Virtual IP Address (Mac Addressing)

We are planning a 26node cluster Groupwise implementation early next
year.  After meeting with our Network people, one of them posed the
question if Server A (connected to Switch A) fails over to Server B which
is connected to Switch B (Will the virtual mac IP address that fails over
to Server B be recorded correctly). I was under the impression that the
application layer managed it, but we need clarification for Netware.

Thanks.
0
computingd
10/8/2004 9:59:11 PM
novell.cluster-services 3416 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Novell's fail-over works by only moving the IP address of a resource
and not the MAC address. Therefore, the fail-over is completely
transparent to switches.
However to notify the fail-over, NetWare uses spontaneous (or
unsollicitated) ARP packets. Normal Windows workstations accept these
just fine and honour the fail-over. However, sometimes for security
reasons, some network devices (routers, firewalls etc) maybe configured
to ignore spontaneous ARP packets. Therefore, if your clients are not
on the same LAN as your cluster, you should make sure the devices that
make the link between your LANs honour spontaneous ARP packets.

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.16.4.6)
0

just how big is this email system?

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels

0
Richard
10/11/2004 3:42:07 PM
I figured it was a 2 node cluster (servers A and B) and the 6 is just a
mistype.

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.16.4.6)
0
Marcel
10/11/2004 5:49:31 PM
i thought it could be either be a 6 node or a 2 node but the keys
aren't that close on the keyboard so i felt i had to ask...

i've worked on a couple clusters that big (28 and 32 nodes) but they
can get to be more troule than they're worth at that size...

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    http://www.dsi-consulting.com
    Collaboration without complication

0
Richard
10/12/2004 5:07:28 AM
> I thought I responded to this message and yes it is going to be a 26-
node cluster that will grow to be about 30000 users in the next year or
so.  It is a consolidation project, presently there're approx 22
administrators with that many po's, the system will be centrally
administered.

Sorry for the late response.

> i see marcel answewred your question but wanted to ask if your're
> really going to do a 26-node cluster.
>
> just how big is this email system?
>

> --
> Cheers!
>     Richard Beels
>     http://www.dsi-consulting.com
>     Collaboration without complication

0
computingd
10/15/2004 6:21:17 PM
> I thought I responded to this message and yes it is going to be a 26-
node cluster that will grow to be about 30000 users in the next year or
so.  It is a consolidation project, presently there're approx 22
administrators with that many po's, the system will be centrally
administered.

Sorry for the late response.

> i see marcel answewred your question but wanted to ask if your're
> really going to do a 26-node cluster.
>
> just how big is this email system?
>

> --
> Cheers!
>     Richard Beels
>     http://www.dsi-consulting.com
>     Collaboration without complication

0
computingd
10/15/2004 6:46:19 PM
perhaps you mean a 26 post office system running on a smaller number of
cluster nodes?

if you really mean a 26-node cluster, i'd reccomend hiring a consultant
who knows a bit about clustering (say... me, perhaps :-).  The fee will
be less than the savings from optimizing your clustering design.  :-)

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    http://www.dsi-consulting.com
    Collaboration without complication

0
Richard
10/16/2004 6:52:01 AM
Unless he is in the UK :-)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:52:01 GMT, Richard Beels [SysOp]
<rbeels@dsi-consulting.net> wrote:

>perhaps you mean a 26 post office system running on a smaller number of
>cluster nodes?
>
>if you really mean a 26-node cluster, i'd reccomend hiring a consultant
>who knows a bit about clustering (say... me, perhaps :-).  The fee will
>be less than the savings from optimizing your clustering design.  :-)

Tim
___________________
Tim Heywood (SYSOP)
NDS8
Scotland
(God's Country)
___________________

In theory, practice and theory are the same
In Practice, they are different
0
Tim
10/16/2004 10:17:30 AM
161.149.x.x is the City of Los Angeles, California.

Nice try though....  :-)

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    http://www.dsi-consulting.com
    Collaboration without complication

0
Richard

how to find ip address from mac address?
It happened more than once. At a customer's office, there is a device with an unknown ip address. We know its mac address. The ip address might be different from the network. For example, the customer's network might be 10.1.0.0/16, whereas that device might have the ip address 192.168.200.123/24. For example, it might be a managed switch that has kept its default ip address. So, it works as a switch, but I cannot manage it. Apart from a sniffer, is there a (free?) software that can scan the network and find ip addresses of all hosts, and/or only of those whose mac address ...

Find an IP address having only the MAC address
Hi again, I've been searching google for a while about this issue, but I'm still too confused. My goal is to discover the IP address of the LAN interface of a Cisco 1721 router (it's located at the office where I work). I know the MAC address because it's written in a sticker at the bottom of the router. But I don't know the password to the router admin console :( The router's LAN interface is connected to a Sun workstation that has two NICs (one of them connected to the cisco and the other connected to a 24- port switch). The Sun machine works as a...

IP address vs MAC address
Ok somebody explain this to me. I understand how IP addresses are issued(well sort of...lol) Is it one IP address to one MAC address?(not accounting for non routable IP space) I understand there can only be one WAN facing IP address per machine/MAC/NIC/etc realizing multiple NICs possible on one computer. If that is the case then how can say a Comcast DHCP server keep from issuing an IP to a MAC address that another provider has already issued an IP for? In this case perhaps someone has made up a MAC address to use in their router for cloning purposes. Or does it really ...

Ip addresses linked to MAC addresses?
Hi, I recently decided to install a router onto my internet connection, (partially because of my Shields Up results, and partially because my linux computer acting as a router was a bottleneck (ISA ethernet cards.. eww)) Anyway, I plugged it in, booted it up, and noticed that my IP address had changed. Now, nowhere in my internet access does it say anything about static IP address, but my IP address hadn't changed for quite some time. (Somewhere in the range of 1-2 years) I thought that this was too much of a coincidence, so I took a closer look at my LinkSys router, and saw a WAN ...

IP Address allocation by mac address
Is it possible to give a specific mac address a fixed IP address when it requests an address from the DHCP server? mike.dawson@scarborough.gov.uk schrieb: >Is it possible to give a specific mac address a fixed IP address when it >requests an address from the DHCP server? Yes. Just create an ip-address-object with manual assignment type in the DNS/DHCP management console. Enter the mac-address, unload and reload the dhcpsrvr module and release and renew the address at the workstation. Important: Don�t touch the client identifier field, when creating the object. J...

Get IP address and MAC address
Hi there! How can get ip address and mac address from command shell without root attributes(I can't use 'ifconfig'). Thank you in advance. -- [Adri�n C�rdoba] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ aecordoba wrote: > Hi there! > How can get ip address and mac address from command shell without root > attributes(I can't use 'ifconfig'). > Thank you in advance. > > /sbin/ifconfig -- Vahis aecordoba wrote: > Hi there! > How can get ip address and mac address from command shell wi...

How to force MTA to use cluster ip address rather than physical ip address
Hi, Is there a way to force the MTA to use the virtual ip address for outbound connection. We run GW 6.5 SP2 in cluster with 6 nodes. We want to add an external Domain who have to go through a firewall. We added a rule to let the virtual ip address of the MTA to pass but we see that the MTA are using the physical ip address of the server so if the resource migrate, MTA will use an other address and my rule will not work anymore until I add the 6 physical ip address of each node, thing I don't want to do. Regards, Eric Bellavance Ministere des Finances It should...

How to get MAC address & IP address?
Dear all how to get the MAC address & IP address using PowerBuilder 6.5? thanks! Michael On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:42:51 +0800, "Michael" <michaell@hknet.com> wrote: >Dear all > > how to get the MAC address & IP address using PowerBuilder 6.5? > thanks! > >Michael > For IP address see http://eric.aling.tripod.com/PB/tips/pbtip14.htm -- Boris Gasin [TeamSybase] mailto:bgasin@dynamictechgroup.com Close to NJ? Join the NJ Sybase Tools User Group http://www.njpbug.org/njpbug/join/join.asp On Wed, ...

ip address, mac address, agent name
Hi It seems that I was able to print a report showing IP Address, MAC address and Agent Name all on the same page...Did I make that up? Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks, Kat On Mar 15, 5:16 pm, mepr...@speakeasy.net wrote: > Hi > It seems that I was able to print a report showing IP Address, MAC address > and Agent Name all on the same page...Did I make that up? Does anyone know > how to do that? Well, the MAC address would really be tough as NDPS/iPrint has no need for the MAC address and as such does not record that information anywhere. If the pritner i...

Access restriction using ip address or MAC address
Here is my Problem.                  I would like to restric users access to my application if their IP address or MAC address is not a register on my database, I have already handle the database part but what i need to know is how to check the ip address and MAC address of client computers for incoming connection to my application server. Second question, is it a good idea to restric using ip address although i have another layer of Authentication and authorization process in place? Can IP address&n...

Web control for catching IP address and MAC address
Hi guys. I would like to know if any of you know a link or maybe have a library which allows me to use a textbox for enter an IP Address or a MAC address??. I've been searching on the web but all of the examples are for windows applications or they are masks for the normal textbox but they don't include the Control type for an IP address or a MAC address. Please help with this.  You would need to make a composite control of 4 textboxes.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks you...

Windows software to convert MAC address to IP address?
Hi all. For the life of me, I can't remember what the name of the software that will take a MAC address and give you back the IP address if the equipment with the MAC address is on the local network. A friend suggested setting a static ARP listing for a MAC address on my computer with an unused IP address, but that didn't work. Help? - Phil "Philip H. Schlesinger" <pschlesi@REMOVE-uci_ME.edu> wrote in message news:dvut6p$2jsu$1@news.grc.com... > Hi all. For the life of me, I can't remember what the name of the > software > that...

Asisgn IP address based on wildcard MAC addresses
We are using NetWare 6.5 DHCP in our environment. I would like to assign IP addresses to PCs based on the particular manufacturer ID in the MAC address, can this be done? I tried but the DNS/DHCP management console wouldn't accept the wildcard character in the MAC addresses field. Is there any way to workaround it? Will import accepts wildcard MAC? Thanks. AFAIK, th DHCP protocol does not support what you want, in any implementation, as it is not part of the DHCP standards. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp Thanks Brad. No problem. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp Hi,...

DHCP assigning the same IP Address to Mutiple Mac Addresses
Is it possible in DHCP to assign the same IP Address to multiple Mac Addresses, ie. a laptop docked using the docking station NIC and a laptop undocked using the built-in NIC I have an application that checks security based on the IP-address that is assigned to the user. thanks, Chris Chris, AFAIK this isn�t possible. You have to add two different manual assignments to the nics. Joerg Joerg is correct, although you may be able to use a MAC Address override so that the machine has the same MAC address regardless of how it is connected. Check your OS d...

Web resources about - Virtual IP Address (Mac Addressing) - novell.cluster-services

Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Prior to the introduction of datalink, all communication between the aircraft (i.e., the flight crew) and personnel on the ground was performed ...

Addressing personal/collective faith (particularly in regards to Glenn Beck)
I have watched the debate about Glenn Beck’s faith in Christian newsletters, blogs, email blasts and on the WB Fan Page (and I sincerely thank ...

Sen. Brown addressing the Worcester Tea Party - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Senator Scott Brown's photos on Flickr. Senator Scott Brown has uploaded 2003 photos to Flickr.

Israeli PM unapologetic about addressing US Congress
Speaking at the annual Washington conference of powerful pro-Israel lobby group, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), Benjamin ...

Glee season addressing Cory Monteith addiction could be among last
Cory Monteith's addiction-related death will be tackled in the Glee episode bidding farewell to his character.

Oakley Is Addressing An Epidemic Within The Women's Activewear Market
Sunglasses company Oakley is tackling what is says is one of the biggest problems in activewear: women wearing their spandex yoga pants to brunch. ...

Dyson Heydon says addressing Liberal Party fundraiser does not mean he supports the Liberal Party
Dyson Heydon has refused to step down because the Liberal Party event he agreed to address was a &quot;legal event&quot; in nature.

Sydney's new home boom triggers urgency in addressing transport, jobs and schools
Are Sydney's schools, transport and jobs market equipped to deal with residential growth that will come with a surge in home building approvals? ...

Addressing housing affordability, German style
Lea Schmeling is caught up in a housing affordability crisis. But there is a solution.

Addressing gender inequality is crucial to preventing violence against women and children.
The biggest risk factor for becoming a victim of sexual assault, domestic or family violence in Australia today is being a woman.