Newsfeed videos not playing in Mozilla

WinXP Pro, SP2, Moz 1.7.3;

Trying to play videos on a broadband connection from the BBC news page
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/), World Edition.  Instead of a window showing a
page where I confirm connection and media player options (which is how
the link renders in IE), all I get is a duplicate window to the page I'm
already looking at.

Can someone try the link I gave above?  The video link is down the right
side of the page just past halfway, with a red banner and the title "BBC
NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO".  The article brief shown there and the 'VIDEO'
button under the picture both show the same url, but clicking to go to
that link yields vastly different behavior than that with IE.

For the record, I do NOT for one minute think that IE is 'right' here--I
only use it as comparison because I only have IE and Moz installed as
browsers to surf the web.  If the web's overall coding were more in-line
with W3C standards, I wouldn't even try IE.

I have WMP v10 and Realplayer installed, and both appear to behave
themselves with regards to other sites I've browsed with video streams,
so I'm not expecting to change a setting and Viola! it's all good again.

Any insight in to what coding issues there are with the page would be
appreciated.  Thanks.
0
Rickles
10/7/2004 4:20:24 PM
netscape.mozilla.general 7061 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:20:24 +0100, Rickles wrote:

> WinXP Pro, SP2, Moz 1.7.3;
>
> Trying to play videos on a broadband connection from the BBC news page
> (http://news.bbc.co.uk/), World Edition.  Instead of a window showing a
> page where I confirm connection and media player options (which is how
> the link renders in IE), all I get is a duplicate window to the page I'm
> already looking at.

<snip>

Oddly enough I too noticed this for the first time today, having just
upgraded firefox to 1.0 from 0.9.3 (linux).  In firefox I now see a
message at the top of the screen to the effect that the site has been
prevented from opening (the page that is) the BBC's media-selector popup.
It gives me the option to allow the window to appear - but it still fails
to open when I choose that. It also fails (a) if I allow the BBC to open
popups (I already did) and (b) even if I uncheck the popup blocker in my
prefs.

I *can* get the media selector to appear if I click the silvet "watch BBC
news in video" button at the top of the screen.

From a linux-users point of view, none of this surprises me very much.
Whenever I manage to get the damned site working the BBC tinker with it
and I am in the fertiliser business again.

It is odd, though, that the popup is blocked even if I uncheck popup
blocking entirely.

An old Mozilla nightly that I have hanging around does not exhibit the
problem.

Geoff
0
Geoff
10/7/2004 5:02:57 PM
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:02:57 +0100, Geoff wrote:

<snip>

Following up my own post, I can get the news window to open from the video
link on the rh side if I disable the Tabbrowser Extensions.  Maybe there
is a Tabbrowser pref that would make them play nice together, but I have
not had time to investigate that.

Geoff
0
Geoff
10/7/2004 5:31:17 PM
Rickles wrote:

> WinXP Pro, SP2, Moz 1.7.3;
>
> Trying to play videos on a broadband connection from the BBC news page
> (http://news.bbc.co.uk/), World Edition.  Instead of a window showing a
> page where I confirm connection and media player options (which is how
> the link renders in IE), all I get is a duplicate window to the page I'm
> already looking at.
>
> Can someone try the link I gave above?  The video link is down the right
> side of the page just past halfway, with a red banner and the title "BBC
> NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO".  The article brief shown there and the 'VIDEO'
> button under the picture both show the same url, but clicking to go to
> that link yields vastly different behavior than that with IE.
>
> For the record, I do NOT for one minute think that IE is 'right' here--I
> only use it as comparison because I only have IE and Moz installed as
> browsers to surf the web.  If the web's overall coding were more in-line
> with W3C standards, I wouldn't even try IE.
>
> I have WMP v10 and Realplayer installed, and both appear to behave
> themselves with regards to other sites I've browsed with video streams,
> so I'm not expecting to change a setting and Viola! it's all good again.
>
> Any insight in to what coding issues there are with the page would be
> appreciated.  Thanks.
Moz 1.7.3 and Win98, with WMP & RealPlayer.

I clicked on the first video there, and I got another window, asking me
which player to try, I selected RealPlayer, then it connected to the video.

No problems here.  Try deleting your cookies and clearing your cache.

Andreas
--
Information wanted:  http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

Pooh Ba -- As in the The International Order of Water Buffalos, and the
Loyal Order of Racoons.

To contact me remove the other name for "Canned Meat"
0
Andreas