DNS UP - DNS DOWN

Hi

We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been
operating reasonably well.

Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using
either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the
DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet)

We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested
from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are
working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The
internal DNS also seems fime.

We have not made any changes to the system or the BM Servers and this
has only just happened.

We have cleared the proxy cache and also restarted both servers, this
has had no effect.

Any pointers would be appreciated

S Smith

--
ssm

ssm
11/28/2008 10:46:01 PM
novell.bordermanager.proxies 3217 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <ssm.3jlxmn@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Ssm wrote:
> Any pointers would be appreciated

Every now and then I'd seen this in the past, but not recently.  I did
find at one time that I had a lot better results by not mixing public
and private DNS entries, and best results pointing to internal only DNS
servers.  I still don't know why, and that was only on some servers,
while others were fine.

I think it would be a good idea to use PKTSCAN on the server to grab a
packet trace, and then use Wireshark to look at the DNS packets to see
if you can find a pattern there.

I've also seen cases in the past where certain LAN drivers were very
bad with UDP packets, though I don't know why your problem would have
just started now.  Don't overlook troubleshooting lan drivers, and NIC
issues in general though.

For now, start by checking your patches against tip #1 at the URL
below.  And at least for a test, try pointing just to the internal DNS
server and see if that helps.  But since this problem came up all of a
sudden on a previously-working system, I'm suspecting there is a
problem on the wire, and a packet trace will show some signs of it.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
11/29/2008 6:12:52 AM
HI Craig

Thanks for your input, the update to the story is that there was
changes made to our providers DNS Servers but at the time this was done
information had not got to the right people.

The DNS Servers are rejecting our requests after pointing BM Servers to
a 3rd unchanged DNS, this came up and stayed up and our Internet access
has been restored.

Our provider is now working to resolve the situation.

Regards

S Smith

--
ssm
ssm's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8224

0
ssm
12/2/2008 9:26:01 AM
In article <ssm.3jsb9b@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Ssm wrote:
> The DNS Servers are rejecting our requests after pointing BM Servers to
> a 3rd unchanged DNS, this came up and stayed up and our Internet access
> has been restored.

Hmm.  I don't much care for the ISP's that limit DNS requests to their
DNS servers!

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig

to Proxy or not to Proxy ?
Hi all, Could I ask for some opinions regarding using a proxy ? Here in the UK, I use Freeserve as my dial-up ISP. There is a web-cache proxy available for use if required, tho' IE6 works fine with or without (a small increase in page loads occurs if I use the proxy). The problem is, that if I use the proxy, then my Outpost Firewall logs only register connections to it, so I suffer from a serious lack of information about where my browser connections are going and what I could block (like adclick connections etc). I'm really not sure about the merits of with/without the pr...

to proxy or not to proxy that is the ?
ok, i had jconect on NT and my AIX Sybase database on an RS/6000, so i used the proxy...fine. i have installed jconnect on the rs/6000, installed netscape fasttrack and i STILL have to use the proxy to avoid those -1 erro messages. does this mean that jConect always has to use that proxy no matter where anything lives? i am confused.... please enlighten me This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------6A7C6750A66874EBD6E2677A Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit If you remove the "proxy" connection property fro...

Proxy to proxy
Hi. We use BM 3.8 as a proxy server and the main task is to restrict which url's the users can use. In the network there is another proxy server with internet access. Is it possible to setup BM to use another proxy server to connect to internet? And if yes, how ? Magne Absolutely. Search under "Cache Hierarchy Client". Basically....enable the client on the BM box, add you upstream proxy (Neighbor Hostname) add the correct port for the type of upstream proxy, add the type of proxy, usually you can just leave the priority at "1". looks like this...

proxy to proxy
We will connect with our Bordermanager to an other proxy. but there is a syntax-problem our BM-Proxy will build the connection with(Trace) ....cyberbanking.bankkoop.ch:443/ HTTP/1.0..... but there should not be / according to RFC there is no "/" Slash allowed. Beat Brunner <<...cyberbanking.bankkoop.ch:443/ HTTP/1.0..... that has been fixed in the latest patches Gonzalo > <<...cyberbanking.bankkoop.ch:443/ HTTP/1.0..... > > that has been fixed in the latest patches > > Gonzalo > what do you meen with lastes patches ...

BorderManager Proxy Issue
If when using BorderManager 3.5 on NetWare 5.0 (fully patched) I place a proxy exception for a particular URL at both the server end and the client end, the Web Site does not function properly. By that I mean that the Web Site initially loads, a user enters the correct username/password and clicks login and the Web Site reloads the login page. If I place the exception for the Web Site at either the server end or the client end individually, the performance of the Web Site is equally terrible. This issue is specific to this Web Site only. hi, can you provide the URL?...

Bordermanager proxy configure
Hi! When I try to configure HTTP Proxy via iManager 2.7.2 I get error "Please enter an Integer between 1 and 65535", I saw something that this maybe an iManager error. I have tried the BorderManager Proxy forum but no luck. Any ideas? NetWare 6.5 SP8 BorderManager 3.9 SP1 /SP -- ste00pek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ste00pek, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved...

IFolder and BorderManager Proxy/SSO
The Ifolder client gets a "connection broken" on XP clients that are using the BorderManager HTTP Proxy server with Single Sign on enabled. Excluding the IFolder server from web caching does not seem to help. Appears to be related to single sign on. Removing the proxy setting from the browser allows the IFolder client to connect. IFolder is running on a NW6.5 SP2 server. The client works for me here, pointing to either my BM/iFolder server's private or public address. Is iFolder running on your BM server or elsewhere? Is iFolder configured to listen the iFol...

iManager BorderManager Proxy Settings
New BorderManager Server 3.9sp1 iManager 2.7 Time is in sync and there is a Read/Write replica on the server. I can only see the following pugins: Easy Filter Configuration Filter Maintenance Legacy Filter Configuration List All Firewall Policies VPN Services Where/How do I get the proxy plugin for its configuration? -- januismer ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Nevermind... Server needed a reboot (for whatever reason). -- januismer ------------------------------------------------------------------------ janu...

future of Bordermanager Proxy funcionality
Hi I'm wondering what the future of the proxy functionality in BM is, has there been any statement from Novell about migration path for this feature, will it remain, I hear that there will be a 4.9 but I wonder if there will ever be a 5.x especially given the fact that it is tied to netware and that seems to be out of favor in Walthom. So where should we look for a replacement to this feature, ichain!!!! Astaro!!!!! a combination of the two, or maybe there won't be a replacement and we have to go for squid. tia Agilulf, > I'm wondering what the future of...

Linux BorderManager Proxy Authentication
What is the best way to setup Linux for access using BorderManager? I have tried setting the SSL up (BorderManager Setup, Authentication, Check SSL). I also have just HTML Form chosen. On the client I have tried every combination I can think of to use the proxy server. If I set up the BorderManager server in the proxy with port 8080 I just get a "Access is denied because your are not logged in". If I go directly to it (via http://BMSERVER:443), all I get on the webpage is "Could not connect or Connection Broken". TLS is turned off (I have tried this with same res...

novellsearch authorization through bordermanager proxy?
How do I get the novellsearch server to work through a proxy server like bordermanager or others that require authentication for http access to the web? thanks. , > How do I get the novellsearch server to work through a proxy server like > bordermanager or others that require authentication for http access to the web? Not sure what you are asking for here? Do you want to get rid of the separate authentication to NSearch? - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Using VA ...

Slow BorderManager HTTP Proxy
--____HRYFNFOUBUDRSFQVIBFF____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 28 Jul 2006 01:15:25 +1000" We have BorderManager v3.8 SP4 installed on a Netware v6.5 SP5 server ... it acts as a Firewall, Proxy Cache. Configured with 2 nics - one public and one private. PROXY loads fine (no errors) and listens on 8080 on the private NIC - no authentication configured We have found that if we specify any workstation to use the Proxy then the initial request for a new site takes several minutes to respond. Once on that site ...

Bordermanager as server-side proxy?
Hi, before digging for several hours in the BM manuals and to avoid having done that for nothing, I'd like to check if the following is feasible with BM: I'd like to have my clients authenticate via an applet (which is an option in BM apparently), possibly in combination with a token, to the BM server. If they log on succesfully, a NAT-ted session for certain protocol should be allowed to certain internal servers. From what I gathered, this means setting the BM up in a reverse way. Is this do-able? thx! Bart I forgot to mention that these clients are lo...

Load bordermanager without proxy
Hi I am in the process of migrating services from an old BM server to a new BM 3.8 server. I have finished configuring the new proxy services on the BM 3.8 and they are working OK.!! I want to still (while I upgrade my mesh and the routing tables)load de VPN and filters on the BM on the old server, but I dont want the Proxy services on the old server because I need free resources on the old server. And the proxy services some times crashes my old service and I dont intend to do a troubleshooting on the old server. I want to concentrate my effort on configuring my ...

BorderManager Transparent Proxy issue
Good Morning, We have been experiencing issues with our Border Manager Transparent proxy configuration. We are having issues with redirect loops occurring only on Google.com front end server requests. We get 301 HTTP errors. The problem seems to be when our Web Content filter passes the packet off to our Border Manager server it causes the redirect loops. The only work arounds at this time we have discovered was to either use the search box of any web browser, or go to 'iGoogle' (http://www.google.com/ig) and then back to the classic Google Home. The other work around is t...

Web resources about - DNS UP - DNS DOWN - novell.bordermanager.proxies

Trump wants GOP shows him respect
USA TODAY Trump wants GOP shows him respect USA TODAY Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks during a rally aboard the aircraft ...

Federal authorities set to indict friend who bought guns for San Bernardino ...
Fox News Federal authorities set to indict friend who bought guns for San Bernardino ... Fox News Federal authorities are expected to bring ...

Lie-detecting software uses real court case data
By studying videos from high-stakes court cases, University of Michigan researchers are building unique lie-detecting software based on real-world ...

Yahoo's Mayer: From grocery store to Silicon Valley star
She is one of the biggest stars in Silicon Valley, but multimillionaire chief executive Marissa Mayer has her hands full trying to revive the ...

1 After Another, Chicago Police Videos Made Public
Under a national spotlight, Chicago releases video after video showing police encounters

'Straight Outta Compton' Director F. Gary Gray Reacts to SAG Award Nomination
Actors Ice Cube , O’Shea Jackson Jr , and director F. Gary Gray pose together at the Straight Outta Compton Celebration Lunch held at Chevalier ...

Alexander Skarsgard Unleashes His Wild Side in First Trailer for ‘The Legend of Tarzan’ – WATCH
The first trailer for the upcoming film The Legend of Tarzan has been released and teases glimpses of star Alexander Skarsgard’s muscled body ...

Uber riders jam to the Chainsmokers with world's coolest driver
Uber driver Jonathan likes to keep his rides interesting. So he invites his passengers to jam out to his favorite Chainsmokers song, "Roses." ...

Can The Toxicity Of Ted Cruz Actually Be Trumpf's GOP Insurance Policy?
At Trumpf's bund rally in South Carolina a few days ago, he Islamophobic remarks got most of the news. But did you miss that he also seems to ...

YouTube Rewind 2015 celebrates the year’s top videos
The year's almost over, and that means it is time for YouTube's year in review. YouTube is home to content covering all aspects of the year — ...