DNS statistics show DNS servers are down

Using BM3.6 on Netware 4.11.  All patches current, SP9 for NW,
BM36SP2A and
C02 update.

Have 3 DNS server IP addresses in my resolv.cfg, 2 from SBC and 1 from

Cogent Co.  2nd (SBC) is in up state and 1st (SBC) and 3rd (Cognt CO)
show
down.
Yet a ping to each of the 3 addresses is successful 100 percent of the
time.
Was wondering what might be causing this and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
JIm Boettger

0
Jim
11/14/2003 7:20:45 PM
novell.bordermanager.install 3442 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Jim,

Have you checked if DNS (NAMED) is actually running on the "down"
servers. PING will see if the server is running, but won't tell you if

the service is actually up.

Cheers,
Ken

--
* Ken McLeod
* Technology Coordinator

0
Ken
11/14/2003 11:38:28 PM
According to SBC and Cogent these servers are up and running as
expected.

Jim

"Ken McLeod" <kenm@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jim,
>
> Have you checked if DNS (NAMED) is actually running on the "down"
> servers. PING will see if the server is running, but won't tell you
if
> the service is actually up.
>
> Cheers,
> Ken
>
> Jim Boettger wrote:
>
> > Have 3 DNS server IP addresses in my resolv.cfg, 2 from SBC and 1
from
> > Cogent Co.  2nd (SBC) is in up state and 1st (SBC) and 3rd (Cognt
CO)
show
> > down.
> > Yet a ping to each of the 3 addresses is successful 100 percent of
the
time.
> > Was wondering what might be causing this and how to fix it.
> >
> --
> * Ken McLeod
> * Technology Coordinator
> * THE DELPHIAN SCHOOL
> * 20950 SW Rock Creek Road
> * SHERIDAN, OR 97378
> * http://www.delphian.org

0
Jim
11/15/2003 4:39:41 PM
What version of TCPIP.NLM is running?

Are you using a stateful DNS exception?

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Craig
11/15/2003 6:31:47 PM
Modules TCPIP displays 5.32z dated August 30, 2000.  Is there a newer
TCPIP
nlm for Netware 4.11 and sp9?

As for your second question, I don't know.  How would I check?

Thanks for your assistance.

Jim Boettger

Is there a new
"Craig Johnson" <craigsj@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> What version of TCPIP.NLM is running?
>
> Are you using a stateful DNS exception?
>
> Craig Johnson
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
> BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***

0
Jim
11/17/2003 2:59:12 PM
In article <4n5ub.2309$I04.69@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Jim
Boettger
wrote:
> Modules TCPIP displays 5.32z dated August 30, 2000.  Is there a
newer TCPIP
> nlm for Netware 4.11 and sp9?

I'm not quite sure, but in any case, 5.32z should be OK.

> As for your second question, I don't know.  How would I check?

Look for a dns/udp-st exception in FILTCFG.

If you can leave the filters down for a while for a test, see if new
URL's
come up fine.  If so, it would indicate that perhaps you are having
some
issues with DNS queries in the current config.   Otherwise, we look
elsewhere.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***