Importing Messages from SeaMonkey to Thunderbird

Since I can't get SeaMonkey to install properly, I decided to give
Thunderbird a try.  The web page says TB has an auto-import for SM
mail, but I didn't see it when installing, and I can't find it now.

So, can anyone tell me how to import SM messages into TB?

Thanks very much.

0
nr
8/13/2006 6:58:11 PM
netscape.mozilla.mail-news 6068 articles. 0 followers. Follow

nr wrote:
> Since I can't get SeaMonkey to install properly, I decided to give
> Thunderbird a try.  The web page says TB has an auto-import for SM
> mail, but I didn't see it when installing, and I can't find it now.
>
> So, can anyone tell me how to import SM messages into TB?
>
> Thanks very much.

First, in TB, create the accounts, then close TB and SM.  Now, using
your file manager, locate the mail section of the SM profile, and the
Mail section of TB. In SM, rename the inbox, and sent to inbox-old and
sent-old, or whatever you want.  You're renaming the inbox and send
without an extension, such as inbox.msf.  Now, do a search for *.msf
and delete the files.  Now, copy all the mail files from SM over to
TB.  Now, restart TB and all your messages should be there.

To locate your SM Profile, you can read this:
http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#locations

to locate your TB profile, you can read this:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate

but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

--
EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

An Hourglass is Female, because over time, the weight shifts to the
bottom.
0
gwtc
8/13/2006 7:17:08 PM
gwtc wrote:
> nr wrote:
> > Since I can't get SeaMonkey to install properly, I decided to give
> > Thunderbird a try.  The web page says TB has an auto-import for SM
> > mail, but I didn't see it when installing, and I can't find it now.
> >
> > So, can anyone tell me how to import SM messages into TB?
> >
> > Thanks very much.
> >
> First, in TB, create the accounts, then close TB and SM.  Now, using
> your file manager, locate the mail section of the SM profile, and the
> Mail section of TB. In SM, rename the inbox, and sent to inbox-old and
> sent-old, or whatever you want.  You're renaming the inbox and send
> without an extension, such as inbox.msf.  Now, do a search for *.msf
> and delete the files.  Now, copy all the mail files from SM over to
> TB.  Now, restart TB and all your messages should be there.
>
> To locate your SM Profile, you can read this:
> http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#locations
>
> to locate your TB profile, you can read this:
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate
>
> but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

Thanks for the help with both my Firefox and Thunderbird questions.
Even though I'm upset I couldn't get SM to load properly, I think I
have both F and T looking good.

I sure wish the T developers would include the email ID's name in the
folder under mail.  That would sure make things much easier.

I appreciate your help,
Bill

0
nr
8/13/2006 7:57:41 PM
nr wrote:
> Since I can't get SeaMonkey to install properly, I decided to give
> Thunderbird a try.  The web page says TB has an auto-import for SM
> mail, but I didn't see it when installing, and I can't find it now.
>
> So, can anyone tell me how to import SM messages into TB?
>
> Thanks very much.

post your SM problem to the SM support newsgroup and maybe someone
there can help: news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.seamonkey