Multiple IP addresses

Question:

I have a server with two NICs -> 2 IP addresses.
Now when I log on to the network as user1, and
I ping the server, I always get response from
IP address 1. When I log on as user2, I always get
a reply from IP address 2. Can anyone tell me if
this is a (strange) coincidence, or is this normal
behaviour?!? BTW: user1 and user2 are in different
contexts. user1 has admin rights, user2 has normal
user rights. I tested this on several PCs on my
network, but always get the same results as described
above. (user1 -> IP address 1, user2 -> IP address 2)

If it is normal behaviour, can this be set per user or
perhaps per context? And if so, where?

Thanks in advance

0
t_van_gennip
3/22/2004 11:05:01 AM
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

t_van_gennip@REMOVEhotmail.com,

Are both users located in the same subnet or physical segment? I take
it that you ping the servers dns name and not the ip address?
You might wanna compare what dns servers the two users are using.

> If it is normal behaviour, can this be set per user or
> perhaps per context? And if so, where?

There's no way that you can set this sort of thing on context or users.
In fact it has nothing to do with eDirectory. This is more a server
issue.

--
//Niclas Ekstedt
_______________________________
> Are both users located in the same subnet or physical segment? I take
> it that you ping the servers dns name and not the ip address?
> You might wanna compare what dns servers the two users are using.

I will investigate to see if that makes any difference. I remember that
logging on to the same PC as user1, and later as user2 produced IP address
1 for user1 and IP address 2 for user2. I will try a number of machines to
see if I can recognize a pattern. BTW: Yes, I ping the dns name. And the
DNS settings on the client are set by the server, when logging on.
Only the domain name is set at the client, all other settings (gateway
etc.) are being picked up from the (same) server during logon.

Thanks so far.

Tonnie
0
t_van_gennip
3/24/2004 9:09:32 PM
t_van_gennip@REMOVEhotmail.com,

OK, please compare a couple of machines and post back with your results.
If the machines are querying the same DNS server you shouldn't get two
different responses.

--
//Niclas Ekstedt
_______________________________
Niclas Ekstedt, CNE, NSC Sysop
Iftech Network AB
_______________________________
0
Niclas

edirectory issues with multiple IP addresses
Installed OES servers in our tree- all are basically identical fully patched OES1 SP2 Linux installations A few questions relating to multiple addresses on a NIC... As I understand it, the nds.conf file requires a listing for each IP address @524 separated by a comma following the list of the other IP address(es) already being listened to by the NDS. We currently have 7 IP addresses on each (7 addresses per server NIC) of our servers' NICs. They seem to work fine currently with this configuration, responding on all IP addresses correctly and each server is aware of the other se...

How to Specify an IP address range for Network Address Restrictions in NetWare
I am looking for a way to restrict logins to my server from a range of different subnets. I found this tid http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10057948.htm but that is for restricting it to one subnet. Another consideration is we don't want this to impact ftp/ssh since we have some vendors that connect to us. Any ideas? Thanks in advance On 2/15/2007 Harold@askme.com wrote: > Any ideas? You should use FILTCFG instead. http://support.novell.com/docs/Tids/InfoDocument/2930996.html -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp ...

Bind EAServer to a given IP address on server with multiple IPs
Hello, The systems guy at my client has set up a new W2K3 server. He has assigned multiple IP addresses to this machine. He wants Jaguar to listen on port 80 on a single specific IP address, but not the others. Can/How do I accomplish this with EAS 5.3 ? Is it as simple as setting the listener.hostname to be the IP rather than ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME} ? Thanks, D yep. -- Dean Jones CEO PowerObjects http://www.powerobjects.com (612) 339-3355 Ext. 112 TeamSybase * * Think Sybase * * "Daniel Coppersmith" <coppersmith2002_A_T_hotmail_D_O_T_N0SPA...

multiple ip addresses
netware 6.5 sp3 cluster 2 nodes i need to add a secondary ip address for clients accessing via what we will call a strange route multi homing the server is ok but is it possible to add a secondary ip address to the virtual server that represents the volume Terry, Yes, just add the extra commands to the volume resource load/unload scripts. Add secondary ipaddres= Del secondary ipaddress= Keep in mind though that all sec ip addresses must be in the same subnet. -- Peter vd Woude --------- Novell Support Forums SysOp --------- > netware 6.5 sp3 cluster 2 nodes &...

Multiple IP Addresses
Windows XP SP2: How do I assign more than one IP address to a single NIC? Torrance On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:20:51 -0600, Torrance Bell <starlite528@yahoo.com> wrote: >Windows XP SP2: >How do I assign more than one IP address to a single NIC? Same as in Windows 2000. Set 1 static IP. After that, add as many more as you like in the ADVANCED section. AFAIK, you cannot add a second IP (at least not as easily) if the first one is auto (DHCP). HTH, Bill -- Expert Opinions $5 I Shut-Up $10 In grc.techtalk, on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:20:51, Torrance Bell wrote: ...

Problem the IP address showing is NOT my IP address I am at.
host217-35-99-250.in-addr.btopenworld.com or 217.35.99.250 is someone else's IP address, not my IP address (12.98.80.XXX a Dynamic IP address range) when I test my ports with the NanoProbe system. In message <b6i8f8$tp1$1@news.grc.com>, abcministoragellc <abcministoragellc@netzero.net> kicked in with > >host217-35-99-250.in-addr.btopenworld.com >or 217.35.99.250 >is someone else's IP address, not my IP address (12.98.80.XXX a Dynamic >IP address range) >when I test my ports with the NanoProbe system. Had the same here, a couple of minute...

multiple IP addresses
Newbie question: I ran Steve's port check yesterday and it found two IP addresses on my machine, one in with all ports in stealth and one with all closed. Today there are three addresses: two in stealth and the same one closed. Any comments? (running WIN98+; Zone Alarm freeware; Finjan Surfinguard; Norton Systemworks; Limeware uninstalled) Tritone Exactly what IPs are you seeing? -Andy (CEO, Dynamic Bits) http://dynamicbits.com "tritone" <tritone@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:a43v3d$u8q$1@news.grc.com... > Newbie question...

Multiple IP addresses on Server
We are in the process of switching all of our client PC's over to a different subnet mask for IP addresses. I would like our Sybase server to be able to communicate with client PC's with either of our subnet masks since this process will take up to a week to complete. However, after adding an additional IP address to our NT server, the only PC's that can communicate are those with the same subnet mask as the primary IP address on the server. The other clients can ping the NT server, but not the Sybase server (sybping). Can't Sybase handle this or am I doing somethin...

What is Ip address if network card has more than one ip address assigned
Okay, I have a machine running sqlanywhere server, I have several ip addresses bound to the network card. if I am going to use a client on another computer, what ip address is sqlanywhere server bound to? Regards, Andy Pick one! Then when you configure the db server us it: -x TCPIP{MYIP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx} -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com Houston, TX *********************************************************** Enterprise Applications in Your Future? JumpStart '99 Ent...

Multiple DHCP IP addresses?
W2K+SP4 Is it possible to have multiple DHCP supplied IP addresses on the same NIC? Regards, Dave. In grc.techtalk David Brown wrote: > W2K+SP4 > > Is it possible to have multiple DHCP supplied IP addresses on the > same NIC? Not at the same time. On 2004-07-09, Mark V <notvalid@nul.invalid> wrote: > In grc.techtalk David Brown wrote: > >> W2K+SP4 >> >> Is it possible to have multiple DHCP supplied IP addresses on the >> same NIC? > > Not at the same time. Unless you control the DHCP server ... then you ca...

Pinging Multiple IP Addresses
Our vido surveillance system encoders and software are installed as a pilot on a large Novell network. The encoders have fixed IPs and transmit video to our applications running on client PCs on the network. The client PCs can recieve video streams from multiple encoders simultaneously. The network server is running Novell Netware 6.5 SP2, the clients are running 5.1 SP2 on the Win2000 machines and 4.9 SP1A on the XP machines. The clients within the network are only able to access one encoder at a time. We know that multicasting is working over the network, because our laptop PC...

IP Address Restriction for eDirectory
Is it possible to restrict eDirectory to accept requests from a single ip address(in our solution single server). We are looking for a solution from eDirectory software point of view. -- meetglad ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I' not sure what your goal is. If you're speaking about clients allowed to connect only from specific host- or networkadresses (IP;MAC-adr or eg. IPX) Yes, that's possible IF you connect via native NCP (NovellClient). NetWorkAddressRestriction is the term... If you connect using LDAP, that ...

POA shows old ip address for client/server ip address
i just upgraded groupwise from 5.5 to 6.5 Clients cannot access via tcp/ip even though its setup with the correct ip address in console one. when looking at the poa log file at the server, it gives the old server ip address instead of the current ip address. I cannot find that old ip address in any settings, or is there another problem that is keeping me from accessing via the client using tcp/ip. Hi, Have you checked the POA startup file? Settings in there for the ipaddress and port override anything put into consoleone. Cheers, Steve <bfish@emily.ne...

Changing to NAT using Private IP address What to do with OLd IP addresses
I have a client that is setting up NAT and using private addresses for the internal network. If we add new IP addresses to DCHP, do we delete the old addresses or is there a way to specify which set of Ip addresses for DHCP to hand out? Also, is there a way to just edit the present addresses? We looked and we are not able to see a way to edit the addreses. Thanks in advance for your help and advice. PLW In article <KVn8c.8445$jb5.1118@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, wrote: > If we add new IP addresses to DCHP, do we delete the > old addresses or is there a wa...

Web resources about - Multiple IP addresses - novell.edirectory.netware

Postal addresses in the Republic of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ireland is one of the few countries in the world, and the only EU country, that does not have a Postal code system. As of 2012, the Irish Government ...

New Beta Version Of Facebook For Android Addresses Several Bugs
Facebook announced the release of an updated Facebook for Android beta version 3.5 in a post in the Facebook for Android Beta Testers group. ...

The Rewards and Risks of Facebook Developer Access to User Phone Numbers and Addresses
Facebook has begun allowing developers to ask users for their mobile phone number and home addresses in a move that will show the best and worst ...

IPCC Chair Addresses Summit on Climate Change - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rajendra Pachauri, Chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), addresses the opening plenary session of the Summit on Climate ...

Jonathan Krohn Addresses CPAC - YouTube
more at cspan.org Jonathan Krohn at CPAC, February 27, 2009

Julie Bishop addresses Paris climate agreement
Addressing all signatories of the accord, Julie Bishop said nations must now "return home to implement the new global agreement". Vision courtesy ...

Facing #WhitePeopleProblems Head On, FDA Addresses Tanning Salons And Children
I was just informed that white people let their kids sit in tanning beds? That can’t be true, can it? Why would you let your 15-year-old eat ...

Maps Minutes Hack #8: Set your home and work addresses for easy navigation
Part of our series on how to save time this holiday season with Google Maps. It’s crunch time. There are holiday parties to attend and last-minute ...

Pentagon chief addresses possible friendly fire strike
Iraq says American airstrike killed some of its soldiers