Firefox does not save all passwords

I just started using Firefox as my main browser.  A great feature is
that it saves the log in information (user name and password) for most
sites.  But there are quite a few sites where Firefox does not save the
log in information (e.g. American Express).  Why is it?  Is there anyway
to manually save the log in information?  Thanks.
0
tenplay
10/12/2004 7:33:05 AM
netscape.mozilla.general 7061 articles. 0 followers. Follow

tenplay wrote:

> I just started using Firefox as my main browser.  A great feature is
> that it saves the log in information (user name and password) for most
> sites.  But there are quite a few sites where Firefox does not save the
> log in information (e.g. American Express).  Why is it?  Is there anyway
> to manually save the log in information?  Thanks.
Some sites turn off your password managers ability to save your
passwords.  There is a work around, but it doesn't always work for every
site.

Here's what you do.  Go to this site,
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password and
drag the bookmarklet (javascript) to your Personal Toolbar (or wherever
you store your passwords).  Now, go to the American Express login page,
click on the bookmarklet, click on the OK that pops-up, enter your user
name and password and login, then you should get the password manager
asking if you want to save your password.  And thats it.  As I said, it
should work.

Andreas
--
Information wanted:  http://www.ltinc.net/sass/

Pooh Ba -- As in the The International Order of Water Buffalos, and the
Loyal Order of Racoons.

To contact me remove the other name for "Canned Meat"
0
Andreas
10/12/2004 1:31:27 PM
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 06:31:27 -0700, "Andreas, His Excellency, The
Imperial Grand Pooh-Bah" <crittersCANNED@SPAMpostmark.net> wrote:

>tenplay wrote:
>
>> I just started using Firefox as my main browser.  A great feature is
>> that it saves the log in information (user name and password) for most
>> sites.  But there are quite a few sites where Firefox does not save the
>> log in information (e.g. American Express).  Why is it?  Is there anyway
>> to manually save the log in information?  Thanks.
>Some sites turn off your password managers ability to save your
>passwords.  There is a work around, but it doesn't always work for every
>site.

>Here's what you do.  Go to this site,
>http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password and
>drag the bookmarklet (javascript) to your Personal Toolbar (or wherever
>you store your passwords).  Now, go to the American Express login page,
>click on the bookmarklet, click on the OK that pops-up, enter your user
>name and password and login, then you should get the password manager
>asking if you want to save your password.  And thats it.  As I said, it
>should work.

I thought that was fixed in Mozilla so that all you need to do is set
some preference having to do with autocomplete override or whatever.

However, even that won't work if the attribute "password" is not
present in an INPUT tag. Some sites get around your trying to subvert
their forced password entry by collecting it separately (which Mozilla
cannot detect) and then passing it to the FORM INPUT.

For those sites I use Form Manager. That involves one more step,
namely having to invoke FM each time, but it beats having to look up
the bloody login in my password keeper.

There's another way around this that I used with a bank one time. I
saved the HTML Source for the login page and edited out all the BS,
keeping the bare essentials to log in. Then I hardcoded the login
information. To use it I built a bookmark that opened the HTML file
from my hard disk. It worked but I switched back to the street legal
method after Mozilla fixed the autocomplete bug. The bank had a nasty
habit of changing their login codewords all the time so I would have
to edit my cheat script.

0
spam
10/12/2004 4:44:34 PM
Andreas, His Excellency, The Imperial Grand Pooh-Bah wrote:
> tenplay wrote:
>
>> I just started using Firefox as my main browser.  A great feature is
>> that it saves the log in information (user name and password) for most
>> sites.  But there are quite a few sites where Firefox does not save
>> the log in information (e.g. American Express).  Why is it?  Is there
>> anyway to manually save the log in information?  Thanks.
>
> Some sites turn off your password managers ability to save your
> passwords.  There is a work around, but it doesn't always work for every
> site.
>
> Here's what you do.  Go to this site,
> http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password and
> drag the bookmarklet (javascript) to your Personal Toolbar (or wherever
> you store your passwords).  Now, go to the American Express login page,
> click on the bookmarklet, click on the OK that pops-up, enter your user
> name and password and login, then you should get the password manager
> asking if you want to save your password.  And thats it.  As I said, it
> should work.
>
> Andreas

Thanks.  Your suggestion worked for America Express.  However it doesn't
work for my work webpage that asks for User ID and PIN.  Bob, you
suggested using Form Manager to get around this.  How would you use it
with Firefox?
0
tenplay
10/12/2004 9:03:16 PM
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:03:16 -0700, tenplay <tenplay@mail.com> wrote:

>Bob, you
>suggested using Form Manager to get around this.  How would you use it
>with Firefox?

I do not use FF  - only Mozilla 1.7.

In Mozilla 1.7, and presumably FF too, you find FM under Tools. The
rest is self explanatory.

0
spam
10/13/2004 5:28:24 AM
Bob wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:03:16 -0700, tenplay <tenplay@mail.com> wrote:
>

>>Bob, you
>>suggested using Form Manager to get around this.  How would you use it
>>with Firefox?
>

> I do not use FF  - only Mozilla 1.7.
>
> In Mozilla 1.7, and presumably FF too, you find FM under Tools. The
> rest is self explanatory.

I cannot locate FM under Tools in FF.  It's strange that it would be in
Mozilla and not FF.  Oh well.
0
tenplay
10/13/2004 7:27:46 AM
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:27:46 -0700, tenplay <tenplay@mail.com> wrote:

>I cannot locate FM under Tools in FF.  It's strange that it would be in
>Mozilla and not FF.  Oh well.

See if you can get that AutoForm extension to work.

http://autoform.mozdev.org/installation.html#

It won't work in my Mozilla 1.7.

0
spam
10/13/2004 12:53:53 PM
On 13.10.2004 02:27, tenplay wrote:

>>>suggested using Form Manager to get around this.  How would you use it
>>>with Firefox?
>>

>> I do not use FF  - only Mozilla 1.7.
>>
>> In Mozilla 1.7, and presumably FF too, you find FM under Tools. The
>> rest is self explanatory.
>>

> I cannot locate FM under Tools in FF.  It's strange that it would be in
> Mozilla and not FF.  Oh well.

In FF -> Tools -> Options -> Privacy

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion - Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
On 2004-10-13, tenplay <tenplay@mail.com> wrote:

> I cannot locate FM under Tools in FF.  It's strange that it would be in
> Mozilla and not FF.  Oh well.

Try "autoform" http://autoform.mozdev.org/

It works for me on sites that disable saving passwords.

--

-John (john@os2.dhs.org)
0
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 13.10.2004 02:27, tenplay wrote:
>
>> Bob wrote:

>>> I do not use FF - only Mozilla 1.7.
>>>
>>> In Mozilla 1.7, and presumably FF too, you find FM under Tools. The
>>> rest is self explanatory.
>>
>> I cannot locate FM under Tools in FF. It's strange that it would be
>> in Mozilla and not FF. Oh well.
>
> In FF -> Tools -> Options -> Privacy

I don't see how this is supposed to work. All that's there is a toggle
to turn on saving of form information. I have that toggled on already.
Bob seems to imply a form manager that he somehow has to run and
manipulate to get the fields saved. I don't see that in FF.

My problem is different (though I do also experience the same problem
too sometimes). The site that I want it to work on is at
https://banking.uboc.com/UBOC/BankAtHome/LoginFrameset.jsp which is my
bank. Recently they added a 3rd field, zip code. Now the form manager
memorizes my Access# and Online PIN but fails to remember my Zip/Postal
Code. When I asked about this before, and after verifying that the Save
Passwords bookmarklet does not work in this situation, I played with
signons.txt by hand removing the entry stored for UBOC. After revisiting
the page and having to enter the information again, this time Firefox
indeed saved all three fields! And for a while it worked. Then, for some
unknown reason and without me carefully watching it, it broke again.
Same problem, remember the first 2 fields and fails to memorize the zip
code.

But thinking about this I ask myself "Why are passwords an issue at
all?". I mean how is a password different than any other field on a form
that the form manager should be remembering except to say that when
rendered or outputted into the form its appearance is altered so as to
obscure its cleartext value? IOW what's special about a password that
makes it sometimes be forgotten by the form manager?

--
I don't have a license to kill. I have a learner's permit.
0
<Andrew@DeFaria.com> wrote:

>how is a password different than any other field on a form
>that the form manager should be remembering except to say that when
>rendered or outputted into the form its appearance is altered so as to
>obscure its cleartext value? IOW what's special about a password that
>makes it sometimes be forgotten by the form manager?

The thing that makes passwords unique is the explicit use of the
attribute

type="password"

in the <input> tag

0
spam
--------------010904090700050108060307

Bob wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:30:32 -0700, Andrew DeFaria
> <Andrew@DeFaria.com> wrote:
>
>> how is a password different than any other field on a form that the
>> form manager should be remembering except to say that when rendered
>> or outputted into the form its appearance is altered so as to obscure
>> its cleartext value? IOW what's special about a password that makes
>> it sometimes be forgotten by the form manager?
>
> The thing that makes passwords unique is the explicit use of the
> attribute
>
> type="password"
>
> in the <input> tag

Oh come on! You know what I mean. I know that type="password" signifies
that it's a password and that that is a sign that the password should be
obscured instead of displayed in plain text. That's not the point! From
the "saving form fields" perspective, why should Firefox treat
type="password" any much different than any other <input> field (aside
from again encrypting it before storing it in signons.txt)? IOW If it
saves "Enter username: <input type='text'>" as form data then why should
it not also save "Enter password: <input type='password'>" as form
data?!? The semantics of password fields should only affect its display
and storage as encrypted but otherwise the saving of the password should
not really be handled any differently than the saving of any other bit
of form information.

--
Honk If you want to see my finger

--------------010904090700050108060307

<head>
</head>
Bob wrote:
 type="cite">On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:30:32 -0700, Andrew DeFaria<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:Andrew@DeFaria.com">&lt;Andrew@DeFaria.com&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
field on a form that the form manager should be remembering except to
say that when rendered or outputted into the form its appearance is
altered so as to obscure its cleartext value? IOW what's special about
a password that makes it sometimes be forgotten by the form manager?<br>
<!---->The thing that makes passwords unique is the explicit use of the
attribute <br>
type="password"<br>
in the &lt;input&gt; tag<br>
Oh come on! You know what I mean. I know that type="password" signifies
that it's a password and that that is a sign that the password should
be obscured instead of displayed in plain text. That's not the point!
From the "saving form fields" perspective, why should Firefox treat
type="password" any much different than any other &lt;input&gt; field
(aside from again encrypting it before storing it in signons.txt)? IOW
If it saves "Enter username: &lt;input type='text'&gt;" as form data
then why should it not also save "Enter password: &lt;input
type='password'&gt;" as form data?!? The semantics of password fields
should only affect its display and storage as encrypted but otherwise
the saving of the password should not really be handled any differently
than the saving of any other bit of form information.<br>
-- <br>
Honk If you want to see my finger<br>

--------------010904090700050108060307--
0
Andrew

Firefox,Mozilla Firefox,Firefox download,Mozilla Firefox download
Download Firefox Firefox,Mozilla Firefox,Firefox download,Mozilla Firefox download http://soft.topcities.com/Firefox.htm On 2006-11-28 20:04 (-0700 UTC), idownweb.com wrote: > Download Firefox > > Firefox,Mozilla Firefox,Firefox download,Mozilla Firefox download > > http://soft.topcities.com/Firefox.htm Mebbe it's just me, but isn't this kind of a silly place to spam with something like this? /b. -- 'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter Wow, now thats totally random. On 28 Nov 2006 19:04:38 -0800, ...

Recovering and importing saved passwords & forms from Mozilla to Firefox
I've switched from Mozilla to Firefox. Love Firefox, but it will only import my bookmarks, not anything else. Is there some particular folder that I can find and copy to some subdirectory that has this information so I can import it? Thanks. ___________________________________________________ Camilla Cracchiolo Registered Nurse Los Angeles, California camilla4@mindspring.com webpage temporarily down Camilla Cracchiolo <camilla4@mindspring.com> wrote in news:a7o4m0d80rvsn0oq0dj4lvrphmq9dplit0@4ax.co...

Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server
Name: Vladimir Ilyash Email: fundamentatoratyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server Comments: When I access Firefox 3 Beta 5 through local proxy-server and open a new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs it opens so many saved password dialog windows as there are tabs opened. So I need to click OK in every dialog window to allow access to proxy with saved credentials and load all saved tabs. Moreover, whene...

[Hendrix] Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server
Name: Vladimir Ilyash Email: fundamentatoratyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server Comments: When I access Firefox 3 Beta 5 through local proxy-server and open a new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs it opens so many saved password dialog windows as there are tabs opened. So I need to click OK in every dialog window to allow access to proxy with saved credentials and load all saved tabs. Moreover, whene...

Saved Passwords: master password for hiding saved passwords but not for using them
Name: Josh Abbe Email: joshabbe2atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Saved Passwords: master password for hiding saved passwords but not for using them Comments: Hey Firefox, I love how you save my passwords for sites that I frequent. Under tools/options/security, I am able to view all of my passwords that I have saved for various sites. I have a few issues with this. First of all, the default is to just show all passwords to anyone who tries to see them. So, if my roommate uses firefox but doesnt know much about computers and just clicks "save my password ...

FireFox no saving Passwords.
What do I need to set in about config in FF2.0.0.11 to make FF save passwords. It will abide by passwords already entered but if you change a password and the remove the listing to reset It won't save the password. No problems in SM 1.1.7 -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Phillip M. Jones, CET http://www.vpea.org If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9...

Firefox Saved Passwords
Name: Ashley Hoskins Email: ash-hoskathotmaildotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Saved Passwords Comments: In the saveed passwords pannel other people are able to view your passwords. I think you should be able to set a password to be able to view your saved passwords. Otherwise someone could just load up Firefox open the Options pannel click Show Passwords and get access to everything you have on the internet. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.moz...

Error when firefox asks to save entered password/username and entered password is empty
Name: Palm Kevin Email: palmdotkevinatgmxdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Error when firefox asks to save entered password/username and entered password is empty Comments: When firefox asks to save entered password/username and entered password is empty (toolbar that appears on top of page after the user/pwd has been entered) than the following unnormal beahiour occurs: When click on remember, bar doesn't dissapear! and next time I go to this page user/password have not been saved! I'd like Firefox to always remember entered username and passord (empty in this case) ...

Starting up Firefox with multiple tabs saved, multiple prompts for proxy password and master password occur
Name: Pavel Tcholakov Email: pcholakovatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Starting up Firefox with multiple tabs saved, multiple prompts for proxy password and master password occur Comments: If using a proxy that requires a password, when Firefox is started and multiple tabs have been saved from a prevoius session, there will be multiple proxy password dialogs popped up. If a Master Password is used, there will also be multiple password dialgos for that - one per tab saved from the previous session. Firefox should only prompt for a password once, globally, not once per t...

Option to start firefox with no Browsing History, Download History, Saved Form and Search History, Cache, Cookies, saved passwords, authenticated sessions.
Name: Poul Wittig Email: poulwittigatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Option to start firefox with no Browsing History, Download History, Saved Form and Search History, Cache, Cookies, saved passwords, authenticated sessions. Comments: I own a laptop, and there are many situations in which a classmate/parent/whatever wish to borrow my computer to either check there email, calender or simply just surf the web. Now it would be great if there was an option to start Firefox with no personal information such as Browsing History, Download History, Saved Form and Search History...

The new Firefox 3.5
Name: Daniel Email: bossennewpatgarrifuliodotmailexpiredotcom Product: Firefox Summary: The new Firefox 3.5 - when using same username for different sites with different passwords, when I save the password on one site, the one in the other site changes too. Comments: The new Firefox 3.5 - when using same username to log on to two different websites with different passwords, when I save the password on one site, the one in the other site changes too. I cannot save different passwords for same username on different sites. Hope you can fix this. Keep up the good work. Brow...

Prevent saving Password in firefox
I am working on a login page. On firefox, it always provides user to remember the user ID and Password. I want to prevent the browser automaticly remember user ID and password. I can't remove it on coding. Anyone have any idea? I really appreciate. Thanks That is Client side so you can write a Jqvascript code snippet that clears that field .... Offcourse you can disable in browser itself from .... Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Passwords -> View Saved Passwords -> Passwords Never SavedASP.Net Tips & Tricks - Jawad's Blog Thanks. I write a small piece of Javascript. Th...

firefox saved login/passwords?
howdy, is there a way to export my saved login/passwords? i had a file called signons.txt that appeared to have that info (encrypted) but when i copy it into a new install of firefox the login/passwords don't show up in the saved password option. or in the alternative - what file(s) do i need to copy from an old profile into a new install to get the logins/passwords working? ps i had upgraded to 1.05 from 1.04 and have been having problems with the new firefox hanging in the background. so i uninstalled, cleared the registry of firefox entries and reinstalled 1.04. i have ...

Firefox has no saves passwords anymore
This is a MIME-formatted message. If you see this text it means that your E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages. --=_michelle1-30574-1323784992-0001-2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello*, I run a highly secured Admin-Workstation using Debian Lenny with Firefox 3.0.6 and installed a second production system using Debian Squeeze with Firefox 3.5.16 Now, ANY passwords are not more there. The whole list of more then 18.000 passwords is lost. Since I can not migrate ...

Web resources about - Firefox does not save all passwords - netscape.mozilla.general

One-time password - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A one-time password (OTP) is a password that is valid for only one login session or transaction. OTPs avoid a number of shortcomings that are ...

Oregon To Consider Bill Blocking Employers From Demanding Applicants’ Facebook Passwords
The Oregon House of Representatives will hear a bill Friday that would prevent employers from demanding that job applicants reveal their passwords ...

Keeping Passwords Secure
The Facebook Security team has always kept a close eye on data breach announcements from other organizations. Theft of personal data like email ...

New Facebook Security Features: One-Time Passwords, Security Info
Facebook has launched two new security features to help users stay in control of their accounts. Users can now receive a one-time password from ...

Newest ransomware pilfers passwords before encrypting gigabytes of data
A new wave of crypto ransomware is hitting Windows users courtesy of poorly secured websites. Those sites are infected with Angler, the off-the-shelf ...

The traditional password won't exist in 10 years
Security professionals are increasingly moving beyond passwords towards alternative authentication methods according to a new survey. The study ...

Deutsche Bank is considering killing passwords to making online banking safer
Deutsche Bank is considering scrapping traditional passwords in favour of thumbprint technology, facial recognition, and smart tech that knows ...

13 million MacKeeper users exposed by Shodan search, no password or hacking required
Your privacy and security is a top priority for the company behind MacKeeper; at least that’s what Kromtech claimed after 13 million user account ...

Change your passwords: NexusMods suffers database breach
I hope you've got your password strategies down because you'll have to think up a new one if you've got an account at Nexus Mods, the popular ...

Time Warner Cable CEO Not Worried About Password Sharing -
Charter CEO Tom Rutledge recently complained that the company views HBO password sharing as " stealing ," and that the industry needs to seriously ...