Re-associate User ID's with Home Directories

Hello all,

When our main server crashed, we had to restore from backup. All the
volumes containing our users files were restored back into their original
location and server was given the same name, but our users have lost the
association between their account and home directory. We started to
manually go through and re-associate the directories with the users on
ConsoleOne, but this would take days. Is there a tool that could perform
a batch operation for such a task? The User ID is the same as the folder
name.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Williams

0
timw
7/6/2004 10:31:16 PM
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If it were me, I'd probably write a script in awk or some other scripting
language to generate a batch import for UIMPORT or ICE and handle it that
way.

Are all the users in the same context?

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson, Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
 Homepage at http://hendersj.dyndns.org

0
Jim
7/7/2004 1:36:12 AM
JRButils has something,,,and that free Home something utility from
coolsolutions may help.

--
Jeff Johnson CNE6, MCNE, CDE, DCNSP
jedijeff {at} gmail (dot) com

<timw@sbc.qld.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> When our main server crashed, we had to restore from backup. All the
> volumes containing our users files were restored back into their original
> location and server was given the same name, but our users have lost the
> association between their account and home directory. We started to
> manually go through and re-associate the directories with the users on
> ConsoleOne, but this would take days. Is there a tool that could perform
> a batch operation for such a task? The User ID is the same as the folder
> name.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tim Williams

0
Jeff
7/7/2004 1:44:35 AM
Ive got sethome2 but its a bindery version! Do you know where i can get a
version for NDS?

> JRButils has something,,,and that free Home something utility from
> coolsolutions may help.
>
> --
> Jeff Johnson CNE6, MCNE, CDE, DCNSP
> jedijeff {at} gmail (dot) com
>

> <timw@sbc.qld.edu.au> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > When our main server crashed, we had to restore from backup. All the
> > volumes containing our users files were restored back into their
original
> > location and server was given the same name, but our users have lost
the
> > association between their account and home directory. We started to
> > manually go through and re-associate the directories with the users on
> > ConsoleOne, but this would take days. Is there a tool that could
perform
> > a batch operation for such a task? The User ID is the same as the
folder
> > name.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Tim Williams

0
timw
7/7/2004 6:41:41 AM
www.jrbsoftware.com

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
timw@sbc.qld.edu.au wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> When our main server crashed, we had to restore from backup. All the
> volumes containing our users files were restored back into their original
> location and server was given the same name, but our users have lost the
> association between their account and home directory. We started to
> manually go through and re-associate the directories with the users on
> ConsoleOne, but this would take days. Is there a tool that could perform
> a batch operation for such a task? The User ID is the same as the folder
> name.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tim Williams

Cool solutions tool: Homes 3.00

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1568.html

Marcel de Roode
Erasmus University Rotterdam

Send Message to user's Skype' id ,MSN' Id ,Yahoo'sID or Gmail ID.
hi, i m writing a application in which i have to notify the user to his Skype' id ,MSN' Id ,Yahoo'sID or Gmail ID. Please let me know the code usign C#   Thanks Tulika. hi, what do you want to do...i mean....do you wnat to send email's or do you want to send message to the messenger. thanks, rajiv hi i want to send IM messages to online and offline users not Email. Please help me....

how to change a user's mailbox but keep the user's GW id
We have a user whose email has a space between her first name and middle name, which cause the problem in sending out email or receive email from the outside the network. Can someone advise how and where I suppose to change her email name to a valid name like firstname.middlename.lastname@xxx.com from firstname middle.lastname@xxx.com? Thank you very much! On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:27:51 +0000, April wrote: Duplicate. -- Joe Marton Novell Support Forum SysOp Novell does not officially monitor these forums! Use the Internet override - in ConsoleOne, GroupWise Tab, Inte...

Automatically make directories in user's home directory
How can I do this? Basically I want the equivalent of /etc/skel on linux to happen on my netware box. Specifically what I am wanting is a Favorites folder and a Desktop folder made in their home directory so I can use folder redirection to point those portions of their profiles to there. I do not want to hand make these folders in every new user's home directory. Thanks! Adam I see that those mirectories are made automatically. Although I would still be interested to know if there is some way to do an equivalent to /etc/skel because I can see that being usefull. T...

changes made from one user's webpart's page, effects all user's
 I am just doing this offline right now in Visual Web Developer Express 2008I created the login inonce in the memberpage area, people can modify their webpart page. I created several users to test this out.  I loaded it in a browser.When I make changes as logged in user "A" .  Then logout and login as user "B", user "B,s" webpart page has been changed to user "A".This goes true for whomever I log in as.  It changes for everyone.Is there something specific I need to do in order to get everyone's changes to be unique for them...

Install into user's HOME directory?

Accessing a user's home directory
Hello, I'm building a xulrunner application, and I have a need to store/ access files in a user's home directory; that is, the application may be installed system-wide, but each user will be able to store/access their own files with it. How do I reference the user's home directory in a platform-agnostic way? Thanks! John On 06/02/2007 00:46 (CET), john wrote: > Hello, > > I'm building a xulrunner application, and I have a need to store/ > access files in a user's home directory; that is, the application may > be installed system-wide...

Securing or encrypting a user's home directory
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with products that could encrypt a user's home directory entirely, where by they would unlock it upon logging into the tree? Maybe something that integrates into the Novell client. We use NetWare 6.5 file servers but are headed towards OES2 Thanks! -- dsmi87dgf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Can you find server's SCSI ID's in Netware v5.1?
I'm trying to find what SCSI ID's are currently in use on a Netware 5.1 server. Is there any way/command that I can find this info while the server is running? , > I'm trying to find what SCSI ID's are currently in use on a Netware 5.1 > server. Is there any way/command that I can find this info while the server > is running? > Yes. You can look at the disk info in MONITOR. AFAIK did the Compaq docs used to have a good explanation on decoding the device string. See: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/bit.listserv.novell/browse_thread/thread/46c145...

Can you move User's Home Directories by Hand?
I have a need to move about 200 user's home directories from a NW5.0 server to and NW6.5 server. I was going to do it this weekend. I was searching around on Deja.com and it seems a lot of people pay a bundle to get a utility to do it. Is there anything wrong with just copying the directories from one server to another and then editing the user objects through console1 and changing it to the new loc? Obviously it will take some time, but is there any actual reason or danger invovled in just doing it this way? Thanks for your help. Hopefully, I can get it done this wee...

Re: [wxperl-users] Getting a window from it's ID
>On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:51:57 +0100 Stuart.Moore@Symbian.com wrote: > >> Hi there. Sorry if this is a basic question but I've looked around the >> documentation and got nowhere so far. >> >> 1) How do I get a reference to a window given it's numeric ID? > $ancestor->FindWindow( $id ), where $ancestor is the parent (or > grandparent, or grand-grandparent...) of the window you want to find. How do I/Can I from within the App class (other than keeping links to every window opened?) Many thanks Stuart Moore ********************...

NXserver, No .Xauthority file in user's home directory
Been trying to get nxserver running on 11.2 i386 at location A and keep getting an error on connecting from client at location B. Code: -------------------- NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 6439 NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options NX> 200 Connected to address: 72.4.183.23 on port: 22 NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey /usr/bin/xauth: /usr/NX/home/nx/.Xauthority not writable, changes will be ignored HELLO NXSERVE...

Windows My Documents pointing to Netware's Home Directory
Is there a good tid, or something in the cool solutions, or can someone tell me how to get Windows XP "My Documents" to point two your Netware's Home Directory using Zenwork For Desktops version 4. I'm using the Group Policies feature, but can't find anything in the editor for this feature. HELP !! David Hoyt Here are a couple ways that I know of. http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/bordermag/features/trenches/tr_schoo l_tips_bm.html#mattv http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/zenworks/features/trenches/tr_folder _redirect_group_policy_zw....

ifolder 2.1 and user's Home directory
Is it possible to have ifolder point to the user's H:drive? I think it would be much easier to maintain. Also easier on the users they would not have to track 2 sets of files. I know this was not available on previous versions. Can someone let me know if its been added or how to do it? Thank you. , > Is it possible to have ifolder point to the user's H:drive? I think it > would be much easier to maintain. Also easier on the users they would not > have to track 2 sets of files. I know this was not available on previous > versions. Can someone let me know i...

Moving user's home directories to NSS partition
Hi all! Can I move/change my user's home directories to a NSS partition? I need to setup the user home directory when create user account, using \\server\volume at the user home directory field, in iManager. Can I do this? Anybody here has some information about? Tks, Best regards... Alan Cota. On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 00:17:54 +0000, Alan Cota wrote: Sure any user residing in eDirectory can have their home directory residing on an NSS volume, no problem. Just treat it the same way as if the volume had resided on a NetWare server. -- ___________________________...

Web resources about - Re-associate User ID's with Home Directories - novell.edirectory.netware