Rule to send email on startup sends multiple emails

On client 6.5.7, creating a rule to send an email upon startup results
in sending a continuous stream of emails until the rule is disabled and
the client is restarted. I've found TID 3325376 referring to GW7, but
nothing on 6.5.x. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks as always.
Len Bonk
Network Analyst
Community Unit School District 200
0
Len
2/22/2008 2:44:29 PM
novell.groupwise.6x.clients 14887 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Len Bonk wrote:

> 3325376

That bug was marked as "invalid". This is the explanaition from development
about that particular bug:

"This is working as designed.  each time the client starts up it will
process the rule for each item in the account.  This is by design.  If the
user only wants to process messages that haven't been processed previously
he'll need to create criteria and actions to achieve this.  For instance,
he could fire the rule and move the item to a 'processed' folder after the
rule has completed.
Then the startup rule could be configured to only operate on items in the
mailbox.

If the user is looking for a single 'startup' or 'shutdown' type of rule
then this should be opened as a separate enhancement request."

Please let me know if this is your case or not.

If it's not your case then give us more information about those rules you'd
like to run at the client start up.

Roberto Helering.
0
Roberto
2/22/2008 4:55:46 PM
On startup and on shutdown rules, trawl through the entire content of the
GW account - and fire off the rule for every message that fits the rule.
So it will take a long time, and often will generate way more messages
than you expect. It looks at *all* folders not just the mailbox

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
Dave Parkes wrote:
> On startup and on shutdown rules, trawl through the entire content of
> the GW account - and fire off the rule for every message that fits the
> rule. So it will take a long time, and often will generate way more
> messages than you expect. It looks at *all* folders not just the mailbox
>
> Cheers Dave

What I am saying, and perhaps I've not stated it correctly, is when
creating a rule when the event is startup, and no other conditions, with
  an action of sending an email, the client will continue to send emails
until you kill the rule and restart GW.

My question is within these parameters, shouldn't GW simply send only
one email?

Thanks again.
Len
0
Len
2/22/2008 5:40:09 PM
As I said, the rule will execute for *every* *single* message in the
entire account. Hence the rush of messages.

>My question is within these parameters, shouldn't GW simply send only one
>email?

So NO is the answer to your question <g>

Any rule will execute once for every message that fits the criteria of the
rule. Maybe some details of what you are trying to do would help us think
of a way of achieving what you after.

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave
2/22/2008 9:59:49 PM
Dave Parkes wrote:
> As I said, the rule will execute for *every* *single* message in the
> entire account. Hence the rush of messages.
>

>> My question is within these parameters, shouldn't GW simply send only
>> one email?
>
> So NO is the answer to your question <g>
>
> Any rule will execute once for every message that fits the criteria of
> the rule. Maybe some details of what you are trying to do would help us
> think of a way of achieving what you after.
>
> Cheers Dave

OK got it. Thanks Dave. I was actually trying to help out my boss with a
rule he created. I think we both have a better understanding of the
process now.

Len
0
Len
2/26/2008 4:11:20 PM
Ok, but there may be other ways round it, put the rule onto a folder with
a single message in it, and change the event to an on open of that folder,
something like that.

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave

Mass Email sending or Bulk sending email
  i have a Problem regarding Email sending ie : Bulk sending mails --> let me explain Clearly i have an excel sheet in that there are around 3000 Records and in that each and ever record has a unique email id( it can be either gmail , yahoo. or hotmail )so , now i need a soluction for how to send a Bulk email at a timeas i told earlier  , each record contain Unique email id , so i need to send email for individual recodes in excel with appropriate record data  for the above probm , i have writen a program with foreach loop --> it is like, i have taken a co...

Sending Email with multiple email attachments
I can send regular emails out with it and I can send emails with one attachment and it works fine. Why cant I Attach multiple attachments to an email. I already checked to be sure the files exist and they do and it local to the disk so its not over a network. Code for creating multiple attachments: ' Build an IList of mail attachments. If sAttach<>"" Then Dim delim As Char = CChar(",") Dim sSubstr As String For Each sSubstr in sAttach.Split(delim) Dim myAttachment As MailAttachment = ...

A problem to send email using Smtp
I have a proble to send an email from asp.net I do the following code to send an email: MailMessage mail=new MailMessage(); mail.From="test@server.com"; mail.To="myemailaddress@server.com"; mail.BodyFormat=MailFormat.Html; mail.Subject="testing..."; mail.Body="cool"; SmtpMail.SmtpServer="localhost"; SmtpMail.Send(mail); But I dont' receive an email when I use this method. Why is that? How can I send an email? Thanks in advance! check and see if.. -your client-side code has no errors -you imported the S...

How to send email through the default user email client
Hi  I am still struggling with this issue: I have a list of product in my page, beside every product there is a button named 'Send to a friend' i want when a user click on that button to open his default email client and throw a link of the product into the body of the new message I am using standard 'mailto' html function, but it does not allow me to format the body of the message instaed it just throw the html code as it is. not as html i would be really appreciated if i can get any help thank s    This isn't really a asp.net issue but i foun...

How to Send Email(Text Based Email Client)
Hi, Im now learning about sending emails,i need toknow about sending emails from textbased clients to a particular user or to another user in another system connected in LAN. -- subscribeid ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SMTP protocol used for sending email is very simple to program. Commands (if you don't use complex authetication and encryption) are quite simple and you can even connect to a SMTP server using tools such as telnet, netcat etc. for learning purposes. It is easy to write a mail client in C and VERY easy in...

do-send-email, do-send-email-from-template attach a new file...
I like to do toolkit rules that report or fix things, based on a trigger attribute. Like these articles: http://www.novell.com/communities/node/6308/toolkit-rules-identity-manager-part-1 http://www.novell.com/communities/node/6310/toolkit-rules-identity-manager-part-2 http://www.novell.com/communities/node/6316/toolkit-rules-identity-manager-part-3 http://www.novell.com/communities/node/6440/toolkit-rules-identity-manager-part-4 http://www.novell.com/communities/node/6441/example-use-toolkit-rule-identity-manager http://www.novell.com/communities/node/6514/another-toolkit-rule-use-e...

How to send email to multiple clients
How to send email to multiple clients.I am using system.web.mail; namespace and mailmessage class to send the mail.when it is a case of sending mail to a single client it works absolutely fine..what abt sending it to a multiple clients.  Yes,you can only send emails to a client once a time through System.Web.Mail.MailMessage in asp.net 1.1. If you want to send emails to multiple clients,you'd better send emails in a loop. If you send emails using System.Net.Mail in asp.net 2.0,you can send them to multiple clients because the recients are a MailAddress collection. So I advise t...

GroupWise Client Crashing when Sending Emails
GroupWise Client v6.5.1 Have 1 user that is unable to send mail. GroupWise client will crash no matter which workstation the user logs in to. Can send mail from WebAccess. Running GWCheck, Analyze/Fix Database, Structural, Index, and Contents, did not fix the problem. Anyone experienced this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks, Jason Same problem. Ran a reset client options and had user check thier archive. They had a message that was holding it up and crashing thier client connection. snodayz1031@yahoo.com wrote in news:En7Zb.2378$tW6.2322@prv- forum2.provo.no...

Sending Emails like Signup email and forgot password email
I have a txt file named signup.txt and i want it to be sent when a user signs up like when when you sign up for a website you get a signup welcome i have the following code to do the job this code signs up the user public ActionResult Signup(string username, string password, string email) { //using (new CodeBenchmark()) {JsonResult result = new JsonResult();if (Globals.DisableSignup) {result.errorMessage = "User signup is currently disabled. Try back later"; }else if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(username)) {result.errorMessage = "User name cannot be blank."; }else ...

Client crashes when sending email with multiple recipients
I have a client on GW Client version 8.0.1. Every time he tries to send an email to, or "reply all" to an email with more than 6 recipients, his client crashes and he is kicked out of GroupWise. The faulting module is msvcr800.dll. This user is running in caching mode, because he is located at a remote site, connected by a small pipe, and has LOTS of emails. I have run GWCHECK on his remote/caching mailbox using the analyze/fix option, and it did recover space in his user and msg.db files. It also found 1 record with error 83 (failed to archive), 2 error code 3 (LIN ...

Securing Non-GroupWise clients to send Email
Hello All, We have a few die hard users who still use clients other than the GW client. (Ouchlook) As these users travel a lot, we are encountering problems where the SMTP send process is being captured by the Hotel's SMTP relay server and the email's are being sent via the Hotel's SMTP server instead of our server even though there is a VPN connection established. Does anyone know how I can prevent this from happening? We are using GW 6.5 sp3/sp4 Thanks Colin colinb@myrealbox.com, > Hello All, > > We have a few die hard users who still use cli...

OSX Client Crashes, sends multiple emails
GW 7.0.2 Server OSX 10.4.11 Client GW 7.0.2 Client User is getting a random crash in the GroupWise Client when they click on the Send Button. It is only the Client that crashes, the rest of the system continues to operate. Then when they get back in, it shows that they have sent out sometimes 2 or 3 of the same email. When I look at the properties of the email, they each have a different ID. This is what I have done so far on this client: - Uninstalled and Re-Installed the Client - Ran a DB repair on the user account - User doesn't have a mobile account We have the ...

Script to open email client to send email also opens IE browser
Hi Friends - I tried the following code - linkbutton's clicked event - for the user to send email using their default email client e.g. Outlook Express. private void lbtnEmail_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { try { string sMemberId = Session["MemberId"].ToString(); } catch { Response.Redirect("logon.aspx"); } // **** Response.Redirect("mailto:" + sEmail + "?SUBJECT=Greetings!"); // **** } The problem is although the email client Outlook Express opens correctly, so does the IE browser wit...

I hope customing to be able to select to send all emails to send to a folder before sending.
Name: Hiro Product: Thunderbird Summary: I hope customing to be able to select to send all emails to send to a folder before sending. Comments: When a mail is intended to be send,the mail is wished to be sent to a folder before sending at first.At the customizing page,it would be better to choose whether mails is once to be sent to a sending folder or are sent to the destination,at once.In my case,I send all mails to sending preparation folder,and after checking them all,I send them.I know that I can send a email to mail folder before sending,but being able to customize t...

Web resources about - Rule to send email on startup sends multiple emails - novell.groupwise.6x.clients

Multiple sequence alignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A multiple sequence alignment (MSA) is a sequence alignment of three or more biological sequences , generally protein , DNA , or RNA . In many ...

Man charged with murder of 21yo found on road in Tewantin with multiple stab wounds
Police charge a man with the murder of a 21-year-old man found lying on a road with multiple stab wounds to his chest.

Multiple shots fired at Atlanta mall - abc13.com
Multiple shots were fired Saturday evening in a suburban Atlanta mall, prompting a frantic rush by shoppers to evacuate.

Nigeria: Over 70 Feared Killed in Borno, Adamawa Multiple Blasts
More than 70 people were feared killed in multiple bomb attacks believed to have been carried out by Boko Haram militants and their agents in ...

Facebook is testing multiple topic-based News Feeds for mobile devices
... the information you want to see at the appropriate times. According to the screenshots taken by Jason Stein, Facebook looks to be testing multiple, ...

Munich Police: Islamic State Planned New Year’s Eve Attack with Multiple Suicide Bombers
Munich police warned of a “serious, imminent threat” by Islamic State group suicide bombers wanting to commit an attack on New Year’s Eve.

An insanely high percentage of people — about 42% — are seeing "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" multiple ...
With the enormous box office sales "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is generating, it's a good bet that many people are going back numerous times ...

Miami teen shot multiple times at grandma's home
The victim reportedly remains in the hospital as police continue to search for the suspect

Gov. Jerry Brown pardoned Robert Downey Jr. for his multiple crimes in the ’90s
I’m old enough to remember when Robert Downey Jr. was an utter mess. Back in the ‘90s, I lost count of how many times he was arrested, how many ...

Gas tank explodes at plant in Nigeria; multiple fatalities reported
CNN Gas tank explodes at plant in Nigeria; multiple fatalities reported CNN Kano, Nigeria (CNN) An industrial gas tank exploded in southern ...