"New message" doesn't always indicate (Seamonkey)

I'm using Seamonkey 1.1 on the Mac platform.

It's frustrating that often (not always) when I receive new messages
(the MacOS dock indicates that as well as the component bar of
Seamonkey itself), none of the email accounts are displayed in bold as
they should, indicating where to find that unread message, so I have
to manually look through every single account's mailbox to see which
mailbox or sub-folder may have that new message.

What is the cause of this, and what can I do to fix it and prevent it
from happening again?

0
no
2/12/2007 8:11:33 AM
netscape.mozilla.mail-news 6068 articles. 0 followers. Follow

no-spam2@lycos.com wrote:
> I'm using Seamonkey 1.1 on the Mac platform.
>
> It's frustrating that often (not always) when I receive new messages
> (the MacOS dock indicates that as well as the component bar of
> Seamonkey itself), none of the email accounts are displayed in bold as
> they should, indicating where to find that unread message, so I have
> to manually look through every single account's mailbox to see which
> mailbox or sub-folder may have that new message.
>
> What is the cause of this, and what can I do to fix it and prevent it
> from happening again?

close the program and delete all the *.msf files. Restart, and click on
each and every folder you have.  Does this work now?

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Peter_Potamus_Show.html
http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s_search=Potamus&Button_Update=Search&show_id=2778

Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup only.  Thanks
0
Peter
2/12/2007 1:58:59 PM
On Feb 12, 2:58 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<peter.potamus.the.purple.hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> no-sp...@lycos.com wrote:

> > It's frustrating that often (not always) when I receive new messages
> > (the MacOS dock indicates that as well as the component bar of
> > Seamonkey itself), none of the email accounts are displayed in bold as
> > they should

> close the program and delete all the *.msf files. Restart, and click on
> each and every folder you have.  Does this work now?

I've done the above but it didn't help.
However, I've figured out where the problem lies.

I have several (POP3) email accounts whereas most of them are regular
POP3 and a couple use SSL.
Whenever I get a new message to those normal accounts, a green arrow
pointing downwards to the account icon is displayed. this doesn't
happen with my SSL secured accounts. I guess there just isn't an icon
for it.
I'm using the "modern" theme.
If I have the account's mailboxes visible however, the mailbox which
has received the new message does have that green arrow.

Any way to fix the above, so I can see if new messages have arrived
even if the mailbox is collapsed?

0
no
2/13/2007 9:39:31 AM
no-spam2@lycos.com wrote:

>I've figured out where the problem lies.
>
>I have several (POP3) email accounts whereas most of them are regular POP3 and a couple use SSL.
>Whenever I get a new message to those normal accounts, a green arrow pointing downwards to the account icon is displayed. this doesn't happen with my SSL secured accounts. I guess there just isn't an icon for it.
>I'm using the "modern" theme.
>If I have the account's mailboxes visible however, the mailbox which has received the new message does have that green arrow.
>
>Any way to fix the above, so I can see if new messages have arrived even if the mailbox is collapsed?

That's strange; there are rules in modern's CSS to apply a specific
image when an SSL mailbox has new mail (you won't be able to click on
this link but you can cut and paste it to see the image that you should
get): chrome://messenger/skin/icons/server-remote-lock-new.gif

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
0
On Feb 13, 11:49 am, Neil <n...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote:
> no-sp...@lycos.com wrote:

> >Any way to fix the above, so I can see if new messages have arrived even if the mailbox is collapsed?
>
> That's strange; there are rules in modern's CSS to apply a specific
> image when an SSL mailbox has new mail (you won't be able to click on
> this link but you can cut and paste it to see the image that you should
> get): chrome://messenger/skin/icons/server-remote-lock-new.gif

I'm not sure what you mean. Paste the above "chrome://...." line
where? I've already tried to paste it in the URL field of the browser,
nothing happened. Can't think of anywhere else.

0
no
2/13/2007 3:17:29 PM
no-spam2@lycos.com wrote:

>On Feb 13, 11:49 am, Neil <n...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>chrome://messenger/skin/icons/server-remote-lock-new.gif
>>

>I've already tried to paste it in the URL field of the browser, nothing happened.

Well here's a better URL:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/themes/modern/messenger/icons/server-remote-lock-new.gif

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
0
Neil
2/13/2007 3:41:40 PM
On Feb 13, 4:41 pm, Neil <n...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote:

> Well here's a better URL:http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/themes/modern/messenger/icons...

Sorry, my mistake.
The "modern" theme does indeed show the same icon as in the URL above.
I was using the "Orbit 3+1 1.8b8 MiK" theme (which I believe is a
modified version of the Modern theme).
They must have forgotten to include those icons.

Is there a simple way I can add that icon to this theme?

0
no
2/13/2007 4:11:18 PM
no-spam2@lycos.com wrote:

>Is there a simple way I can add that icon to this theme?

It depends on how familiar you are with .zip archives. Inside modern.jar
(which is really a .zip archive, so you may need to rename it first)
will be a file called folderPane.css with a set of entries that describe
all the icons and when to use them. Hopefully the orbit archive will
have a similar set of entries and your job merely consists of inserting
the missing entries and adding the graphics to the icons subfolder.

It may also be possible to write a global override for all themes but
I'm not sure that's appropriate in your case.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
0
Neil
2/14/2007 4:02:27 PM
On Feb 14, 5:02 pm, Neil <n...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote:
> no-sp...@lycos.com wrote:
> >Is there a simple way I can add that icon to this theme?
>
> It depends on how familiar you are with .zip archives. Inside modern.jar
> (which is really a .zip archive, so you may need to rename it first)
> will be a file called folderPane.css with a set of entries that describe
> all the icons and when to use them. Hopefully the orbit archive will
> have a similar set of entries and your job merely consists of inserting
> the missing entries and adding the graphics to the icons subfolder.

Yes, I found both the "modern" theme (was located inside the Seamonkey
application itself) and the "Orbit" theme (was located within my
profile's "Chrome" folder).

I copied them both, renamed them to have a .ZIP at the end, then
decompressed them to see their contents.
I located their "messenger" sub-folders which each had an "icon"
folder. The icon in question was named "server-remote-lock-new.gif"
which the "modern" theme had, and also a reference to it in its
"Folderpane.css" file. The "Orbit" theme had neither the icon nor the
reference to it, so I copied the icon to the "Orbit" theme folder,
copied the line referring to it from the "Modern" theme into the
"Orbit" theme's "Folderpane.css". Done!

I assumed that since it really was a zip file, all I had to do was zip
the unzipped contents again, then remove the ".zip" extension. Wrong!
I did that and everything looked OK. Actually I could even load the
modified "Orbit" theme into Seamonkey (I have the "Themer" extension
installed for allowing to install .JAR themes: http://
extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer), but after that was done I
couldn't see the "Orbit" theme among the list of installed themes. I
even quit Seamonkey and restarted it, but no "Orbit" in sight.
Strange.
(Oh, before you ask -yes, I absolutely did un-install the previous
(original) "Orbit" theme before attempting to modify and re-install
the one I added the icon/icon references to).

0
no
2/15/2007 9:58:26 AM
no-spam2@lycos.com wrote:

>I assumed that since it really was a zip file, all I had to do was zip the unzipped contents again, then remove the ".zip" extension. Wrong! I did that and everything looked OK. Actually I could even load the modified "Orbit" theme into Seamonkey (I have the "Themer" extension installed for allowing to install .JAR themes: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer), but after that was done I couldn't see the "Orbit" theme among the list of installed themes. I even quit Seamonkey and restarted it, but no "Orbit" in sight. Strange.

The most likely explanation for this is as follows:

Say you have a file "orbit.zip". When you unzip it, your unzipper
creates a folder called "orbit" in which to unzip all the files. If you
now zip up the "orbit" folder into a new "orbit.zip" file the zipper
includes the "orbit" folder in the zip. You can verify this by unzipping
the new zip and seeing if you get an "orbit" folder inside the "orbit"
folder.

The solution is to select all the files and folders inside the "orbit"
folder and zip those. Note: in this case, your zipper may well name the
..zip using one of the files or folders, but that's not a problem, as you
need to rename it to "orbit.jar" anyway.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
0
Neil
2/15/2007 11:51:41 AM
On Feb 15, 12:51 pm, Neil <n...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote:
> no-sp...@lycos.com wrote:
> >I assumed that since it really was a zip file, all I had to do was zip the unzipped contents again, then remove the ".zip" extension. Wrong!

> The solution is to select all the files and folders inside the "orbit"
> folder and zip those. Note: in this case, your zipper may well name the
> .zip using one of the files or folders, but that's not a problem, as you
> need to rename it to "orbit.jar" anyway.

You're absolutely right! I zipped the contents *including the folder*
which contained it.
By zipping just the files (and sub-folders) inside that folder it
worked perfectly! Now I have a working theme with a proper "new mail"
icon for SSL mail accounts :-)

I assume I can use the same method for editing my own themes, taking
icons from different themes and replacing the ones in another theme,
but how about the actual theme name? It's not as easy as just changing
the name of the JAR (ZIP) file, but there are references to it inside
the theme file itself, right?
I noticed that there's a file named "contents.rdf" which has various
bits of information including the name of the theme. Can I safely
change it there? Any other places where I need to change it?

0
no
2/16/2007 10:36:22 AM
no-spam2@lycos.com wrote:

>I noticed that there's a file named "contents.rdf" which has various bits of information including the name of the theme. Can I safely change it there? Any other places where I need to change it?

   1. Typically you name the .jar after the theme to avoid overwriting
      somebody else's theme!
   2. Each contents.rdf file has to be updated. Most of them only
      contain an internal name which is typically the jar name and a
      version number (e.g. modern/1.0)
   3. global/contents.rdf also contains the display name, access key,
      author and description. Note that you have to use either UTF-8 or
      &#XX; codes for non-ASCII characters.
   4. global/preview.gif contains a screenshot of the theme.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
0
Neil
2/16/2007 4:18:12 PM
On Feb 16, 5:18 pm, Neil <n...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote:
> no-sp...@lycos.com wrote:

> >I noticed that there's a file named "contents.rdf" which has various bits of information including the name of the theme. Can I safely change it there? Any other places where I need to change it?

>    2. Each contents.rdf file has to be updated. Most of them only
>       contain an internal name which is typically the jar name and a
>       version number (e.g. modern/1.0)

Looking at the contents of a couple of theme folders I can see that
each sub-folder (communicator, editor, globale, messenger, navigator)
has its own "contents.rdf" file.
I assume I have to rename all of them the exact same way? For
example:   Cool blue/3.4

>    3. global/contents.rdf also contains the display name, access key,
>       author and description. Note that you have to use either UTF-8 or
>       &#XX; codes for non-ASCII characters.

And again I have to be consistent when it comes to the naming, giving
it the exact same name as in my above example?

>    4. global/preview.gif contains a screenshot of the theme.

I can always change this later I guess and go for an existing
screenshot while testing.

I've extracted the "modern" and "classic" theme JAR files from within
Seamonkey as I've heard these are the two "templates" used for any
replacement theme out there.
Having renamed them to .ZIP (instead of .JAR) and unpacking them I was
surprised to see a folder named "skin" showing up with a folder within
it named "classic" (for the classic theme) and "modern" (for the
modern theme). Within those folders I found the usual structure.

This is very different from the "Orbit" theme that I messed around
with yesterday, which doesn't have any surrounding and sub-folder. So
what's the story here?

What I'm really asking is what I should do in order to modify the
existing modern or classic themes, giving them new names and being
able to install them into Seamokey?

0
no
2/17/2007 11:03:58 AM
no-spam2@lycos.com wrote:

>On Feb 16, 5:18 pm, Neil wrote:
>

>>Each contents.rdf file has to be updated. Most of them only contain an internal name which is typically the jar name and a version number (e.g. modern/1.0)
>>

>Looking at the contents of a couple of theme folders I can see that each sub-folder (communicator, editor, global, messenger, navigator) has its own "contents.rdf" file.
>I assume I have to rename all of them the exact same way? For example:   Cool blue/3.4

Yes, that's what I meant by "Each contents.rdf file has to be updated."

>>global/contents.rdf also contains the display name, access key, author and description. Note that you have to use either UTF-8 or &#XX; codes for non-ASCII characters.
>>

>And again I have to be consistent when it comes to the naming, giving it the exact same name as in my above example?

Only global/contents.rdf contains the user-visible naming.

>I've extracted the "modern" and "classic" theme JAR files from within Seamonkey as I've heard these are the two "templates" used for any replacement theme out there.
>Having renamed them to .ZIP (instead of .JAR) and unpacking them I was surprised to see a folder named "skin" showing up with a folder within it named "classic" (for the classic theme) and "modern" (for the modern theme). Within those folders I found the usual structure.
>
>This is very different from the "Orbit" theme that I messed around with yesterday, which doesn't have any surrounding and sub-folder. So what's the story here?

For an .xpi install (which is how Classic and Modern are installed) the
names of the subfolders are completely arbitrary. What's important is
that you have a) the contents.rdf files for each folder that tell
SeaMonkey which package the folder is for and b) the install.js locating
the contents.rdf files. However for a .jar install I believe you may
need to have a single contents.rdf in the root of the .jar with multiple
entries registering all of the packages. In this case the root folders
need to be named after the packages.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
0
Neil

Windows XP "new mail" icon doesn't always clear
Name: Charles Wolff Email: charles16atcoxdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Windows XP "new mail" icon doesn't always clear Comments: Hi - on Windows XP, down in the taskbar that includes the clock 'n' stuff, there is a "new mail" icon that shows up sometimes, presumably when Thunderbird checks with my provider to see if there is new mail that hasn't been downloaded yet. A fair amount of the time, when I click the "Get Mail" icon in Thunderbird to download this new mail, that little icon doesn't clear, it continues to display e...

I'm new to Thunderbird.. using IMAPS.. doesn't downloading my mail mark the mail as "read" on Gmail?
Hey guys, I need a really quick answer to this question. I can't seem to find it anyw= here. I have a Gmail account. I don't want to mess or change / alter any of= the mail under Gmail. It's an old account. I'd just prefer to preserve eve= rything on the Gmail server exactly how it is now. My goal here is to download my mail simply to have a localized backup. I'm = new to Firefox and most of my life I've used web-based interfaces for e-mai= l. So that's why I'm confused. Can someone please answer me this. If I set-= up Thunderbird to connect to my G...

"ctrl + t" doesn't open up a new tab always
Name: Sirish Vadala Product: Firefox Summary: "ctrl + t" doesn't open up a new tab always Comments: "ctrl + t" doesn't open up a new tab always. It works, but inconsistently. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

"Learning Perl" book, Chapter 1 example: open MAIL, "|mail email_address" doesn't work
I am working through the exercises in Chapter 1 of Learning Perl, Second Edition, O'Reilly publishers. I am using MacOS X (10.1.5), and Perl, v.5.6.0. An excerpt from one of the author's programs shows the following three lines: open MAIL, "|mail YOUR_ADDRESS_HERE"; print MAIL "bad news: $someone guessed $someguess\n"; close MAIL; ($someone and $someguess have been assigned appropriate values prior to the above three lines.) I suspect the above works fine in a typical UNIX environment, e.g., open MAIL, "|mail radams\@iglide\.net"; ...

"What's new" doesn't tell me what is new
Name: Andreas Karlsson Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: "What's new" doesn't tell me what is new Comments: As a user I expect some information about why Firefox was updated. Was it new features? Was it security patches, or stability patches? http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0.1/whatsnew/ Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070206 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Problem - -
Name: Blue Tiger Email: bluetigerbc_at_gmail.com Product: Firefox Summary: Problem - - - Explorer has "home" button that doesn't open mozilla in "customize toolbar" Comments: I was just hating hitting home and it bringing up ie instead of firefox. I was thinking having mozilla buttons in there after a firefox install would be nice. Also, having an option during install to remove ie from the desktop and toolbar (not checked off by default but with a check to check off) would rule. Also, I doubt it's as important but a feature to have common links ...

Searching "Entire message" Doesn't Work"
When searching for text within messages in News groups all I get is "No Matches Found". Searching for text within messages works ok for Email. Is this a bug? Phil Phil wrote: > When searching for text within messages in News groups all I get is "No > Matches Found". Searching for text within messages works ok for Email. > Is this a bug? > Phil Are you downloading the News Group messages for off line use? (Tools > Account Settings > {SELECT THE NEWS GROUP} > Synchronization & Storage > Select Newsgroups for Offline use...") ...

Using "New" for "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error doesn't work...
Hi, I'm trying to build a sql insert statement by reading through each textbox the footer of a DataGrid control. Here's my datagrid code:<asp:DataGrid ID="Datagrid1" runat="server" OnPageIndexChanged="dgPersonnelType_PageChanger" AutoGenerateColumns="False" CellPadding="4" AlternatingItemStyle-BackColor="#FFFFBB" AllowPaging="True" PageSize="20" ShowFooter="True"> <ItemStyle BackColor="WhiteSmoke" Font-Names="verdana" Font-Size="10px" /> <Columns> <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Insert"> <HeaderStyle BackColor="#CCCC99" Font-Bold="true" ...

New tabs show the about:newtab page, and doesn't accept the "Don't show this page again" order.
Name: RV Email: riveravaldezatysinembargodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: New tabs show the about:newtab page, and doesn't accept the "Don't show this page again" order. Comments: That. Once and again, of course. Thanks Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-AR; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.0.3;MEGAUPLOAD 1.0 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to se...

One account can't fetch new mail, always gets "This folder is being processed..."
I have a dozen or so email accounts being read by Thunderbird. I just discovered that one of them seems to be "stuck", and won't download new emails. If I manually ask it to fetch new emails, I get the message "This folder is being processed. Please wait until processing is complete to get messages.". Now that I've figured out that this account is not fetching emails, I've checked, and it's been stuck like this for over a MONTH! (and both thunderbird and my system have been restarted multiple times during that interval.) How in the bloody hec...

Couldn't Send Mail from DNN "Could not access 'CDO.Message' object."
Hello, I've currently been dealing with a problem of DNN 3.1.1 (clean install) being unable to send/test smtp settings.  The test button gives the message  Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.  I've gotten this message on two completely different servers, both clean installs.  Both servers have IIS SMTP installed and configured.  I am able to send test messages via php and all works great, but from asp.net/DNN 3.1.1 I seem to be unable to send messages.  I've tried multiple SMTP servers, and all of them seem to show no connection attempt even being made to it....

"Open in new tab" doesn't always work. Creates empty start menu item.
Name: Dan Z Email: oobc-w15l_at_spamex.com Product: Firefox Summary: "Open in new tab" doesn't always work. Creates empty start menu item. Comments: ) Versions 1.05 and 1.06 often open a link in a new window rather than a new tab, even though new tab for links is selected in options. 2) All versions create a blank start menu item, even though all items (start menu, taskbar, window icon) are unchecked during installation. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6 ...

"Send unsent messages" doesn't work in SM Gecko/20090717 SeaMonkey/2.0b1
Hi *, I'm testing Seamonkey 2.0 beta 1 and whenever I queue a message in a POP3 Outbox folder (with CTRL+SHIFT+RETURN) and then try to use "send unsent messages" from the menu bar of from the context menu, SM simply sits there without doing nothing. The SMTP server correctly works, because if I set SM to go offline and again online, I'm asked to send the queued message and it is finally sent. I've seen this behavior in other nightlies before and after SM beta1 of 17/7. Is it a known problem or else? Regards, Gianluca luctur wrote: > Hi *, &g...

superreview cancelled: [Bug 146075] 'Message > Edit Message As New' (== 'Edit As New...') set an incorrect initial "X-Priority:" value (when present), which messes up 'Options > Priority' U.I. also :
Serge GAUTHERIE <gautheri@noos.fr> has cancelled Jean-Francois Ducarroz <ducarroz@aol.net>'s request for superreview: Bug 146075: 'Message > Edit Message As New' (== 'Edit As New...') set an incorrect initial "X-Priority:" value (when present), which messes up 'Options > Priority' U.I. also http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=146075 Attachment 136206: (Av2) 'mime_generate_headers()' http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=136206&action=edit ...

Web resources about - "New message" doesn't always indicate (Seamonkey) - netscape.mozilla.mail-news