2x 'Incorrect login count', for each login attempt through LDAP

We are running eDirectory 8.7.3 on NetWare 6.5SP2, and use LDAP for
authentication between a number of applications (Apache, Tomcat, etc) and
eDir.

Whenever someone enters a wrong password, while trying to authenticate to
one of the LDAP dependant applications, the 'Incorrect login count'
increases by 2 instead of 1 though. So, instead of seeing 1->2->3->Account
Locked in C1, we are seeing 2->4->Account Locked. Needless to say, our
users are wondering why they only get 3 tries online, when they get 4
trying to log onto their workstations(and it isn't always consistent,
sometime they only get 2)!

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?
Here is a DSTRACE log I did during 1 login attempt (deliberate wrong
password):
42B8A822:389:8a907400:179 DoSearch on connection 0x9da12620
42B8A822:389:8a907400:179 Search request:
 base: "O=<my org>"  scope:2  dereference:3  sizelimit:0  timelimit:0
attrsonly:0
 filter: "(cn=<my name>)"  attribute: "1.1"
42B8A822:404:8a907400:179 Sending search result entry "cn=<my name>,ou=<my
unit>,o=<my org>" to connection 0x9da12620
42B8A822:404:8a907400:179 Sending operation result 0:"":"" to connection
0x9da12620
42B8A822:406:8a907400:179 DoBind on connection 0x9da12620
version:3, authentication:simple
42B8A825:516:8a907400:179 Failed to authenticate local on connection
0x9da12620, err = failed authentication (-669)
42B8A825:516:8a907400:179 Sending operation result 49:"":"NDS error:
failed authentication (-669)" to connection 0x9da12620

Thanks for any help,
Gabe
0
Gabe
6/22/2005 3:08:36 AM
novell.edirectory.netware 7858 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You might try edir8736.exe
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
6/22/2005 3:34:48 AM
Cheers Andrew!

with some further searching and testing, I have narrowed it down to an eDirectory problem on the particular server we are authenticating against.
We did not upgrade to eDir 8.7.3.6 (we are currently using 8.7.3.2) do to availability neccessity, but considering the fact that we have had this problem for >2 years now, it is not likely to help anyway.
What we did do though, is set up a 2nd server with the same OS and eDir versions, set up a new tree, and tested against that. With that there were no problems at all, which would seem to indicate that this is a server/tree specific problem, as opposed to an eDir version problem.

our sys admins will probably be contacting Novell support for further assistance.

thanks again for your help,
Gabe

0
Gabriel

Cannot open database requested in login 'sql'. Login fails. Login failed for user '\ASPNET'.
I am using the MSDE to connect to my ASP.NET application. I get this error after clicking the login button of my login page. Anyone know why this would happen? Thanks for any help, Cannot open database requested in login 'DataSQL'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'server\ASPNET'.Thank youJackxxx I thought i shold add that when this was on the development PC the database was named DataSQL. On the new PC it is DataSQL2, so I'm not sure why the error shows DataSQL. Thanks,Thank youJackxxx What are the contents of your connection string? Where is it stored? TerriTerri MortonE...

Cannot open database requested in login 'database'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'webuser'.
I am getting the following error from a previously working asp.net application Cannot open database requested in login 'fieldservice'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'webuser'. I checked the connection string dim myconn as sqlconnection=new sqlconnection("server=milkman;uid=webuser;pwd=xxx;database=fieldservice"), and it is the same as another application that is still working. I am able to use query anaylizer and connect to the db and run the query that is attempting with this information so I am lost. Anyone out there got any ideas? Thanks, Justin T...

Cannot open database requested in login 'dbName'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'machineName\ASPNET'
Been looking through the forums for a solution to this problem.I already tried granting access through statements such as:exec sp_grantloginaccess N1'machineName\ASPNET'But they don't seem to work.. i vaguely remember seeing somewhere a DOS command line statement that grants access to the ASPNET_WP and that fixed my problem before on another computer.. but this is a new computer and i forgot to write down the command.Can anyone help explain and propose a solution to my problem. Many thanxs. osql -E -S InstanceName -C -Q "sp_grantlogin 'computer\ASPNET'" osql -E -S InstanceName -d database ...

Cannot open database requested in login 'Portal'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'JAY\ASPNET'.
Guys, I've been beating my head with this. Please help. Let me see if I can explain. I'm running the IBuySpy Portal self install utility. It used to fail and say could not find SQL server, but after someone posted that you need to enable TCP/IP it has gotten further. Now, it will bring up a dos prompt and it looks like it tries to create the database. It errors our saying Could not add aspnet user to database: Cannot open database requested in login 'Portal'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'JAY\hawkswim32'. I looked at the output when it was installing the datab...

Error: Cannot open database requested in login 'projectAllocations'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'sa'.
Hi, Im getting this error when attempting to retrieve data from an sql database. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database requested in login 'projectAllocations'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'sa'. Source Error: Line 13: objConn = New SqlConnection( "Server=LAB303-066\NETSDK; Database=projectAllocations; User ID=sa;Password=mypas...

Cannot open database requested in login 'AstraTrain'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. "
Hi I just made some changes to my Website.... I configured my website to run under SQL server authentication....so i created an user under SQL server named it "sqltestapp".Then I was trying to connect to the database using this user account. So I made theconnection string as <add name="AstraTrainConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=ITAPPDEV;Initial Catalog=AstraTrain;User id=sqltestapp; password= sqltestapp;Integrated Security=false"providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />Now I am using  SQL authentication to connect to the ...

Cannot implicitly convert type 'Login' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login'
hello  i have got this error on this part of code :protected void Wizard1_NextButtonClick(object sender, System.Web.UI.WebControls.WizardNavigationEventArgs e) {if (e.CurrentStepIndex == 0) {System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login l = (Login)Wizard1.FindControl("Login1");if (Membership.ValidateUser(l.UserName, l.Password)) { FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(l.UserName, l.RememberMeSet);e.Cancel = false; } else {l.InstructionText = "Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again."; l.InstructionTextStyle.ForeColor = System.Drawing.Color.Red;e.Cancel = ...

Error: Cannot open database requested in login 'dbname'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'NTAUTHORTY\NETWORKSERVICE
HI all when I was trying to host a website I got the following error Cannot open database requested in login 'dbname'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'NTAUTHORTY\NETWORKSERVICE Previously I got an error Login failed for user 'NTAUTHORTY\NETWORKSERVICE so I ran sp_grantlogin 'NTAUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE' in query analyzer.When I wet through the page once again I encountred the error  Cannot open database requested in login 'dbname'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'NTAUTHORTY\NETWORKSERVICEpls help me!!!Thanks in advance.... Ravi Chilakamart...

@NUM_MEMBERS = EXEC ('USE ' +@X + '; SELECT COUNT(Member_Name) FROM Logins') -HOW?
DECLARE @X VARCHAR(10) DECLARE @NUM_MEMBERS SMALLINT SELECT @X = 'other_db' @NUM_MEMBERS = EXEC ('USE ' +@X + '; SELECT COUNT(Member_Name) FROM Logins') I get an error when I try to store the result in @NUM_MEMBERS. :/ I've been looking all over for the correct syntax. Can anyone help? ERROR: Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 6 Line 6: Incorrect syntax near '@NUM_MEMBERS'. thx n adv "Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live" -D. Thompson // f bush. ----------- "No man succeeds without a good woman behind ...

Parser Error Message: The base type 'Login' does not exist in the source file 'Login.ascx.vb'.
Can Someone help me please? I am still very new at .NET programming but after having some success with it I wanted to start building some re-usable components (using Web Matrix). I figure this will give somethig I can use afterwards while giving me the opportunity to hopefully learn some advanced programming methods. My first component is a login (web user) control, and I can get it to work without problem as long as I don't implement it using the code behind technique. Unfortunately I do want to use code behind. As such would someone be so kind as to look at the code below and let me ...

E2316 'LogIn' is not a member of 'IDispatch'
I am seeking the BCB equivalence of this (too old?) Delphi tutorial example which connects to ActiveX server: {code} //LogInControl1 is the ActiveX component placed on this form in design time. procedure TForm1.LogInControl1Click(Sender: TObject); var Conn : Variant; begin Conn := LogInControl1.NewConnect; Conn.Server := 'localhost'; Conn.User := 'someone'; Conn.Password := 'open'; if Conn.LogIn(0,true) = true then ShowMessage('Good') else ShowMessage('Bad'); end; end; {code} The (edited and trimmed) headers created from the...

'''''

'Workstation only' login after network login fails
I have setup 2 separate computers (W2Kpro + XPpro). Both computers have the 4.9sp2 client and ZFD4 installed. I have configured the client for LDAP contextless login, which works correctly. I then configured the client to: login "Workstation Only" after network login fails. However, the workstation will not attempt a local login. I have setup an local administrative account (xptest) on the machine. When I type in xptest LDAP returns an error (which I expect). After entering the password, I receive another error simply stating that "I could not be logged into...

Web resources about - 2x 'Incorrect login count', for each login attempt through LDAP - novell.edirectory.netware