servers,Data(Primary) and Groupwise. Data Server was Migrated to NSBS 6.5 from Netware 5.0. Groupwise server is Netware 5.0 with Groupwise 5.5. What would be the best course to Upgrade Groupwise server to NSBS 6.5 and then Upgrade Groupwise to 6.5? I know I can not upgrade to NSBS 6.5 from Netware 5.0 and I wish to keep Groupwise Data intact. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks Leo Admin, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been ...

Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 migration
I have a bit of problem and not sure which way I should tackle this one. I have 2 x Netware 4.11 servers, which will be upgraded to Netware 6.5 and one of these servers have Groupwise 5.5 which will be upgraded to Groupwise 6.5. The one server is being used for Groupwise archiving and currently setup for UNC for archiving, i.e. p:\\ab_hp, on this server I was planning on using the migration wizard as this server also holds the user data. On the 2nd server which Groupwise is running and the clients are configured for tcp/ip connectivity to the groupwise system. This server onl...

Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 upgrade
I am preparing for a Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5 upgrade and am asking if there are any recommended procedures or best practices I should be following. I have not been able to find much information on 5.5 to 6.5 upgrades. Any input would be appreciated. Thank-you. --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable This may be purest voodoo, but the only problems I have encountered are = those of the databases not updating to the latest version after the = install. If you have your post -office set to clie...

Migrate Groupwise 5.5 to Groupwise 6.5
I wonder if someone has migrated Groupwise 5.5 to 6.5? The server runs today Groupwise 5.5 without sp. --Patrik Hi Patrik, >I wonder if someone has migrated Groupwise 5.5 to 6.5? If that's the only question you have, the answer is yes. ;-) If you want to know more, take a look at THE gw upgrade guide for all other answers: http://www.caledonia.net/update65.html regards -Frank Korpershoek- :Korpershoek Networking: :tel +31 15 2130034:mob +31 6 55730822:fax +31 15 2124278: ...

Web resources about - 5.5 to 6.5 update question - novell.groupwise.6x.install

Neil D'Costa and Chris Rogers question whether more could be done to honour memory of Phillip Hughes
Phillip Hughes' long-time coach and mentor has questioned whether cricket administrators are doing &quot;everything humanly possible&quot; to ...

Question Of The Day: First-ever car ride?
Filed under: Automotive History The first time you were ever in a motor vehicle, what was it? Continue reading Question Of The Day: First-ever ...

Housing Rebound Didn't Lift Economy as Much as Economists Expected: Why?; Six Questions for Zandi
Home prices are nearly back to where they were before the crash. In some places, home prices are above where they were at the peak of the national ...

Real question: did Brad Pitt wear a ’90s wiglet at ‘The Big Short’ premiere?
Brad Pitt could potentially have a film at the Oscars this year. NO, not By the Sea . His real Oscar-bait film this year is The Big Short , which ...

Want a job at Apple? Here are 10 of the toughest interview questions
We alternately praise and criticize the folks at Apple depending on whether they just created the iPhone or Apple Maps, but there’s no doubting ...

Trump questions Hillary's 'stamina,' apparently unaware of her marathon Benghazi hearing
Donald Trump will find a new criticism of Hillary Clinton soon because his latest one is downright ludicrous. In an appearance on ABC’s “This ...

Lisa Vanderpump Is the Latest 'RHOBH' Star to Question Yolanda Foster's Lyme Disease
Lisa Vanderpump Is the Latest 'RHOBH' Star to Question Yolanda Foster's Lyme Disease

What's The Right Way To Ask Audiences Questions?
The key to asking questions of an audience is authenticity.

LSU's Miles Sidestepping Questions About His Future
ABC News LSU's Miles Sidestepping Questions About His Future ABC News LSU head coach Les Miles ponders a reporter's question's following an ...