Mail pseudo-error - "Message Sent" + "Message Failed"

In a brand new XP system with Netscape 7.1, sending mail (not news) 
results in the "delivering mail" window, followed soon after by a window 
  headed "Send Message Error" with text "Sending of Message Failed" 
followed by an indication that the SMTP server refused to handle it.
BUT THE MESSAGE *IS* sent successfully! The "delivering message" window 
ends up saying "Mail sent successfully", with the progress bar still 
moving because the error message is still there.

Closing the error message window closes the "delivering" window also. 
The message never goes into the "sent" folder, and closing the 
composition window gives the "message has not been sent" msg, etc.

I've seen other messages referring to this problem, but have not been 
able to find any answers.

Thank you.

NN

0
NewsName
1/27/2004 4:41:07 AM
netscape.mozilla.mail-news 6068 articles. 0 followers. Follow

13 Replies
1007 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 20

NewsName wrote:
> In a brand new XP system with Netscape 7.1, sending mail (not news) 
> results in the "delivering mail" window, followed soon after by a window 
>   headed "Send Message Error" with text "Sending of Message Failed" 
> followed by an indication that the SMTP server refused to handle it.
> BUT THE MESSAGE *IS* sent successfully! The "delivering message" window 
> ends up saying "Mail sent successfully", with the progress bar still 
> moving because the error message is still there.
> 
> Closing the error message window closes the "delivering" window also. 
> The message never goes into the "sent" folder, and closing the 
> composition window gives the "message has not been sent" msg, etc.

I'm interested in seeing what is going on here. So I ask you to log the
communication when this error happens. See
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews/mail-troubleshoot.html#smtp for
how to do.

Christian
0
Christian
1/27/2004 11:19:05 AM
Christian Eyrich <VJBDONFBFOPG@spammotel.com> wrote in message news:<bv5hfd$okoj2$1@ID-205057.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> NewsName wrote:
> > In a brand new XP system with Netscape 7.1, sending mail (not news) 
> > results in the "delivering mail" window, followed soon after by a window 
> >   headed "Send Message Error" with text "Sending of Message Failed" 
> > followed by an indication that the SMTP server refused to handle it.
> > BUT THE MESSAGE *IS* sent successfully! The "delivering message" window 
> > ends up saying "Mail sent successfully", with the progress bar still 
> > moving because the error message is still there.
> > 
> > Closing the error message window closes the "delivering" window also. 
> > The message never goes into the "sent" folder, and closing the 
> > composition window gives the "message has not been sent" msg, etc.
> 
> I'm interested in seeing what is going on here. So I ask you to log the
> communication when this error happens. See
> http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews/mail-troubleshoot.html#smtp for
> how to do.

Sorry to butt in, but I'm having the exact same error. NS7.1, XPHome,
NAV2004 (latter upgraded, then disabled, in attempt to address this
problem - no effect). DSL through a basic Netgear router using DHCP.
Router has static IP.

The messages do make it to the recipient, and the progress bar in the
background sometimes even shows "message sent". But the error dialog
says that the send failed b/c connecting to the SMTP server failed,
and the message does not copy to the sent folder.

I've created a new profile and the error occurs there as well. ISP
(SBC) claims innocence & I'm able to ping the server while the errors
are happening - and again, the msgs do go through.

Problem first occurred with flaky news postings, and moved to email,
though I don't know if the two are related. It's intermittent (up till
today anyway). Up till a few weeks ago I did have two identical SMTP
servers listed for some reason (only one set as default) and removed
one of them, though probs occurred before that. Attempts at
work-arounds: created new SMTP servers, edited the default one,
specified SMTP server for each mail account both by name and by
checking "use default", created a duplicate server & set it as
default. Several of these changes I did both through the standard
dialogs and through edits to prefs.js just to see if that
worked...none of these has helped.

Log file from one msg follows, appreciate any comments!

-Tad

0[264180]: SMTP Connecting to: mail.pacbell.net
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 220 mtaw6.prodigy.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10
close 1msg/rcpt/8.12.10; Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:16:33 -0800 (PST)
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 14
0[264180]: SMTP Send: EHLO pacbell.net

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-mtaw6.prodigy.net Hello
adsl-216-102-69-42.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net [216.102.69.42], pleased to
meet you
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-PIPELINING
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-8BITMIME
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-SIZE 10240000
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-DSN
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-DELIVERBY
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 HELP
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 15
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 21
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 4
0[264180]: SMTP Send: MAIL FROM:<tadborek@pacbell.net>

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.0 <tadborek@pacbell.net>... Sender
ok
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 6
0[264180]: SMTP Send: RCPT TO:<borekfm@pacbell.net>

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.5 <borekfm@pacbell.net>... Recipient
ok
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 7
0[264180]: SMTP Send: DATA

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by
itself
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 8
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 9
0[264180]: SMTP Send: 

..

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 2.0.0 i13JGX67010546 Message accepted
for delivery
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 10
0[264180]: SMTP Send: QUIT

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP connection dropped after 500 total bytes read
0
borekfm
2/3/2004 7:44:27 PM
I am seeing this exact same problem on Netscape 7.1, Win2K.  It started 
happening about a week ago.  I have used netscape mail for years without 
this happening.  As far as I know, I have not changed anything.

I have 2 mail accounts set up and it does it on both.  I keep sending 
people messages multiple times because I get fooled my the bogus message.

Anyone have any theories as to what is happening here?

Thanks,
-Danny

Tad Borek wrote:
> Christian Eyrich <VJBDONFBFOPG@spammotel.com> wrote in message news:<bv5hfd$okoj2$1@ID-205057.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> 
>>NewsName wrote:
>>
>>>In a brand new XP system with Netscape 7.1, sending mail (not news) 
>>>results in the "delivering mail" window, followed soon after by a window 
>>>  headed "Send Message Error" with text "Sending of Message Failed" 
>>>followed by an indication that the SMTP server refused to handle it.
>>>BUT THE MESSAGE *IS* sent successfully! The "delivering message" window 
>>>ends up saying "Mail sent successfully", with the progress bar still 
>>>moving because the error message is still there.
>>>
>>>Closing the error message window closes the "delivering" window also. 
>>>The message never goes into the "sent" folder, and closing the 
>>>composition window gives the "message has not been sent" msg, etc.
>>
>>I'm interested in seeing what is going on here. So I ask you to log the
>>communication when this error happens. See
>>http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews/mail-troubleshoot.html#smtp for
>>how to do.
> 
> 
> Sorry to butt in, but I'm having the exact same error. NS7.1, XPHome,
> NAV2004 (latter upgraded, then disabled, in attempt to address this
> problem - no effect). DSL through a basic Netgear router using DHCP.
> Router has static IP.
> 
> The messages do make it to the recipient, and the progress bar in the
> background sometimes even shows "message sent". But the error dialog
> says that the send failed b/c connecting to the SMTP server failed,
> and the message does not copy to the sent folder.
> 
> I've created a new profile and the error occurs there as well. ISP
> (SBC) claims innocence & I'm able to ping the server while the errors
> are happening - and again, the msgs do go through.
> 
> Problem first occurred with flaky news postings, and moved to email,
> though I don't know if the two are related. It's intermittent (up till
> today anyway). Up till a few weeks ago I did have two identical SMTP
> servers listed for some reason (only one set as default) and removed
> one of them, though probs occurred before that. Attempts at
> work-arounds: created new SMTP servers, edited the default one,
> specified SMTP server for each mail account both by name and by
> checking "use default", created a duplicate server & set it as
> default. Several of these changes I did both through the standard
> dialogs and through edits to prefs.js just to see if that
> worked...none of these has helped.
> 
> Log file from one msg follows, appreciate any comments!
> 
> -Tad
> 
> 0[264180]: SMTP Connecting to: mail.pacbell.net
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 220 mtaw6.prodigy.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10
> close 1msg/rcpt/8.12.10; Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:16:33 -0800 (PST)
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 14
> 0[264180]: SMTP Send: EHLO pacbell.net
> 
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-mtaw6.prodigy.net Hello
> adsl-216-102-69-42.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net [216.102.69.42], pleased to
> meet you
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-PIPELINING
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-8BITMIME
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-SIZE 10240000
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-DSN
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-DELIVERBY
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 HELP
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 15
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 21
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 4
> 0[264180]: SMTP Send: MAIL FROM:<tadborek@pacbell.net>
> 
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.0 <tadborek@pacbell.net>... Sender
> ok
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 6
> 0[264180]: SMTP Send: RCPT TO:<borekfm@pacbell.net>
> 
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.5 <borekfm@pacbell.net>... Recipient
> ok
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 7
> 0[264180]: SMTP Send: DATA
> 
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by
> itself
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 8
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 9
> 0[264180]: SMTP Send: 
> 
> .
> 
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 2.0.0 i13JGX67010546 Message accepted
> for delivery
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 10
> 0[264180]: SMTP Send: QUIT
> 
> 0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
> 0[264180]: SMTP connection dropped after 500 total bytes read

0
Danny
2/5/2004 7:44:03 AM
On 3 Feb 2004 11:44:27 -0800,
borekfm@pacbell.net (Tad Borek) wrote:

>Sorry to butt in, but I'm having the exact same error. NS7.1, XPHome,
>NAV2004 (latter upgraded, then disabled, in attempt to address this
>problem - no effect). DSL through a basic Netgear router using DHCP.
>Router has static IP.
>
>The messages do make it to the recipient, and the progress bar in the
>background sometimes even shows "message sent". But the error dialog
>says that the send failed b/c connecting to the SMTP server failed,
>and the message does not copy to the sent folder.
>
>I've created a new profile and the error occurs there as well. ISP
>(SBC) claims innocence & I'm able to ping the server while the errors
>are happening - and again, the msgs do go through.

I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.

What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.

(I discovered this behavior by telnetting into the SMTP server and
then hand-entering the appropriate SMTP commands to send a message. As
soon as I terminated the message with a line containing a single ".",
I received the 250 code and then saw the connection drop.)

I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.

Eric

--
Eric Chevalier
www.tulsagrammer.com
0
Eric
2/5/2004 2:43:11 PM
Eric Chevalier wrote:

>>The messages do make it to the recipient, and the progress bar in the
>>background sometimes even shows "message sent". But the error dialog
>>says that the send failed b/c connecting to the SMTP server failed,
>>and the message does not copy to the sent folder.
>>
>>I've created a new profile and the error occurs there as well. ISP
>>(SBC) claims innocence & I'm able to ping the server while the errors
>>are happening - and again, the msgs do go through.
> 
> I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
> server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
> fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.
> 
> What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
> SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
> message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
> has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.
> 
> (I discovered this behavior by telnetting into the SMTP server and
> then hand-entering the appropriate SMTP commands to send a message. As
> soon as I terminated the message with a line containing a single ".",
> I received the 250 code and then saw the connection drop.)
> 
> I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
> of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
> of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.

Ok, that affirms my suspicion.

In bug 232860 the reporter provided us with nearly the same description.
The patch for that bug has been checked in yesterday.
So I hope this problem is fixed in nightlies starting 20040205. Fell
free to test with such a build from
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and
report here or in the bug if that works for you.

Christian
0
Christian
2/5/2004 4:14:44 PM
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:14:44 +0100,
Christian Eyrich <VJBDONFBFOPG@spammotel.com> wrote:

>Ok, that affirms my suspicion.
>
>In bug 232860 the reporter provided us with nearly the same description.
>The patch for that bug has been checked in yesterday.
>So I hope this problem is fixed in nightlies starting 20040205. Fell
>free to test with such a build from
>http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and
>report here or in the bug if that works for you.

I may have to defer testing of that patch to someone else; I'm running
Netscape 7.1, not Mozilla. Although this may be a good time to give
Mozilla a test drive! :-)

Thanks for your update.

Eric

--
Eric Chevalier
www.tulsagrammer.com
0
Eric
2/5/2004 5:44:25 PM
Eric Chevalier wrote:
> I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
> server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
> fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.
> 
> What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
> SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
> message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
> has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.
> 
> I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
> of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
> of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.

Eric,
I spent a good 4 hours on the phone with Bangalore...uh...SBC and 
Netscape support, both pointing the finger at the other. [Would you 
believe SBC support "can't receive email" to look at a log file?]

SBC finally admitted that they made some changes to their SMTP servers 
in the time frame that we've seen these errors (including my old one, 
mail.pacbell.net). Now they're not working with NS7.1. It may be 
spam-related, I'm not clear on that. The "engineers are looking into it" 
and in the meantime they have set up this temporary SMTP server that 
should work - it has for me:

smtpauth.sbcglobal.net

check off "use name/pwd", and type in your full username (as 
username@domain.xxx). As before check "Never" use SSL.

Apparently those using Mozilla 1.6 don't see the problem, based on 
chatter on n.p.m.mail-news.

The SBC technician said that we may stay with this server indefinitely, 
it may revert to the old settings, or might go to something different. 
We won't be notified so if it works for awhile then fails you might try 
the old settings.

Hope that helps, and when you're ready to storm the gates at SBC I'm 
right there with you. It might be helpful if you log a complaint via 
their web site because they kept playing "we don't support NS, it's a NS 
problem" until NS support logged a bunch of calls from SBC domains. The 
more complaints they get, the higher the priority to solve it.

-Tad

PS if you call and they say they don't support NS7.1 point them to this 
page:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/mail/pop/pop-11.html

0
Tad
2/5/2004 6:24:38 PM
Christian Eyrich wrote:

> Eric Chevalier wrote:
> 
> 
>>>The messages do make it to the recipient, and the progress bar in the
>>>background sometimes even shows "message sent". But the error dialog
>>>says that the send failed b/c connecting to the SMTP server failed,
>>>and the message does not copy to the sent folder.
>>>
>>>I've created a new profile and the error occurs there as well. ISP
>>>(SBC) claims innocence & I'm able to ping the server while the errors
>>>are happening - and again, the msgs do go through.
>>
>>I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
>>server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
>>fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.
>>
>>What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
>>SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
>>message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
>>has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.
>>
>>(I discovered this behavior by telnetting into the SMTP server and
>>then hand-entering the appropriate SMTP commands to send a message. As
>>soon as I terminated the message with a line containing a single ".",
>>I received the 250 code and then saw the connection drop.)
>>
>>I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
>>of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
>>of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.
> 
> 
> Ok, that affirms my suspicion.
> 
> In bug 232860 the reporter provided us with nearly the same description.
> The patch for that bug has been checked in yesterday.
> So I hope this problem is fixed in nightlies starting 20040205. Fell
> free to test with such a build from
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and
> report here or in the bug if that works for you.

Christian, was this a long-standing bug or a recent regression?  One of 
the computers in this house is running Mozilla 1.4 and recently started 
putting up this error while going thru Prodigy's SMTP server.

Could something have changed net-wide on SMTP servers?

-- 
Michael Cowperthwaite

To send mail, remove 'Z's from the poster's email address.
0
M
2/5/2004 7:12:12 PM
Tad Borek wrote:
> Eric Chevalier wrote:
> 
>>I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
>>server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
>>fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.
>>
>>What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
>>SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
>>message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
>>has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.
>>
>>I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
>>of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
>>of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.
> 
> 
> Eric,
> I spent a good 4 hours on the phone with Bangalore...uh...SBC and 
> Netscape support, both pointing the finger at the other. [Would you 
> believe SBC support "can't receive email" to look at a log file?]
> 
> SBC finally admitted that they made some changes to their SMTP servers 
> in the time frame that we've seen these errors (including my old one, 
> mail.pacbell.net). Now they're not working with NS7.1. It may be 
> spam-related, I'm not clear on that. The "engineers are looking into it" 
> and in the meantime they have set up this temporary SMTP server that 
> should work - it has for me:
> 
> smtpauth.sbcglobal.net
> 
> check off "use name/pwd", and type in your full username (as 
> username@domain.xxx). As before check "Never" use SSL.
> 
> Apparently those using Mozilla 1.6 don't see the problem, based on 
> chatter on n.p.m.mail-news.
> 
> The SBC technician said that we may stay with this server indefinitely, 
> it may revert to the old settings, or might go to something different. 
> We won't be notified so if it works for awhile then fails you might try 
> the old settings.
> 
> Hope that helps, and when you're ready to storm the gates at SBC I'm 
> right there with you. It might be helpful if you log a complaint via 
> their web site because they kept playing "we don't support NS, it's a NS 
> problem" until NS support logged a bunch of calls from SBC domains. The 
> more complaints they get, the higher the priority to solve it.
> 
> -Tad
> 
> PS if you call and they say they don't support NS7.1 point them to this 
> page:
> http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/mail/pop/pop-11.html
> 

I haven't been following this thread too closely so forgive me if I'm
off-base here. Looking at the sbc help page referenced above ...

1.  At the very top it says "The SBC Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires
authentication."

2.  Under Incredimail it says "Under Outgoing Mail Server, check the box
next to "My Server Requires Authentication.""

3. Under Netscape it says to uncheck using SSL on the outgoing server
configuration.

This seems to be leaving out something.

In preferences you can set authentication for the POP3 Mail Server under
each mail account.  Edit - Prefs - Mail&News Acct Settings - Server
Settings (under each account).  This is different from the SSL setting
for the outgoing SMTP server described in the sbc/yahoo help page.

Just wondering.


-- 
Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
http://edmullen.net/moz.html
http://www.mozilla.org/community-etiquette.html
0
Ed
2/5/2004 7:27:58 PM
Christian Eyrich wrote:
> Eric Chevalier wrote:
> 
> 
>>>The messages do make it to the recipient, and the progress bar in the
>>>background sometimes even shows "message sent". But the error dialog
>>>says that the send failed b/c connecting to the SMTP server failed,
>>>and the message does not copy to the sent folder.
>>>
>>>I've created a new profile and the error occurs there as well. ISP
>>>(SBC) claims innocence & I'm able to ping the server while the errors
>>>are happening - and again, the msgs do go through.
>>
>>I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
>>server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
>>fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.
>>
>>What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
>>SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
>>message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
>>has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.
>>
>>(I discovered this behavior by telnetting into the SMTP server and
>>then hand-entering the appropriate SMTP commands to send a message. As
>>soon as I terminated the message with a line containing a single ".",
>>I received the 250 code and then saw the connection drop.)
>>
>>I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
>>of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
>>of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.
> 
> 
> Ok, that affirms my suspicion.
> 
> In bug 232860 the reporter provided us with nearly the same description.
> The patch for that bug has been checked in yesterday.
> So I hope this problem is fixed in nightlies starting 20040205. Fell
> free to test with such a build from
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and
> report here or in the bug if that works for you.

Christian,
I don't know if this is helpful, but here's a log file from a successful 
send via the alternate SMTP server. This is the server that SBC is 
pointing us to temporarily while they look at the problem on their end. 
Msg was sent from the same PC as the prior log file I posted.

-Tad

0[264188]: SMTP Connecting to: smtpauth.sbcglobal.net
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 220 smtpauth2-ext.prodigy.net ESMTP Sendmail 
8.12.10 auth mps/8.12.10; Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:46:36 -0500
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 14
0[264188]: SMTP Send: EHLO pacbell.net

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-smtpauth2-ext.prodigy.net Hello 
adsl-216-102-69-42.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net [216.102.69.42], pleased to 
meet you
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-PIPELINING
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-8BITMIME
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-SIZE
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-DSN
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-DELIVERBY
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250 HELP
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 15
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 21
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 16
0[264188]: Logging suppressed for this command (it probably contained 
authentication information)
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 235 2.0.0 OK Authenticated
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 18
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 4
0[264188]: SMTP Send: MAIL FROM:<tadborek@pacbell.net>

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.0 <tadborek@pacbell.net>... Sender ok
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 6
0[264188]: SMTP Send: RCPT TO:<borekfm@pacbell.net>

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.5 <borekfm@pacbell.net>... Recipient ok
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 7
0[264188]: SMTP Send: DATA

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 8
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 9
0[264188]: SMTP Send:

..

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250 2.0.0 i15Jka4A1124532 Message accepted for 
delivery
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 10
0[264188]: SMTP Send: QUIT

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 221 2.0.0 smtpauth2-ext.prodigy.net closing 
connection
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 11
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 13

0
Tad
2/5/2004 7:58:23 PM
Eric Chevalier wrote:
>>In bug 232860 the reporter provided us with nearly the same description.
>>The patch for that bug has been checked in yesterday.
>>So I hope this problem is fixed in nightlies starting 20040205. Fell
>>free to test with such a build from
>>http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and
>>report here or in the bug if that works for you.
> 
> I may have to defer testing of that patch to someone else; I'm running
> Netscape 7.1, not Mozilla. Although this may be a good time to give
> Mozilla a test drive! :-)
> 
> Thanks for your update.

From your comment in the bug it seems you gave it a test drive now. I'm
glad it works for you.

Christian
0
Christian
2/5/2004 9:04:42 PM
M Cowperthwaite wrote:

>>>I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
>>>server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
>>>fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.
>>>
>>>What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
>>>SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
>>>message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
>>>has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.
>>>
>>>(I discovered this behavior by telnetting into the SMTP server and
>>>then hand-entering the appropriate SMTP commands to send a message. As
>>>soon as I terminated the message with a line containing a single ".",
>>>I received the 250 code and then saw the connection drop.)
>>>
>>>I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
>>>of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
>>>of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.
>> 
>> 
>> Ok, that affirms my suspicion.
>> 
>> In bug 232860 the reporter provided us with nearly the same description.
>> The patch for that bug has been checked in yesterday.
>> So I hope this problem is fixed in nightlies starting 20040205. Fell
>> free to test with such a build from
>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and
>> report here or in the bug if that works for you.
> 
> Christian, was this a long-standing bug or a recent regression?  One of 
> the computers in this house is running Mozilla 1.4 and recently started 
> putting up this error while going thru Prodigy's SMTP server.

Not recent, the bug (it's not really one, just a to strong
interpretation of the SMTP protocol) is in since end of April (bug 200647).

> Could something have changed net-wide on SMTP servers?

SBC seems to be one of the bigger players and at least pacbell also uses
their system. I doubt it's a net-wide thing.

Christian
0
Christian
2/5/2004 9:13:41 PM
Just another datum point from a Mozilla user ... My email accounts
(Eudora in both cases, on Windows and Mac, sorry, not using Mozilla
for mail) both started exhibiting this behavior a few days ago, to the
point where I can only send a single message at a time. No changes
were made on my end -- it just started happening.

Will try the alternate smtp server ...

--Andrew
0
aek
2/6/2004 4:34:34 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outgoing e-mail problem; HELO command, no domain name message on failed sent e-mails
We have our mail hosted by our isp at cbm-law.us. In our office, we have a server running NW 6.5 server and BM 3.8 w/ all current patches. All of our incoming e-mail seem to receive okay and most outgoing send okay. However, on selected e-mail addresses (xxx@aol.com) among them, our mail does not go out and we get a bounce message that includes the following: Received: from [192.168.10.11]Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:27:32 GMT X-Authentication-Warning: [192.168.10.11] received HELO command without domain name Message-ID: <001901c6574c$3ba46b80$0b0aa8c0@JBEUHLER> The 192.16...

How can i romove all this SPAM messages from my message list in mozilla mail
thank you my filter search for blackspotsneaker.org in the content (Body) Marcel > thank you thanks marcel... but... brrrrr... how can i have thread view + filtered view ? I made a custom view to filter all the junk in the group... but, how can i use this view and keep the messages threaded. many thanks. On 07-11-2003 13:35, STAR Group Webmaster wrote: > > my filter search for blackspotsneaker.org in the content (Body) > > Marcel > >> thank you > > ...

'Mail message rules' does not work for sent messages in OE
In oe6 how to divert a sent mail to a specific folder? 'Mail message rules' does not work for sent messages. Thanks for any replies. Trish wrote: > In oe6 how to divert a sent mail to a specific folder? 'Mail message > rules' does not work for sent messages. > > Thanks for any replies. Hi Trish, it does work, but from what information I can find, it cannot be made to work 'automatically'. Rules can be applied manually. This is not quite as bad as it sounds because it's possible to select a number of rules and run them at onc...

Mozilla Mail 1.7.5 message filter problem
After updating from Mozilla 1.7.3 to 1.7.5, Mozilla Mail does not always filter messages to the mail folders. Instead the messages stay in the Inbox. If I click Tools | Run Filters on Folder when the Inbox is highlighted, the messages filter to the correct mail folders. I uninstalled Mozilla 1.7.5, installed Mozilla 1.7.3, and now message filtering is back to normal. On 12/19/2004 9:57 AM, Mark: > After updating from Mozilla 1.7.3 to 1.7.5, Mozilla Mail does not always > filter messages to the mail folders. Instead the messages stay in the > Inbox. If I click Too...

Thunderbird new mail notifier pop up fails display new messages, shows old messages ; jor
Thunderbird 2.0.4 on KUbuntu 10.4 TB is set to check my mail server occasionally, to see if there are new messages. When it finds something new, a box pops up in the lower right corner of my display, listing about 4 message subject lines. These usally aren't the new messages, but are older ones. Is this a bug? Is there some setting that could be changed to fix this? Thanks :) giovanni_re wrote: > Thunderbird 2.0.4 on KUbuntu 10.4 The latest version is 2.0.0.24. Perhaps you should consider updating. > TB is set to check my mail server occasionally, to see i...

RegularExpressionValidator1 and e-mail ? When i click update button, my error message have been displayed after updateing if it is not valid e-mail..
hi i have RegularExpressionValidator1  and textbox1 and button (I use java script for button)  When i click update button, my error message have been displayed after updateing if it is not valid e-mail. and i can see nonvalid e-mail adres at textbox1. it have been uptated.. i checked it from table... Problem is Java script ? How can i fix it ? Thanks <script language ="javascript" type="text/javascript">function SubmitClick() { var x = document.getElementById("<%= doUpdate.ClientID %>");if (confirm('KiŸisel Bilgilerinizi Gncell...

Mail Message() Error?
I am new to programming and would appreciate some pointers. I have created two online forms that are emailed to a gmail account. One works fine, but the other longer version fails to compile. I have tried a number of different alternatives, but all with no success.   I am sure it is something I am doing between the Mail Message() brackets   Any advice please.   Here is part of the code:   SendMail(yourfullnameTextBox.Text, companynameTextBox.Text, positionatcompanyTextBox.Text, companywebsiteTextBox.Text, nameofparentcompan...

Mail Error message
I am having a problem with Aim/Aol Mail. My Gmail works fine. I am getting the error message "Alert-s The current command did not succees. Mail server responded: UID Copy failed. The inbox showed that I have 15 messages, but they won't download. Barb OSX10.4.11 Barbara Norvell a �crit : > I am having a problem with Aim/Aol Mail. My Gmail works fine. I am > getting the error message "Alert-s The current command did not succees. > Mail server responded: UID Copy failed. I have no idea what the problem is, but just for the record, I'm getting m...

How do I filter messages using Find Messages field using the 'pipe' method (like Mozilla Mail)
Hi, Can you help me? Mozilla Mail (the mail part of the Mozilla Suite), right up to v 1.7.13 used to allow a really handy form of filtering using Find Messages filter (top right of screen). It no longer works in Thunderbird 1.5. Is there another way? I guess a database person would say that this is a type of 'multi-key' filtering, or perhaps just multi-criteria searching. Hold the phone! ... it's now working. I'll leave this message here for the benefit of people looking for information, and illustrate the method: To find messages that are from "sa...

Error message: sending of message failed
Hi all.. WHen I try to send email, I get the following message? Sending of message failed. Error writing temporary file. This is my first time trying to send messages. I have windows vista home basic edition. Can you please help me? Yours truly Casper. Casper said the following On 03/01/2008 10:28 AM: > Hi all.. > > WHen I try to send email, I get the following message? > > Sending of message failed. > Error writing temporary file. > > This is my first time trying to send messages. > I have windows vista home basic edition. > &g...

superreview requested: [Bug 268034] Mail imported from Mozilla 1. x dumps messages in wrong mailboxes, when multiple accounts on same mail server
Mark Banner <bugzilla@standard8.demon.co.uk> has asked Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> for superreview: Bug 268034: Mail imported from Mozilla 1.x dumps messages in wrong mailboxes, when multiple accounts on same mail server https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=268034 Attachment 266277: Fix mail folder and newsgroup migration https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=266277&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Mark Banner <bugzilla@standard8.demon.co.uk> Scott, sorry forgot to request reviews. See my previous comment. If you want it ...

superreview granted: [Bug 268034] Mail imported from Mozilla 1. x dumps messages in wrong mailboxes, when multiple accounts on same mail server
Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> has granted Mark Banner <bugzilla@standard8.demon.co.uk>'s request for superreview: Bug 268034: Mail imported from Mozilla 1.x dumps messages in wrong mailboxes, when multiple accounts on same mail server https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=268034 Attachment 266277: Fix mail folder and newsgroup migration https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=266277&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> Thanks Mark! Bonus points if you can change the xpidlcstring to a nsCStri...

Mail List as property of e-mail message
--____HYXMKNTRAWXDCKQGRCFS____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Wed, 10 Jun 2008 00:00:24 -0700" When You receive an e-mail that was sent to you as wells as others the = properties of that e-mail message will show a list of other e-mail = addresses that the mail was sent to. Is there a way to automatically = extract these addresses and import them into a GroupWise address book. --____HYXMKNTRAWXDCKQGRCFS____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____VPQKFE...

Junk Mail and message pointer after junking a message
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Has anyone seen this? =20 "When using the "junk mail->junk sender" capability and I have a long list = of unread emails in my mailbox (such that the last message is not = displayed in the mailbox window), I junk a message and send it to the junk = folder. The "current message pointer" gets reset to the last message in = my mailbox rather than the next message after the message I junked. = Therefore, I have to rescroll back up throu...

duplicate mail messages being sent out
Bizzare, I have an application sending out an e-mail. It sends out duplicates of the same message. Same code with minor changes and a different url only sends one. Any ideas? Every page that sends mail from this app sends 2? ??? Yhanks, DougThanks,Doug Hi,post ur code N.P.SenthilSoftware Engineer string MailServer = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["MailServer"].ToString();MailMessage mail = new MailMessage(); //set the addressesmail.From = new MailAddress(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["NoReplyEmail"].ToString()); mail.To.Add(new MailAddress(emai...

Web resources about - Mail pseudo-error - "Message Sent" + "Message Failed" - netscape.mozilla.mail-news

Resources last updated: 11/28/2015 8:06:35 PM