GWIA: 450 host down...on a host that is NOT down

Hi all.
i'm getting an annoying 450 host down error on my GWIA. We sent some
important emails and we didn't notice they were not going out until
way
later. Then we checked and we were having 450 host down on that host.

Some time ago we used to experience this very same problem, but then
it
stopped (couldn't say exactly what we did, since I was not in charge
of
communications back then)

Obviously, I did a telnet on port 25 to the mail exchanger of the
problematic domain. It was up and running.

What could be causing this behaviour? How can I solve this problem?
Any
hints about how to pinpoint the problem?

0
nraddatz
12/2/2003 3:16:17 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.gwia 5303 articles. 0 followers. Follow

nraddatz@nospam.com wrote:

> Hi all.
> i'm getting an annoying 450 host down error on my GWIA. We sent some

> important emails and we didn't notice they were not going out until
way
> later. Then we checked and we were having 450 host down on that
host.

> Some time ago we used to experience this very same problem, but then
it
> stopped (couldn't say exactly what we did, since I was not in charge
of
> communications back then)
>
> Obviously, I did a telnet on port 25 to the mail exchanger of the
> problematic domain. It was up and running.

From what machine? The only way to be sure would be to do the telnet
from the GWIA machine, while making absolutely sure you definitely use

the same IP GWIA had resolved for that host.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop

0
Massimo
12/2/2003 5:21:23 PM
Massimi, thanks for replying.-
Now, I got a Netware TELNET utility, and checked from the machine that

hosts the GWIA. I made a telnet to mail.bhu.net on port 25, and i got

connected to the external server without problem. Now, this is the
only
mail exchanger on the other end, so I cannot see why would GWIA
get "confused".

How can I check what is GWIA doing? (I mean, where is it trying to
connect, or what is causing it to determine that "Host down")

Greetings,

Nicol�s

> Hi,
>
> nraddatz@nospam.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi all.
> > i'm getting an annoying 450 host down error on my GWIA. We sent
some
> > important emails and we didn't notice they were not going out
until way
> > later. Then we checked and we were having 450 host down on that
host.

> > Some time ago we used to experience this very same problem, but
then it
> > stopped (couldn't say exactly what we did, since I was not in
charge of
> > communications back then)
> >
> > Obviously, I did a telnet on port 25 to the mail exchanger of the
> > problematic domain. It was up and running.
>
> From what machine? The only way to be sure would be to do the telnet

> from the GWIA machine, while making absolutely sure you definitely
use
> the same IP GWIA had resolved for that host.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Support Connection Sysop
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de

0
nraddatz

nraddatz@nospam.com wrote:

> Massimi, thanks for replying.-
> Now, I got a Netware TELNET utility, and checked from the machine
that
> hosts the GWIA. I made a telnet to mail.bhu.net on port 25, and i
got
> connected to the external server without problem. Now, this is the
only
> mail exchanger on the other end, so I cannot see why would GWIA
> get "confused".
>
> How can I check what is GWIA doing? (I mean, where is it trying to
> connect, or what is causing it to determine that "Host down")

You could try to set the loglevel to verbose, and see if that reveals
anything. The only other thing I can think of right now is that GWIA
somehow gets a wrong IP for mail.bhu.net. Are you sure there's no
route.cfg entry for that for some odd reason? (been there, done that).

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

0
Massimo
12/2/2003 6:05:20 PM
Massimo
First, sorry for the typo of your name on the previous post.
I checked GWIA, loglevel is "verbose". Checked route.cfg, it has some

entries for some domains. When this problem occured in the past, they

fixed it by adding a line with the domain name followed by the ip
address
of the mail exchanger, which doesn't seem very *cool* to me. I would
love
to get this thing solved now and for good...

Anyway...What should I look for in the log file? Do you want me to
copy
and paste the fragments about "450 host down"?

One more thing: the server queries itself for name resolution (it has

NAMED running).

> Hi,
>
> nraddatz@nospam.com wrote:
> >
> > Massimi, thanks for replying.-
> > Now, I got a Netware TELNET utility, and checked from the machine
that
> > hosts the GWIA. I made a telnet to mail.bhu.net on port 25, and i
got
> > connected to the external server without problem. Now, this is the
only
> > mail exchanger on the other end, so I cannot see why would GWIA
> > get "confused".
> >
> > How can I check what is GWIA doing? (I mean, where is it trying to

> > connect, or what is causing it to determine that "Host down")
>
> You could try to set the loglevel to verbose, and see if that
reveals
> anything. The only other thing I can think of right now is that GWIA

> somehow gets a wrong IP for mail.bhu.net. Are you sure there's no
> route.cfg entry for that for some odd reason? (been there, done
that).

> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Support Connection Sysop
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de

0
nraddatz

nraddatz@nospam.com wrote:

> Massimo
> First, sorry for the typo of your name on the previous post.
> I checked GWIA, loglevel is "verbose". Checked route.cfg, it has
some
> entries for some domains. When this problem occured in the past,
they
> fixed it by adding a line with the domain name followed by the ip
address
> of the mail exchanger, which doesn't seem very *cool* to me. I would
love
> to get this thing solved now and for good...

Well, at any rate it seems to be an old problem.

> Anyway...What should I look for in the log file? Do you want me to
copy
> and paste the fragments about "450 host down"?

Unless it tells you the IP it tries to reach, that probably doesn't
help
much.

> One more thing: the server queries itself for name resolution (it
has
> NAMED running).

Well, loading named-v might reveal something by looking at the naed
logs. Can you try a different nameserver for testing purposes?
However,
it would be some odd problem with that, as the 450 host down clearly
shows that your GWIA *did* resolve, but can't connect to the resulting

IP. Would it have problems resolving, it would issue a 450 mx lookup
error, not a host down.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

0
Massimo
12/2/2003 9:12:43 PM
It *IS* an old problem, but for some reason it appears every now and
then...But as far as I know it's also an old problem of the GWIA
itself.
Back in GroupWise 5, there was a similar problem when the first MX
record
did not respond, GW wouldn't switch to the next, and so...

I wonder, if I was able to reach the foreign mail server with telnet,
why
would GWIA resolve the name differently? I mean is there any
difference in
the way it queries the O/S for name resolution? And no, the log
doesn't
show the IP it's trying to connect unfortunately.

According to what I found out, in the past they also did the change
DNS
server trick, and it worked, nevertheless, after a while, a misteryous

(and erroneous) host down was issued...

....and the problem remains.

> Hi,
>
> nraddatz@nospam.com wrote:
> >
> > Massimo
> > First, sorry for the typo of your name on the previous post.
> > I checked GWIA, loglevel is "verbose". Checked route.cfg, it has
some
> > entries for some domains. When this problem occured in the past,
they
> > fixed it by adding a line with the domain name followed by the ip

address
> > of the mail exchanger, which doesn't seem very *cool* to me. I
would
love
> > to get this thing solved now and for good...
>
> Well, at any rate it seems to be an old problem.
>
> > Anyway...What should I look for in the log file? Do you want me to
copy
> > and paste the fragments about "450 host down"?
>
> Unless it tells you the IP it tries to reach, that probably doesn't
help
> much.
>
> > One more thing: the server queries itself for name resolution (it
has
> > NAMED running).
>
> Well, loading named-v might reveal something by looking at the naed
> logs. Can you try a different nameserver for testing purposes?
However,
> it would be some odd problem with that, as the 450 host down clearly

> shows that your GWIA *did* resolve, but can't connect to the
resulting
> IP. Would it have problems resolving, it would issue a 450 mx lookup

> error, not a host down.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de

0
nraddatz

nraddatz@nospam.com wrote:

> It *IS* an old problem, but for some reason it appears every now and

> then...But as far as I know it's also an old problem of the GWIA
itself.
> Back in GroupWise 5, there was a similar problem when the first MX
record
> did not respond, GW wouldn't switch to the next, and so...

True, but this is long solved, and has obviously nothing to do with
your
current problem.

> I wonder, if I was able to reach the foreign mail server with
telnet, why
> would GWIA resolve the name differently?

For one, the Netware OS itself honors sys:\etc\hosts, which GWIA
*never*
does. GWIA always and exclusively relies on "real" DNS responses only,

it doesn't care at all about the hosts file.

> According to what I found out, in the past they also did the change
DNS
> server trick, and it worked, nevertheless, after a while, a
misteryous
> (and erroneous) host down was issued...
>
> ...and the problem remains.

Well, the final answer would be a packet trace. You can download
pktscan
from support.novell.com, and take a trace of GWIA trying to reach that

server.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

0
Massimo
12/2/2003 10:54:39 PM
Massimo,

I downloaded pktscan as you told me, installed it, started a packet
scan,
and sent an email to the offending domain. This time (Murphy's law)
the
mail got through without problem.

It *may have been* because I added an entry to bhu.net in route.cfg
yesterday, and today's morning we restarted the GWIA.

What do you think?
(Thanks again for your time and patience)

> Hi,
>
> nraddatz@nospam.com wrote:
> >
> > It *IS* an old problem, but for some reason it appears every now
and
> > then...But as far as I know it's also an old problem of the GWIA
itself.
> > Back in GroupWise 5, there was a similar problem when the first MX

record
> > did not respond, GW wouldn't switch to the next, and so...
>
> True, but this is long solved, and has obviously nothing to do with
your
> current problem.
>
> > I wonder, if I was able to reach the foreign mail server with
telnet,
why
> > would GWIA resolve the name differently?
>
> For one, the Netware OS itself honors sys:\etc\hosts, which GWIA
*never*
> does. GWIA always and exclusively relies on "real" DNS responses
only,
> it doesn't care at all about the hosts file.
>

> > According to what I found out, in the past they also did the
change DNS
> > server trick, and it worked, nevertheless, after a while, a
misteryous
> > (and erroneous) host down was issued...
> >
> > ...and the problem remains.
>
> Well, the final answer would be a packet trace. You can download
pktscan
> from support.novell.com, and take a trace of GWIA trying to reach
that
> server.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de

0
nraddatz

nraddatz@nospam.com wrote:

> Massimo,
>
> I downloaded pktscan as you told me, installed it, started a packet
scan,
> and sent an email to the offending domain. This time (Murphy's law)
the
> mail got through without problem.
>
> It *may have been* because I added an entry to bhu.net in route.cfg
> yesterday, and today's morning we restarted the GWIA.

Well, that's almost certainly the case. Try again after you removed
the
route.cfg entry.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

0
Massimo

GWIA
Hi Recently I noticed a lot of Host Down instances according to the stats on the GWIA web interface. With 3 days of uptime the numbers were 216 "sent" email and 560 "host down". Further checks revealed this sort of error in the logs: MSG 6201 Analyzing result file: MAIL/DATA:\GRPWISE\MAILINT\WPGATE\GWIA\result\r99589a6.040 02-17-09 00:08:07 0 MSG 6201 Detected error on SMTP command 02-17-09 00:08:07 0 MSG 6201 Command: domain.com.au 02-17-09 00:08:07 0 MSG 6201 Response: 450 Host down (domain.com.au) 02-17-09 00:08:07 0 MSG 6202 Analyzing result file: ...

GWIA
new to groupwise GW 6.5 (SP3) I can receive mail from the outside world however I cannot send out any message to the outside world.. I always get a 450 Host down error here is my gwia.cfg file Any ideas ?? Thanks in advance Doug ;====================================================================== ; GroupWise 6 GWIA ; Startup File ;---------------------------------------------------------------------- ; This contains the configuation options for GroupWise Internet Agent. ; Use ConsoleOne to modify this file with Advan...

Gwia 450 host down
Hello, I'm getting 450 host down errors from one particular site. I've used the gwip and tested the mx connectivity and it does connect, but very slowly. I can alos connect froma workstation, again, the response time back from the foreign server is slow. Is there a GWIA setting/timeout that controls how long the GWIA should wait before declaring the host down with a 450 error? thanks ConsoleOne, GWIA object, SMTP/MIME, Timeouts. >>> Guinevere<Guinevere@ftj.com> 3/9/2005 11:07 AM >>> Hello, I'm getting 450 host down errors from one part...

GWIA can recieve from a host, but not send to the same host
Ok, this sounds like a DNS problem, but I'm a little confused, this is what is happening: -The host I am trying to send mail to is optonline.net -The server cannot ping this host, however, it can ping www.optonline.net and mail.optonline.net -The GWIA can RECEIVE mail from user@optonline.net, but it cannot SEND mail -If I use a basic e-mail client (like MS Outlook), I can sent to optonline.net fine -I can type optonline.net in my browser (which uses BorderManager located on the same server as the GWIA) and be connected to the host -I tried sending and receiving mail to us...

450 host down (mydomain) on GWIA
Can somebody explain how I am getting these. Everything seems to be working. Mail is entering and exiting. I only have one PO, which is on another machine, so I'm not sure why I am getting these at the GWIA. I am assuming that internal mail should not make it to the GWIA. I am getting mail from the internet in my mailbox so how can it say the host is down. What host is it talking about? Mike McCarron Do you have the entries for both servers in the HOSTS file? This is important to GWIA. "Michael P. McCarron" <mccarron@osfphila.org> wrote in mess...

gwia and 450 Host down for own domain
Suddenly have a spate of this going on, no apparent reason. 450 Host Down stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au (Which is the name of our domain) Defer is filling up with messages that are being sent by gwia to (itself?) mostly dealing with failed deliveries of emails for one (real) reason or another (typos in address etc) Most of these are from <> ie null sender. Inbound mail from other domains (ie the internet at large) seems ok. Outbound mail to other domains is likewise ok. Caveat: AOHell and now Hotmail, but that's not GWIA's fault - they have decided we are on a dial...

450 Host down error on the GWIA
Do you have a e-mail firewall system such as Proofpoint in place? We have this happen when our firewall is having problems such as rebooting for the coninuous updates that it receives from the vendor or an influx of spam. Ususally the GroupWise "Agents/gwia/defer" directory will start collecting items in it and that tells us that the mail is not going through the firewall system. We then check our firewall box and 95% of the time it is having a problem. I hope this helps in your case. Hi, rtolbert@ccisd.net wrote: > > Do you have a e-mail firewall system ...

Error 450 Host Down on GWIA
Greetings, We are experiencing errors on the GWIA agent, when sending emails to some domains. Apparently, the problem is related to higher priority Mail Exchange (MX) hosts not responding to requests of the GWIA as explained in Novell's support TID number 100534469 (http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10053469.htm ). It says: "This problem has been reported to development. Customer can either install the non-enhancement pack GW 5.5.2 GWIA or create a ROUTE.CFG in the domain\WPGATE\gwia directory with the hostname they are having problems reaching ...

GWIA not sending mail(450 Host down)
We had a series of NS go do and made the change to a another provider. I've changed the DNS records to reflect the change. I've changed the resolve.cfg file to reflect the changes. When I run GWIA every outgoing mail has on it 450 Host down (destination domain) ex: 01-21-10 00:47:15 0 Queuing deferred message: NWFS1/MAIL:\GWDOM\WPGATE\GWIA\send\sb56eb93.009 01-21-10 00:47:15 10 DMN: MSG 397 Sending file: NWFS1/MAIL:\GWDOM\WPGATE\GWIA\send\pb56eb93.009 01-21-10 00:47:15 10 DMN: MSG 397 Send Failure: 450 Host down (gmail.com) 01-21-10 00:47:25 0 MSG 398 Analyzing result f...

GWIA 450 Host Down on 1 domain
I'm getting a 450 Host Down message on GWIA only when sending to 1 specific domain. I can telnet to port 25 and do an NSLookup to the MX record and it responds ok. I tried creating a Route.cfg with the ip address up the remote domain and still got the same condition. GWIA 6.5.4 Hi, dhoffrogge@comcast.net wrote: > > I'm getting a 450 Host Down message on GWIA only when sending to 1 > specific domain. I can telnet to port 25 Directly from your GWIA server? This is exactly what a 450 host down says. YOur gwia can not connect to port 25 of the resolved ...

To Gwia or not to Gwia
Hi everyone. I have 6.5.7 that is on a 10+ years box. It's time to put it to rest - I said but the boss does not want to spend the money - heard that before! It a suite using on GW and Gwava no other products. There are worried about email failure. So I'm trying GWAVA's Reload product. It works fine for the backup and the disaster recovery BUT you have no Gwia. Can I set up another Netware box with just the Gwia on it and disable the main box Gwia so that when the system fails ( and it will) we will have a email running service? Also is there a license issue here...

450 host down on GWIA 6.5
We are struggling with a DNS related issue..... GWIA can't ping outside of our firewall or our outside DNS. We can resolve gmail.com and others from a ping. We can ping other servers inside our firewall. Tried several TIDs and resolv.cfg is fine, there is no /mh switch on GWIA. Tired some other suggestions that actually made me register on this site. Are you having outbound only problems? Is it all email or just some email? Can't ping sounds like your firewall is blocking ICMP traffic--doesn't necessarily mean anything's wrong. If you can resolve anyth...

GWIA keeps giving 450 Host down
We have a groupwise 7.x system that is installed on windows 2000. The former tech had installed two NICS on a windows 2000 system one with a private ip address and the other NIC with a public ip address which was the registered IP for our domain. We have decided to move our server inside of a firewall. Now the public ip address is actually the Sonicwall firewall public ip address and we are port forwarding port 25 and port 110. The mail server now has only one NIC which is the private internal ip address. Internal mail works fine and we can receive external email too. GWIA just will ...

GWIA All Hosts Down
I have no idea at this point what could possibly have happened, but my gwia 6.0.3 began returning all outgoing mail with a host down (450) message. This started several days ago with the only related even I can think of was the sending of a broadcats email message to approx. 1,100 bcc recipients 5 days ago. Clearly some received the message (though I have no way of know how many at this point), yet just as clearly hundreds did not because of the 450 host down response. What I don know for certain is that for the past two days no email messages are being sent out with all havi...

Web resources about - GWIA: 450 host down...on a host that is NOT down - novell.groupwise.6x.gwia