Document Management

I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
management?

--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------------

> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
> management?

Paper clips? HTH.
G of Borg wrote:
>> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
>> management?
>
> Paper clips? HTH.

We don't use paper clips.  They tend to scratch the hard drives. :P

--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------------
http://www.mattography.net/
http://www.matthewdgood.com/
http://www.systemtyrant.com/
0
Matthew
1/18/2008 8:10:51 PM
Matthew wrote:
> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
> management?

It's 'in development' here.  Upper management is sold on MS SharePoint,
though everyone below the level of director thinks it's a heap of *****.

Honestly, sometimes I think if you put the Microsoft logo on a dog turd,
someone here would buy it.

<grumble>

0
Doug
1/18/2008 8:21:01 PM
Doug Black > wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
>> management?
>>

> It's 'in development' here.  Upper management is sold on MS SharePoint,
> though everyone below the level of director thinks it's a heap of *****.
>
> Honestly, sometimes I think if you put the Microsoft logo on a dog turd,
> someone here would buy it.
>
> <grumble>

Sharepoint is awesome.

--
Romey

Quote: �Not now chief... I'm in the zone!!!!�
0
Jay
1/18/2008 8:23:09 PM
The newest Vaio laptops come with Microsoft Dogt*rd pre-loaded.  Our SVPs
"eat it up."

"Doug Black" <""dougd otb lack\"@osumc .edu"> wrote in message
> Matthew wrote:
>> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
>> management?
>>

> It's 'in development' here.  Upper management is sold on MS SharePoint,
> though everyone below the level of director thinks it's a heap of *****.
>
> Honestly, sometimes I think if you put the Microsoft logo on a dog turd,
> someone here would buy it.
>
> <grumble>

0
Mary
1/18/2008 8:23:10 PM
Doug Black scribbled something like:

> Honestly, sometimes I think if you put the Microsoft logo on a dog
> ****, someone here would buy it.

I'm sure they'd pay too much for it too.
0
Stevo
1/18/2008 8:23:30 PM
On the other hand if you put Microsoft on stuff some people avoid it.

I've read a few reviews (well the conclusions anyway) that said it was
pretty good, but I don't know anything about it.  I tend to avoid
Microsoft products.

What I would really like is a nice open source program that worked well.
  However, I don't find to many that meet my needs.  I've been looking
at a program called Worldox for quite sometime, but the way it works and
the cost is a bit more than I was hoping for.

Currently we just save the documents in a structured directory system on
the server, but it's not a very good system for finding things that
might be in the document.

--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------------
http://www.mattography.net/
http://www.matthewdgood.com/
http://www.systemtyrant.com/
0
Matthew
1/18/2008 8:36:05 PM
I worked at a law firm that used Worldox - about 10 years ago - and it
worked extremely well.

"Matthew" <"system[remove]tyrant"@g[ee]mail.com> wrote in message
> On the other hand if you put Microsoft on stuff some people avoid it.
>
> I've read a few reviews (well the conclusions anyway) that said it was
> pretty good, but I don't know anything about it.  I tend to avoid
> Microsoft products.
>
> What I would really like is a nice open source program that worked well.
> However, I don't find to many that meet my needs.  I've been looking at a
> program called Worldox for quite sometime, but the way it works and the
> cost is a bit more than I was hoping for.
>
> Currently we just save the documents in a structured directory system on
> the server, but it's not a very good system for finding things that might
> be in the document.
>
> --
> Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
> --------------------------------------
> http://www.mattography.net/
> http://www.matthewdgood.com/
> http://www.systemtyrant.com/

0
Mary
1/18/2008 8:52:00 PM
Matthew wrote:
> Currently we just save the documents in a structured directory system on
> the server, but it's not a very good system for finding things that
> might be in the document.

If all you want is indexing, have you tried Quickfinder (if your
documents are on a NetWare of SLES server)?
0
Kathryn
1/18/2008 9:15:51 PM
Kathryn Carruthers wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>> Currently we just save the documents in a structured directory system
>> on the server, but it's not a very good system for finding things that
>> might be in the document.
>>
> If all you want is indexing, have you tried Quickfinder (if your
> documents are on a NetWare of SLES server)?

Yeah, I've tried quickfinder and it works, but I would prefer an actual
document management solutions.  So far I think Worldox is looking like
it.  However I'm always curious about other suggestions or ways of doing
it.  You never know who might have the right solution.

--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------------
http://www.mattography.net/
http://www.matthewdgood.com/
http://www.systemtyrant.com/
0
Matthew
1/18/2008 9:27:56 PM
In article <qW6kj.21853$k06.5418@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Matthew
<"system[remove]tyrant"@g[ee]mail.com> says...
> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
> management?

Hummingbird is a big one

Although MS is using their dominance in the OS market to dominate the
Office Suite market, to then take over the portal market (ie,
Sharepoint).
0
m_jonis

http://www.novell.com/products/groupwise/

--
Joe
"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Would you say that a little slower please? I don't speak idiot and I
might understand what you're saying if you speak slowly and succinctly

0
Sewermonger
1/19/2008 3:06:27 AM
You mean Vista?

"Doug Black" <""dougd otb lack\"@osumc .edu"> wrote in message
> Matthew wrote:
>> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
>> management?
>>

> It's 'in development' here.  Upper management is sold on MS SharePoint,
> though everyone below the level of director thinks it's a heap of *****.
>
> Honestly, sometimes I think if you put the Microsoft logo on a dog turd,
> someone here would buy it.
>
> <grumble>

0
Craig
1/19/2008 3:39:49 PM
Interwoven but working towards SharePoint which IS a good MS product.

> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
> management?
>

> --
> Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
> --------------------------------------
> http://www.mattography.net/
> http://www.matthewdgood.com/
> http://www.systemtyrant.com/

0
Dave
1/20/2008 1:52:02 PM
> "Matthew" <"system[remove]tyrant"@g[ee]mail.com> wrote in
> message news:qW6kj.21853$k06.5418@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>
> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for
> document management?

We wanted to go with AlFresco, but management went with MS.

http://www.alfresco.com/

--
AZC

0
Andrew
1/21/2008 11:52:45 AM
Matthew wrote:

> I'm just curious what methods/software people
> employ for document management?

We use an industry specific one for accounting
firms.

--
DHunter
Dealing with LUsers is like being nibbled to
Andrew Z Carpenter wrote:
>> "Matthew" <"system[remove]tyrant"@g[ee]mail.com> wrote in
>> message news:qW6kj.21853$k06.5418@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>>
>> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for
>> document management?
>

> We wanted to go with AlFresco, but management went with MS.
>
> http://www.alfresco.com/

I'm not liking Alfresco.  Everytime I try to install it (on windows or
linux) I always have trouble.  However, I'm giving it another go round
today.  We'll see what happens.

--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------------
http://www.mattography.net/
http://www.matthewdgood.com/
http://www.systemtyrant.com/
0
Matthew
1/22/2008 4:21:08 PM
Perhaps you might be able to convince those upper mgmt types to look at
Novell Teaming + Conferencing... s'posed to be better than Sharepoint...
http://www.novell.com/products/teaming/

0
none
1/22/2008 5:31:36 PM
none wrote:
> Perhaps you might be able to convince those upper mgmt types to look at
> Novell Teaming + Conferencing... s'posed to be better than Sharepoint...
> http://www.novell.com/products/teaming/

Proposing anything but a Microsoft solution, no matter how worthy, is a
CLM in this environment.

0
Doug
1/22/2008 7:19:55 PM
I have this big, cylindrical thing under my desk that works pretty well.
  The user interface is a breeze but finding things later is sometimes a
challenge.

Travis

Matthew wrote:
> I'm just curious what methods/software people employ for document
> management?

0
Travis