When is "close" not really "close"

I've had a strange thing occur a couple of times.

When I leave at night, I leave my computer on, but close Thunderbird.
That way, I can VPN in from home and view the mail store, but still
access e-mail through POP3.

One night, a week or so ago, I checked POP3 from home and noticed the
mailbox was empty.  That's impossible; I get about 500 messages a day.
So, I took control of my desktop session and looked around.  Thunderbird
was not visible, but it was still running in the background.

I have since determined that if I close it with the "X" icon at upper
right, Thunderbird apparently does not actually close: it minimizes.  Is
this the intended behavior?  I've had to start using Alt-F4 or Ctrl-Q to
make sure it closes.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts wrote:
> I've had a strange thing occur a couple of times.
>
> When I leave at night, I leave my computer on, but close Thunderbird.
> That way, I can VPN in from home and view the mail store, but still
> access e-mail through POP3.
>
> One night, a week or so ago, I checked POP3 from home and noticed the
> mailbox was empty.  That's impossible; I get about 500 messages a day.
> So, I took control of my desktop session and looked around.  Thunderbird
> was not visible, but it was still running in the background.
>
> I have since determined that if I close it with the "X" icon at upper
> right, Thunderbird apparently does not actually close: it minimizes.  Is
> this the intended behavior?  I've had to start using Alt-F4 or Ctrl-Q to
> make sure it closes.

The red [X] at upper right is actally "Close Window" (same as "File ->
Close" which is not the same as "File -> Exit"). If you have another
Thunderbird window open (e.g., because earlier you unwittingly
double-clicked a "folder" in the left pane thus creating an additional
"main window"; or maybe there's an "Options" or "Extensions" window that
you forgot to close, a message which you forgot to send after writing or
to close after reading), then Thunderbird is still running. OTOH, Ctrl+Q
or "File -> Exit" close all of Thunderbird, however many windows may be
open at the time.

Also, if, trying to hit the red [X], you miss it by about three quarters
of an inch and click the [_] button by mistake, then of course TB will
minimize, thinking that that was what you wanted. ;-)

Best regards,
Tony.
0
Tony
5/27/2005 11:01:31 PM
Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net> wrote in

> Tim Roberts wrote:
>> I've had a strange thing occur a couple of times.
>>
>> When I leave at night, I leave my computer on, but close Thunderbird.
>> That way, I can VPN in from home and view the mail store, but still
>> access e-mail through POP3.
>>
>> One night, a week or so ago, I checked POP3 from home and noticed the
>> mailbox was empty.  That's impossible; I get about 500 messages a
>> day. So, I took control of my desktop session and looked around.
>> Thunderbird was not visible, but it was still running in the
>> background.
>>
>> I have since determined that if I close it with the "X" icon at upper
>> right, Thunderbird apparently does not actually close: it minimizes.
>> Is this the intended behavior?  I've had to start using Alt-F4 or
>> Ctrl-Q to make sure it closes.
>
> The red [X] at upper right is actally "Close Window" (same as "File ->
> Close" which is not the same as "File -> Exit"). If you have another
> Thunderbird window open (e.g., because earlier you unwittingly
> double-clicked a "folder" in the left pane thus creating an additional
> "main window"; or maybe there's an "Options" or "Extensions" window
> that you forgot to close, a message which you forgot to send after
> writing or to close after reading), then Thunderbird is still running.
> OTOH, Ctrl+Q or "File -> Exit" close all of Thunderbird, however many
> windows may be open at the time.
>
> Also, if, trying to hit the red [X], you miss it by about three
> quarters of an inch and click the [_] button by mistake, then of
> course TB will minimize, thinking that that was what you wanted. ;-)

Leaving the calender extension running will also leave the program running.
And sometimes it just sticks on closing due to an OS glitch.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

MITCHELL! Even his name says, "Uh, is that a beer?"
0
Christopher