Wireless in Europe

Here's a silly question I just stumbled upon.  A partner wants to go to 
Italy and asked if her wireless nic would work there.  At first I was 
certain that it would,  but then had second thoughts.

In the US we have the FCC deciding which frequency is to be used for what 
purpose.  I am thinking that other countries may have set aside such 
frequencies for other purposes such as first responders, etc.

Or is it that the US "makes the standard" a standard just by volume of 
equipment?  That is, do other countries free up the frequencies if they are 
in use to accommodate wireless routers, nics, and other equipment per US 
specs?

Lastly, should she just get an AT&T card and do cellular?

Thanks!



0
Craig
8/31/2007 6:42:34 PM
novell.community.chat 7635 articles. 0 followers. Follow

12 Replies
387 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 6

Craig ha scritto:

> Here's a silly question I just stumbled upon.  A partner wants to go
> to Italy and asked if her wireless nic would work there.  At first I
> was certain that it would,  but then had second thoughts.
> 
> In the US we have the FCC deciding which frequency is to be used for
> what purpose.  I am thinking that other countries may have set aside
> such frequencies for other purposes such as first responders, etc.
> 
> Or is it that the US "makes the standard" a standard just by volume
> of equipment?  That is, do other countries free up the frequencies if
> they are in use to accommodate wireless routers, nics, and other
> equipment per US specs?

Lots of differences here. The NIC would work here but we run E1 rather
than T1, for instance.

Our FM also goes 4 or 5 integers below the US standard.


-- 
brainbarian
0
brain
8/31/2007 6:50:52 PM
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:42:34 +0000, Craig wrote:

> Here's a silly question I just stumbled upon.  A partner wants to go to
> Italy and asked if her wireless nic would work there.  At first I was
> certain that it would,  but then had second thoughts.

I believe other parts of the world use other frequencies for 802.11a/b/g.

-- 
Joe
"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do."

0
Joseph
8/31/2007 7:16:18 PM
Different than ours?  If so, do our cards still work?  Is that frequency 
independent?


"Joseph Marton" <jmartonNO@SPAMhsemuni.com> wrote in message 
news:pan.2007.08.31.19.16.44.875236@SPAMhsemuni.com...
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:42:34 +0000, Craig wrote:
>
>> Here's a silly question I just stumbled upon.  A partner wants to go to
>> Italy and asked if her wireless nic would work there.  At first I was
>> certain that it would,  but then had second thoughts.
>
> I believe other parts of the world use other frequencies for 802.11a/b/g.
>
> -- 
> Joe
> "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us 
> who do."
> 


0
Craig
8/31/2007 7:33:39 PM
When I was in London 3 years ago the only Wifi I saw was in the airport. 
Nothing running around the city. I assumed that was because of the 
frequency diffs.

Craig wrote:
> Different than ours?  If so, do our cards still work?  Is that frequency 
> independent?
> 
> 
> "Joseph Marton" <jmartonNO@SPAMhsemuni.com> wrote in message 
> news:pan.2007.08.31.19.16.44.875236@SPAMhsemuni.com...
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:42:34 +0000, Craig wrote:
>>
>>> Here's a silly question I just stumbled upon.  A partner wants to go to
>>> Italy and asked if her wireless nic would work there.  At first I was
>>> certain that it would,  but then had second thoughts.
>> I believe other parts of the world use other frequencies for 802.11a/b/g.
>>
>> -- 
>> Joe
>> "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us 
>> who do."
>>
> 
> 
0
unsigned
8/31/2007 7:40:01 PM
What about in places like Costa Rica?

We have a dept head that's headed that way in just over a month, I'm
sure will want that type access.
0
Stevo
8/31/2007 7:42:24 PM
In <uiZBi.3362$vI3.2575@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Craig wrote:
> Here's a silly question I just stumbled upon.  A partner wants to go
> to Italy and asked if her wireless nic would work there.  At first I
> was certain that it would,  but then had second thoughts.

There are indeed differences in frequencies used for 802.11a/b/g -- the
list of channels available in each country can differ.  Most cards I've
seen come with a utility to set the country you're operating in, which
will change the set of channels correctly.

There are usually notices in the card packaging etc. warning you to set
this correctly and attach any relevant regulatory declaration stickers.

-- 
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/
0
Ben
8/31/2007 8:13:20 PM
But the channels are really just chunks of a frequency, right?  So, if they 
are using say 2.4 GHZ, the channels are pieces of that frequency.

Would the other countries be using the same frequency, but limiting the 
channels?


"Ben A L Jemmett" <bal.jemmett@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message 
news:xn0fam565nlv441004@support-forums.novell.com...
> In <uiZBi.3362$vI3.2575@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Craig wrote:
>> Here's a silly question I just stumbled upon.  A partner wants to go
>> to Italy and asked if her wireless nic would work there.  At first I
>> was certain that it would,  but then had second thoughts.
>
> There are indeed differences in frequencies used for 802.11a/b/g -- the
> list of channels available in each country can differ.  Most cards I've
> seen come with a utility to set the country you're operating in, which
> will change the set of channels correctly.
>
> There are usually notices in the card packaging etc. warning you to set
> this correctly and attach any relevant regulatory declaration stickers.
>
> -- 
> Regards,
> Ben A L Jemmett.
> http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/ 


0
Craig
8/31/2007 9:02:01 PM
In <dl%Bi.3427$vI3.809@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Craig wrote:
> But the channels are really just chunks of a frequency, right?  So,
> if they are using say 2.4 GHZ, the channels are pieces of that
> frequency.

Sort of.  The 2.4 GHz "frequency" is actually a frequency *band* -- the
channels are sections of that band.  Just like, e.g. the FM radio band
is roughly 88-108MHz, but the stations are on their own frequency
ranges within that.  The 2.4GHz band is unlicensed (free to use)
worldwide, so WiFi kit should be operating on a certain channel within
that band wherever it is.

The channel numbers that WiFi kit is allowed to use vary by country --
presumably this is to avoid interference with neighbouring licensed
bands, since a WiFi signal will spread over a range of frequencies
either side of the central point (about 11MHz either side of the
selected channel, with channels being 5MHz apart.)  The US apparently
allows WiFi to operate on channels 1-11, whereas European regulators
seem to allow 1-13 so you'll see a different set of channels in use.

As long as your WiFi device knows which country it's in, it should
allow access to all permitted channels and so a site survey should show
the channels in use locally.

> Would the other countries be using the same frequency, but limiting
> the channels?

Yep, pretty much :)

-- 
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/
0
Ben
8/31/2007 9:31:48 PM
Good info.  Thank you sir!
"Ben A L Jemmett" <bal.jemmett@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message 
news:xn0fam77fnoo108005@support-forums.novell.com...
> In <dl%Bi.3427$vI3.809@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Craig wrote:
>> But the channels are really just chunks of a frequency, right?  So,
>> if they are using say 2.4 GHZ, the channels are pieces of that
>> frequency.
>
> Sort of.  The 2.4 GHz "frequency" is actually a frequency *band* -- the
> channels are sections of that band.  Just like, e.g. the FM radio band
> is roughly 88-108MHz, but the stations are on their own frequency
> ranges within that.  The 2.4GHz band is unlicensed (free to use)
> worldwide, so WiFi kit should be operating on a certain channel within
> that band wherever it is.
>
> The channel numbers that WiFi kit is allowed to use vary by country --
> presumably this is to avoid interference with neighbouring licensed
> bands, since a WiFi signal will spread over a range of frequencies
> either side of the central point (about 11MHz either side of the
> selected channel, with channels being 5MHz apart.)  The US apparently
> allows WiFi to operate on channels 1-11, whereas European regulators
> seem to allow 1-13 so you'll see a different set of channels in use.
>
> As long as your WiFi device knows which country it's in, it should
> allow access to all permitted channels and so a site survey should show
> the channels in use locally.
>
>> Would the other countries be using the same frequency, but limiting
>> the channels?
>
> Yep, pretty much :)
>
> -- 
> Regards,
> Ben A L Jemmett.
> http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/ 


0
Craig
8/31/2007 11:15:09 PM
Craig,

the standard is 802.11something here as well as in the US. The only
limitations regard certain channels. In the US, you must not use channels
12 and 13 which can be legally used here in Europe.

Don't expect any problems.

U
0
Uwe
9/1/2007 4:06:23 PM
Cool!  Thanks!
"Uwe Buckesfeld" <u.buckesfeld@web.de> wrote in message 
news:36gCi.3554$vI3.1981@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Craig,
>
> the standard is 802.11something here as well as in the US. The only
> limitations regard certain channels. In the US, you must not use channels
> 12 and 13 which can be legally used here in Europe.
>
> Don't expect any problems.
>
> U 

0
Craig
9/1/2007 4:31:07 PM
unsigned
> I assumed that was because of the frequency diffs.

Nope, it's because we're really quite carp at the whole wifi hotspot 
thing over here (in the UK anyway)

Michael
-- 
"This is the curse of Jeff Murdoch. I meet the woman of my dreams and I 
can't take my trousers off."
0
MichaelC
9/3/2007 6:52:49 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Community Chat
FYI: Couldn't get to comm. chat for several minutes. -- lcurrie ------------------------------------------------------------------------ all the novell forums seemed to have been down for awhile earlier both for nntp and http access. Rodney >>> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 8:16 PM, in message <lcurrie.35twon@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, lcurrie<lcurrie@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote: > FYI: Couldn't get to comm. chat for several minutes. ...

Suse.community.chat
It seems that NNTP posters cannot post to suse.community.chat. Is it just me? Has everyone else migrated to the web interface? -Bob C. "Wallgames.com" <rpcarroll@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message news:cV%eq.4700$8W7.707@kovat.provo.novell.com... > It seems that NNTP posters cannot post to suse.community.chat. > > Is it just me? Has everyone else migrated to the web interface? > > -Bob C. > > > Or is the error message that says "The newsgroup 'suse.community.chat' could not be resolved" bogus?...

Embarcadero and the community of eastern europe
Hi all, Perhaps this thread should be published here. https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=85912&tstart=0 -- pozdrawiam Jacek > Perhaps this thread should be published here. > > https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=85912&tstart=0 Out of interest, who were the EMBT employees involved in the build up? I ask because my immediate guess is that a lower-level person was doing the running without telling people higher up the food chain, or at least, without relevant superiors actually saying 'yes'. These superiors then find ou...

community starter kit with cute chat and messenger
I am using the community starter kit with cute chat and messenger.  everything works well with the exception of the messenger.  The messenger will find other users.  it gives an error message saying that Column 'User_Username,' does not belong to table Table.  Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know how to overcome it. Thanx,~~~BillyZ...

Community Site complete with shopper & chat
My version of the Community Site which includes an integrated Shopper plus chat web control is now free. To see this site in action look at http://www.hillumswebsites.com Regards Robin. ...

Communities Chat gadget does not work with Secure iChain accelerators.
Solution NOVL87352 This problem has been addressed in Novell exteNd Director 4.1 Standard Edition. The Community Chat gadget has been enhanced with an option to use http/s instead of the applet (socket interface) for compatibility with iChain and other firewalls/proxies. This elliminates the need for tunneling on port 2122. There is a new configuration setting in the Community Chat gadget called "Use HTTP instead of Sockets". By setting this to "True", all instant messages will be sent via http/s rather than the socket interface. To configure this...

Strong Coders Community: Announcing Live Chat and Messenger
The Strong Coders Community is pleased to announce the launch of Live Chat and Messenger on its forums using CuteSoft's Cute Chat and Web Messenger components. Not only can you get your questions answered and answer questions, but also hang out with others in the developer community live. We're also pleased to announce that the MVP Live Chats forum will soon be live on the site. Each week, Microsoft MVPs will be there live to answer your questions by chat. Don't miss out. We'll be announcing that forum again when it goes live so stay tuned. Join us today at http://community.strongcoders.com....

Best IRC community ? oder Chat �ber suse teamspeak
Hallo kennt wer einen Deutschen IRC channel oder besser noch einem teamspeak Chat �ber Suse linux und ubuntu wo man sich mit vielen anderen Neueinsteigern �ber linux austauschen kann? Ich blick n�mlich noch gar nix !!! Erste hilfe w�re gibt es teamspeak f�r linux �berhaupt oder was �hnliches ? wie installiere ich das ? MFG -- meisterfu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ probably get a better answer here: http://www.linux-club.de/ but, try http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate/IRC and find: #openSUSE-de and #openSUSE-de-cha ...

Wireless card for wireless the internet
I want to go wireless and I need to know what card and model do I need for OpenSuse 11.1? -- jmdlcar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Have a look here 'HCL/Network Adapters (Wireless) - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_%28Wireless%29) & here 'Linux wireless LAN support http://linux-wless.passys.nl' (http://linux-wless.passys.nl/) Andy -- To be is to do = Immanuel Kant To do is to be = Descartes. Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994 --------...

A Flop Show- For the community
Asp.net Team had taken a real great step by introducing " For The Community, By The Community ".It was a move to offer a sort of starterkits, by offering what the community likes, collecting the feedback with theopinion polls.There were 3 polls collected and the Starterkits were supposed to be offered from 4th August, 18th August and 28th Augustrespectively.It was very sad to see that all expert coders/developers have failed to submit the codes in time in the first move itself.If the first coder/developer was late, the second one could have submtited his, but none of the Three deve...

Mozilla Europe and Mozilla in Europe
This has been communicated to MozCamp Berlin attendees and Mozilla employees via email, but this should be public, so here it is). << Last week-end at the EU MozCamp in Berlin we shared plans for further focusing and expanding Mozilla efforts in Europe - and we thought you might be interested to know what we said. Mozilla has been widely successful in Europe. The Mozilla Mission resonates especially well with Europeans. The user base of Firefox and Thunderbird is very high, and Firefox is a well understood part of mainstream life. What many of us don't realize is that w...

Wireless
So I have Suse 11.2 installed to dual boot on a Macbook Pro. Everything is finally working right after a lot of re-installs to get it too where the Suse installation wasn't disappearing after reboot, everything except for the wireless. Suse is seeing my connection and to my knowledge, I have all encryption and SSID entered correctly, but I cannot get a connection. What am I doing wrong? -- badills ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I don't know. We certainly need more information. Go to http://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/c...

chat
Name: elida Email: elidaadams_at_comcast.net Product: Mozilla Suite Summary: chat Comments: i cant seem to chat with friends on line nor use my mic?plz help me Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060414 ...

Chat
I am not a teeny bopper and have no desire to chat with anyone on line. Please find a way to delete the word chat from my homepage. Why not put "enable porn" or "enable spam" on the list of tabs? They are just as undesirable!!! Get rid of Chat, please. On Mar 13, 2009, at 9:35 AM, antichat wrote: > I am not a teeny bopper and have no desire to chat with anyone on > line. Please find a way to delete the word chat from my homepage. > Why not put "enable porn" or "enable spam" on the list of tabs? They > are just as undesirab...

Web resources about - Wireless in Europe - novell.community.chat

Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wireless communication is the transfer of information between two or more points that are not connected by an electrical conductor. The most ...

Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wireless communication is the transfer of information between two or more points that are not connected by an electrical conductor. The most ...

Wireless Federation - Serving 500+ mobile operators across 142 countries
Research Each year we cover 30+ research streams that form the basis of our knowledge deliverables to our mobile operator customers. Over 500+ ...

Wireless Technology - Mobile - Network
... community with a rapidly expanding network of nearly 400 companies across the globe interested in the development and application of wireless ...

Paramedic invents wireless device to stop children being locked in hot cars
A paramedic concerned about children being locked in hot cars has invented a device that he believes will&nbsp;prevent trauma and save lives. ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: 13″ MacBook Air 256GB from $900, Beats Solo2 Wireless $190, Philips Hue Go $80 ...
... Apple 13-inch MacBook Air 1.6GHz/4GB/256GB (newest version): $950 or $900 w/ .edu (Reg. $1,199) Headphones: Beats by Dr. Dre Solo2 Wireless ...

Dealmaster: Get an Xbox One Elite bundle with wireless controller for $449
... , we have another great gaming deal for you today. You can save $50 on an Xbox One Elite console, complete with a 1TB SSD and a wireless controller, ...

Amazon deal: Save $85 on this Sony portable wireless server
Smartphones' memory storage gets filled so quickly these days thanks to photos, videos and more, so get yourself a handy portable wireless server ...

Why Comcast is getting into the wireless business
... Brian Roberts discussed with Business Insider CEO and Editor-in-Chief Henry Blodget about the internet provider's likely move into the wireless ...

Google's experimental wireless service will work with tablets too
Google gives folks enrolled in its Project Fi service the option to add cellular-enabled tablets at no additional charge.

Resources last updated: 12/25/2015 1:54:31 PM