Operator Overloading in JavaScript

I'm wondering whats the latest with support for operator overloading
in JavaScript, especially being able to overload operators for custom
objects via spidermonkey. I need a way to support operations like
adding elements between corresponding elements of two vectors for
example, and being able to write the javascript as "a + b" as opposed
to writing a for loop would be way simpler. Can anyone shed some light
on if this is currently doable?

I'm also open to suggestions about other embedded languages that could
support operator overloading easily. JavaScript was my first choice,
but the lack of this feature might be a showstopper for my needs.
Thanks.
0
shafat
10/14/2008 3:35:08 AM
netscape.mozilla.jseng 1530 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Mozilla Rhino: Defining Java Methods of an overloaded Class as global JavaScript function
Hey Igor, i'm having trouble with the following: if have two JAVA classes A and B while B extends A and overloads a method of A: class A{a(){return "a"}} class B extends A{ a(){return "B"}} now i'd like to be able to execute "a()" in javaScript on Rhino. usually, on non-overloaded java methods i would do the following when initializing the rhino engine: scope.defineFunctionProperties("a", new B().getClass(), ScriptableObject.DONTENUM); but when i'm doing this, i get the following exception: Method "a" occur...

Processing Javascript Problems with Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird
I have a problem processing Javascript. I have a page that a user will select and radio button fron 6 radios. After that the user will input a piece of information, say a website URL. Once that is completed they will click a button to generate a script inside a text box. This works fine in IE obviously but does not inside Mozilla. The page simply refreshes and starts over again, kinda like a loop. 1. Does Mozilla have any known issue I have not seen? 2. Is there anything special I should be doing for JavaScript with Mozilla? Thanks for any help that can be provided. Chuck Chu...

Operator Overloading
I was reading the post "How to force RTTI on a record type" and noticed the use of operator overloading. Found this: http://dn.codegear.com/article/34324 I must be dense because I don't get it. What is it actually doing and for what benefit? Anyone mind explaining or pointing to more documentation on this feature? Thanks, -- Warm Regards, Lee On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:54:43 -0800, Lee Jenkins wrote: > I must be dense because I don't get it. What is it actually doing and for what > benefit? It makes records that can be used almost like ...

Mozilla and Javascript
Anyone have trouble with some javascript links? I run into it before on certain websites, can't remember what they are, but mostly it's annoying on my D-Link Wireless AP web-based configirator. When I go to "Apply" a change, nothing. The apply button doesn't work. When I mouse over the button, It says "javascript:send_request()" If I lookup that function in the page source: <script language="JavaScript"> function send_request(){ if (form1.admPass1.value != form1.admPass2.value){ alert("The new password...

Operator overloading for if()
Can the following be done? I would like to use a class in an if statement like: if( MyClass ) { } I was hoping I could overload an operator so that it would return a bool to the if. I can overload: bool operator !() so that I can do if( ! MyClass ) { } Is there someway to return a default type like bool when the class instance is withing an if statement? Larry. "Larry Griffiths" <larry@kalos-inc.com> wrote in message news:8114@forums.codegear.com... > I would like to use a class in an if statement like: ...

Operator Overloading
Hi, I'm embedding SpiderMonkey to script a 3D application. I would like to expose my C++ 3D-math classes (Vector, Matrix etc) to javascript, which is fine. However the nicest thing would be to allow the use of operator syntax with these, so you do, eg, 'a+b' to add two 3D vectors together (as opposed to 'a.add(b)' or 'add(a,b)' ). Can this be done at all? If not from Javascript, then is there any way from the C end of things? It will be _much_ simpler for users to use the standard operator syntax, rather than have to worry about treating every operation as ...

overload operators
how can I overload the arithmetic operators ? I would like to do something like this: myObject1 a myObject2 b a = create myObject1 b = create myObject2 a = b thanks !!! You cannot. Pb is not C++. You can do it "a la Java". In myObject write a method clone. myObject1 a, b b = create myObject1 a = b.clone() OR, get inspired by of_copyto method of n_tr object (in the PFC). public function integer of_copyto (myObject1 a_target); a_target.foo = This.foo ... And use it like that: myObject1 a myObject2 b a = create myObject1 b = create myObject2 b.of_co...

Operator overloading
I am porting a large C# project to Delphi XE3. This project will also be used in a Mobile project (iOS). The question I have to ask is: why doesn't Delphi allow operator overloading in a class? Why does it allow it in a record only? Thanks! Le 09/02/13 18:26, Karu Kaarigar a écrit : > I am porting a large C# project to Delphi XE3. This project will also > be used in a Mobile project (iOS). The question I have to ask is: why > doesn't Delphi allow operator overloading in a class? Why does it > allow it in a record only? Thanks! Out of interest, if the project...

Overloading operators
Is there any way now, or any plan in the future to allow for overloading operators within objects? Josh No. What exactly do you have in mind? -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com "Joshua Ruppert" <rupe_j@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:xhsh5dcWCHA.300@forums.sybase.com... > Is there any way now, or any plan in the future to allow for overloading > operators within objects? > > Josh > > I just thought it would be nice to be able to compare two instances of the sa...

Operator overloading..
Could anyone advise if it possible to overload comparison operators in classes in Delphi (2009 in this case)... the following document suggests this is possible since Delphi 7 for records, but doesn't specifically reference comparisons (<, >, >=, etc.): http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/34324 Additionally, the link above suggests that operator overloading can be done in records, and not classes - however the 'class' keyword is used in the example which is titled 'record overloading'- most confusing! Any help / insight would be greatly appreciated....

Overloading operators
Is there any way now, or any plan in the future to allow for overloading operators within objects? Josh No. What exactly do you have in mind? -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com "Joshua Ruppert" <rupe_j@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:xhsh5dcWCHA.300@forums.sybase.com... > Is there any way now, or any plan in the future to allow for overloading > operators within objects? > > Josh > > I just thought it would be nice to be able to compare two instances of the sa...

Javascript in Mozilla
> I am having trouble bringing a Javascript code in the mozilla browser. > > I have a html page with the following contents: > > <BASE HREF="http://localhost"> > <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="text/javascript" > src="myscript.js"></SCRIPT> > .. > .. > .. > <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="text/javascript"> > menus = new MenuSet(); > .. > .. > menus.display(); > </SCRIPT> > > When I embed the Javascript code i...

JavaScript and operators
Hello, Imagine I have the following piece of code : var a, b, c; a = new Vector(); b = new Vector(); c = a * b; Would this be possible, using SpiderMonkey? (implementing operators such as * for types) Note: I'm not asking if it's possible to do it in the script, Vector here would be something provided by the host application. Thanks Note2: how come there is so much spam on this newsgroup, I get at least 10 mails with the same virus every day since I first sent a message.. Michael Putters wrote: >Hello, > >Imagine I have the following piec...

[RHINO] Error while executing HTML Included JavaScript : org.mozilla.javascript.EcmaError:"top" is not defined
Hi, I am wrote a programm which analyses websites. I extended the project to support javascript as well. For that I included the rhino library. My HTML Parser is able to get the javascript code out of the html code and can execute that code using rhino. But most javascripts are throwing an error each time they use code like: -------------------------------------------------------------------------- if ((top.window.opener == null) || (top.window.opener.closed==true) || (top.window.opener.su == null)){ ...

Web resources about - Operator Overloading in JavaScript - netscape.mozilla.jseng

Operator overloading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In programming, operator overloading —less commonly known as operator ad hoc polymorphism —is a specific case of polymorphism , where different ...

Overloading loyal supporters a reflection of insecurity
JULIA Gillard has missed the opportunity to take advantage of Labor's latest crisis.

China mulls criminalizing speeding, overloading
China mulls criminalizing speeding, overloading China Daily Partners : - qstheory.cn - PeopleDaily - Xinhua.net - China.org.cn - cntv.com - ...

Chief of S.Korean sunken ferry operator arrested for overloading
Chief of S.Korean sunken ferry operator arrested for overloading People's Daily Online After acquiring the vessel, the Chonghaejin Marine had ...

Overloading, Unauthorized Route Likely Cause Fatal Kindergarten Bus Accident
Overloading, Unauthorized Route Likely Cause Fatal Kindergarten Bus Accident

“Twitch Plays Pokémon” is so big, it’s overloading Twitch’s servers
Even a dedicated server wasn't enough to contain the madness.

Larwyn's Linx: Obama Intentionally Overloading Immigration System, Creating Back Door for Jihadists
Send us tips ! Bloggers: install a Larwyn's Linx widget . Get real-time news, 24/7, at BadBlue . Nation Overloaded Immigration System Creating ...

Domestic Violence Overloading Courts
Nearly 22,000 battered women filed criminal charges against their abusers in Chicago last year, inundating the city`s two Domestic Violence Court ...

Reid overloading Chiefs before mandatory minicamp
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Andy Reid is willing to admit he is overloading the Kansas City Chiefs with as much information as he possibly can ahead of ...

A Language-Design Puzzle in Operator Overloading
Resolving an overloaded function call involves finding a single possibility that is strictly better than all the others.