Multiple actions on multiple users at once

Hi!

We have a big problem and need to change some properties on multiple user
objects at once.
The users are in the correct groups but have the security equal to set to a
wrong group so I need to copy the group membership property to the security
equal to property and remove the incorrect security equal to.

Right now I'm doing it this way:

I search for user objects in iManager:

GroupMembership EQUAL TO GroupX.OU.O AND SecurityEqual NOT EQUAL GroupX.OU.O

I see all the users, I use multiple select and then Tasks, modify object,
security, security equal to.
I type in the group that is incorrect (I know the names of the incorrect
groups based on the name of the correct group), press enter, select remove
and apply. Then I type in the correct group, press enter, Add, Apply. It
works but we have several hundred groups and thousands of users...
There are about 30 users in each group.

Is there any faster way to do this or with less clicks?
Any kind of scripting or tools?
We are running LDAP if it helps, NW6.5.

Please advise me, Thanks.

0
John
1/14/2006 12:22:14 AM
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

John Meriam wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We have a big problem and need to change some properties on multiple
> user objects at once.  The users are in the correct groups but have
> the security equal to set to a wrong group so I need to copy the
> group membership property to the security equal to property and
> remove the incorrect security equal to.
>
> Right now I'm doing it this way:
>
> I search for user objects in iManager:
>
> GroupMembership EQUAL TO GroupX.OU.O AND SecurityEqual NOT EQUAL
> GroupX.OU.O
>
> I see all the users, I use multiple select and then Tasks, modify
> object, security, security equal to.  I type in the group that is
> incorrect (I know the names of the incorrect groups based on the name
> of the correct group), press enter, select remove and apply. Then I
> type in the correct group, press enter, Add, Apply. It works but we
> have several hundred groups and thousands of users...  There are
> about 30 users in each group.
>
> Is there any faster way to do this or with less clicks?
> Any kind of scripting or tools?
> We are running LDAP if it helps, NW6.5.
>
> Please advise me, Thanks.

LDIF ? You could try to use that.

--
Cheers,
Edward

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

Regards,

Aldo Zanoni
Omni Technology Solutions Inc.
www.omni-ts.com

"John Meriam" <aaa@bbb.ccc> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> We have a big problem and need to change some properties on multiple user
> objects at once.
> The users are in the correct groups but have the security equal to set to
> a wrong group so I need to copy the group membership property to the
> security equal to property and remove the incorrect security equal to.
>
> Right now I'm doing it this way:
>
> I search for user objects in iManager:
>
> GroupMembership EQUAL TO GroupX.OU.O AND SecurityEqual NOT EQUAL
> GroupX.OU.O
>
> I see all the users, I use multiple select and then Tasks, modify object,
> security, security equal to.
> I type in the group that is incorrect (I know the names of the incorrect
> groups based on the name of the correct group), press enter, select remove
> and apply. Then I type in the correct group, press enter, Add, Apply. It
> works but we have several hundred groups and thousands of users...
> There are about 30 users in each group.
>
> Is there any faster way to do this or with less clicks?
> Any kind of scripting or tools?
> We are running LDAP if it helps, NW6.5.
>
> Please advise me, Thanks.

0
Aldo
1/16/2006 12:00:33 AM
"John Meriam" <aaa@bbb.ccc> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> We have a big problem and need to change some properties on multiple user
> objects at once.
> The users are in the correct groups but have the security equal to set to
> a wrong group so I need to copy the group membership property to the
> security equal to property and remove the incorrect security equal to.
>
> Right now I'm doing it this way:
>
> I search for user objects in iManager:
>
> GroupMembership EQUAL TO GroupX.OU.O AND SecurityEqual NOT EQUAL
> GroupX.OU.O
>
> I see all the users, I use multiple select and then Tasks, modify object,
> security, security equal to.
> I type in the group that is incorrect (I know the names of the incorrect
> groups based on the name of the correct group), press enter, select remove
> and apply. Then I type in the correct group, press enter, Add, Apply. It
> works but we have several hundred groups and thousands of users...
> There are about 30 users in each group.
>
> Is there any faster way to do this or with less clicks?
> Any kind of scripting or tools?
> We are running LDAP if it helps, NW6.5.

There are 4 steps to adding a user to a group:

1. Add the user to the group's "Member" attribute
2. Add the user to the group's "Equivalent to Me" attribute
3. Add the group to the user's "Group Membership" attribute
4. Add the group to the User's "Security Equals" attribute.

For the group membership to work correctly in all situations, you need to
have all 4 links in place.

My grpadd program may be of help here. Assuming that the "Members" attribute
is set correctly for the correct groups and that the problem lies with the
user attributes not being set correctly, then a command such as

grpadd comp101 comp101

will add all members of group comp101 to group comp101 by reading the
"Members" attribute, and inserting any of the remaining 3 links which happen
to be missing.

For deleting the incorrect group values from the "Security Equals"
attribute, some more information is needed. Do the users still show as
members of the (incorrect) group when viewing the (incorrect) group
membership? If so then my grpdel program would remove the memberships, but
you would need to identify and separate out those users who correctly belong
to the group, and those that should not belong to the group. If the users do
not show under the group membership, I have a program which could delete
every occurence of the incorrect group in the "Security Equals" attribute of
all users, and then it could be reinstated for the members of the group by
adding the group membership to itself as above.

John

0
John
1/16/2006 10:10:04 PM
Any easy way to modify the resulting file?

"Peter Kuo" <Peter@Novell.Product.Support.Forums> wrote in message
> You'll likely better to do an LDAP search using your criteria, modify
> the resulting LDIF file and the import it back in ...
>

> --
>

> Peter
> eDirectory Rules!

0
John
1/17/2006 1:20:29 AM
Its a text file, so some search-and-replace?

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
John Baird wrote:

> There are 4 steps to adding a user to a group:

I /think/ this is only needed if you use NDAP and not LDAP ... could be
wrong as it has been a while ago since I did an LDIF update of member
info.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

Multiple Users Need Multiple Sessions?
I have an application that is on a central server.  There are many people that will be accessing the application daily.  It essentially is a product look up tool for sales reps and then they have the ability to create "shopping carts".  My problem is that I have set Session variable on the login screen, then on every other screen I have set on the page load to verify the session.  However, it works fine when one person logs into the application, but when another person logs in the session gets all mixed up.  I am guessing that the way I set up the application, it wil...

Multiple type of Users, with Multiple User login pages in one web application
Hello Friends, I have a situation in my website.I am using form authentication in my web application where I have two type of usersMerchants & Customers Merchants sign in from url/msignin/default.aspx and after sign in it redirects to secure folder /merchants/welcome.aspx and Customers sign in from/csignin/default.aspx and after sign in it redirects to secure folder /customers/welcome.aspx Now I am confused on the point that I only have one login url in my web.config file and only one default url. How can i make these two situations work on my same application. Please help. ...

Adding multiple users to multiple groups?
Hi, I'm working at a sixth form college in the UK and I need to add the students to department groups ... ie John Smith login name JSmith needs to added to Drama, IT, and French groups ... butJane Smith login name JSmith1 needs to be added to German and Art There is a UniqueID field set and trackable (Student ID code given at enrolment) In a ideal world I would have a script that read a csv with headers like those below UniqueID,group1,group2that worked its way down the list ....   however I am just getting started on scripting and am lost ... any help / pointers would be gre...

Suggestion: Multiple users/Multiple Masterpasswords!!
Name: Bryen Miller Email: bryenmatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Suggestion: Multiple users/Multiple Masterpasswords!! Comments: It would be great if in future updates of Firefox if you could incorporate into the password manager a way for multiple users of the same computer to use this feature. I absolutely love the master password feature, but there are times that my other family members use the same computer system, and it would be nice if they could use their own master password to store their individual login names and passwords for sites that we both use. Br...

Multiple users in multiple time zones
We do work for a group of consultants that work from various locations all over the country. They are wanting to start using a shared calender so they are able to keep track of what one another has going on. The problem is that when someone adds an appointment, it sends that to all the other users in the time zone it was sent from as opposed to adjusting the time zones for wherever they are located. i've been poking around the forums and have not yet come up with anything. Eric, I don't believe in shared calendars. Why don't they just grant proxy rights to their calenda...

Single page with multiple user web controls VS Multiple page with specific user web controls
I have a question regarding single page with multiple user web controls vs multiple page with specific user web controls   Option 1: I am of the opinion to have multiple pages with specific user web controls and use an object to store all the information as the user navigates through the application. And finally at the end, read this object and save all the information to the backend database.   Option 2: My respected team member suggests that we have only one page, with all the specific user web controls and not use an object, instead show/hide the user web controls based ...

Entity Action for multiple users
Hi, I have the need to do an attribute change on a number of users (selected via picklist); all users will receive the same value in a certain attribute. Since the entity action in entity dn only seems to allow user or group dns, but no arrays, I wonder what might be the best approach to solve this. Tia -- rbollig ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 07/31/2009 03:56 AM, rbollig wrote: > Hi, > I have the need to do an attribute change on a number of users > (selected via picklist); all users will receive the same value...

A Multitude of Multiples: Using Outlook Express with Multiple E-mail Addresses, Multiple Accounts, and Multiple Identities
A Multitude of Multiples: Using Outlook Express with Multiple E-mail Addresses, Multiple Accounts, and Multiple Identities http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/identity.mspx *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** More and more Internet users have more than one e-mail address, and many have many more. More and more families have not only more than one user, but also more than one computer. In the spirit of "less is more" I offer this simple guide to using Outlook Ex...

Best Practice
I have a Customer page that has the following areas defined and uses a user control (ascx) to handle each area.Detail Information - Simple display of customer field data and ability to edit the customer data.Contacts List - List of contacts for customer. Ability to add, remove, etc.Addresses List - List of addresses for customer. Ability to add, remove, etc.Notes List - List of notes/comments about customer. Ablility to add, remove, etc.I have it working well right now without Atlas/Ajax. I want to "ajaxify" each of the areas described above. My question is should I put my mul...

Creating multiple user logins assigned to multiple groups at one time
I have a single computer for our building which various building residents need to be able to log into with their own names. I have a listing of all the usernames (over 300 users) and passwords in a text file. I did some research and found that it should be possible to add them using a script, but there were so many changes whenever a possible script was posted that I had trouble following the message threads to get a coherent final script to use. So far, here is what I have found, and I hope this works in Suse 11.3: But it doesn't say anything about adding to more than one gr...

can i use forms authentication to support multiple users with multiple login pages
hi all my web application is having 3 users; admin, vendor and customer. i cannot implement the security using role based authorization as these there are not roles but three entities in my application. i have 3 directories under the web root named admin, vendor, and customer. ecah user have access to files inside only one directory that corresponds to their name. i have 3 login pages for the 3 users. i tried to put seperate web.config files on the three directories, with the web.config in the root directory setting forms authentication on. the problem is that i can't put t...

Netware rights showing same user multiple times in WE
Hi, Wonder if anyone has come across this before and if so how to fix. On one particular volume when looking at Netware rights at folder level in Windows Explorer, a user is listed 5 times. That wouldn't be so bad but this appears to be stopping adding additional users to this folder. I've also found that this user has multiple listings on other directories on this volume. I've checked C1 and he is only in there once. The additional user, strangely enough is in there too, but not appearing when getting the rights from Windows Explorer. This appears to be only hap...

Netware Rights shows same user multiple times
Sorry if this has been posted before, a cursory search didn't turn up much, so here we go. My organization has a rather large number of users with quite a web of trustee rights between different departments. Recently, after we updated to the 4.91 client, we've run into an issue with the Netware Rights tab of the File Properties dialog reached by right-clicking a file/directory in Explorer and selecting Properties. On shares that have a large number of trustees, the list of trustees in the Netware Rights tab is not updated when the list is scrolled. For example, if the first n...

NetWare 6.5 users consuming multiple licenses
Hi everybody, My client has two NW6.5 servers (clustered) as well as two NW5.0 servers in remote sites. I was looking into licensing yesterday and saw that several users were consuming multiple NW6.5 user licenses. In all but one case both user connections were associated with the same IP address. Any idea why users would be using multiple licenses or how to avoid this in future... I really don't want to have to purchase a bunch of extra licenses if I don't need to. Thanks, Ian No, I've never seen this. Are you sure? How are you determining this? What SP is installed?...

Web resources about - Multiple actions on multiple users at once - novell.edirectory.netware

Multiple sequence alignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A multiple sequence alignment (MSA) is a sequence alignment of three or more biological sequences , generally protein , DNA , or RNA . In many ...

Police officer Daniel Holtzclaw guilty of raping multiple women
For months, accusers, authorities and now an Oklahoma jury say, police officer Daniel Holtzclaw preyed on vulnerable women.

Facebook Tweaks Power Editor for Users With Multiple Ad Accounts
Facebook rolled out a new feature for its Power Editor that should greatly speed up the process for users with multiple advertising accounts. ...

Rockies trade rumors: Carlos Gonzalez could fit on multiple teams
The oft-injured slugger has two years left on his deal. There are three types of teams in the NL West. Subdividing five teams into three categories ...

Google Ventures reportedly closed its European fund after multiple stalled deals
Earlier this week, Google Ventures announced it was closing down its dedicated European fund . It had been assigned $125 million to invest, but ...

OKC Police Officer Found Guilty On Multiple Counts Of Raping Black Women
Former Oklahoma City Police officer Daniel Holtzclaw will be going to prison for a very, very long time. After deliberating for well over 45 ...

Big Pharma bro arrested by federal agents in overnight raid, faces multiple investigations
Big Pharma bro Martin Shkreli gained international notoriety when his company bought the rights to Daraprim—a drug used to treat parasitic infections, ...

Report: Robert Nkemdiche Fell From A 4th-Story Window And Suffered "Multiple Cuts"
Probable top-five NFL draft pick and Ole Miss star Robert Nkemdiche reportedly fell from the 4th floor of a building, and suffered “multiple ...

Insider allegedly hacked lottery software in multiple states
If you use insider knowledge for your own gain, it could land you in hot water... especially if you hacked the computers at your job to get the ...

A Trick Of Gravity Lets Us Observe An Exploding Star Multiple Times
General relativity warps space and time, and astronomers can use that fact to their advantage.