access to mail.live.com and mail.yahoo.com

I have an interesting issue.  Since just before Christmas I haven't been
able to open emails in hotmail or login to yahoo mail when going through
bordermanager proxy.

When I hit to internet directly, its fine.  I have tried the
following:

Cleared cache on my machine
cleared cache on bordermanager
running BM3.8 with latest support pack and updates.

The issue seems to be pointing to Java but I'm not sure.  I've tested a
few things with our ISP but still no go.

If anyone else is experiencing this and have a solution i would greatly
appreciate it.

--
mtaylor1979

mtaylor1979
1/6/2009 4:36:01 AM
novell.bordermanager.proxies 3217 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Any error messages, particularly BMgr error pages?

By latest patches, do you mean the ones listed in tip #1 at the URL
below?

Are you using my proxy.cfg file (tip #63)?

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
1/7/2009 5:31:29 PM
Hi Craig,

Here are the issues:

1. Login to hotmail ok, then when I click to open a message it just
keeps trying and gives up, the inbox stays open

2. With Yahoo when I try to log in it hangs with a white page for a
while and nothing happens.

Both seem to be related to Java, I have loaded the latest patches
advertised on your website. and using your proxy.cfg

Our ISP is sure its not their issue.  What is weird though is that we
have 2 BM servers and it happens on both.

I've tried firefox/IE/safari with no success.

mtaylor1979
mtaylor1979's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18154
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
mtaylor1979
1/8/2009 3:56:01 AM
sorry, we do eventually get an error in yahoo, see attached

|Filename: yahoo error.JPG                                             |
|Download: http://forums.novell.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2130   |

mtaylor1979
mtaylor1979's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18154
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
mtaylor1979
1/8/2009 4:06:02 AM
mtaylor1979;1711578 Wrote:
> sorry, we do eventually get an error in yahoo, see attached

one more thing, I have upgraded to BM 3.9 sp1, same issue.

--
mtaylor1979
mtaylor1979's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18154
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
mtaylor1979
1/8/2009 11:56:01 PM
Can you try a quick test with access rules not enforced to see if
things change?

I've seen some odd issues come up with access rules that did not allow
enough on some web pages with a lot of components building the final
page.  Access rules were blocking some of the components.  AOL web mail
was one such site.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
1/10/2009 6:50:04 AM
Thanks Craig, I just tried to untick enforce access rules and it hasn't
made any difference, if you have any other ideas I would be most
grateful.

mtaylor1979
mtaylor1979's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18154
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
mtaylor1979
1/10/2009 7:26:02 AM
Can you have a close look at the http common logs when hitting one of
the sites and see if there is a clue there?

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
1/12/2009 8:38:44 AM
Hi Craig,

Some interesting stuff in the logs,

Does this make any sense to you (attached)

cheers

|Filename: sample.txt                                                  |
|Download: http://forums.novell.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2152   |

mtaylor1979
mtaylor1979's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18154
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
mtaylor1979
1/12/2009 10:56:01 AM
In article <mtaylor1979.3lwcrb@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Mtaylor1979
wrote:
> Some interesting stuff in the logs,
>
> Does this make any sense to you (attached)

Oops - sorry for the very slow response!  I got busy working on a book
I'm writing and other projects and didn't realize I'd put off forum
work for so long!

A (very) quick look at the logs doesn't tell me what might be going on
there, except I wonder about the http 1.0 where it might be http 1.1
instead.

You used Firebox on this, correct?  Did you get an error message or
timeout at the end of that log?

I just logged into mail.yahoo.com without a problem using Firebox 3 and
NBM 3.9sp1.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
1/21/2009 7:34:48 PM
Hi Craig,

So could you say its definatly an ISP issue considering other servers
which have direct access to the internet work fine with it.

I've also even tried changing the public ip address of the BM servers
to see if the IP addresses are being blocked.

I'm really not sure what else to try on this one.  Our students come
back next week and I'm sure they are going to complain about no
hotmail.

Just to confirm I've tried the latest 3.8 with sp5 plus patches and 3.9
sp1 plus patches.  Along with your groovy proxy.cfg file.  Browsers are
IE 6.5, 7, Safari, Firefox 2 and 3

mtaylor1979
mtaylor1979's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18154
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
mtaylor1979
1/21/2009 9:16:01 PM
In article <mtaylor1979.3mdtgp@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Mtaylor1979
wrote:
> So could you say its definatly an ISP issue considering other servers
> which have direct access to the internet work fine with it.

No, it seems much more likely to me to be some proxy-related issue rather
than an ISP issue.

> I've also even tried changing the public ip address of the BM servers
> to see if the IP addresses are being blocked.
>
> I'm really not sure what else to try on this one.  Our students come
> back next week and I'm sure they are going to complain about no
> hotmail.
>
> Just to confirm I've tried the latest 3.8 with sp5 plus patches and 3.9
> sp1 plus patches.  Along with your groovy proxy.cfg file.  Browsers are
> IE 6.5, 7, Safari, Firefox 2 and 3

Can you take a wireshark trace and compare what the client is sending
with proxy to without proxy?

Why do you think it has anything to do with java?

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
1/21/2009 9:19:47 PM
I have just found the same issue here with Hotmail, although Yahoo mail
(at least Yahoo.ca) is not a problem.  Can LOGIN to Hotmail and can see
the message list, but messages won't open.  Also can not delete or
create new mail. Since those links are java script, I also suspected
some jave issue.  The Windows Live link in the top left does not show
the graphic with it, also couple other graphic boxes on the page ar just
red X's.

When I bypass the proxy, all works well.

Any one wlse see this also, or have more troubleshooting tips?

Colin.

--
chill
chill's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3568
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
chill
1/26/2009 6:56:02 PM
In article <chill.3mmwbb@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Chill wrote:
> . Since those links are java script, I also suspected
> some java issue.

There is an option in the proxy configuration (NWADMN32/iManager) for
killing java script in the proxy.  It is not enabled by default, and I
don't recommend enabling it either.  Check that and make sure it is
checked.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
1/27/2009 3:26:38 PM
I checked that out, tried the "Enable Java Aplet Stripping" option both
ways, but no change.  So then I dug some more and checked the URL of
that icon that wasn't displaying, and found that it was our LinkWall
(Connectotol - web site blocking) was blocking it.  So then I added an
exception for "hotmail.com"  and it now works OK.  So one of the recent
updates on the blocking list we subscribe to must have added in some
part of hotmail in one of the categories we have set to block.  Usually
you will see the Forbidden message, but since it was in the java script,
was just hanging.

Thanks for your reply Craig.

Colin.

--
chill
chill's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3568
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
chill
1/27/2009 9:26:01 PM
thats good news colin that you've found the resolution, I'm stilll
struggling though.  We've had consultants out to try and fix the issue
but they haven't found a resolution yet.

We use opendns.com to do a lot of our filtering.  I've bypassed them
though and tried other dns servers and the issue still remains.  We are
looking at possibly another proxy service as a test to see if BM is
actually causing the problem or if its something silly on our network.

BTW, I've tried java stripping too.

--
mtaylor1979
mtaylor1979's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18154
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
mtaylor1979
1/28/2009 11:36:02 AM
In article <mtaylor1979.3mq19z@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Mtaylor1979
wrote:
> thats good news colin that you've found the resolution, I'm stilll
> struggling though.  We've had consultants out to try and fix the issue
> but they haven't found a resolution yet.

I could remote in and have a look for you (as a consultant).

Are you having any issues with SSL in general, through the proxy?

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
1/28/2009 3:10:00 PM
It might be an option, could you send me your consultant rates?  We are
based in Australia, so you may have to look at the issue out of hours.
How would you connect?

mtaylor1979
mtaylor1979's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18154
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=355815

0
mtaylor1979
1/31/2009 12:36:03 PM
In article <mtaylor1979.3mvo20@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Mtaylor1979
wrote:
> It might be an option, could you send me your consultant rates?  We are
> based in Australia, so you may have to look at the issue out of hours.
> How would you connect?

Best to email me.  I work remotely most of the time, using a variety of
remote control methods.

Note that in a few hours from now (this is Sat. Morning Jan 31), I'm
starting a 3-week vacation so I'll be out of touch a lot of that time,
though I hope to have email at least some of the time next week.  (I'll
be in New Zealand for 4 days).

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig

SmtpClient , sending mails to @gamil.com or @yahoo.com or @anyOtherThing.com
i am creating a  SmtpClient as follows    Dim Client As New SmtpClient("mycompany.com")it work fine for all  ids end with  @mycompany.com  (i mean the To field) but it throws an exception  when i send mails to  ids ending with  @gamil.com or  @yahoo.com  or @anyOtherThing.comand the exception.message is  'Thread was being aborted.  how can i get escape  Check your SMTP server settings and check the SMTP server logs.  My guess is you're not allowed to forward outside your domain. JeffPlease: Don't for...

Reading e-mail in mail.yahoo.com
Name: Roberto Valarezo Product: Firefox Summary: Reading e-mail in mail.yahoo.com Comments: I received this message: Sorry, Bad Request. Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo!, try visiting the Yahoo! home page or look through a list of Yahoo!'s online services. Also, you may find what you're looking for if you try searching below. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/2...

Firefox, no access to yahoo anything beyond yahoo.com, mail, groups, etc
Name: Pamela Miller Email: milp04atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, no access to yahoo anything beyond yahoo.com, mail, groups, etc Comments: I have no access to my yahoo mail and groups when I upgraded to Firefox 3. Please put version 2 that was working back on your site until you fix the issues with version 3. PLEASE. I've tried accessing yahoo mail through other browsers and still no access. I think this problem occured when I uninstalled and reinstalled version 3 as suggested at your site. There are major problems with this version. Please ...

Problems with Yahoo mail beta (http://uk.f276.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Name: Luke Steven Driscoll Email: l_s_driscollatyahoodotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Problems with Yahoo mail beta (http://uk.f276.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=xxxxxxxxxxxxx) Comments: Error messages after login: "Yahoo! Mail experienced a login error: name:NS_ERROR_DOM_WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR message:Node cannot be used in a document other than the one in which it was created lineNumber:463" and "Yahoo! Mail experienced a login error: Login error: name:TypeError message:j is null lineNumber:648 fileName:http://mail.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/comb...

Bug for Yahoo.com mail access
Name: Ann Fowler Email: anndotfowleratsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Bug for Yahoo.com mail access Comments: I mistakenly updated to the latest Firefox. I don't like to be among the first to update because of the many bugs in new software. I can no longer access my Yahoo mail account because Firefox does not accept my password. It makes it appear that it's a Yahoo problem, but I tried it on Safari and was able to access it. I laughed at your instructions at what "I" should disable to fix it. No, the solution is to discontinue my use of Firefox. Y...

HELP ! imap.mail.netcenter.com is down for NS Mail access
Hello Netscape Mail friends, I use the Netscape email client since 5 years, recently updated to Netscape 7.2. I have a Netscape Mail account and use the IMAP mail server. But since 2 days it is inaccessible. I have had access problems before but it never took so a long time. My last downloaded email dated from 22.03.2006 14:05 (Middle European time). Since then i get always the error message: "Failed to connect to server imap.mail.netcenter.com" My account name as shown in the mail account settings is: Netscape Webmail - drjomabuse and my email adress is drjomabuse@netsca...

HELP ! imap.mail.netcenter.com is down for NS Mail access #2
Hello Netscape Mail friends, I use the Netscape email client since 5 years, recently updated to Netscape 7.2 and Windows XP SP2. I have a Netscape Mail account and use the IMAP mail server. But since 2 days it is inaccessible. I have had access problems before but it never took so a long time. My last downloaded email dated from 22.03.2006 14:05 (Middle European time). Since then i get always the error message: "Failed to connect to server imap.mail.netcenter.com" My account name as shown in the mail account settings is: Netscape Webmail - drjomabuse and my email adress...

can not enter live mail http://mail.live.com/default.aspx?&ip=10.1.106.208&d=d1476&mf=0&rru=inbox
Name: santi pauni Email: santipauniatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: can not enter live mail http://mail.live.com/default.aspx?&ip=10.1.106.208&d=d1476&mf=0&rru=inbox Comments: state says waiting for gfx6.hotmail.com Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

mail.live.com
Name: moritz Product: Minefield Summary: mail.live.com Comments: the page mail.live.com is not correct working. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007082602 Minefield/3.0a8pre ...

mail.yahoo.com
Name: Rainer Miksche Email: rmikscheatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: mail.yahoo.com Comments: If I'm wanting to work with yahoo mail for more than reading 3 messages or opening 3 - firefox has a fatal error and has to be closed. From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

mail.live.com
Name: FIREFOX 3 Email: bauma16athotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: mail.live.com Comments: Windows Live Hotmail isn't working with the 3th candidate: http://mail.live.com Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; de; rv:1.9b2) Gecko/2007121120 Firefox/3.0b2 ...

Yahoo.com mail
Name: Joe Product: Firefox Summary: Yahoo.com mail Comments: Will not load yahoo.com mail. Network Timeout The server at login.yahoo.com is taking too long to respond. https://login.yahoo.com/config/mail Works fine with IE and Safari Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.1b3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Mail.yahoo.com
Name: David Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Mail.yahoo.com Comments: every time i use mail.yahoo.com FF dies. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 2 - bug
Name: Mike Email: tawmjkatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 2 - bug - accessing mail.yahoo.com Comments: I get a set of errors accessing mail.yahoo.com, none of these happen when using Firefox 2. 1) Connecting to the site: Yahoo! Mail experienced a login error: name:NS_ERROR_DOM_WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR message:Node cannot be used in a document other than the one in which it was created lineNumber:463 2) Once that page is loaded: Yahoo! Mail experienced a login error: Login error: name:TypeError message:j is null line...

Web resources about - access to mail.live.com and mail.yahoo.com - novell.bordermanager.proxies

Random-access memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Random access memory ( RAM ) is a form of computer data storage . A random access device allows stored data to be accessed in any order in very ...

Windows Phone hacked! Unlock Lumia bootloader, get root access, flash custom ROMs
... as a new tool rocks the mobile community. Called "Windows Phone Internals", it allows Lumia owners to unlock their bootloaders, gain root access ...

Google can remotely give cops access to at least 74% of all Android devices
There’s a new interesting revelation in the debate on encryption that was reignited after the disastrous attacks on Paris in mid-November. According ...

Women Must Have Equal Access to Technology
... business savings from theft and increasing her control over spending. The Internet and mobile phones can dramatically increase a woman’s access ...

Yahoo won't let users with ad blockers access their email
If you're using an ad blocker, you might have some trouble accessing Yahoo Mail , Digiday reports. That's according to users on Twitter and ...

Paris attacks prompt focus on guns access in U.S.
Push on in Congress for bill denying firearms to known or suspected terrorists; similar measures stalled several years in a row

National Community Solar Partnership: 68 Cities, States, & Businesses To Expand Solar Access
... bring the benefits of solar out to a larger group of people, those in low- and moderate- income communities who wouldn’t otherwise have access ...

T-Mobile Opens LTE Gates, Gives Customers Unlimited Access For 3 Months
It used to be that mobile phone customers actually talked on our phones a lot, and carriers limited our minutes while giving us unlimited data ...

Here's how to access the Bloodborne: The Old Hunters DLC
Bloodborne , much like its predecessors, is a relatively esoteric game. Even simple things like locating a $20 DLC package can be hidden beneath ...

Amazon Prime will reportedly offer access to other video services
Normally, signing up for a streaming video service only gives you the content from that service, leaving you heading elsewhere when a TV network ...