Is anyone else having problems with news.google.com?

Mozilla v1.7.3 doesn't seem to render it properly and mozilla.exe hogs
like crazy. I even turned off Java, JS, images, fonts, colors, cookies,
etc. I tested Debian's Mozilla v1.7.3, and it had no problems. I already
cleared the caches, but they didn't work.

How about the rest of you? Thank you in advance.
--
"Although you're a little ant, I won't bully you." --Sai Yuk from The
Legend of Fong Sai Yuk movie (English subtitles)
  | |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
     \ _ /     Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
      ( )
Ant is currently not listening to any songs right now.
0
Ant
10/11/2004 6:37:37 AM
netscape.mozilla.browser 4970 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:37:37 -0700, in message
<ckd9nn$50b2@ripley.netscape.com>, Ant wrote:

> Subject: Is anyone else having problems with news.google.com?
> Mozilla v1.7.3 doesn't seem to render it properly

Works for me.   Mozilla 1.7.3 on MS-Windows 98.

In what way is it "not properly" for you?

> and mozilla.exe hogs
> like crazy.

No such problem here either.

> I even turned off Java, JS, images, fonts, colors, cookies,
> etc. I tested Debian's Mozilla v1.7.3, and it had no problems.

You didn't say which OS version was the one with problems,
but from your headers I presume that it is MS-Windows XP.

> I already
> cleared the caches, but they didn't work.

Have you scanned for spyware and for viruses?

> How about the rest of you? Thank you in advance.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
0
Ralph

See screen shot: http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/temp/Moz173-newsgoogle.gif

>>and mozilla.exe hogs
>>like crazy.
>

> No such problem here either.
>

>>I even turned off Java, JS, images, fonts, colors, cookies,
>>etc. I tested Debian's Mozilla v1.7.3, and it had no problems.
>

> You didn't say which OS version was the one with problems,
> but from your headers I presume that it is MS-Windows XP.

Yes, XP Pro SP2.

>>I already
>>cleared the caches, but they didn't work.
>

> Have you scanned for spyware and for viruses?

Yep recently.
--
"When an ant gets wings, it loses its head." --Bosnian Proverb
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \      Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
     \ _ /     Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
      ( )
Ant is currently not listening to any songs right now.
0
Ant
10/11/2004 10:02:20 AM
On 10/11/2004 3:02 AM PT, Ant wrote:

>> Works for me.   Mozilla 1.7.3 on MS-Windows 98.
>>
>> In what way is it "not properly" for you?
>
> See screen shot: http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/temp/Moz173-newsgoogle.gif
>
>>> and mozilla.exe hogs like crazy.
>>
>> No such problem here either.
>>
>>> I even turned off Java, JS, images, fonts, colors, cookies, etc. I
>>> tested Debian's Mozilla v1.7.3, and it had no problems.
>>
>> You didn't say which OS version was the one with problems, but from
>> your headers I presume that it is MS-Windows XP.
>
> Yes, XP Pro SP2.
>

>>> I already cleared the caches, but they didn't work.
>>
>> Have you scanned for spyware and for viruses?
>
> Yep recently.

FYI. I still have this problem after making a new profile. Weird. It
worked in the past. Does Mozilla have any debugging options/tools to
analyze this problem? I do not see this problem on oother Web sites and
other computers with Mozilla v1.7.3 (Debian and Windows 2000 SP4). And,
I do not use any ad blocking software/plugins.
--
"I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find
tractors small enough to fit it." --Steven Wright
   / /\ /\ \      Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
     \ _ /     Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
      ( )
Ant is/was listening to a song: Real McCoy - Automatic Lover (Single
Version)
0
Ant
10/12/2004 3:39:43 AM
On 10/11/2004 8:39 PM PT, Ant wrote:

>>> In what way is it "not properly" for you?
>>
>> See screen shot: http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/temp/Moz173-newsgoogle.gif

>>> No such problem here either.

>>> You didn't say which OS version was the one with problems, but from
>>> your headers I presume that it is MS-Windows XP.
>>
>> Yes, XP Pro SP2.

>>> Have you scanned for spyware and for viruses?
>>
>> Yep recently.
>
> FYI. I still have this problem after making a new profile. Weird. It
> worked in the past. Does Mozilla have any debugging options/tools to
> analyze this problem? I do not see this problem on oother Web sites and
> other computers with Mozilla v1.7.3 (Debian and Windows 2000 SP4). And,
> I do not use any ad blocking software/plugins.

I think I figured out what is causing this weirdness in
http://news.google.com/ ... I noticed everytime I go to this location, I
  noticed Mozilla's View Menu -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8)
is selected. If I quickly change to Western (ISO-8859-1), then the Web
page is rendered correctly.

Is there a reason why Mozilla is changing to Unicode (UTF-8) by itself
with this URL? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the
summer." --Proverbs 30:25 (Bible)
   / /\ /\ \      Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
     \ _ /     Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
      ( )
Ant is currently not listening to any songs right now.
0
Ant
10/18/2004 8:18:34 AM
Hi Phillip (Ant),

> On 10/11/2004 8:39 PM PT, Ant wrote:
>
> Is there a reason why Mozilla is changing to Unicode (UTF-8) by itself
> with this URL? Thank you in advance. :)

The reason would be that http://news.google.com/ has set
the 'charset' to UTF-8 for its Web pages.

See the source code (Ctrl+U). The 'charset' code will look like this:

There might be a way to configure your browser to always
use a Character Encoding of your choice.

Regards,
Thomas Jedenfelt
Tyres� (Stockholm), Sweden
http://go.to/thj/
0
thomas_jedenfelt_1
10/18/2004 5:18:35 PM
On 10/18/2004 10:18 AM PT, Thomas Jedenfelt wrote:

>>Is there a reason why Mozilla is changing to Unicode (UTF-8) by itself
>>with this URL? Thank you in advance. :)
>
> The reason would be that http://news.google.com/ has set
> the 'charset' to UTF-8 for its Web pages.
>
> See the source code (Ctrl+U). The 'charset' code will look like this:
>
> There might be a way to configure your browser to always
> use a Character Encoding of your choice.

Hmmm, you are right since my office computer does the same without
problems! That still doesn't explain why this UTF-8 is all screwy in
this URL. Does this UTF-8 use specialized fonts or something in Windows?
--
"I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book
   / /\ /\ \      Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
     \ _ /     Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
      ( )
Ant is currently not listening to any songs right now.
0
Ant
10/19/2004 4:12:38 AM

>>> See screen shot: http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/temp/Moz173-newsgoogle.gif

>>> Yes, XP Pro SP2.

>>> Yep recently.
>>
>> FYI. I still have this problem after making a new profile. Weird. It
>> worked in the past. Does Mozilla have any debugging options/tools to
>> analyze this problem? I do not see this problem on oother Web sites
>> and other computers with Mozilla v1.7.3 (Debian and Windows 2000 SP4).
>> And, I do not use any ad blocking software/plugins.
>
> I think I figured out what is causing this weirdness in
> http://news.google.com/ ... I noticed everytime I go to this location, I
>  noticed Mozilla's View Menu -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8) is
> selected. If I quickly change to Western (ISO-8859-1), then the Web page
> is rendered correctly.
>
> Is there a reason why Mozilla is changing to Unicode (UTF-8) by itself
> with this URL? Thank you in advance. :)

A few more tests. I tried uninstalling Mozilla v1.7.3 and installing
into a new location. That didn't fix the problem. I tried IE6.0 SP1 with
news.google.com. No problems and it was in UTF-8. Grr!!! What's the heck
is going on? :(
--
"An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox." --Mexican Proverb
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \      Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
     \ _ /     Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
      ( )
Ant is currently not listening to any songs right now.
0
Ant
10/19/2004 6:54:25 AM

>>> FYI. I still have this problem after making a new profile. Weird. It
>>> worked in the past. Does Mozilla have any debugging options/tools to
>>> analyze this problem? I do not see this problem on oother Web sites
>>> and other computers with Mozilla v1.7.3 (Debian and Windows 2000
>>> SP4). And, I do not use any ad blocking software/plugins.
>>

>> I think I figured out what is causing this weirdness in
>> http://news.google.com/ ... I noticed everytime I go to this location,
>> I  noticed Mozilla's View Menu -> Character Encoding -> Unicode
>> (UTF-8) is selected. If I quickly change to Western (ISO-8859-1), then
>> the Web page is rendered correctly.
>>
>> Is there a reason why Mozilla is changing to Unicode (UTF-8) by itself
>> with this URL? Thank you in advance. :)
>
> A few more tests. I tried uninstalling Mozilla v1.7.3 and installing
> into a new location. That didn't fix the problem. I tried IE6.0 SP1 with
> news.google.com. No problems and it was in UTF-8. Grr!!! What's the heck
> is going on? :(

OK, I *THINK* I fixed the problem. I uninstalled the Asian fonts,
rebooted, tested Mozilla with news.google.com, still had the problem,
reinstalled the fonts, rebooted, and retested. Hmm! Maybe corrupted
fonts? Let's hope it stays that way! :)
--
"Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw
from us. We need hours of aimless wandering or spates of time sitting on
   / /\ /\ \      Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |       E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
     \ _ /     Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
      ( )
Ant is currently not listening to any songs right now.
0
Ant
10/19/2004 8:49:07 AM
Ant <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:

> Hmmm, you are right since my office computer does the same without
> problems! That still doesn't explain why this UTF-8 is all screwy in
> this URL. Does this UTF-8 use specialized fonts or something in Windows?

Hi Phillip,

It is strange to me that your browser (Mozilla v1.7.3) does
not display the content.

I don't think it is the Character Encoding ('charset') that
makes http://news.google.com/ not show the content in your
browser, as shown in your screenshot
(http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/temp/Moz173-newsgoogle.gif),
except for the site navigation links to the top and left.

Although the content is not displayed, the content may still
be there.

To check if your browser actually loads the content,
you can save that page to your computer, and then view
the source code (in a Text Editor).

In that file, you should find the content that is not visible
in your browser (if you are familiar with viewing source code).

Also, the Character Encoding [1] has nothing to do with Fonts.

The Character Encoding tells the application (eg. browser) what
letters and other characters [2] can be used in a (Web)document.

Font is a way to specify how these letters and characters will
look like [3].

Both the Web page author and the visitor, can specify a Font type
and a Character Encoding.

[1] Examples of Character Encodings: ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) and UTF-8.
    The Character Encoding is specified in the Web page with
    this HTML code:

[2] Many languages have more letters than the English' A-Z.
    German and Swedish have the letter �, an O with two dots above.
    Besides letters, there are also characters for symbols,
    for example: currency signs.

[3] Examples of Fonts types:
    Arial, Geneva, Helvetica (san-serif)
    Times New Roman (serif)
    Courier (monospace)
    Lucida Handwriting (cursive)

NOTE: I am not an expert on the use of Character Encodings and
how it works. It is an issue that I found difficult to understand.

I hope this helps,
Thomas Jedenfelt
Tyres� (Stockholm), Sweden
http://go.to/thj/
0
thomas_jedenfelt_1

Firefox using google brings up an error in my website that is not brought up using other browsers. My website is www.biblemetaphors.com. Where can I find help to fix this problem. The problem is in th
Name: Donald R. Strombeck Email: dstrombeck_at_sbcglobal.net Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox using google brings up an error in my website that is not brought up using other browsers. My website is www.biblemetaphors.com. Where can I find help to fix this problem. The problem is in the number 2 item on teaching evolution. The error consists of a series of vertical arrows that should appear in a figure two-thirds to three-fourths of the way down the page. Thanks for any help. Don Strombeck Comments: Firefox using google brings up an error in my website that is not brought up usi...

How can I get out of my Mozilla's browser the Winamp browser and get back the Google's or Mozilla's browser.
Please I have got to my browser ( I don't know how.) the Winamp browser he behave like virus stick in.But he doesn't has uninstalation section so I can't do anything to get him away from Mozilla's file. I'm not happy of Winamp's behave its like advertisement against a customer's will. Please is there any way to get him away from Mozilla?Please send me exact direction I have tried many ways but he is deeply inside the systeme so when I install new Mozilla he is always here ready to pester me. Thank you for an answer. Richard ...

Problem getting to google.com when pull up Mozilla
Name: Jerdee Email: jjerdee_at_cox.net Product: Firefox Summary: Problem getting to google.com when pull up Mozilla Comments: Get "The connection was refused when attempting to contact google.com when I pull up Mozilla. Did uninstall and reinstall with same result. Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ...

Anyone else experiencing Problems at PortalWebHosting.com
Several months ago, I signed up with Kenny at portalwebhosting.com. He was on the DNN Core team and I felt since I was going to be running DNN for my business, I would be much safer going with someone familiar with DNN and on the Core team. Since I placed my site there and paid the hosting fee a year in advance, Kenny has sold PortalWebHosting to another company. My service with Kenny was excellent. He was very helpful in setting up DNN and clearing up the snags. NOW, the story is much different. Thursday: my site was flaky (frequent failure of data entry updates, unreliable m...

http://news.google.com cause to crash of the browser
Name: michel Email: michel.vaknin_at_gmail.com Product: Firefox 2 Beta 2 Summary: http://news.google.com cause to crash of the browser Comments: when the http://news.google.com is set as the home page, sometimes openning the browser (with the defult home page) the browser crash Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060821 Firefox/2.0b2 ...

openInfoWindowHtml problem of google map API in mozilla browser
I am using google map api for displaying markers and information window for marker.My javascript code is :function plot(){    var point = new GLatLng(parseFloat(19.954204),parseFloat(73.730673));     map.addOverlay(createMarker(point));}function createMarker(latlng){    var marker = new GMarker(latlng);    GEvent.addListener(marker,"mouseover", function(){    var myHtml = "marker 1";    map.openInfoWindowHtml(latlng, myHtml);});      GEvent.addListener(marker,"mouseout", function(){&...

Problem with support.mozilla.com site in two browsers.
Name: Alexandr Email: mbbotatidotua Product: Other (please state) Summary: Problem with support.mozilla.com site in two browsers. Comments: On page http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/About+Firefox+Support I can't switch to other than english languages on IE7 and Firefox 3.0.5. Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

ASP.NET help...Anyone else using Mozilla as your browser?
Anyone? I am trying some ASP.NET, and since I have switched to Mozilla Browser I have had coding problems. WHen I use something simple like this in ASP.NET <asp:label BackColor="#000000" ForeColor="#FFFFFF" ID="lblHeader" runat="server" Text="Login Page" ToolTip="Welcome balh blah" width="100%" height="25px"></asp:label> it is not displayed in Mozilla. Any thoughts as too why? Mozilla renders based on Navigator HTML coding? Resolution?Paladine "....doing what other find diffic...

Anyone else get weird problems accessing this news server?
Not all the time, but many times, as soon as I access this news server weird things begin to happen if I am running XP and outlook express to read these NG's. Most often, I get the 'now working offline' dialogue, as if something is attempting to knock the connection offline, but since Steve fixed the IP addy scheme have not seen that since. Recently, I got an error message specifying a certain address involving IE , and it had to close...I had Outlook Express open , reading these NG's and was browsing the net with IE. I have all the patches and updates installed.f...

Results of google search swap "books.mozilla.com" for "books.google.com"
Name: John Lloyd Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Results of google search swap "books.mozilla.com" for "books.google.com" Comments: A Google search through the Firefox start page (http://en-us.start3.mozilla.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official) gives results that have links to "books.mozilla.com" when the appropriate source is "books.google.com". For example: http://en-us.start3.mozilla.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Bjo&q=mangro...

Problem loading google.com and gmail.com
I just bought a new laptop, a Dell Vostro 1310, and installed opensuse 11.1 on it, at first everything went ok, but after i upgraded the system, i can't load neither google.com or gmail.com (regardless of the browser), it's weird because i have this problem only when i'm connected through wifi. if i put the google.com ip on the browser, it loads the google site and everything is ok... so it might be the dns... but i do a nslookup and i do get the google.com ip..... I don't think the access point could be the problem since with my other laptop everything works fine.....

我的火狐浏览器启动时“http://zh-cn.www.mozilla.com/zh-CN/firefox/2.0.0.11/firstrun/”总是自动弹出,同时弹出的还有“http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:zh-CN:official” 这个问题怎么解决?
Name: 向chunghwa Email: sinoxlatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 我的火狐浏览器启动时“http://zh-cn.www.mozilla.com/zh-CN/firefox/2.0.0.11/firstrun/”总是自动弹出,同时弹出的还有“http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:zh-CN:official” 这个问题怎么解决? Comments: 我的火狐浏览器启动时“http://zh-cn.www.mozilla.com/zh-CN/firefox/2.0.0.11 /firstrun/”总是自动弹出,同时弹出的还有“http://www.google.com /firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:zh-CN:official” 这个问题怎么解决? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; zh-CN; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.or...

Google, "the ghost in the browser" : The Good NEWS and the bad NEWS...
...."The BAD NEWS is that Google only covered the tip of the iceberg in the study. While 10% of the entire web is not plagued with malicious code the situation is indeed getting worse. The report did a good job at representing the data that Google collected and researched, however other areas of web attacks need to be mentioned in combination with search engine queries. The following are *some* (note: not all) of the methods we are seeing on a daily basis with our ThreatSeeker� technology which mines more than 90 million websites every 24 hours and performs advanced reputat...

news.mozilla.com
news.mozilla.com test On 01/16/06 02:41, Chris Ilias wrote: > news.mozilla.com test :-) That's good. Though I doubt the 'average user' that would be confused by having to use news.mozilla.org instead of news.mozilla.com would use newsgroups anyway. -- Yay! On 16.01.2006 09:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Matt Nordhoff to generate the following:? : > On 01/16/06 02:41, Chris Ilias wrote: > >> news.mozilla.com test > > > :-) > > That's good. Though I doubt the 'average user' that would be confused >...

Web resources about - Is anyone else having problems with news.google.com? - netscape.mozilla.browser

The Fitz Files: NRL decision about Sam Burgess deal with South Sydney exposes problem with salary cap ...
Let us call the salary cap what it is: an illegal cartel between employers to limit the earning capacity of its employees.

Dick’s Sporting Goods athleisure problem - Business Insider Deutschland
Dick's Sporting Goods has sold athletic apparel for decades. But now, the retailer faces more competition than ever.

November 2015: Unofficial Problem Bank list declines to 255 Institutions
This is an unofficial list of Problem Banks compiled only from public sources. Here is the unofficial problem bank list for November 2015. Changes ...

Tri-Valley has no problem against Auburn to win 2A title
... form Search 39° Navigation Home Blackhawks Bulls Cubs White Sox Bears Fire Notre Dame Preps More Tickets Shop Watch Tri-Valley has no problem ...

Tesla Unveils ‘Cheap’ $80,000 SUV, As Problems Mount For The Automaker
Tesla unveiled an $80,000 “budget” version of its Tesla Model X SUV Tuesday as the company struggles to sell cars and burns through cash at an ...

This week in the war on workers: Rising federal taxes aren't the problem for the middle class
Turns out, federal taxes on the middle class aren’t so high these days: Note that the figure includes all federal taxes—the income tax rate ...

Apple TV's Ugly Problem Solved By Great New Accessory
Apple TV's Ugly Problem Solved By Great New Accessory

Family evicted, building deemed unlivable: Landlord cannot fix problems, he was murdered
... A Milwaukee family has been forced to leave their apartment. Their building has been declared unlivable. The landlord was required to fix problems ...

Another Common Core Math Problem Has Parents Baffled
A baffled parent shared a picture of their child's Common Core-style math test.