Cache volumes not filling

I have a Bordermanager 3.8 SP5 on Netware 6.5 SP6.

four cache volumes on four physical disks.
512 cache directories
separate volumes for sys and logs

Three of my cache volumes have filled to 560MB, one has filled to 850MB

As seen in the statistics below, BM has served 50GB of content in
4.5Million requests over a 12 day period (taken on the weekend, after
backup/log processing, that is why hot nodes are low.)

Maximum cache object size is 30MB for HTTP and FTP.

I have also included the cache statistics from option 64

Any ideas as to why the cache volumes are not filling?

Novell BorderManager FastCache Current Activity
Uptime: 11 days 18 hours 51 minutes
Connections in use: 2   Connections awaiting tear down: 1
Client connections: 1 Idle: 0   Server connections: 2 Idle: 0
Pending DNS lookups  TCP:      0   UDP:      0
Total DNS lookups    TCP:      0   UDP: 274815  Cached: 2499
Client connect attempts: 4596531  Failed: 73444  In progress: 17
          Succeeded new: 1631907  Succeeded existing: 2891163
       Total HTTP fills: 4540337 (0 this second  665 this minute)
     Filled from origin: 4245850  Thru a proxy: 0  Failed: 685307
      Fills in progress: 7
            Data Filled: 50,653,726,744 bytes
    Read ahead checks: 0 Fills: 0  Download requests: 0
    Total HTTP requests: 5868211 (0 this second  815 this minute)
   Requests in progress: 1
       Data transmitted: 49,217,002,973 bytes
Transmitted this second: 0 bytes
  Number of cache nodes: 56576  Hot: 15  Cold: 56561
Cache hits 28% Hot: 1635222 Cold: 132317 Fill waits: 0 Cache misses: 4469443
Processor utilization:   6%  Receive buffers: 1 of 13525
     Dirty Cache Buffers: 0 of 377195
Oldest cache buffer data: 3 days 8 hours 3 minutes 36 seconds

Cache Volume Usage
                        VOLUMES :   CACHE4   CACHE3   CACHE2   CACHE1
          volume number,  flags :    5, Act    4, Act    3, Act    2, Act
        block size in KiloBytes :         8         8         8         8
    volume total size in blocks :   4444022   4444534   4444534   4444534
configured free blks:-  minimum :    355521    355562    355562    355562
                         normal :    666603    666680    666680    666680
               initial freeblks :   4404134   4420735   4419413   4420355
   blks used by proxy @ startup :      6770      4570      4894      4914
Disk blocks available for cache :   4339627   4370365   4373900   4373679
Disk blocks available     total :   4339627   4370365   4373900   4373679
               freeable blocks  :         0         0         0         0

errors      noDiskSpace. other  :    0.   0    0.   0    0.   0    0.   0
cleanup       scheduled. called :    0.   0    0.   0    0.   0    0.   0
count-failWrite flagged. actual :    0.   0    0.   0    0.   0    0.   0
Purge?  NO.  count-   try purge :         0         0         0         0
count-        bypass disk cache :         0         0         0         0

Hot nodes                    15 :         7         2         2         4
    hot nodes in MRU list       :         3         1         1         3

Cold nodes                56561 :     14403     14417     13933     13808
     passThru_requests:46   passThru_abortBrowser:14
0
Daniel
3/4/2007 9:21:54 PM
novell.bordermanager.proxies 3217 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article
<pan.2007.03.04.21.21.53.831521@removethis.gmail.nsd.k12.mi.us>, Daniel
Griswold wrote:
> Any ideas as to why the cache volumes are not filling?

I'm guessing that you have something going out and purging your old
files?   Can you sort some of the directories and see what is the
oldest cached data in there?

Another idea - the bulk of your data is from a few video or audio
streams that are not being cached as separate files, if cached at all.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
3/5/2007 3:58:23 PM
The files range from 1/17/2006 to today. (1/17/2006 is about the time we
installed BM38SP5)

The bulk of our traffic is from images.google.com, tbn0.google.com, and
en.wikipedia.org.  All which should be cacheable.

We block most video and audio streams.

what other than a proxy -cc would clear the cache area?

These stats are pulled from Novell Remote Manager
CACHE1
Creation Time Range	Space In Use	File Count
Within Last Day		8,192		54
1 Day - 1 Week		111,074		11
1 Week - 2 Weeks	2,976,571	241
2 Weeks - 1 Month	148,495		25
1 Month - 2 Months	8,192		1
2 Months - 4 Months	0		0
4 Months - 6 Months	0		0
6 Months - 1 Year	21,933,807	945
1 Year - 2 Years	0		0
More than 2 Years	0		0

CACHE2
Creation Time Range	Space In Use	File Count
Within Last Day		2,715		108
1 Day - 1 Week		106,256		10
1 Week - 2 Weeks	2,807,261	212
2 Weeks - 1 Month	250,833		29
1 Month - 2 Months	0		0
2 Months - 4 Months	0		0
4 Months - 6 Months	0		0
6 Months - 1 Year	22,570,276	984
1 Year - 2 Years	0		0
More than 2 Years	0		0

CACHE4
Creation Time Range	Space In Use	File Count
Within Last Day		39,095,944	3,259
1 Day - 1 Week		304,752,816	6,682
1 Week - 2 Weeks	101,775,355	4,402
2 Weeks - 1 Month	466,185		27
1 Month - 2 Months	0		0
2 Months - 4 Months	0		0
4 Months - 6 Months	0		0
6 Months - 1 Year	32,681,714	975
1 Year - 2 Years	0		0
More than 2 Years	0		0

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:58:23 +0000, Craig Johnson wrote:

> In article
> <pan.2007.03.04.21.21.53.831521@removethis.gmail.nsd.k12.mi.us>, Daniel
> Griswold wrote:
>> Any ideas as to why the cache volumes are not filling?
>>
> I'm guessing that you have something going out and purging your old
> files?   Can you sort some of the directories and see what is the
> oldest cached data in there?
>
> Another idea - the bulk of your data is from a few video or audio
> streams that are not being cached as separate files, if cached at all.
>
> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Daniel
3/5/2007 8:27:58 PM
In article
<pan.2007.03.05.20.27.44.461440@removethis.gmail.nsd.k12.mi.us>, Daniel
Griswold wrote:
> The files range from 1/17/2006 to today. (1/17/2006 is about the time we
> installed BM38SP5)

In going back over the postings, I'm starting to wonder if your cached
data is actually 50GB, and the 560MB reporting is incorrect?

I can only think of three reasons for the values posted:

1. The cache volumes are actually full, but whatever tool you used reports
them incorrectly.  In this case, a good tool to use would probably be
MONITOR, for reporting cache volume stats.
2. The volumes aren't full, because the data being pulled in is actually
replacing the same files over and over.  (Maybe a stream would do this,
but it seems unlikely)
3. Some process is physically going out and deleing and purging old data.
This seems most unlikely, and would be some non-BMgr process.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig

Proxy Cache volume full
Hi, Im running BM3.8 SP4. I use 1 volume only for proxy cache. It should use the volume up to 95% and keep it, but after running BM for 6 day's i get: 11-14-2006 8:51:18 pm: COMN-3.22-38 [nmID=A0006] NSS-2.70-5003: NSS Volume EGBO01/PROXY1 almost out of disk space. 11-14-2006 8:59:13 pm: COMN-3.22-36 [nmID=A0004] NSS-2.70-5001: NSS Volume EGBO01/PROXY1 out of disk space. There are no deleted files using disk space. You may be low on disk space. Either add more disks, or delete some files After this BM stops working and i need to run u...

Cache volumes filling up FAST!!!
I have a BorderManager 3.7 server with SP1. The server has four cache volumes of 2 GB each. I have suballocation, compression, and migration turned off - 18 kb block size. Recently, the cache volumes started filling up at a rate of 15% - 25% a day. (There is a separate issue where the clean-up routine doesn't clean up...) Quick math... that's 2 GB of cache writes A DAY!!! There are only about 300 computers. I have enabled logging on HTTP proxy, and nothing stands out in the logs. Data transmitted and received doesn't show anything odd. Once the volumes...

Traditional volumes for proxy Cache
Netware 6.5. While using NRM to setup traditional netware volumes for cache, I don't see where to set the purge immediately attribute. Can this still be done on these types of volumes? Thanks -- shesser ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shesser, > Netware 6.5. > While using NRM to setup traditional netware volumes for cache, I don't > see where to set the purge immediately attribute. Can this still be > done on these types of volumes? From the NRM Home or Volumes screen, click on the attributes for t...

Proxy cache volume seems corrupted
Running NW6.5 sp05 and BM 3.8 SP2 Our site recently had virus issues on several PC's on network. Workstations are now clean, but 2 "Craig Johnson configured" cache volumes are over 90% used, according to NRM health monitor. The Cache1 volume is not accessible; Windows Explorer, C1, and NWAdmin all hang when attempting to interrogate the vol. The Cache2 volume is ok; 2 gig size / blksize 16kb / NW 5.0 DOS partition but only about 100MB free space. (Able to look via above tools) Also, within the last few hours logged the following error at hp Proliant IML screen:...

Proxy -cc does not clear cache volumes
NW65SP5 BM38SP4 BM38IR5 or IR3 Unload proxy and load proxy -cc does not clear cache volumes. Jumps right to the proxy load. In addition the Proxy Console screen option 17 does not function. I have seen this happen at two sites. Any thoughts? JoeK Joseph B. Kress wrote: > NW65SP5 > BM38SP4 > BM38IR5 or IR3 > > Unload proxy and load proxy -cc does not clear cache volumes. Jumps right > to the proxy load. yes, it does. In addition the Proxy Console screen option 17 does not > function. I have seen this happen at two sites. > ...

CACHE volume directroy fill up quickly
Hi, I am using netware 6.5 sp7 BoarderManger 3.9.1 we have two volumes for cache both have 8 GB space Following are configuration of BM CACHE AGING HTTP Maximum Revalidation Time: 7 HTTP Default Revalidation Time: 6 HTTP Minimum Revalidation Time: 0 FTP Revalidation Time: 7 GOPHER Revalidation Time: 7 HTTP Failed Request Caching Time: 0 Maximum HOT Unreferenced Time: 30 Maximum Cached File Size (MB) HTTP: 30 FTP: 30 Gopher: 30 Cache Hash Table Size: 0 K of Entries Maximum number of Hot Nodes: 7000 Cache Of Deleted Fil...

Proxy Cache Volume from NSS to NWFS
I'm having some BM proxy problems that may be related to the fact that I'm using an NSS volume for the cache. So, I will be deleting the NSS volume/pool/partition and recreating a new NWFS volume/partition in its place. My question is, do I need to restore the \ETC\PROXY\... directory structure on the new volume or will the proxy recreate that automatically? Thanks! Todd Todd, > I'm having some BM proxy problems that may be related to the fact that > I'm using an NSS volume for the cache. So, I will be deleting the NSS > volume/pool/partitio...

BorderManager 3.8 Cache Volumes
We are running Bordermanager 3.8 SP5 on a Netware 6.5 SP5 server. Is it safe to remove the long name space on the cache traditional volumes (4 of them) as per TID No: 3321740. <kevin.hunter@hillingdon.nhs.uk> wrote in message news:8Ekyh.1110$QP1.559@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > We are running Bordermanager 3.8 SP5 on a Netware 6.5 SP5 server. > Is it safe to remove the long name space on the cache traditional volumes > (4 of them) as per TID No: 3321740. Yes and recommended. Kevin, > We are running Bordermanager 3.8 SP5 on a Netware 6.5 SP5 serve...

BorderManager Proxy and Cache Performance and Tuning TID10018669
Hi, been going through the above TID10018669 and can't seem to find the following "Server Set Parameter" settings: 5.9. Additional SET parameters ****************************** SET TCP IP MAXIMUM SMALL ECBS = 512 - 65534 (1024 default) I don't think you really have to do that anymore, with TCP versions from the last few years. Craig Johnson Novell Support Connection SysOp *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com *** ...

Need to use SAN for proxy cache volume
I've read Craig's book, and seen warning after warning against using NSS storage for cache volumes. However, I don't recall seeing many arguments why you're not supposed to do it...other than "don't do it" and "BM was designed for low-level access to traditional volumes". All of the storage in this network is configured as NSS. We'd have to go buy new disks and configure them as traditional in order to do it by the book. (It was set up this way when we got here). We really need to use SAN storage for proxy caching--it's fast, there ...

Large file download fills proxy cache in BM3.7
I have a problem when downloading larger files our BM 3.7 SP3(>350MB) the proxy cache just fills up. It doesn�t seem like the cache is freeing up space quite quikly. The proxy cache lies on a separate scsi-disk on a new server. So the performance wouldn�t be an issue. Please help me out here. /Stefan The cache will automatically start deleting the oldest files when the cache volume is about 95% full. Have a look at tip #23 at the URL below. Craig Johnson Novell Support Connection SysOp *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on BorderManager, ...

Caching, Caching,Caching,Caching,Caching Why nobody know???
I have posted this problem quite a few times but never got a decent answer and I have still not found a solution. Every time I have a gridview when the page is refreshed the data in the gridview does not refresh. You might say well and GridView.DataBind() to the pageload method but I think there is a performance problem if you bind your gridviews every time. For example I have a dropdownlist, a gridview and button and the gridview is supposed to refresh depending on the value in the dropdown when the button is pushed. if you click on the button the gridview data does not change unless y...

cache volumes and dir cache buffers
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I have a nw6 server running bm3.7 with 4 8Gb cache volumes, with 64 = directories. I have max directory cache buffers set to 10,000, and the = server maxes out every couple weeks. The server has 4Gb of memory, what is = a good maximum setting for cache buffers? Should I change this configuratio= n?=20 Last performance TID I saw still did not recommend NSS volumes for cache, = is that still true?=20 Thanks for your help --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW___...

To cache or not to cache
It's a well known fact that it's a good practice to cache results of SQL queries. But here as everywhere we should limit ourselfs and not to cache everything, shouldn't we? ) For example, you know that in facebook you can enter information about yourself - first name, last name, all your schools, jobs and so on. This data changes very rarely. So, as books say this data is perfect to be cached. But, you see, there can be millions of users with there profiles in our cache. So.. to cache or not to cache? )  it is a good practice to use limited size content and low edit freque...

Web resources about - Cache volumes not filling - novell.bordermanager.proxies

Volume - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A measuring cup can be used to measure volumes of liquids . This cup measures volume in units of cups , fluid ounces , and millilitres . Volume ...

Amgen, Inc and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc Face Declining PCSK-9 Prescription Volumes
Bidness Etc evaluates declining prescription volumes for Amgen Inc. and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals.

Is the Oil Bottom In? Reflections on Value, Volume, Other Ideas
... monthly close dating all the way back to December 2003. Crude Monthly Chart click on any chart for sharper image Crude Daily Chart Volume ...

Mergers and acquisitions volumes in 2015 - Business Insider Deutschland
Wall Street firms' investment banking divisions had a huge year in 2015.

Bad Weather And High Package Volume Meant Late Deliveries For FedEx
... systems didn’t cope well with what it called “an unprecedented surge of last-minute e-commerce shipments.” Every year’s e-commerce volume is ...

Volume coming to PlayStation Vita in January
Thomas Was Alone creator Mike Bithell's stealth puzzle game Volume sneaking to PlayStation Vita on January 5, the developer announced today. ...

Coastal cafe by Haptic features cabin-shaped plywood volumes
Set under an old brick archway on the Kent coastline, this timber-lined cafe by Haptic takes its design cues from Scandinavian architecture and ...

TV panel shipments fall in November; China makers overtake Taiwan in volume, says WitsView
A total of 22.74 million LCD TV panels were shipped in November 2015, representing a 0.8% decrease compared with the prior month and a 2.2% increase ...

Droid Life Q&A Sessions: Volume 35
... ridiculous Carolina Panthers. As always, virtually everything is fair game. Given it’s a holiday week, we will post our answers for this volume ...

As Internet Gets Faster, Volume of DDoS Attacks Grows, Akamai Reports
Broadband speeds aren't the only thing on the rise. The volume of security risks are also increasing, says Akamai's 3Q15 State of the Internet ...