Firefox 1.0 + Thunderbird 1.0

Hi folks,

I got a mysterious problem here, when trying to run Firefox and
Thunderbird simutaneously:

If Firefox is started prior to Thunderbird everything seems to work O.K.
But in the opposite case I get a message box titled "Innotek Plugin!"
with the following text: "Counldn't find NSPR4.DLL. Probably
unsupported browser"

After pressong "O.K.", Firefox crashes like this:

01-01-2005  20:13:55  SYS3171  PID 0092  TID 0001  Slot 0073
C:\PROG\FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
c0000005
169ac777
P1=00000002  P2=0001fffc  P3=XXXXXXXX  P4=XXXXXXXX
EAX=169ac750  EBX=00000000  ECX=00000000  EDX=00319dc0
ESI=0031db20  EDI=00000000
DS=0053  DSACC=f0f3  DSLIM=ffffffff
ES=0053  ESACC=f0f3  ESLIM=ffffffff
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=005b:169ac777  CSACC=f0df  CSLIM=ffffffff
SS:ESP=0053:00020000  SSACC=f0f3  SSLIM=ffffffff
EBP=00020018  FLG=00012212

GKLAYOUT.DLL 0001:0024c777

Any ideas ?

--
Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
http://www.s-t.de

0
Ruediger
1/1/2005 7:26:08 PM
netscape.mozilla.os2 2075 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:26:08 UTC, "Ruediger Ihle" <NOSPAM_R.Ihle@S-t.De> wrote:

> I got a mysterious problem here, when trying to run Firefox and
> Thunderbird simutaneously:
>
> If Firefox is started prior to Thunderbird everything seems to work O.K.
> But in the opposite case I get a message box titled "Innotek Plugin!"
> with the following text: "Counldn't find NSPR4.DLL. Probably
> unsupported browser"
>
> After pressong "O.K.", Firefox crashes like this:
>[...]
> GKLAYOUT.DLL 0001:0024c777

Run Thunderbird with LIBPATHSTRICT set & Firefox without it.

--
== == almost usable email address:  rich AT e-vertise.com == ==

                |       New - Remote Workplace Server v0.60
Rich Walsh      |      interact with the WPS from any program
Ft Myers, FL    |       http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws060.zip
Rich
1/2/2005 4:18:41 AM
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 04:18:41 UTC, "Rich Walsh" <spamyourself@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Run Thunderbird with LIBPATHSTRICT set & Firefox without it.

Using this, together with BEGINLIBPATH does work. Of course, this kills
the whole idea of using DLLs.

Anyway, investigating a bit more, it looks like this: The reason for the crash
is Innotek's JAVA 1.4 plugin. Maybe it gets confused by the fact, that some
of the DLLs come from different locations, depending on which of the program
was loaded first.

--
Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
http://www.s-t.de
Please remove all characters left of the "R" in my email address

0
Ruediger
1/2/2005 9:36:57 AM
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 09:36:57 UTC, "Ruediger Ihle" <NOSPAM_R.Ihle@S-t.De> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 04:18:41 UTC, "Rich Walsh" <spamyourself@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> > Run Thunderbird with LIBPATHSTRICT set & Firefox without it.
>
> Using this, together with BEGINLIBPATH does work.

BEGINLIBPATH should *not* be needed, provided:
- there's a dot in LIBPATH, and
- the current drive & directory are set to the location of the exe.

Moz et al. were designed so they wouldn't require any special entries
provided these two simple requirements were met.

> Of course, this kills the whole idea of using DLLs.

The "idea" assumes that the DLLs are compatible with multiple apps.
In this case, it isn't so.

> Anyway, investigating a bit more, it looks like this: The reason for
> the crash is Innotek's JAVA 1.4 plugin. Maybe it gets confused by the
> fact, that some of the DLLs come from different locations, depending
> on which of the program was loaded first.

These Innotek products are known to have problems with LIBPATHSTRICT
(though I don't know why).  I've noticed that they do a certain amount
of screwing-around when gcc322 & libc05 are in \os2\dll that doesn't
happen when the dlls are in your Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird directory.
My guess is that this is either a workaround for LIBPATHSTRICT problems,
or a workaround for the bug in Warp v4.5 that lets you start one of
several Moz apps without LIBPATHSTRICT but get the same effect as if
you had used it (without the bug, you would have to start both Firefox
and Thunderbird with LIBPATHSTRICT).

--
== == almost usable email address:  rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

                |       New - Remote Workplace Server v0.60
Rich Walsh      |      interact with the WPS from any program
Ft Myers, FL    |       http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws060.zip
Rich
1/2/2005 10:45:57 PM
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:45:57 UTC, "Rich Walsh" <spamyourself@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> BEGINLIBPATH should *not* be needed, provided:
> - there's a dot in LIBPATH, and
> - the current drive & directory are set to the location of the exe.

You are right. BTW, I switched to your nice RUN! utility. Funny: a long
time ago we used a similar approach to add idle cycles to DOS
programs run in a VDM. We created a *.COM file named the same as
the EXE. The *.COM file would install a TSR that hooks the keyboard
interrupt before it starts the EXE and could so insert idle cycles when
excessive keyboard status polling is detected. And since *.COM is
preferred over *.EXE by COMMAND.COM / CMD.EXE, this was  (to
some degree) transparent to the user.

> The "idea" assumes that the DLLs are compatible with multiple apps.

Sure. Otherwise, I can link all in one executable and would most likely
even achive a faster load time.

> In this case, it isn't so.

And that's a bad thing.

--
Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
http://www.s-t.de
Please remove all characters left of the "R" in my email address

0
Ruediger
1/3/2005 5:04:58 AM
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 05:04:58 +0000 (UTC), Ruediger Ihle
<NOSPAM_R.Ihle@S-t.De> wrote:

>> The "idea" assumes that the DLLs are compatible with multiple apps.
>
> Sure. Otherwise, I can link all in one executable and would most likely
> even achive a faster load time.

Quite. If DLLs are not shareable, then there is absolutely no point in them
being DLLs in the first place. They should all be linked statically in to
the main application.

>> In this case, it isn't so.
>
> And that's a bad thing.

Definitely. If they were statically linked, all this crap with DLL conflicts
between Firefox and Thunderbird would immediately go away for ever.

So, the question that remains is: Why is this not done?
0
Paul
1/3/2005 11:50:32 AM
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:50:32 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

> Definitely. If they were statically linked, all this crap with DLL conflicts
> between Firefox and Thunderbird would immediately go away for ever.
>
> So, the question that remains is: Why is this not done?

If I remember correctly, TB+FF crash on startup if statically linked. Nobody
took the time to investigate why.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
On 3 Jan 2005 16:01:45 GMT, Peter Weilbacher <pweilba@gwdg.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:50:32 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
>
>> Definitely. If they were statically linked, all this crap with DLL conflicts
>> between Firefox and Thunderbird would immediately go away for ever.
>>
>> So, the question that remains is: Why is this not done?
>
> If I remember correctly, TB+FF crash on startup if statically linked. Nobody
> took the time to investigate why.

How utterly bizarre. They seem to spend plenty of pointless time
working on how to make things co-exist badly.
I'd have thought it much easier to debug a single .EXE than a .EXE and a
whole load of DLLs.
0
Paul

Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.1 Cancelled, Firefox and Thunderbird 1.0.2 Coming
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.1 Cancelled, Firefox and Thunderbird 1.0.2 Coming http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=6247 ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Asa Dotzler has announced that Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.1 has been cancelled and Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2 and Thunderbird 1.0.2 releases are on the way. Asa explains, "We shipped the security update for Firefox 1.0 three weeks ago with the intention of shipping the Thunderbird and Mozilla Suite upates soon after. Well, just as we we...

Mozilla 1.7/1.8a2, Thunderbird 0.6/0.7, Firefox 0.9 and Impos/2 2.1
All recent builds (Mozilla 1.7/1.8a2, Thunderbird 0.6/0.7, Firefox 0.9) crash Impos/2 2.1 as soon they are started, or the other way round (Impos/2 started afterwards) 06-22-2004 22:38:55 SYS3175 PID 002d TID 0001 Slot 006e D:\IMPOS21\IMPOS.EXE c0000005 00069d94 P1=00000001 P2=0000000d P3=XXXXXXXX P4=XXXXXXXX EAX=00000001 EBX=1c865dec ECX=1c86866c EDX=00000004 ESI=1c865dec EDI=1c87ef80 DS=0053 DSACC=d0f3 DSLIM=7fffffff ES=0053 ESACC=d0f3 ESLIM=7fffffff FS=150b FSACC=00f3 FSLIM=00000030 GS=2b43 GSACC=10f3 GSLIM=00003fff CS:EIP=005b:00069d94 CSACC=d0df CSL...

Firefox 1.5.0.9, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 Security & Stability Updates
As part of Mozilla Corporation�s ongoing stability and security update process, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 are now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux for free download from getfirefox.com (http://www.getfirefox.com) & getthunderbird.com (http://www.getthunderbird.com). We strongly recommend that all Firefox users upgrade to this latest release. This update is available immediately in 41 languages including Spanish, Japanese, Arabic, Hungarian and more. Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until Apr...

Firefox 1.5.0.9, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 Security & Stability Updates
As part of Mozilla Corporation�s ongoing stability and security update process, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 are now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux for free download from getfirefox.com (http://www.getfirefox.com) & getthunderbird.com (http://www.getthunderbird.com). We strongly recommend that all Firefox users upgrade to this latest release. This update is available immediately in 41 languages including Spanish, Japanese, Arabic, Hungarian and more. Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until Apr...

Mozilla Firefox up to 1.0.6 and Mozilla Thunderbird up to 1.0 url string obfuscation

upgrading from firefox 1.0 to firefox 1.0.1
followup to grc.techtalk upgrading from firefox 1.0 to firefox 1.0.1 http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007689.html ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Steps for upgrading from Firefox 1.0 to Firefox 1.0.1 Automatic Update (Windows only) Windows users 1. Before beginning the update, be sure to complete any work you're doing in Firefox 1.0 and close any extra tabs or windows you may have open. 2. If you see a small red icon update icon on the right end of your menub...

Problem with some links since upgrade Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1
Name: Nick Product: Firefox Summary: Problem with some links since upgrade Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 Comments: Hi, I encountered some problem to click links that i used to be able to click with the previous Firefox, i paste a link to let you experience it too http://shop33455054.taobao.com/?catId=39839020&queryType=cat&categoryName=%C8%AB%B3%A1175%D4%AA+C1RCA&browseType=#pagebar as you can see the sub-categories can't be browsed (talking about the menu on the left side) i tried again with the pr...

Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 and Firefox 2.0.0.1 release tomorrow (Tuesday 12/19)
We are on track for releasing Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 and Firefox 2.0.0.1 tomorrow. The plan is: 1. Push the bits out to the mirrors Monday night 2. Make mozilla.com website changes and downloads live at 10am Tuesday morning 3. Updates will go live between 4 - 5pm Tuesday evening QA will be doing their live spot checks and update testing during that time... and hopefully everyone will start getting their updates as early Christmas presents by tomorrow night. - Jay Jay Patel wrote: > We are on track for releasing Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 and Firefox ...

Never experienced so many crashes as with version Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1
Name: Kåre Nilsen Email: kaanil3atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Never experienced so many crashes as with version Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 Comments: Forefox which used to be so stable and a dream to use has become a nightmare to use for me! Unfortunately I downloaded and installed the above mentioned version, and I strongly regret it! It crashes daily! This version must be so full of bugs that it is very surprising that you folks even dared to release this version. I am definitely going back to ei...

Russian Firefox 1.0 PR, Thunderbird 0.8 and Mozilla 1.7.3
Firefox 1.0 PR Windows installer: http://mozilla.ru/unghost/firefox/0.10_Official/Firefox-1.0PR-win32-installer-ruRU.exe Thunderbird 0.8 Windows installer: http://mozilla.ru/unghost/thunderbird/0.8/Thunderbird-0.8-win32-installer-ruRU.exe Mozilla 1.7.3 Windows installer: http://lakostis.elektrostal.ru/mozilla.ru/new/mozilla-1.7.4-win32-installer-ru-RU-0.1.exe MLP-staff: Could you upload these files to ftp.mozilla.org? Thank you in advance. -- Sincerely yours, Alexander L. Slovesnik a.k.a. Unghost ==>Web-page: http://mozilla.ru/unghost/ ==>Jabber ID: als@mozi...

stalled transfer Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060425 SUSE/1.5.0.3-7 Firefox/1.5.0.3
I experience stalled or no download of all (not only specific web-sites) using firefox while another browser "Konquereor" is working normally. Firefox is looking up.. connecting... transferring and then stalled sometimes I get the message "I cant find the server", surprisingly because the status shows transferring, or a login window for the router shows up what has not been seen with the other web browser. A second Linux PC in the network is working as supposed, the router is wide open... connection settings are already checked. May be anybody has a hint? ...

stalled or no download: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060425 SUSE/1.5.0.3-7 Firefox/1.5.0.3
I experience stalled or no download of all (not only specific web-sites) using firefox while another browser "Konquereor" is working normally. Firefox is looking up.. connecting... transfering and then stalled sometimes I get the message "I cant find the server", suprisingly because the status shows transfering, or a login window for the router shows up what has not been seen with the other web browser. A second Linux PC in the network is working as supposed, the router is wide open... connection settings are alredy checked. May be anybody has a hint? Ber...

Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 and Firefox 2.0.0.1 update... release date pushed out to Tue. 12/19
We have final candidate builds and are wrapping up QA, but will not be able to hit the original release date... the new tentative release date for Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 and Firefox 2.0.0.1 is *Tuesday, December 19*. More info about the release can be found at http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.9-2.0.0.1:Community Thanks! - Jay Jay Patel napsal: > We have final candidate builds and are wrapping up QA, but will not be > able to hit the original release date... the new tentative release date > for Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 and Firefox 2.0.0.1 is *Tue...

Firefox 0.9.2, Thunderbird 0.7.2, Mozilla 1.7.1 Coming Soon
Firefox 0.9.2, Thunderbird 0.7.2, Mozilla 1.7.1 Coming Soon http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4960 Branches have been created for three of mozilla.org's latest releases, in order to fix an external windows protocol handler bug. The fix involves disabling the shell: protocol handler, which was found to enable pages to run executables on Windows via a link. Builds should officially be available shortly, and there will also be an XPI offered to disable the pref. Alternatively, you can set the pref "network.protocol-handler.external.shell" in about:conf...

Web resources about - Firefox 1.0 + Thunderbird 1.0 - netscape.mozilla.os2

Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control and shaping the future of the web for the public ...

Mozilla Thunderbird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
open source , cross-platform email and news client developed by the Mozilla Foundation . The project strategy is modeled after Mozilla Firefox ...

Edit Logo - Thunderbird - CrunchBase Product Profile
TechCrunch CrunchBase More TechCrunch Europe TechCrunch France TechCrunch Japan Register - Login or Advanced Search Home > Products > Thunderbird ...

bixi-bicycle-20120208-thunderbird-toronto-workweek-010.jpg - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore roland's photos on Flickr. roland has uploaded 143376 photos to Flickr.

Thunderbirds Are Go - Introducing The World - YouTube
The world of Thunderbirds Are Go, Tracy Island, miniature sets and craft have been lovingly made by none other than WETA Workshop - the model ...

Thunderbirds are go: First pictures of TV remake
The first images of the upcoming TV reboot of the iconic series Thunderbirds have been released, recasting the iconic puppets from the 1960s ...

Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson dies aged 83
... puppet TV shows Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90 died in his sleep, his son announces. Gerry Anderson, best known as the creator of Thunderbirds ...

Firebirds hold nerve to hold out Thunderbirds
It was another close shave but Queensland Firebirds coach Roselee Jencke was happy for her side to take a second straight win.

Melbourne Cup: Thunderbird One - the last of the dreamers
Francis Finnegan admits it's a bit of a worry that Thunderbird One, the horse he and wife Samantha took on as a baby and love to bits, has been ...

Southerners steal last-gasp draw against Thunderbirds
Southern Steel stole a 53-53 draw in the chaotic final seconds of their trans-Tasman netball league clash against Adelaide Thunderbirds.