Thunderbird, Mozilla and news

Hi all

I've been using Thunderbird quite happily for mail for a while now and
thought I'd move away from using slrn on a remote box to using
Thunderbird for news use. However, neither Thunderbird 0.5 nor 0.7 want
to connect to a news server for me.

I've tried news.ntlworld.com (my ISP's news server) and
news.individual.net (which needs a username and password which is what I
use normally [and what this is posted via]) but neither want to work...
upon trying to 'Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions' it just sits there
saying "Please wait...". This is, as I say, for two news servers and two
Thunderbird versions.

To see if it was something more fundamentally wrong, I downloaded
Mozilla (since I've been told that Mozilla is 'more mature' than
Thunderbird). Accessing the mail and news section in that works
perfectly... I can subscribe to the newsgroups no problem, so it's not a
problem with my computer as such (Windows XP Pro).

Does anyone have any ideas why Thunderbird's refusing to access any
news servers at all please? In the meantime I can use Mozilla's one but
I'd love to know why the news just isn't working in Thunderbird. Is it
somethign in my profile somewhere?

Many thanks

Peter (UK, if it makes any difference!)

<><
0
peter
6/27/2004 5:40:11 PM
netscape.mozilla.mail-news 6068 articles. 0 followers. Follow

How odd; somebody asked me exactly the same thing just the other day :-P

Peter Scandrett wrote:

[...]

> Thunderbird for news use. However, neither Thunderbird 0.5 nor 0.7 want
> to connect to a news server for me.
>
> I've tried news.ntlworld.com (my ISP's news server) and
> news.individual.net (which needs a username and password which is what I
> use normally [and what this is posted via]) but neither want to work...
> upon trying to 'Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions' it just sits there
> saying "Please wait...". This is, as I say, for two news servers and two
> Thunderbird versions.

I know nothing about news servers requiring authentication but vaguely
remember hearing about people with problems with this. Best to get the
one not requiring authentication working first.

[...]

> Does anyone have any ideas why Thunderbird's refusing to access any
> news servers at all please? In the meantime I can use Mozilla's one but
> I'd love to know why the news just isn't working in Thunderbird. Is it
> somethign in my profile somewhere?

Sounds like it to me. Try closing Thunderbird, renaming
%APPDATA%\Thunderbird and setting Thunderbird up just for news again.
AFAIK you can quit Thunderbird, rename it back and you'll get everything
back as it was before if it doesn't work (mind POP3 downloads though;
hence do news only).

Robie.
0
Robie
6/28/2004 4:01:59 PM
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:01:59 +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
> How odd; somebody asked me exactly the same thing just the other day :-P

:-p

You weren't as helpful then, though, were you?!

Curiously, and rather confusingly, it's decided to start working again.
It might have (oddly) had something to do with my imap email server's
DNS being down over the weekend. It shouldn't have done, but it seems
like it did :-)

Odd. Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Peter

<><