2005-04-04 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

2005-04-04 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Present: bienvenu, josh, hecker, gerv, marcia, mscott, mitchell,
brendan, cbeard, myk, jay, rafael, dbaron, sarah, asa, chase, chofmann,
justdave.

*Firefox 1.0.3*

- Process started on Friday
- Two issues found; we had to respin for one of them
- Bryner fixed the Add/Remove Programs uninstall issue
- Found a regression Friday; more respins Saturday
- Trimmed down jst's drag-and-drop patch to avoid regressions
- More respins to come this afternoon, for more community testing
- With good feedback, tomorrow evening

*Mozilla Suite 1.7.7*

- Tied in with Firefox 1.0.3 process

*Thunderbird 1.0.3*

- No 1.0.3 because security issues are in JS which is not enabled by
   default
- No l10n in CVS so much harder work to do Thunderbird releases

*Firefox/Thunderbird 1.1*

- Freeze tomorrow night at midnight for 1.1 alpha (FF and TB) == Gecko
   1.8b2 (need to sort out naming)
- Want to ship in a week to ten days
- Need to get the messaging right; don't upgrade to this from 1.0
- Beta five weeks after that

- We have tinderboxen for all 34 Firefox source localisations.
- 31 build, 3 are broken.
- Thunderbird source l10n should be working by second beta

*Seamonkey Transition*

- They want to do a release around the same time as FF 1.1 alpha
- Seamonkey 1.0 alpha will be a trunk release, not a branch release

*New Newsgroups*

- Gerv to do another request for volunteers

*Visit to OSU*

- Chase and Dave visited OSU last week
- Met with the LUG on Friday evening for two and a half hours
- Dave talked about Bugzilla
- Chase talked about the release process for 1.0.3

*SpreadFirefox*

- Next big project for SpreadFirefox launches tomorrow night
- Relaunch of download counter
- Lots of ancillary tools - feeds, blog plugins etc.

Gerv
0
Gervase
4/7/2005 10:00:15 PM
netscape.mozilla.seamonkey 1248 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What's the big SFX project?

0
me
4/8/2005 3:42:40 PM
me at work wrote:
> What's the big SFX project?

counter syndication.

- A
0
Asa
4/8/2005 4:22:17 PM
Gervase Markham wrote:

> *Thunderbird 1.0.3*
>
> - No 1.0.3 because security issues are in JS which is not enabled by
>   default

Does this mean that I can (accidently) enable something in Thunderbird
and I am then vulnable ?

Thats a scary thought !!!

Best regards
henrik
0
Henrik
4/8/2005 6:16:19 PM
Gervase Markham said on 08.04.2005 00:00:
> 2005-04-04 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting
>
> *Firefox/Thunderbird 1.1*
>
> - Need to get the messaging right; don't upgrade to this from 1.0

So users *must* uninstall 1.0 before installing 1.1?

If so, I suspect many will just install right over 1.0 anyhow, and, if
things break badly, (rightfully) claim that 1.1 is broken.

I fear i might have misunderstood the blurb completely. :-\
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:   www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:          www.GetThunderbird.com

-=-=-
.... If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're
suffering it.
-=-=-
0
Peter
4/8/2005 8:45:23 PM
Peter Lairo wrote:
> Gervase Markham said on 08.04.2005 00:00:
>
>> 2005-04-04 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting
>>
>> *Firefox/Thunderbird 1.1*
>>
>> - Need to get the messaging right; don't upgrade to this from 1.0
>

> So users *must* uninstall 1.0 before installing 1.1?
>
> If so, I suspect many will just install right over 1.0 anyhow, and, if
> things break badly, (rightfully) claim that 1.1 is broken.
>
> I fear i might have misunderstood the blurb completely. :-\

I guess they shouldn't upgrade because it's an alpha version, not a  final.

Christian
0
Christian
4/8/2005 8:49:27 PM
_Peter Lairo_ spoke thusly:
> Gervase Markham said on 08.04.2005 00:00:
>
>>2005-04-04 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting
>>-------------------------------------------------
>>
>>*Firefox/Thunderbird 1.1*
>>
>>- Need to get the messaging right; don't upgrade to this from 1.0
>
> So users *must* uninstall 1.0 before installing 1.1?
>
> If so, I suspect many will just install right over 1.0 anyhow, and, if
> things break badly, (rightfully) claim that 1.1 is broken.
>
> I fear i might have misunderstood the blurb completely. :-\

I think what that means is mozilla.org must not give the impression that
1.0 user must upgrade to 1.1a, meaning it's not for end-users. (a
developer release)
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ should still direct users to
the latest 1.0.x release.

--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Email - 20050318@ilias.ca

>From reading Asa's blog post today about the road map for 1.1, they are
going to call this alpha version "Deer Park Developer Preview" so that
no non-testers download and use it.  They hope to not confuse the
population as they move forward with a non-tested release.  For more
info check out: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/

0
Tim
4/8/2005 11:51:23 PM
Chris Ilias said on 08.04.2005 23:15:
> _Peter Lairo_ spoke thusly:
>
>>Gervase Markham said on 08.04.2005 00:00:
>>

>>>2005-04-04 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting
>>>-------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>*Firefox/Thunderbird 1.1*
>>>
>>>- Need to get the messaging right; don't upgrade to this from 1.0
>>
>>So users *must* uninstall 1.0 before installing 1.1?
>>
>>If so, I suspect many will just install right over 1.0 anyhow, and, if
>>things break badly, (rightfully) claim that 1.1 is broken.
>>
>>I fear i might have misunderstood the blurb completely. :-\
>

> I think what that means is mozilla.org must not give the impression that
> 1.0 user must upgrade to 1.1a, meaning it's not for end-users. (a
> developer release)
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ should still direct users to
> the latest 1.0.x release.

Oh, so then:
   "don't upgrade to this from 1.0"
was a subset of:
   "Freeze tomorrow night at midnight for 1.1 alpha",
and not a *direct* subset of the title:
   "Firefox/Thunderbird 1.1" (1.1, not 1.1a)
as the bulleting structure (indentation) would indicate.

Sometimes i don't see the forest for the trees. Sorry.

--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:   www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:          www.GetThunderbird.com
0
Peter
4/9/2005 12:51:39 AM
On 2005-04-09, Peter Lairo <Peter@NOXXXSPAMLairo.com> wrote:
> Chris Ilias said on 08.04.2005 23:15:
[snip inappropriately selectively quoted minutes and Peter's
misinterpretation]

>> I think what that means is mozilla.org must not give the impression that
>> 1.0 user must upgrade to 1.1a, meaning it's not for end-users. (a
>> developer release)
>> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ should still direct users to
>> the latest 1.0.x release.
>
> Oh, so then:
>    "don't upgrade to this from 1.0"
> was a subset of:
>    "Freeze tomorrow night at midnight for 1.1 alpha",
> and not a *direct* subset of the title:
>    "Firefox/Thunderbird 1.1" (1.1, not 1.1a)
> as the bulleting structure (indentation) would indicate.

More or less - I wouldn't say it was a subset, more of a continuation of
the discussion of the previous points.

> Sometimes i don't see the forest for the trees. Sorry.

Actually I think the problem that you're looking at a couple of trees and
trying to understand the forest. :)

At this point, the discussion is naturally going to be about the progress
towards 1.1, rather than the 1.1. release itself.  You have to remember
that you're reading the minutes of a meeting (and the context and timing
of the meeting), rather than some kind of formal report or planning
document - the bullets within each discussion item often follow from each
other.

--
Michael
0
Peter Lairo wrote:
> Oh, so then:
>   "don't upgrade to this from 1.0"
> was a subset of:
>   "Freeze tomorrow night at midnight for 1.1 alpha",
> and not a *direct* subset of the title:
>   "Firefox/Thunderbird 1.1" (1.1, not 1.1a)
> as the bulleting structure (indentation) would indicate.

You are correct; sorry it wasn't more clear.

When 1.1 final comes out, we will be encouraging everyone to upgrade :-)

Gerv
0
Gervase