450 host down (mydomain) on GWIA

Can somebody explain how I am getting these.  Everything seems to be
working.  Mail is entering and exiting.  I only have one PO, which is on
another machine, so I'm not sure why I am getting these at the GWIA.  I
am assuming that internal mail should not make it to the GWIA.  I am
getting mail from the internet in my mailbox so how can it say the host
is down.  What host is it talking about?

Mike McCarron

0
Michael
2/23/2004 3:42:43 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.gwia 5303 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Do you have the entries for both servers in the HOSTS file?  This is
important to GWIA.

"Michael P. McCarron" <mccarron@osfphila.org> wrote in message
> Can somebody explain how I am getting these.  Everything seems to be
> working.  Mail is entering and exiting.  I only have one PO, which is on
> another machine, so I'm not sure why I am getting these at the GWIA.  I
> am assuming that internal mail should not make it to the GWIA.  I am
> getting mail from the internet in my mailbox so how can it say the host
> is down.  What host is it talking about?
>
> Mike McCarron

0
Michael
2/23/2004 3:53:59 PM
Yes I checked hosts, hostname and resolv.  They all look good

Mike McCarron

Michael A. McKenney wrote:

> Do you have the entries for both servers in the HOSTS file?  This is
> important to GWIA.
>

> "Michael P. McCarron" <mccarron@osfphila.org> wrote in message
>
>>Can somebody explain how I am getting these.  Everything seems to be
>>working.  Mail is entering and exiting.  I only have one PO, which is on
>>another machine, so I'm not sure why I am getting these at the GWIA.  I
>>am assuming that internal mail should not make it to the GWIA.  I am
>>getting mail from the internet in my mailbox so how can it say the host
>>is down.  What host is it talking about?
>>
>>Mike McCarron

0
Michael
2/23/2004 4:34:44 PM
Does GWIA have the correct hostname for your mail server? It needs to match
the DNS entry for your mail server.  Do you have an internal DNS to help
GWIA resolve faster?

> Yes I checked hosts, hostname and resolv.  They all look good
>
> Mike McCarron
>
> Michael A. McKenney wrote:
>
> > Do you have the entries for both servers in the HOSTS file?  This is
> > important to GWIA.
> >

> > "Michael P. McCarron" <mccarron@osfphila.org> wrote in message
> >
> >>Can somebody explain how I am getting these.  Everything seems to be
> >>working.  Mail is entering and exiting.  I only have one PO, which is on
> >>another machine, so I'm not sure why I am getting these at the GWIA.  I
> >>am assuming that internal mail should not make it to the GWIA.  I am
> >>getting mail from the internet in my mailbox so how can it say the host
> >>is down.  What host is it talking about?
> >>
> >>Mike McCarron

0
Michael
2/23/2004 4:50:32 PM
450 error could be a firewall issue.  Does GWIA and Groupwise sit on the
same side of the firewall?  I resolve 450 errors by adding the IP addresses
of the mail servers I want to get mail from to the allowed list of the
firewall.

" Michael A. McKenney" <mckennma@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
> Does GWIA have the correct hostname for your mail server? It needs to
match
> the DNS entry for your mail server.  Do you have an internal DNS to help
> GWIA resolve faster?
>

> "Michael P. McCarron" <mccarron@osfphila.org> wrote in message
> > Yes I checked hosts, hostname and resolv.  They all look good
> >
> > Mike McCarron
> >
> > Michael A. McKenney wrote:
> >
> > > Do you have the entries for both servers in the HOSTS file?  This is
> > > important to GWIA.
> > >

> > > "Michael P. McCarron" <mccarron@osfphila.org> wrote in message

0
Michael
2/23/2004 5:00:11 PM
Probably TID10052707

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

Mike McCarron

Michael A. McKenney wrote:

> Does GWIA have the correct hostname for your mail server? It needs to match
> the DNS entry for your mail server.  Do you have an internal DNS to help
> GWIA resolve faster?
>

> "Michael P. McCarron" <mccarron@osfphila.org> wrote in message
>
>>Yes I checked hosts, hostname and resolv.  They all look good
>>
>>Mike McCarron
>>
>>Michael A. McKenney wrote:
>>

>>>Do you have the entries for both servers in the HOSTS file?  This is
>>>important to GWIA.
>>>

>>>"Michael P. McCarron" <mccarron@osfphila.org> wrote in message

0
Michael
2/23/2004 8:42:46 PM
The gwia and po are on different servers but both are behind the
firewall.  Are you saying I need to get the server address from my ISP
that is sending me mail.  Is there any way of telling what messages are
giving me these problems.  As I said, I am getting mail in and out.  I'm
just not sure where these messages are coming from.  I think they might
have started when we went to NAT a few weeks ago, but since mail is
going through we didn't realize we had a problem.

Mike McCarron

Michael A. McKenney wrote:

> 450 error could be a firewall issue.  Does GWIA and Groupwise sit on the
> same side of the firewall?  I resolve 450 errors by adding the IP addresses
> of the mail servers I want to get mail from to the allowed list of the
> firewall.
>

> " Michael A. McKenney" <mckennma@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
>
>>Does GWIA have the correct hostname for your mail server? It needs to
>
> match
>
>>the DNS entry for your mail server.  Do you have an internal DNS to help
>>GWIA resolve faster?
>>

>>"Michael P. McCarron" <mccarron@osfphila.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Yes I checked hosts, hostname and resolv.  They all look good
>>>
>>>Mike McCarron

> on

> host

0
Michael
2/23/2004 8:46:35 PM
Do you have NAT configured correctly on your firewall?

"Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message
> Probably TID10052707
>
> Cheers Dave
>

> --
>
> Dave Parkes [NSCS]
> Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

0
Michael
2/23/2004 9:07:10 PM
We are already using internal DNS and I have checked all the entries to
make sure they're right.  I have also done a nslookup from the gwia
server and the addresses come out Ok.  this does not happen on every
piece of mail, but seems sporadic.  I'm not getting any calls from users
that they are getting undeliverable messages.

Dave Parkes wrote:

> Probably TID10052707
>
> Cheers Dave

0
Michael
2/23/2004 9:49:42 PM
I think so. We are getting mail in and out.  IS there any way to isolate
these messages that are giving me the errors.  no one seems to be
getting a lot of undeleverable message.  Shouldn't a 450 send something
to the sender?

Mike McCarron

Michael A. McKenney wrote:

> Do you have NAT configured correctly on your firewall?
>

> "Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Probably TID10052707
>>
>>Cheers Dave
>>

>>--
>>
>>Dave Parkes [NSCS]
>>Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

0
Michael
2/23/2004 9:54:12 PM
Did you try placing a route.cfg file in your GWIA directory?  Here is what
my route.cfg statement looks like.  You need the [ ] for the IP.

mail.eamericorp.com [216.45.3.254]

> We are already using internal DNS and I have checked all the entries to
> make sure they're right.  I have also done a nslookup from the gwia
> server and the addresses come out Ok.  this does not happen on every
> piece of mail, but seems sporadic.  I'm not getting any calls from users
> that they are getting undeliverable messages.
>
> Dave Parkes wrote:
>
> > Probably TID10052707
> >
> > Cheers Dave

0
Michael
2/24/2004 1:57:05 PM
Well, if the mail server can't find itself, then they wouldn't be
getting any undeliverable messages and would never know.

Just try setting up a route.cfg and seeing if that cures the errors.

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave
2/24/2004 6:37:24 PM
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

We are using NAT and I had to set up a internal DNS server to resolve the =
private address for may domian

IE: Inside mail.domain.com resolves to 10.x.x.x
     Outside Mail.domain.com resolves to 63.x.x.x
That way if someone send tos user@domain.com from the inside it can =
resolve.
We are also useing PAT and only mapping the needed ports. As far as the =
server knows everything
it receives is on the private network.=20

NOTE: If you are running a Web server etc you will also have to add all =
NATed servers to the  private
DNS server or you will no longer be able to resolve the domain.com =
addresses correctly.

Doug