GWIA can recieve from a host, but not send to the same host

Ok, this sounds like a DNS problem, but I'm a little confused, this is
what is happening:

-The host I am trying to send mail to is optonline.net
-The server cannot ping this host, however, it can ping www.optonline.net
and mail.optonline.net
-The GWIA can RECEIVE mail from user@optonline.net, but it cannot SEND
mail
-If I use a basic e-mail client (like MS Outlook), I can sent to
optonline.net fine
-I can type optonline.net in my browser (which uses BorderManager located
on the same server as the GWIA) and be connected to the host
-I tried sending and receiving mail to user@yahoo.com with no problem

I know this sounds like a DNS issue, but I'm not sure what to do.
BorderManager can resolve optonline.net, but not the GWIA nor ping?

Any ideas?
Joe

0
kart46
6/19/2004 4:29:19 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.gwia 5303 articles. 0 followers. Follow

That's not what gwia does. It looks up MX records. Checking DNSREPORT.COM,
this lists

Your 2 MX records are:
2 mx1.optonline.net. [TTL=86400] IP=167.206.5.6 [TTL=3600] [US]
2 mx2.optonline.net. [TTL=86400] IP=167.206.5.3 [TTL=3600] [US]

pinging means nothing, so don't use that for diagnostics other than
resolving the hostname.

it's telneting to those ip addresses on port 25 that matters.

--
Michael J. Bell
Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com)

PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked.
I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee!

All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell's unless
specifically identified as such.

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made atwia
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

"You've got a way to keep me on your side/You give me cause
for love that I can't hide/For you I know I'd even try to
turn the tide/Because you're mine, I walk the line"

Johnny Cash (RIP)

<kart46@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Ok, this sounds like a DNS problem, but I'm a little confused, this is
> what is happening:
>
> -The host I am trying to send mail to is optonline.net
> -The server cannot ping this host, however, it can ping www.optonline.net
> and mail.optonline.net
> -The GWIA can RECEIVE mail from user@optonline.net, but it cannot SEND
> mail
> -If I use a basic e-mail client (like MS Outlook), I can sent to
> optonline.net fine
> -I can type optonline.net in my browser (which uses BorderManager located
> on the same server as the GWIA) and be connected to the host
> -I tried sending and receiving mail to user@yahoo.com with no problem
>
> I know this sounds like a DNS issue, but I'm not sure what to do.
> BorderManager can resolve optonline.net, but not the GWIA nor ping?
>
> Any ideas?
> Joe

0
Michael
6/20/2004 6:32:29 AM
> it's telneting to those ip addresses on port 25 that matters.

Although I'm not sure how to do that from the server, the workstations can
telnet to optonline.net on port 25.

Any other thoughts on why the GWIA is unable to reach this host, but can
recieve mail from it?

Joe
0
kart46
6/20/2004 4:03:03 PM
 no but look up route.cfg in knowledegebase and try entering one of the ips
directly, and see if that helps

--

> > it's telneting to those ip addresses on port 25 that matters.
>
> Although I'm not sure how to do that from the server, the workstations can
> telnet to optonline.net on port 25.
>
> Any other thoughts on why the GWIA is unable to reach this host, but can
> recieve mail from it?
>
> Joe

0
Michael

GWIA: 450 host down...on a host that is NOT down
Hi all. i'm getting an annoying 450 host down error on my GWIA. We sent some important emails and we didn't notice they were not going out until way later. Then we checked and we were having 450 host down on that host. Some time ago we used to experience this very same problem, but then it stopped (couldn't say exactly what we did, since I was not in charge of communications back then) Obviously, I did a telnet on port 25 to the mail exchanger of the problematic domain. It was up and running. What could be causing this behaviour? How can I solve this probl...

To Gwia or not to Gwia
Hi everyone. I have 6.5.7 that is on a 10+ years box. It's time to put it to rest - I said but the boss does not want to spend the money - heard that before! It a suite using on GW and Gwava no other products. There are worried about email failure. So I'm trying GWAVA's Reload product. It works fine for the backup and the disaster recovery BUT you have no Gwia. Can I set up another Netware box with just the Gwia on it and disable the main box Gwia so that when the system fails ( and it will) we will have a email running service? Also is there a license issue here...

Set GWIA to bypass relay host for internal mail hosts
Hi I have recently configured my GWIA to route all my outbound mail through a scanning/archiving service. However any mail received for otherserver.mydomain.com (for example) get's sent out via the relay host when the server is internal to my organisation Is there a way of identifying internal hosts to the GWIA so that it bypasses the Relay Host setting and sends the mail direct to those hosts? Will adding these hosts to foreign id do it or adding otherserver.mydomain.com as a new domain to GroupWise? -- gosmore --------------------------------------------------...

GWIA All Hosts Down
I have no idea at this point what could possibly have happened, but my gwia 6.0.3 began returning all outgoing mail with a host down (450) message. This started several days ago with the only related even I can think of was the sending of a broadcats email message to approx. 1,100 bcc recipients 5 days ago. Clearly some received the message (though I have no way of know how many at this point), yet just as clearly hundreds did not because of the 450 host down response. What I don know for certain is that for the past two days no email messages are being sent out with all havi...

GWIA not sending mail(450 Host down)
We had a series of NS go do and made the change to a another provider. I've changed the DNS records to reflect the change. I've changed the resolve.cfg file to reflect the changes. When I run GWIA every outgoing mail has on it 450 Host down (destination domain) ex: 01-21-10 00:47:15 0 Queuing deferred message: NWFS1/MAIL:\GWDOM\WPGATE\GWIA\send\sb56eb93.009 01-21-10 00:47:15 10 DMN: MSG 397 Sending file: NWFS1/MAIL:\GWDOM\WPGATE\GWIA\send\pb56eb93.009 01-21-10 00:47:15 10 DMN: MSG 397 Send Failure: 450 Host down (gmail.com) 01-21-10 00:47:25 0 MSG 398 Analyzing result f...

GWIA running on SLES
Hi All, We are running GWIA on our SLES10 server. On inspecting logs we see that almost every email sent to external email address the GWIA reports the following, 450 Host Down: 09:08:44 144 MSG 632 Detected error on SMTP command 09:08:44 144 MSG 632 Command: medartis.com 09:08:44 144 MSG 632 Response: 450 Host down (medartis.com) 09:08:47 640 Accepted IMAP4 connection with: ::ffff:192.168.0.17 09:08:48 640 Accepted IMAP4 connection with: ::ffff:192.168.0.17 09:08:49 640 IMAP4 session ended: ::ffff:192.168.0.17 09:08:49 872 IMAP4 session ended: ::ffff:192.168.0.17 09:09:1...

GWIA Send Failure 550 Host Unknown
Hello, GWIA is displaying the following message: DMN: MSG xxxxx Send Failure 550 Host unknown (exampledomain.com) where examledomain is my domain. I am able to successfully send and receive internet mail. This seems like some DNS or MX record problem. From the mail server I can successfully ping by name and it resolves correctly. Any ideas please? Thank you, Tami Hi, nospam@afakedomain.com wrote: > This seems like some DNS or MX record problem. Yes. The DNS server configured ony your GWIA server cannot properly resolve this. CU, -- Massimo Rosen N...

Can GWIA hosts multiple Internet Domain
Hi, May I know whether I can have one GWIA to host multiple Internet Domain. I will have 2 separate GroupWise system. Each GroupWise system has its' own GWIA. The existing GWIA holding (abc.com). The new GWIA planned to host 123.abc.com, 234.abc.com, 345.abc.com and so on. I would like to know whether this can be done or not. Thanks On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:16:10 GMT, tcteng@mcsb.com wrote: >Hi, > >May I know whether I can have one GWIA to host multiple Internet Domain. >I will have 2 separate GroupWise system. Each GroupWise system has its' >own G...

GroupWise 6.5 GWIA 550 host unknown
--____OGTFFHAIOAIQITFBCMKV____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Fri, 24 Aug 2006 09:20:45 -0700" have a user sending then same mail to a group of 15 people, consistently = 13 of the messages get a 550 host unknown error tested over a 5 day cycle. = Another user tries to send to the same people same error. Users all have = different domains. The user address and domains are correct. Any one seen this problem --____OGTFFHAIOAIQITFBCMKV____ Content-Type: multipart...

GWIA, RBLs, and DNS Cache Errors (Send Failure 550 Host Unknown)
Here's the issue: I have been hard pressed to make SPAM disappear. I have used GWIA's (v7.0.1) RBL feature to block several countries that seem to be sending us mass amounts of unsolicited email, and it's been pretty successful. Now, outgoing email has stopped working entirely. I know, "What does an RBL have to do with outgoing email?" Well, the following is the error from GWIA's verbose log: -----------------BEGIN 1114GWIA.001------------------------ ##Message comes from MTA to GWIA 07:40:45 2CF MSG 98 File: MAILSERVER/MAIL:\WPGATE\GWIA7\wpcsout\gwi1...

GWIA 55EP2 and GWIA 6x Differences
Hello, I am reading the Groupwise upgrade guide, as we are planning to upgrade from GW 55EP2 to GW 6.x. In there, it mentions that we may not want to upgrade right away to a 6.x GWIA, especially if we support POP3 or IMAP clients. And it seems to indicate that the GroupWise post offices now talk directly to a 6.x GWIA, while a 5.x GWIA always communicates through the MTA. Can someone explain to me the differences in the GWIA's so we can deploy our GW upgrade without surprises? We have a single GroupWise domain, Single GWIA, Single MTA, and 8 post offices distributed on ...

GWIA
new to groupwise GW 6.5 (SP3) I can receive mail from the outside world however I cannot send out any message to the outside world.. I always get a 450 Host down error here is my gwia.cfg file Any ideas ?? Thanks in advance Doug ;====================================================================== ; GroupWise 6 GWIA ; Startup File ;---------------------------------------------------------------------- ; This contains the configuation options for GroupWise Internet Agent. ; Use ConsoleOne to modify this file with Advan...

GWIA Relay Host
During the GroupWise (6.5) Internet Agent installation it asks for the to choose on the Relay Host scren if you want to send outbound mail directly or use a relay host. My question is can you choose to send directly and then later configure GW to use a relay host if one chooses to. Thanks for all your help....I really do appreciate it. Hi, Tammy wrote: > > During the GroupWise (6.5) Internet Agent installation it asks for the to > choose on the Relay Host scren if you want to send outbound mail directly or > use a relay host. My question is can you choose to send ...

GWIA
Hi Recently I noticed a lot of Host Down instances according to the stats on the GWIA web interface. With 3 days of uptime the numbers were 216 "sent" email and 560 "host down". Further checks revealed this sort of error in the logs: MSG 6201 Analyzing result file: MAIL/DATA:\GRPWISE\MAILINT\WPGATE\GWIA\result\r99589a6.040 02-17-09 00:08:07 0 MSG 6201 Detected error on SMTP command 02-17-09 00:08:07 0 MSG 6201 Command: domain.com.au 02-17-09 00:08:07 0 MSG 6201 Response: 450 Host down (domain.com.au) 02-17-09 00:08:07 0 MSG 6202 Analyzing result file: ...

Web resources about - GWIA can recieve from a host, but not send to the same host - novell.groupwise.6x.gwia

Greer Garson recieves the Oscar for Best-Actress at it's 15th Ceremony 1942.mpg - YouTube
A small scene from the longest Oscar Award acceptance-speech which is usually limited to 45 secs per category. Greer Garson who won the Best-Actress ...

KPMG Recieves an E-Discovery Smackdown
I don’t always cover electronic discovery, but when I do, I prefer juicy court decisions. And that’s what we have today. The United States District ...

Ferguson Police Recieve Donation of 50 Body Cameras in Wake of Michael Brown Shooting
Ferguson police officers began wearing body cameras on Saturday as marchers took to the streets to p...

Ethel Kenney recieves Medal of Freedom, highest civilian honor - Politics - The Boston Globe
WASHINGTON — When President Obama presented the Medal of Freedom to Ethel Kennedy, the 86-year-old matriarch received even more applause than ...

TalkTalk recieves ransom demand, but it's not clear who from - Business Insider
4 million customers' details may have been stolen, from emails to credit card details.

Honda Fit EV recieves EPA's highest MPG rating ever
The Environmental Protection Agency rated Honda's new electric car at 118 miles-per-gallon Read more by Bailey Johnson on CBS News' Dash.

TEENS ASPIRING TO MUSIC CAREERS RECIEVE REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE & ADVICE FROM PROS THANKS TO PARTNERSHIP ...
A dream for many, working with the best in the music business became a reality for 39 local high school students on Saturday at Best Buy GRAMMY ...

EWEA 2012 Conference Recieves WindMade Label
Europe’s premier wind conference, being held in Copenhagen, Denmark April 16 to April 19 this year, will receive a special label. The European ...

Bitcoin Exchange Startup Bex.io Recieves $525,000 in Funding
The company, which has built a bitcoin exchange platform, has received $525,000 in investment to fund its operations.

In Philadelphia and Ohio voting districts, Romney recieves zero votes
In Philadelphia and Ohio voting districts, Romney recieves zero votes