XP or Win 7?

How many of you have upgraded to Win 7 from XP?

I decided it was time and bought me a 3 user home upgrade of Win7 since I
was reloading by good ole trusty Dell desktop, my notebook came with Vista
but downgraded to XP so I might put it on there.

Is it me but for work related stuff for those who HAVE to stay with a MS Win
workstation solution, I'm not seeing the reason to upgrade at work other
than the fact that MS is ending support for XP?

0
Michael
10/26/2010 3:32:52 PM
novell.community.chat 7635 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Support for XP is not being discontinued.
Only for SP2 not SP3.
SP3 Support is continuing for a while yet.

Win7 should be a little safer from Viruses overall than XP and should
work just fine.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0
craig
10/26/2010 3:46:14 PM
Agree but how many new workstation PC's are being shiped with XP?  :)

"craig wilson" <craig_d_wilson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Support for XP is not being discontinued.
> Only for SP2 not SP3.
> SP3 Support is continuing for a while yet.
>
> Win7 should be a little safer from Viruses overall than XP and should work
> just fine.
>

> On 10/26/2010 11:32 AM, Michael Rae wrote:
>> How many of you have upgraded to Win 7 from XP?
>>
>> I decided it was time and bought me a 3 user home upgrade of Win7 since I
>> was reloading by good ole trusty Dell desktop, my notebook came with
>> Vista
>> but downgraded to XP so I might put it on there.
>>
>> Is it me but for work related stuff for those who HAVE to stay with a MS
>> Win
>> workstation solution, I'm not seeing the reason to upgrade at work other
>> than the fact that MS is ending support for XP?
>>

> --
> Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
> Novell Knowledge Partner
>
> Novell does not officially monitor these forums.
>
> Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
> These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.

0
Michael
10/26/2010 5:02:28 PM
Does not really matter for companies that use imaging.
I can't recall the last time I used what actually shipped on a PC.

Even if it was the same Type of OS.

On 10/26/2010 1:02 PM, Michael Rae wrote:
> Agree but how many new workstation PC's are being shiped with XP?  :)
>
> "craig wilson"<craig_d_wilson@yahoo.com>  wrote in message
>> Support for XP is not being discontinued.
>> Only for SP2 not SP3.
>> SP3 Support is continuing for a while yet.
>>
>> Win7 should be a little safer from Viruses overall than XP and should work
>> just fine.
>>

>> On 10/26/2010 11:32 AM, Michael Rae wrote:
>>> How many of you have upgraded to Win 7 from XP?
>>>
>>> I decided it was time and bought me a 3 user home upgrade of Win7 since I
>>> was reloading by good ole trusty Dell desktop, my notebook came with
>>> Vista
>>> but downgraded to XP so I might put it on there.
>>>
>>> Is it me but for work related stuff for those who HAVE to stay with a MS
>>> Win
>>> workstation solution, I'm not seeing the reason to upgrade at work other
>>> than the fact that MS is ending support for XP?
>>>

>> --
>> Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
>> Novell Knowledge Partner
>>
>> Novell does not officially monitor these forums.
>>
>> Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
>> These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0
craig
10/26/2010 5:08:06 PM
I'd go for 7 if you can...stable and safer.  Plus, they were already talking
about 8 in a couple years, but in the context of "nobody will switch to
Windows 8 after they've switched to 7."

"Michael Rae" <wes@gocolumbiamodot.com> wrote in message
> How many of you have upgraded to Win 7 from XP?
>
> I decided it was time and bought me a 3 user home upgrade of Win7 since I
> was reloading by good ole trusty Dell desktop, my notebook came with Vista
> but downgraded to XP so I might put it on there.
>
> Is it me but for work related stuff for those who HAVE to stay with a MS
> Win workstation solution, I'm not seeing the reason to upgrade at work
> other than the fact that MS is ending support for XP?

0
Craig
10/26/2010 5:31:14 PM
I use Windows XP and 7.  7 has a lot of nice features and toys that I
like, but from an administrator point of view I still prefer XP.
However, my main desktop is a Mac and I prefer Linux over Windows. Just
to give some perspective.

--
http://www.thecrankyitguy.com
http://www.thecrankyitforum.com
Michael Rae wrote:

> Agree but how many new workstation PC's are being shiped with XP?  :)

Probably can still order business models "downgraded" to XP.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0

> Probably can still order business models "downgraded" to XP.

We were informed the pc's we bought in September were the last we'd be
able to buy w/ XP.

--
Stevo
0

"Stevo" <steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net> wrote in message
>I think I heard Joseph Marton say something like:
>
>> Probably can still order business models "downgraded" to XP.
>
> We were informed the pc's we bought in September were the last we'd be
> able to buy w/ XP.
>
> --
> Stevo

0
youngec
10/26/2010 7:52:10 PM
Stevo wrote:

> We were informed the pc's we bought in September were the last we'd be
> able to buy w/ XP.

Not surprising... the downgrade option was mainly a crutch to get
people through the mess of Vista, and then the early stages of Win7's
release.

Legally, though, I believe as an end-user you can still run XP on a
machine that came with Win7.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
10/26/2010 8:01:45 PM
Stevo;2038093 Wrote:
> I think I heard Joseph Marton say something like:
>
> > Probably can still order business models "downgraded" to XP.
>
> We were informed the pc's we bought in September were the last we'd be
> able to buy w/ XP.
>
> --
> Stevo

Yes, Dell stopped selling downgrade XP this month but they did offer us
downgrade XP preloaded if we signed a deal to at least buy X amount of
computers from them :) Volume license here we come because I think then
we are still allowed to downgrade to XP, right?

Thomas

--
http://thsundel.blogspot.com/
thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128

0
thsundel
10/26/2010 8:06:02 PM
I've had several pieces of hardward come in with no XP drivers and all
my skills and magic powers couldn't make it work. We're still running XP
in most our enviroment this year but over the summer we'll migrate
everything to Windows 7. I think it's time.

--
jfmoots
jfmoots's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1103
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
jfmoots
10/27/2010 1:06:01 AM
Michael Rae,
> How many of you have upgraded to Win 7 from XP?

I have dual boot on my laptop. The new classroom machines are dual-boot
also.

I think that most of my clients are like the girl that said she had
checked out the comparison Xp/Vista/Win7 on the MS site, she said
"Sure, Win 7 has a lot of new features, none of which are in any way
helpful in my job"

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish;
and you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how
hungry he is.

0
Anders
10/27/2010 7:17:54 AM
Michael Rae,
> Agree but how many new workstation PC's are being shiped with XP?  :)

I installed a bunch for a client just 4 weeks ago... HP PCs with Xp

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish;
and you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how
hungry he is.

0
Anders
10/27/2010 7:17:55 AM
I think I heard thsundel say something like:

> Yes, Dell stopped selling downgrade XP this month but they did offer
> us downgrade XP preloaded if we signed a deal to at least buy X
> amount of computers from them :) Volume license here we come because
> I think then we are still allowed to downgrade to XP, right?

I'm not sure on that.  I think that all depends on when you bought your
volume license.

--
Stevo
0

It's not a matter of MS Licensing as a volume license holder but in the
newest PC's we aren't seeing much of a choice.  The biggest issue has been
video were the PC's were ordered for duel head monitors and no XP drivers
which leaves us to buy older used video adapters and pull the new one
out....

Michael Rae wrote:

> That's what I'm starting to see, new hardware and no XP driver support.

That's a fairy tale I'm hearing since day one of the release of Vista,
but I have yet to see or have anybody name a single piece of hardware in
the market without existing XP drivers.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> How many of you have upgraded to Win 7 from XP?

Win7 in the office now, XP still at home.
7 takes up too much memory for gaming which
is what I mostly use Windows for at home.
0
GofBorg
10/27/2010 8:42:02 PM
mrosen;2038583 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michael Rae wrote:
> >
> > That's what I'm starting to see, new hardware and no XP driver
> support.
>
> That's a fairy tale I'm hearing since day one of the release of Vista,
> but I have yet to see or have anybody name a single piece of hardware
> in
> the market without existing XP drivers.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> 'Untitled Document' (http://www.cfc-it.de)

Agree, and for example Dell have promised XP drivers support for old
and new hardware until the end of 2012 I believe.

Thomas

--
http://thsundel.blogspot.com/
thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
thsundel
10/28/2010 7:36:02 AM
Hi.

>Legally, though, I believe as an end-user you can still run XP on a
>machine that came with Win7.

I think that's fact *ONLY* when you purchased the box prior this magic "last friday"
? At least Dell /HP /... aren't allowed any more to sell downgraded XP boxes afaik.

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
10/28/2010 9:45:48 AM
thsundel wrote:

> Agree, and for example Dell have promised XP drivers support for old
> and new hardware until the end of 2012 I believe.

Makes sense... no one will have to worry about supporting anything
after the end of 2012.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
10/28/2010 12:24:31 PM
Rudolf Thilo wrote:

> I think that's fact ONLY when you purchased the box prior this magic
> "last friday" ? At least Dell /HP /... aren't allowed any more to
> sell downgraded XP boxes afaik.

Last I heard, the "pre-downgrade" option is completely separate from
being allowed to install N-2 versions of Windows on those PCs that come
with a Win7 license.  Could always be different now, though.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
10/28/2010 12:25:24 PM
On 10/27/2010 3:26 PM, Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michael Rae wrote:
>>
>> That's what I'm starting to see, new hardware and no XP driver support.
>
> That's a fairy tale I'm hearing since day one of the release of Vista,
> but I have yet to see or have anybody name a single piece of hardware in
> the market without existing XP drivers.
>
> CU,

I'll send you one.. Piece of crap gateway quad core system that was
brought into me to see if I could downgrade it from Vista.  You can't
load XP on it, won't work.  It'll reboot during the install every time
no matter what media or drivers you use..

0
Patrick
10/28/2010 12:50:52 PM

> I'll send you one.. Piece of crap gateway quad core system that was
> brought into me to see if I could downgrade it from Vista.  You can't
> load XP on it, won't work.  It'll reboot during the install every time
> no matter what media or drivers you use..

Interesting -- I've not had problems with a plethora of AMD Quad core
systems and XP (or Win 7 for that matter).

--
Barry Schnur
0

thsundel wrote:

> Agree, and for example Dell have promised XP drivers support for old
> and new hardware until the end of 2012 I believe.

Which is nice, but irrelevant, as Dell doesn't manufacture AHrdware, nor
write drivers for anything. ;)

They use Intel or AMD boards, Nvidia, Ati or Intel Graphics cards,
Broadcom, Intel or Marvel nics and so on. All of these *of course*
supply XP drivers for all their hardware, ad will most certainly
continue to do so for many years to come.

CU,
--

Patrick Farrell wrote:

> I'll send you one.. Piece of crap gateway quad core system that was
> brought into me to see if I could downgrade it from Vista.  You can't
> load XP on it, won't work.

What's my price when I manage to instal XP on it? ;)

> It'll reboot during the install every time
> no matter what media or drivers you use..

There are only two potential possibilities here: Disk Controller in AHCI
mode (see n-lite for instance how to inject the drivers into the base
install media), or possibly a misconfigured EFI only bios. This will
most likely be the first reason why XP won't work on any given hardware,
when MB vendors start to deliver boards with EFI BIOS only, without the
compatibility layer. Like the first Intel macintoshs (until Apple added
it) to allow XP installs.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0
Massimo
10/30/2010 11:31:08 AM
mrosen;2038583 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michael Rae wrote:
> >
> > That's what I'm starting to see, new hardware and no XP driver
> support.
>
> That's a fairy tale I'm hearing since day one of the release of Vista,
> but I have yet to see or have anybody name a single piece of hardware
> in
> the market without existing XP drivers.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> 'Untitled Document' (http://www.cfc-it.de)

Either I'm extremely lucky, or I get my hands on more equipment than
you do. I've had 3 different laptops that we were unable to get XP
drivers for. Confirmed with the manufacturer, one of which was Dell.
There were parts we could make work by doing things that comprimised the
overall functionality of the unit, but I'm not sure I agree with the
logic there. XP is pretty old. I think it's time to move on.

At some point clutching on to an 8 year old OS becomes
counterproductive...

--
jfmoots
jfmoots's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1103
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
jfmoots
10/30/2010 1:06:01 PM
On 10/30/2010 12:24 AM, Barry Schnur wrote:

>> I'll send you one.. Piece of crap gateway quad core system that was
>> brought into me to see if I could downgrade it from Vista.  You can't
>> load XP on it, won't work.  It'll reboot during the install every time
>> no matter what media or drivers you use..
>>
> Interesting -- I've not had problems with a plethora of AMD Quad core
> systems and XP (or Win 7 for that matter).

This is the one and ONLY system I've found with this issue, and googling
the model number reveals the same experience by others that have tried.
  Gateway doesn't offer drivers for it either.

0
Patrick
10/30/2010 8:05:56 PM
On 10/30/2010 6:31 AM, Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Patrick Farrell wrote:
>>
>> I'll send you one.. Piece of crap gateway quad core system that was
>> brought into me to see if I could downgrade it from Vista.  You can't
>> load XP on it, won't work.
>
> What's my price when I manage to instal XP on it? ;)

If you come pick it up, you get to keep it :)

0
Patrick
10/30/2010 8:06:28 PM
Done our office from XP to 7 with no major issues
In the process of upgrading a client to win7 on around 800 machines -
no big headaches at all
Zenworks and ENGL have made this really foolproof for everyone

'It's only Windows 7' :P

--
gleach1
gleach1's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=934
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
gleach1
11/1/2010 1:06:01 AM
gleach1 wrote:

> Zenworks and ENGL have made this really foolproof for everyone

Not true... I've seen all sorts of issues with ZCM & Win7 here.

--

jfmoots wrote:

> Either I'm extremely lucky, or I get my hands on more equipment than
> you do.

Or you look at the wrong place.

> I've had 3 different laptops that we were unable to get XP
> drivers for. Confirmed with the manufacturer, one of which was Dell.

See, there we go again. Dell doesn't really manufacture hardware, nor do
they write drivers. Not a single line of code of any software driver on
a Dell machine comes from Dell. They come from Intel, Ati, Nvidia, you
name them.

> There were parts we could make work by doing things that comprimised the
> overall functionality of the unit, but I'm not sure I agree with the
> logic there. XP is pretty old. I think it's time to move on.

I didn't argue that. I just argue the improper argument, that there
would be any whatsoever problem with XP driver availability. In fact, I
still find way more (even new) Hardware in the market without Win7
drivers than XP drivers. Just last week unpacked a brandnew 802.11n USB
stick (by TP-Link), that doesn't have native Win7 drivers. The Vista
drivers work..

> At some point clutching on to an 8 year old OS becomes
> counterproductive...

XP is over 9 years old.. ;) However, that's not a reason for anything.
Due to it's extremely modular design, it would be absolutely no problem
to continue to support new Hardware for it for another 10 years. There's
really not that much fundamentally new in Win7.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0
Massimo
11/1/2010 12:13:18 PM
Joseph,

did you use ENGL software to help with the imaging?

--

Shaun Pond

0
Shaun
11/1/2010 12:43:31 PM
Shaun Pond wrote:

> did you use ENGL software to help with the imaging?

Haven't even made it to the imaging part yet. :-)

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
11/1/2010 1:03:49 PM
Joseph,

so how can you determine that it's not foolproof? ;)

--

Shaun Pond

0
Shaun
11/1/2010 1:33:02 PM
Shaun Pond wrote:

> so how can you determine that it's not foolproof? ;)

Because the ZCM part is preventing it from being foolproof. :-)

Or are you saying that I'm a.... ?!

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
11/1/2010 1:33:56 PM
Joseph,

bigger fool? Heaven forfend...

--

Shaun Pond

0
Shaun
11/1/2010 1:35:19 PM
Massimo Rosen,
> XP is over 9 years old.. ;) However, that's not a reason for anything.
> Due to it's extremely modular design, it would be absolutely no problem
> to continue to support new Hardware for it for another 10 years. There's
> really not that much fundamentally new in Win7.

Problem is that Xp is probably the best OS MS has ever produced. Granted,
it took a few years for it to mature, but to be honest, Win7 brings very
little benefit to real-world users and few, if any would buy it if it was
not forced upon them.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and
you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry he
is.

0
Anders
11/1/2010 2:14:46 PM
On 11/1/2010 9:14 AM, Anders Gustafsson wrote:
> Massimo Rosen,
>> XP is over 9 years old.. ;) However, that's not a reason for anything.
>> Due to it's extremely modular design, it would be absolutely no problem
>> to continue to support new Hardware for it for another 10 years. There's
>> really not that much fundamentally new in Win7.
>
> Problem is that Xp is probably the best OS MS has ever produced. Granted,
> it took a few years for it to mature, but to be honest, Win7 brings very
> little benefit to real-world users and few, if any would buy it if it was
> not forced upon them.

64 bit is the main reason I run it.  It gives me more ram to distribute
to my vmware workstation sessions.  I see no point in running 32 bit
Windows 7.

0
Patrick
11/1/2010 2:48:11 PM
On 11/1/2010 6:57 AM, Joseph Marton wrote:
> gleach1 wrote:
>
>> Zenworks and ENGL have made this really foolproof for everyone
>
> Not true... I've seen all sorts of issues with ZCM&  Win7 here.

Even if that works flawlessly, you still have to deal with Client32
being borked.

0
Patrick
11/1/2010 2:49:03 PM
Patrick,

Patrick Farrell wrote:

> 64 bit is the main reason I run it.

Well, that's one, eventhough XP-64 exists, but never gained any
reasonable market share.

> It gives me more ram to distribute
> to my vmware workstation sessions.  I see no point in running 32 bit
> Windows 7.

Depends. I do. For instance, I run 32-bit Win7 on my HTPC. Absolutely no
reason to run 64-bit on it (it never needs more than 1,5GB memory,
although it has 4), except that drivers (especially for my SAT card) are
less stable.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0
Massimo
11/1/2010 6:40:32 PM
Patrick Farrell,
> 64 bit is the main reason I run it.  It gives me more ram to distribute
> to my vmware workstation sessions.

64 bit OpenSuse is cheaper :)

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and
you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry he
is.

0
Anders
11/1/2010 7:08:50 PM
mrosen;2039867 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> jfmoots wrote:
> >
> > Either I'm extremely lucky, or I get my hands on more equipment than
> > you do.
>
> Or you look at the wrong place.
>
> > I've had 3 different laptops that we were unable to get XP
> > drivers for. Confirmed with the manufacturer, one of which was Dell.
>
> See, there we go again. Dell doesn't really manufacture hardware, nor
> do
> they write drivers. Not a single line of code of any software driver
> on
> a Dell machine comes from Dell. They come from Intel, Ati, Nvidia, you
> name them.
>
> > There were parts we could make work by doing things that comprimised
> the
> > overall functionality of the unit, but I'm not sure I agree with the
> > logic there. XP is pretty old. I think it's time to move on.
>
> I didn't argue that. I just argue the improper argument, that there
> would be any whatsoever problem with XP driver availability. In fact,
> still find way more (even new) Hardware in the market without Win7
> drivers than XP drivers. Just last week unpacked a brandnew 802.11n
> USB
> stick (by TP-Link), that doesn't have native Win7 drivers. The Vista
> drivers work..
>
> > At some point clutching on to an 8 year old OS becomes
> > counterproductive...
>
> XP is over 9 years old.. ;) However, that's not a reason for anything.
> Due to it's extremely modular design, it would be absolutely no
> problem
> to continue to support new Hardware for it for another 10 years.
> There's
> really not that much fundamentally new in Win7.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> 'Untitled Document' (http://www.cfc-it.de)

So let me get this straight... You're proudly supporting a 9 year old
OS with knowingly comprimised drivers because there's nothing
fundamentally new in Win7? :rolleyes:

Windows 7 brings no changes to the OS just as Windows XP brought none
to Windows 98. Give me a break...

--
jfmoots
jfmoots's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1103
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
jfmoots
11/1/2010 8:36:02 PM
Jfmoots,
> Windows 7 brings no changes to the OS just as Windows XP brought none
> to Windows 98. Give me a break..

Did Massimo say that? You must be aware that Windows 2000 was
fundamentally different from 9x. The difference between Xp and Win7 is
a lot smaller and not all those changes (like DRM) actually benefit the
user.

At the end of the day, it is about getting your work done and there is
vefry little in Win7 that makes a secratary or accountant more
productive, especially if you take into account the lost productivity
having to retrain.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish;
and you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how
hungry he is.

0
Anders
11/1/2010 8:42:45 PM
On 11/1/2010 1:40 PM, Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Patrick Farrell wrote:
>>
>> 64 bit is the main reason I run it.
>
> Well, that's one, eventhough XP-64 exists, but never gained any
> reasonable market share.
>
>> It gives me more ram to distribute
>> to my vmware workstation sessions.  I see no point in running 32 bit
>> Windows 7.
>
> Depends. I do. For instance, I run 32-bit Win7 on my HTPC. Absolutely no
> reason to run 64-bit on it (it never needs more than 1,5GB memory,
> although it has 4), except that drivers (especially for my SAT card) are
> less stable.
>
> CU,

I agree, if you have less than 4GB of ram, there's no point in the 64
bit version.  What I meant was, if I was going to go to windows 7 as an
upgrade, my good reason to do so was for 64 bit.  I see no reason to
upgrade a windows xp machine to a windows 7 machine right now.  It will
be forced at some point, but I see no reason before that to do so.

I should add, for gaming, higher levels of Direct X above DX 9 are also
a bonus for Windows 7.

0
Patrick
11/1/2010 9:15:41 PM
On 11/1/2010 2:08 PM, Anders Gustafsson wrote:
> Patrick Farrell,
>> 64 bit is the main reason I run it.  It gives me more ram to distribute
>> to my vmware workstation sessions.
>>
> 64 bit OpenSuse is cheaper :)

It is, but most of my stuff won't run on it, and it would crimp my home
gaming severely.

0
Patrick
11/1/2010 9:16:15 PM
On 11/1/2010 3:42 PM, Anders Gustafsson wrote:
> Jfmoots,
>> Windows 7 brings no changes to the OS just as Windows XP brought none
>> to Windows 98. Give me a break..
>>
> Did Massimo say that? You must be aware that Windows 2000 was
> fundamentally different from 9x. The difference between Xp and Win7 is
> a lot smaller and not all those changes (like DRM) actually benefit the
> user.
>
> At the end of the day, it is about getting your work done and there is
> vefry little in Win7 that makes a secratary or accountant more
> productive, especially if you take into account the lost productivity
> having to retrain.

I've been running windows 7 on my work and home pc for quite a while,
and I feel less productive than I did with Windows XP to be honest.

0
Patrick
11/1/2010 9:17:21 PM
Patrick,

Patrick Farrell wrote:
> I agree, if you have less than 4GB of ram, there's no point in the 64
> bit version.  What I meant was, if I was going to go to windows 7 as an
> upgrade, my good reason to do so was for 64 bit.  I see no reason to
> upgrade a windows xp machine to a windows 7 machine right now.

I did on my HTPC. The whole Multimedia Subsystem of Win7 is extremely
enhanced over XP. But for regular Office works? Nope.

> I should add, for gaming, higher levels of Direct X above DX 9 are also
> a bonus for Windows 7.

Yep.

CU,
--

jfmoots wrote:

> Windows 7 brings no changes to the OS just as Windows XP brought none
> to Windows 98. Give me a break...

<grin>. That display a lack of fundamental understanding that makes it
completely useless to continue here.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0
Massimo
11/1/2010 11:36:22 PM
Patrick,

lucky you to have the time... :)

--

Shaun Pond

0
Shaun
11/2/2010 4:40:17 AM
Shaun Pond,
> lucky you to have the time... :)

I was thinking the same. I have not played anything since "The Cave" on
CP/M...

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish;
and you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how
hungry he is.

0
Anders
11/2/2010 7:47:27 AM
Patrick Farrell,
> I've been running windows 7 on my work and home pc for quite a while,
> and I feel less productive than I did with Windows XP to be honest.

I had a customer explain how she had consulted this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/versions.aspx

And based on that said she found zero benefit. There is tons of benefit
for home/hobby users and almost none for business use.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and
you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry he
is.

0
Anders
11/2/2010 7:47:28 AM
mrosen;2040139 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> jfmoots wrote:
> >
> > Windows 7 brings no changes to the OS just as Windows XP brought
> none
> > to Windows 98. Give me a break...
>
> <grin>. That display a lack of fundamental understanding that makes it
> completely useless to continue here.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> 'Untitled Document' (http://www.cfc-it.de)

I've often found this response to mean you're incable of continuing the
conversation.

Group Policy changes alone make Vista/7 worth the upgrade. Offline file
enhancements. Folder Redirection finally works well.

Please, explain to me how Windows 7 fundamentally brings nothing new to
the OS. I need good laugh this morning.

--
jfmoots
jfmoots's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1103
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
jfmoots

Massimo Wrote:
> There's really not that much fundamentally new in Win7.

Yeah, he said that.

I would agree that there's nothing "fundamentally" new in 7 over Vista.
But to make that statment regarding XP to 7 shows a lack of understand
as to how the OS is fundamentally different. Either that or a lack of
understanding of what the word "fundamental" means.

--

On 11/2/2010 8:36 AM, jfmoots wrote:

> AndersG;2040093 Wrote:
>> Did Massimo say that?
>
> Massimo Wrote:
>> There's really not that much fundamentally new in Win7.
>
> Yeah, he said that.
>
> I would agree that there's nothing "fundamentally" new in 7 over Vista.
> But to make that statment regarding XP to 7 shows a lack of understand
> as to how the OS is fundamentally different. Either that or a lack of
> understanding of what the word "fundamental" means.

Sometimes it is good when "standard" words have different meaning. For
example if you call our cable company and say "I want basic service"
they will set you up with a 70 channel package. If you protest and say
"this is for an elderly relative who only wants basic channels" they
will tell you you should have asked for "broadcast local" which is
simply a subset of basic...
0
George
11/2/2010 1:32:35 PM
> Sometimes it is good when "standard" words have different meaning. For
> example if you call our cable company and say "I want basic service"
> they will set you up with a 70 channel package. If you protest and say
> "this is for an elderly relative who only wants basic channels" they
> will tell you...

Oh, that is out 400 Channel Package complete with a High School Kid who
will work the remote to locate all Lawrence Welk Marathons.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0
craig
11/2/2010 1:51:25 PM
Craig,

I'd prefer Whelk marathons... now *there's* a sport

--

Shaun Pond

0
Shaun
11/2/2010 2:17:55 PM
Shaun Pond wrote:

> I'd prefer Whelk marathons... now there's a sport

Is that like a Welsh marathon?

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
11/2/2010 2:29:22 PM
Joseph,

the Welsh don't like being stuck with a pin

--

Shaun Pond

0
Shaun
11/2/2010 2:38:27 PM
* jfmoots (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:36:01 GMT)
> mrosen;2040139 Wrote:
> > jfmoots wrote:
> > > Windows 7 brings no changes to the OS just as Windows XP brought
> > > none to Windows 98. Give me a break...
[...]
> Group Policy changes alone make Vista/7 worth the upgrade. Offline
> file enhancements. Folder Redirection finally works well.
>
> Please, explain to me how Windows 7 fundamentally brings nothing new
> to the OS. I need good laugh this morning.

The things you pointed out would actually prove Massimo's point of view
since an enhanced existing technology (Offline Files) is by definition
not "fundamentally new".

Same goes Folder Redirection that "now works well". A technology that
"works better now" is also by definition not "fundamentally new".

Thorsten
0
Thorsten
11/2/2010 2:42:57 PM
Jfmoots,
> But to make that statment regarding XP to 7 shows a lack of understand
> as to how the OS is fundamentally different

But the comparison with Win98 was yours, right? Win2000 was
fundamentally different from 9x. The core was completely different.

The changes from 9x to NT/2000 were much more fundamental than the
changes from Xp to Win7/Vista. Ie from a technological standpoint.

From a user perspective, Vista/Win7 is fundamentally different in that
it looks different, whether this is good of bad is debatable. From the
perspective of a secretary or accountant there not that much benefit,
really.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and
you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry he
is.

0
Anders
11/2/2010 2:50:13 PM
hmmmmm  Welsh   and bet in the same post?

Oh... I'm mistaken again

--
Sewermonger
Sewermonger's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=63
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
Sewermonger
11/2/2010 3:06:01 PM
On 11/1/2010 6:16 PM, Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Patrick Farrell wrote:
>> I agree, if you have less than 4GB of ram, there's no point in the 64
>> bit version.  What I meant was, if I was going to go to windows 7 as an
>> upgrade, my good reason to do so was for 64 bit.  I see no reason to
>> upgrade a windows xp machine to a windows 7 machine right now.
>
> I did on my HTPC. The whole Multimedia Subsystem of Win7 is extremely
> enhanced over XP. But for regular Office works? Nope.

Interesting.  I have a friend that installed it on their netbook and
they say it runs faster than XP as well.

0
Patrick
11/2/2010 3:32:30 PM
On 11/1/2010 11:40 PM, Shaun Pond wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> lucky you to have the time... :)

Ya, usually between 10pm and 1am...

0
Patrick
11/2/2010 3:32:59 PM
Thorsten Kampe;2040328 Wrote:
> * jfmoots (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:36:01 GMT)
> > mrosen;2040139 Wrote:
> [...]
> > Group Policy changes alone make Vista/7 worth the upgrade. Offline
> > file enhancements. Folder Redirection finally works well.
> >
> > Please, explain to me how Windows 7 fundamentally brings nothing new
> > to the OS. I need good laugh this morning.
>
> The things you pointed out would actually prove Massimo's point of
> view
> since an enhanced existing technology (Offline Files) is by definition
> not "fundamentally new".
>
> Same goes Folder Redirection that "now works well". A technology that
> "works better now" is also by definition not "fundamentally new".
>
> Thorsten

Group Policy is "fundamentally" different.

Offline files is "fundamentally" different.

But here's more...

Imaging Vista/7 is "fundamentally" a different process because the
architecture of the OS is "fundamentally" different. Change the HAL out
from under XP and Blue Screen. Not an issue with Vista/7.

I suppose if you simple use it, and don't manage it, you might think
Windows 7 is just a glitzy looking Windows XP. It's a very different OS
under the covers.

--
jfmoots
jfmoots's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1103
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
jfmoots
11/2/2010 3:36:01 PM
AndersG;2040329 Wrote:
> Jfmoots,
> > But to make that statment regarding XP to 7 shows a lack of
> understand
> > as to how the OS is fundamentally different
>
> But the comparison with Win98 was yours, right? Win2000 was
> fundamentally different from 9x. The core was completely different.
>
> The changes from 9x to NT/2000 were much more fundamental than the
> changes from Xp to Win7/Vista. Ie from a technological standpoint.
>
> From a user perspective, Vista/Win7 is fundamentally different in that
> it looks different, whether this is good of bad is debatable. From the
> perspective of a secretary or accountant there not that much benefit,
> really.
>
> - Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish;
> and
> you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry
> he
> is.

No, that's not my opinion at all. That's your opinion of my opinion.

My point of view is from a managment of the OS standpoint. There are
"fundamental" differences in how you can manage/deploy Vista/7 over XP.
HUGE improvments and some major fundamental changes.

If you're limiting your view to that of a secretary, then I suppose you
views are valid. I didn't know you guys were secretaries nor was I aware
we had limited to the discussion to a secretaries point of view.

--
jfmoots
jfmoots's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1103
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
jfmoots
11/2/2010 3:36:01 PM
0
ab
11/2/2010 3:40:35 PM
Thorsten,

Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> The things you pointed out would actually prove Massimo's point of view
> since an enhanced existing technology (Offline Files) is by definition
> not "fundamentally new".
>
> Same goes Folder Redirection that "now works well". A technology that
> "works better now" is also by definition not "fundamentally new".

And in fact these examples are all *Applications* delivered with the OS.
Microsoft could as well enhanced them on XP without any problem
whatsoever. "Fundamental" in a nOS of course means the kernel and the
inner workings of it, not cosmetic things like a different GUI and some
new or enhanced apps. And the core design of the OS is *fundamentally*
unchanged since Windows 2000. Enhancements here and there, yes. But
nothing completely new, like the originally planned but never realized
completely new filesystem.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0
Massimo
11/2/2010 3:43:51 PM
The addition of the WDDM driver is a fundamental difference between
Vista/7 and XP.

How about the boot loader?

User account control?

Have you explored what they've done to the user profile directories?
Different macros available for more granular distribution of what should
be local and what should be remote.

Security. Security. Security.

Replumb of Windows Update. It's no longer a piece of crap.

Bitlocker?!

Windows Recovery Enviroment?

--
jfmoots
jfmoots's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1103
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
jfmoots
11/2/2010 4:06:47 PM
* jfmoots (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:36:01 GMT)
> I suppose if you simple use it, and don't manage it, you might think
> Windows 7 is just a glitzy looking Windows XP. It's a very different
> OS under the covers.

There is actually one fundamental change that affects every user from
the secretary or accountant to the humble tech support guy: UAC. I just
don't understand why everyone disables it instantaneously *cough*
*cough*.

Thorsten
0
Thorsten
11/2/2010 4:12:42 PM
ab@novell.com wrote:

> Per which benchmark?  A lot of things in win seven were changed to
> feel faster (or so I've read) but are they?  Nine years and a
> several-times-larger install just for the base stuff and it's
> supposed to be faster?  The repressed mathematician inside me raises
> his eyebrow.

This is very unscientific, but having run both XP & Win7 on the same
machine, as well as seen Vista on other machines, I'd say Win7
hands-down is faster than Vista whereas is pretty much on par with XP.
I doubt it's any faster than XP.  Of course, with crappy hardware, you
can definitely make it slower than XP.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
11/2/2010 4:13:58 PM
jfmoots wrote:

> If you're limiting your view to that of a secretary, then I suppose
> you views are valid. I didn't know you guys were secretaries nor was
> I aware we had limited to the discussion to a secretaries point of
> view.

Excuse me!  That's administrative assistant, mister!

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
11/2/2010 4:15:23 PM
On 11/2/2010 9:51 AM, craig wilson wrote:
>> Sometimes it is good when "standard" words have different meaning. For
>> example if you call our cable company and say "I want basic service"
>> they will set you up with a 70 channel package. If you protest and say
>> "this is for an elderly relative who only wants basic channels" they
>> will tell you...
>
> Oh, that is out 400 Channel Package complete with a High School Kid who
> will work the remote to locate all Lawrence Welk Marathons.

Thats easy in this market, they could just put the TV on one channel.
Friend works for the local PBS and he says their biggest show is
Lawrence Welk.
0
George
11/2/2010 4:22:30 PM
* Joseph Marton (Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:13:58 GMT)
> ab@novell.com wrote:
> > Per which benchmark? A lot of things in win seven were changed to
> > feel faster (or so I've read) but are they? Nine years and a
> > several-times-larger install just for the base stuff and it's
> > supposed to be faster? The repressed mathematician inside me raises
> > his eyebrow.
>
> This is very unscientific, but having run both XP & Win7 on the same
> machine, as well as seen Vista on other machines, I'd say Win7
> hands-down is faster than Vista whereas is pretty much on par with XP.
> I doubt it's any faster than XP. Of course, with crappy hardware, you
> can definitely make it slower than XP.

I always wondered what people mean by "OS X runs faster than OS Y"...

Does it /boot/ faster (not that anyone would care nowadays - I only (re)
boot when an update requires it).

Do the applications run faster? Mine certainly don't.

Oh, yeah, the installation of Windows 7 is stream-lined and "feels" much
faster.

Thorsten
0
Thorsten
11/2/2010 4:33:19 PM
Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> Does it boot faster (not that anyone would care nowadays - I only (re)
> boot when an update requires it).

I never pay attention to boot times... I'm usually not in the room.

> Do the applications run faster? Mine certainly don't.

Launching apps, navigating the OS (e.g. opening explorer windows), etc.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
11/2/2010 4:34:50 PM
Joseph Marton,
> I never pay attention to boot times... I'm usually not in the room.

Depends on how often you need to reboot :)

Overall, I find Win7 faster at booting, but slower to do stuff (on he
same HW)

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish;
and you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how
hungry he is.

0
Anders
11/2/2010 4:47:39 PM
Jfmoots,
> If you're limiting your view to that of a secretary, then I suppose you
> views are valid. I didn't know you guys were secretaries nor was I aware
> we had limited to the discussion to a secretaries point of view.

Well, I see PCs as my customers see them. Tools to get the work done. That
work is often done with non-ms apps.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and
you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry he
is.

0
Anders
11/2/2010 4:47:40 PM
On 02/11/2010 15:40, ab@novell.com wrote:

> Per which benchmark?  A lot of things in win seven were changed to feel
> faster (or so I've read) but are they?  Nine years and a
> several-times-larger install just for the base stuff and it's supposed to
> be faster?  The repressed mathematician inside me raises his eyebrow.

Its a horrible, horrible memory hog, and will typically want a bigger
share of the resources (cpu, mostly) than xp did, but it seems to make
up for it with anything that uses the windows gui - so stuff "feels"
snappier. Stuff that doesn't give too much of a damn about what windows
wants to do (so vmware workstation is the best example) is slower than
xp, but nowhere near as bad as the vista abomination.
0
Dave
11/2/2010 4:50:12 PM
Dave Howe wrote:

> Its a horrible, horrible memory hog, and will typically want a bigger
> share of the resources (cpu, mostly) than xp did,

Hmm... first Win7 machine I had was a P4 with 1.5G RAM, I actually
dual-booted XP & Win7.  I found Win7 only marginal slower and usually
any slow response was something Aero-related.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?
0
Joseph
11/2/2010 5:32:05 PM
Dave Howe;2040432 Wrote:
> On 02/11/2010 15:40, ab@novell.com wrote:
> >
> > Per which benchmark?  A lot of things in win seven were changed to
> feel
> > faster (or so I've read) but are they?  Nine years and a
> > several-times-larger install just for the base stuff and it's
> supposed to
> > be faster?  The repressed mathematician inside me raises his
> eyebrow.
>
> Its a horrible, horrible memory hog, and will typically want a bigger
> share of the resources (cpu, mostly) than xp did, but it seems to make
> up for it with anything that uses the windows gui - so stuff "feels"
> snappier. Stuff that doesn't give too much of a damn about what
> windows
> wants to do (so vmware workstation is the best example) is slower than
> xp, but nowhere near as bad as the vista abomination.

Don't confuse memory hogging with caching. That's a feature, not a
flaw. The caching done in 7/2008 has thrown a curve ball at hypervisors
because if the memory is there, the OS will use it.

Hands down... Vista sucked. It's the ME of the current generation
Windows OS.

--
jfmoots
jfmoots's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1103
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
jfmoots
11/2/2010 5:36:01 PM
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:50:12 GMT
Dave Howe <DaveHowe@ans.no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> On 02/11/2010 15:40, ab@novell.com wrote:
> >
> > Per which benchmark?  A lot of things in win seven were changed to
> > feel faster (or so I've read) but are they?  Nine years and a
> > several-times-larger install just for the base stuff and it's
> > supposed to be faster?  The repressed mathematician inside me
> > raises his eyebrow.
>
> Its a horrible, horrible memory hog, and will typically want a bigger
> share of the resources (cpu, mostly) than xp did, but it seems to
> make up for it with anything that uses the windows gui - so stuff
> "feels" snappier. Stuff that doesn't give too much of a damn about
> what windows wants to do (so vmware workstation is the best example)
> is slower than xp, but nowhere near as bad as the vista abomination.
Hi
You need one of these puppies to run 7 Ultimate 64 bit
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4175784/Lamborghini-of-PCs-yours-for-just-30k

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.23-0.3-default

0
malcolmlewis
11/2/2010 5:50:21 PM
Anders Gustafsson wrote:

> Overall, I find Win7 faster at booting, but slower to do stuff (on he
> same HW)

It appears faster at booting, because it seems to "cheat" and let you
log in and starts the desktop while a lot of essential stuff is
happening in the background. Like the network coming up. Once it
actually finishes starting, it seems just as fast as XP to me.
0
Adam
11/2/2010 6:28:34 PM
Patrick,

since I started work at 5am (Monday) and 4am (Tuesday), late-night
gaming isn't something I contemplated :0

--

Shaun Pond

0
Shaun
11/3/2010 8:36:53 AM
On 11/2/2010 10:40 AM, ab@novell.com wrote:

> Per which benchmark?  A lot of things in win seven were changed to feel
> faster (or so I've read) but are they?  Nine years and a
> several-times-larger install just for the base stuff and it's supposed to
> be faster?  The repressed mathematician inside me raises his eyebrow.
>
> Good luck.

No benchmark, just his general experience.

0
Patrick
11/3/2010 2:41:54 PM
On 11/3/2010 3:36 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> since I started work at 5am (Monday) and 4am (Tuesday), late-night
> gaming isn't something I contemplated :0

I start at 8 :)
0
Patrick
11/3/2010 2:43:43 PM
On 11/2/2010 11:12 AM, Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> There is actually one fundamental change that affects every user from
> the secretary or accountant to the humble tech support guy: UAC. I just
> don't understand why everyone disables it instantaneously *cough*
> *cough*.
>
> Thorsten

The same say "simple file sharing" in xp is a pita..
0
Patrick
11/3/2010 2:44:38 PM
On 10/26/2010 10:32 AM, Michael Rae wrote:
> How many of you have upgraded to Win 7 from XP?
>
> I decided it was time and bought me a 3 user home upgrade of Win7 since I
> was reloading by good ole trusty Dell desktop, my notebook came with Vista
> but downgraded to XP so I might put it on there.
>
> Is it me but for work related stuff for those who HAVE to stay with a MS Win
> workstation solution, I'm not seeing the reason to upgrade at work other
> than the fact that MS is ending support for XP?

at home I have been running it on my netbook since the first public
beta. Power mgmt is much better than XP, but its a netbook so that's
about the only benchmark I have for it.

At work we have replaced half of our desktop pc's with new Win 7 pc's.
As a rule we never put a new OS on old hardware so I can't speak to its
performance losses/gains vs XP.
My biggest concern before rollout was end users losing time trying to
learn the new OS. What we discovered after the rollout started was this
wasn't a factor. End users biggest concern was finding the application
they needed to run and that is much easier to do with the search bar on
the start menu. All but one user indicated Win7 did not require a
learning curve.
Patching Win7 has been much smoother. The Win7 pc's play well with ZCM
since v10.3, and the client has worked well for us since IR2.
For us the migration was relatively painless - which was a pleasant
surprise (I still have nightmares from when XPsp2 came out...)
0
Steve
11/3/2010 2:49:29 PM
Patrick,

slacker :)

--

Shaun Pond

0
Shaun
11/3/2010 3:24:50 PM
Steve B;2040887 Wrote:
> On 10/26/2010 10:32 AM, Michael Rae wrote:[color=blue]
> I still have nightmares from when XPsp2 came out...

(shudders! :mad:) Oh I remember... :p bad, bad memories!

--
JAMES GOSLING
'www.jamesgosling.com' (http://www.jamesgosling.com)
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=424390

0
jamesgosling
11/3/2010 4:36:02 PM
On 11/3/2010 10:24 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> slacker :)

Maybe but it's not uncommon for me to be working during my "game" time
as all server related stuff has to get done off hours, even if I am here
all day during the business day.
0
Patrick
11/3/2010 4:36:03 PM
Patrick,

BTDT - moved to a job with a vendor ;)

--

Shaun Pond

0
Shaun
11/3/2010 4:59:30 PM
On 11/3/2010 11:59 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> BTDT - moved to a job with a vendor ;)

dsrepa... oh **** ZOMBIE!  Wait, what was I doing again?

0
Patrick
11/3/2010 5:15:18 PM
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:12:42 GMT, Thorsten Kampe
<thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> wrote:
> There is actually one fundamental change that affects every user
from
> the secretary or accountant to the humble tech support guy: UAC. I
just
> don't understand why everyone disables it instantaneously *cough*
> *cough*.

Doesn't do much good to leave it on when none of your users are
workstation admins. ;-)
0
Adam
11/3/2010 6:13:08 PM
* Adam Gabriel (Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:13:08 GMT)
> On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:12:42 GMT, Thorsten Kampe
> <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> wrote:
> > There is actually one fundamental change that affects every user
> > from the secretary or accountant to the humble tech support guy:
> > UAC. I just don't understand why everyone disables it
> > instantaneously *cough* *cough*.
>
> Doesn't do much good to leave it on when none of your users are
> workstation admins. ;-)

Correct - you will simply get a "Runas" prompt. UAC doesn't do much harm
unless you are workstation admin.

Thorsten
0
Thorsten