Upgrading Netware 5.1 SP4 to Netware 6.5

Can Netware 5.1 SP4 servers co-exist with Netware 6.5 servers?
Currently, all servers have Netware 5.1 SP4 with eDirectory 8.6.2
(DS.NLM 10350.07). We want to upgrade the replica servers to 6.5 first,
and then knock off our 5.1 servers over time. Can we do this without
applying SP6a to Netware 5.1? If not, then what would be the ideal
migration path?

Thanks in advance,

J Wolfgang Goerlich

0
jwgoerlich
2/16/2005 7:36:55 PM
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

,
> Can Netware 5.1 SP4 servers co-exist with Netware 6.5 servers?
Yes.

> Currently, all servers have Netware 5.1 SP4 with eDirectory 8.6.2
> (DS.NLM 10350.07). We want to upgrade the replica servers to 6.5 first,
> and then knock off our 5.1 servers over time. Can we do this without
> applying SP6a to Netware 5.1? If not, then what would be the ideal
> migration path?

Depending on how long this migration is going to take, then you could
consider Sp7 and edir 8.7.3.3 on the 5.1 servers.

Will this be an in-place or new server migration?

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
2/16/2005 8:32:35 PM
Thank you for the response.

> Depending on how long this migration is going to take,
> then you could consider Sp7 and edir 8.7.3.3 on the
> 5.1 servers.

It should be a matter of weeks to make the transistion. Hence my
question. We would like to avoid touching all the servers twice, one
for the SP and then again for the OS.

Can we scoot by on SP4?

> Will this be an in-place or new server migration?

In-place.

J Wolfgang Goerlich

0
jwgoerlich
2/16/2005 9:54:57 PM
,
> Can we scoot by on SP4?

Not according to the docs:
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10073858.htm
"Before upgrading a server to eDirectory 8.7, read the minimum upgrade
requirements provided in the Novell eDirectory 8.7 Administration
Guide. The server to be upgraded must be running one of the following:

* NetWare 6 with Support Pack 2 or later
* NetWare 5.1 with Support Pack 5 or later"

and:
http://www.novell.com/documentation/nw65/index.html

"NetWare� 6.5 supports upgrades from the following:
NetWare 4.2 server with Support Pack 9 (Down-Server Upgrade)
NetWare 5.1 server with Support Pack 6
NetWare 6.0 server with Support Pack 3"

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

In-place upgrade from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I am going to upgrade my Netware 5.1 servers to Netware 6.5, any precautions, suggestions, or comment about the in-place upgrade? There are many servers in my environment, but all of them are: Netware 5.1 SP8 Netware 5.1 SP7 NDS 7.62c NDS7.61 Thanks for any reply. Question Man wrote: > I am going to upgrade my Netware 5.1 servers to Netware 6.5, any > precautions, suggestions, or comment about the in-place upgrade? > > There are many servers in my environment, but all of them are: > Netware 5.1 SP8 > Netware 5.1 SP7 > NDS 7.62c > NDS7.61 ...

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

Questions on upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
We are currently running Netware 5.1sp5 ds 8 version 8.82 I want to install a clean netware 6.5 server and make it the Master replica, following with an inplace upgrade of six read\write netware 5.1 servers to 6.5. What should I be concerned about? Does this sound like the appropriate path to take? You can install the NW6.5 server as a Pre-Migration server, there will be no other application installed on the server, use MW7.1. In order to do this make sure all you other servers have eDir8.7.3 install and update the SP to the latest available for NW5.1. Get a copy of the tru...

Upgrading a Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5
I am part of a large tree. Before starting upgrade of Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5 I ran dsrepair and received no errors. During the Health check of the upgrade I received two warnings. They are Warning extend schema and repair schema. All the primary servers in the tree have already been upgraded to Netware 6.5. The admin of the primary servers control extend the schema. I am trying to find out if the warnings I received is something they need to repair or is there something else I need to do on my own server? I would appreciated any help I can get. Thanks Michel...

Web resources about - Upgrading Netware 5.1 SP4 to Netware 6.5 - novell.edirectory.netware

Mac Spoofed: Upgrading [Low Quality]
PC teaches Mac about the benefits of upgradability.

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Looks like Labor's upgrading from Tarago to minibus
The people of Stafford have done the rest of Queensland a favour by electing Dr Anthony Lynham.

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube