Firefox and Java vs. IE and Java

Win98SE
IE 5.0
Firefox 1.0.4

Please try out:

http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.

My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.

IE passes both tests.

In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.

I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.

Where are we? <GRIN>

FACE
0
FACE
5/27/2005 10:32:52 PM
netscape.mozilla.browser 4970 articles. 0 followers. Follow

FACE wrote:
> Win98SE
> IE 5.0
> Firefox 1.0.4
>
> Please try out:
>
> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>
> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>
> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>
> IE passes both tests.
>
> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>
> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
> have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.
>

> Where are we? <GRIN>
>
> FACE
It all works here.  Do you have your Javascript restricted as to what
you allow it to do?
0
Ron
5/27/2005 11:18:36 PM
FACE wrote:
> Win98SE
> IE 5.0
> Firefox 1.0.4
>
> Please try out:
>
> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>
> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>
> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>
> IE passes both tests.
>
> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>
> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
> have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.
>

> Where are we? <GRIN>
>
> FACE

It tells me I'm "fully Java enabled". Possibly the "Java(TM) 2 Platform
Standard Edition 5.0 Update 2" whose seven DLLs are shown in
about:plugins: one of them is for "java", the other 6 for various
versions of "Java Applet" and the same versions of "JavaBeans". I'm told
these DLLs live in "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\". Dunno where
I installed them from, but there's a thread about that nearby, in
n.p.m.plugins, and I see your handle in that thread: "FF: I _have_ the
plugin. Why does it think I don't?".

Best regards,
Tony.
0
Tony
5/27/2005 11:21:10 PM
Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net> wrote in

> FACE wrote:
>> Win98SE
>> IE 5.0
>> Firefox 1.0.4
>>
>> Please try out:
>>
>> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>>
>> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>>
>> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>>
>> IE passes both tests.
>>
>> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>>
>> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual
>> install, and I have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not
>> installed it.
>>

>> Where are we? <GRIN>
>>
>> FACE
>
> It tells me I'm "fully Java enabled". Possibly the "Java(TM) 2
> Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 2" whose seven DLLs are shown in
> about:plugins: one of them is for "java", the other 6 for various
> versions of "Java Applet" and the same versions of "JavaBeans". I'm
> told these DLLs live in "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\".
> Dunno where I installed them from, but there's a thread about that
> nearby, in n.p.m.plugins, and I see your handle in that thread: "FF: I
> _have_ the plugin. Why does it think I don't?".

Is Java ENABLED in Firefox?  Some firewall/security programs disable
Java.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

The world is coming to an end. Please log off.
0
Christopher
5/27/2005 11:52:40 PM
On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:18:36 -0500, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser Ron
Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:

>FACE wrote:
>> Win98SE
>> IE 5.0
>> Firefox 1.0.4
>>
>> Please try out:
>>
>> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>>
>> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>>
>> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>>
>> IE passes both tests.
>>
>> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>>
>> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
>> have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.
>>

>> Where are we? <GRIN>
>>
>> FACE
>It all works here.  Do you have your Javascript restricted as to what
>you allow it to do?

Not that I know of.  I did check Javascript Advanced and the first three boxes
are checked,  the last three are not.  However, Javascript passed, the Java
Applet did not. Hmmm...I just unchecked all of them, Ok'd out and no
difference in the test.

FACE

0
FACE
5/28/2005 12:01:16 AM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 01:21:10 +0200, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser Tony
Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net> wrote:

>It tells me I'm "fully Java enabled". Possibly the "Java(TM) 2 Platform
>Standard Edition 5.0 Update 2" whose seven DLLs are shown in
>about:plugins: one of them is for "java", the other 6 for various
>versions of "Java Applet" and the same versions of "JavaBeans". I'm told
>these DLLs live in "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\". Dunno where
>I installed them from, but there's a thread about that nearby, in
>n.p.m.plugins, and I see your handle in that thread: "FF: I _have_ the
>plugin. Why does it think I don't?".
>
>Best regards,
>Tony.

I have no Java/Javascript under about:plugins.

That other thread got me interested in it.  Hence, my final sentence of "let
me know how it works".

(I had no idea you were the same antoine mechelynck as the one in that other
group down the hall to the left, I am not the same FACE)

I have no "C:\program files\java" structure.

However, IE reports at that page that i do have Java completely enabled.
IIRC, it's a red box with black dancing and horizontally scrolling print
saying that Java is completely enabled.

So just a minute while i switch servers and then search my disk for a likely
suspect.......

Aha!

_ NPJava32    .dll

FACE2

0
FACE
5/28/2005 12:25:17 AM
"FACE" <AFaceInTheCrowd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Win98SE
> IE 5.0
> Firefox 1.0.4
>
> Please try out:
>
> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>
> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>
> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>
> IE passes both tests.
>
> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>
> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
> have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.
>

> Where are we? <GRIN>
>
> FACE

Yep, I can get it.
If you open the Java Script Console under the Tools tab, do you get any error
messages?
I also have the   Change Images  box checked once in the Advanced mode, whereas
it sounds like you don't.
Will it make any difference, I don't know.

0
Buffalo
5/28/2005 12:31:22 AM
On 27 May 2005 23:52:40 GMT, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser Christopher
Jahn <xjahn@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net> wrote in
>
>> FACE wrote:
>>> Win98SE
>>> IE 5.0
>>> Firefox 1.0.4
>>>
>>> Please try out:
>>>
>>> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>>>
>>> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>>>
>>> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>>>
>>> IE passes both tests.
>>>
>>> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>>>
>>> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual
>>> install, and I have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not
>>> installed it.
>>>

>>> Where are we? <GRIN>
>>>
>>> FACE
>>
>> It tells me I'm "fully Java enabled". Possibly the "Java(TM) 2
>> Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 2" whose seven DLLs are shown in
>> about:plugins: one of them is for "java", the other 6 for various
>> versions of "Java Applet" and the same versions of "JavaBeans". I'm
>> told these DLLs live in "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\".
>> Dunno where I installed them from, but there's a thread about that
>> nearby, in n.p.m.plugins, and I see your handle in that thread: "FF: I
>> _have_ the plugin. Why does it think I don't?".
>>

>Is Java ENABLED in Firefox?  Some firewall/security programs disable
>Java.

Good question Chris. One I anticipated.
From my original post:
>> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
or,
javascript.enabled       default boolean true
security.enable_java   default boolean true

I don't have a firewall, and the closest to security would be AVG.

FACE
0
FACE
5/28/2005 12:33:21 AM
On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:31:22 -0600, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser
"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

>"FACE" <AFaceInTheCrowd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Win98SE
>> IE 5.0
>> Firefox 1.0.4
>>
>> Please try out:
>>
>> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>>
>> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>>
>> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>>
>> IE passes both tests.
>>
>> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>>
>> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
>> have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.
>>

>> Where are we? <GRIN>
>>
>> FACE
>
>Yep, I can get it.
>If you open the Java Script Console under the Tools tab, do you get any error
>messages?

Just tried it -- cleared it, brought up the page, checked it, refreshed the
page, checked it.  Nothing.

>I also have the   Change Images  box checked once in the Advanced mode, whereas
>it sounds like you don't.
>Will it make any difference, I don't know.

I just checked the box for Change Images and OK'd out.  Took FF down, brought
it back up, re-bumped the page and no difference.

I am sure it is something simple. I already know that the jre\bin might not
have been in an expected place (except that IE knew where it was).

Might be time to do some 'sperimentin.

For one thing, I now have the 15.2meg full install file.   Rel 2 I think,
might be newer than the IE stuff though.

FACE

0
FACE
5/28/2005 12:44:42 AM
On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:32:52 -0400, in message
�<ak7f91p5ab51llo4s2gjhrt19t811e5mu8@4ax.com>, FACE wrote:

> Win98SE
> IE 5.0
> Firefox 1.0.4
>
> Please try out:
>
> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>
> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.

Woohoo!  It says I am "FULLY Java enabled" !!!

Java rocks!!!

> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>
> IE passes both tests.

So maybe you have the MS IE Java plugin installed,
but not the Netscape/Mozilla Java plugin.

> In my Firefox options, Javascipt

This is utterly irrelevant.  Javascript has nothing at all to do with Java.

Don't be fooled by the first 4 letters of the name.

> and Java are enabled.

Enabling Java won't do much good if you don't have
the Netscape/Mozilla Java plugin. It's kinda like
trying to turn your desktop computer on when it isn't
even plugged in to the power.

1.  Enter the following into the URL bar

        about:plugins

    If you don't see any Java plugins listed, then
    you don't have the Netscape/Mozilla plugin installed.

2.  Do you have any NPJava*.dll files in either one
    of the following directories?

        C:\Program Files\Java\j2re*\bin
        C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

    If you don't see any NPJava*.dll files there, then
    you don't have the Netscape/Mozilla plugin installed.

> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
> have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.

So why have you not installed the 15meg offline version?

> Where are we? <GRIN>

If you don't know how to install Java from the 15meg offline installer,
go read the instructions at  http://java.com/en/download/help/5000010400.xml

> FACE

0
Ralph
5/28/2005 1:44:19 AM
FACE wrote:
[...]
> (I had no idea you were the same antoine mechelynck as the one in that other
> group down the hall to the left, I am not the same FACE)

Ah, sorry about that. My email addy is genuine and it's the same, you
could check it easily.

> I have no "C:\program files\java" structure.
>
> However, IE reports at that page that i do have Java completely enabled.
> IIRC, it's a red box with black dancing and horizontally scrolling print
> saying that Java is completely enabled.
>
> So just a minute while i switch servers and then search my disk for a likely
> suspect.......
>
> Aha!

> _ NPJava32    .dll
>

> FACE2

In Firefox I have a black box (on blue) with scrolling and dancing red
text (on a sinusoidal line of text) saying that if I can see it I have
Java completely enabled. Somewhere above it, I have white (and red) text
on a blue background, saying I have JavaScript enabled.

I have the following files, known to Firefox:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPOJI610.dll
	java
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava11.dll
	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions "unspecified", 1.1 and 1.1.1
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava12.dll
	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions 1.1.2, 1.1.3 and 1.2
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava32.dll
	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions 1.2.1, 1.2.2 and 1.3
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava13.dll
	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions 1.3.1, 1.4 and 1.4.1
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava14.dll
	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions 1.4.2 and 1.5
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJPI150_02.dll
	Java Applet and JavaBeans, version 1.5.0_02

Some Java applications (I'm not sure which ones) put something like a
white cup of smoking coffee in my system tray, next to the clock.

Best regards,
Tony.
0
Tony
5/28/2005 2:32:36 AM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 04:32:36 +0200, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser Tony
Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net> wrote:

>FACE wrote:
>[...]
>> (I had no idea you were the same antoine mechelynck as the one in that other
>> group down the hall to the left, I am not the same FACE)
>
>Ah, sorry about that. My email addy is genuine and it's the same, you
>could check it easily.
>

>> I have no "C:\program files\java" structure.
>>
>> However, IE reports at that page that i do have Java completely enabled.
>> IIRC, it's a red box with black dancing and horizontally scrolling print
>> saying that Java is completely enabled.
>>
>> So just a minute while i switch servers and then search my disk for a likely
>> suspect.......
>>
>> Aha!

>> _ NPJava32    .dll
>>

>> FACE2
>>

>In Firefox I have a black box (on blue) with scrolling and dancing red
>text (on a sinusoidal line of text) saying that if I can see it I have
>Java completely enabled. Somewhere above it, I have white (and red) text
>on a blue background, saying I have JavaScript enabled.
>
>I have the following files, known to Firefox:
>
>C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPOJI610.dll
>	java
>C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava11.dll
>	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions "unspecified", 1.1 and 1.1.1
>C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava12.dll
>	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions 1.1.2, 1.1.3 and 1.2
>C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava32.dll
>	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions 1.2.1, 1.2.2 and 1.3
>C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava13.dll
>	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions 1.3.1, 1.4 and 1.4.1
>C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJava14.dll
>	Java Applet and JavaBeans, versions 1.4.2 and 1.5
>C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\NPJPI150_02.dll
>	Java Applet and JavaBeans, version 1.5.0_02
>
>Some Java applications (I'm not sure which ones) put something like a
>white cup of smoking coffee in my system tray, next to the clock.
>

>Best regards,
>Tony.

Thanks for the file listing including the path.  I will check these files out.
The obvious thing was that I did have Java since IE passed the "test", which
is why i did not install it.  One good thing about having several browsers is
that it is not necessary to count on any one to do everything.  As to the same
persons in different groups, i must admit i was being a bit sarcastic -- all
of life does not have to be serious.

I suppose your listing comes from VIM.

Your time and response are appreciated.

Cheers,

FACE
0
FACE
5/28/2005 3:14:44 AM
FACE wrote:
[...]
> Thanks for the file listing including the path.  I will check these files out.
> The obvious thing was that I did have Java since IE passed the "test", which
> is why i did not install it.  One good thing about having several browsers is
> that it is not necessary to count on any one to do everything.  As to the same
> persons in different groups, i must admit i was being a bit sarcastic -- all
> of life does not have to be serious.

	:-)

> I suppose your listing comes from VIM.

My listing comes from about:plugins (using copy-paste for the
filepathnames) -- but, yes, I am also active with Vim, even though
that's not what I use to clean my kitchen sink, unless it's the one at
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=114919

("Vim does not include a kitchen sink, but you can clean yours with it.")

> Your time and response are appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> FACE

Best regards,
Tony.
0
Tony
5/28/2005 4:10:20 AM
OK I found it.

Start at http://java.sun.com/
	-> J2SE (Core / Desktop)
	(at right) Download -> J2SE 5.0

There you have a choice of packages. If it's just to run Java, choose
the third one: "Download JRE 5.0 Update 3". That's one more update than
what I've got, so I'm busy downloading it at the moment.

Best regards,
Tony.
0
Tony
5/28/2005 5:36:14 AM
On 28-5-2005 2:25, FACE wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 01:21:10 +0200, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser Tony
> Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net> wrote:
>

>>It tells me I'm "fully Java enabled". Possibly the "Java(TM) 2 Platform
>>Standard Edition 5.0 Update 2" whose seven DLLs are shown in
>>about:plugins: one of them is for "java", the other 6 for various
>>versions of "Java Applet" and the same versions of "JavaBeans". I'm told
>>these DLLs live in "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\". Dunno where
>>I installed them from, but there's a thread about that nearby, in
>>n.p.m.plugins, and I see your handle in that thread: "FF: I _have_ the
>>plugin. Why does it think I don't?".
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Tony.
>

> I have no Java/Javascript under about:plugins.
>
> That other thread got me interested in it.  Hence, my final sentence of "let
> me know how it works".
>
> (I had no idea you were the same antoine mechelynck as the one in that other
> group down the hall to the left, I am not the same FACE)
>
> I have no "C:\program files\java" structure.
>
> However, IE reports at that page that i do have Java completely enabled.
> IIRC, it's a red box with black dancing and horizontally scrolling print
> saying that Java is completely enabled.
>
> So just a minute while i switch servers and then search my disk for a likely
> suspect.......
>
> Aha!

> _ NPJava32    .dll
>

> FACE2

Check which version of Java is running in IE.
It might be Microsoft's JVM.
<http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
   ___      ___
  /__/ w_/ /__/
/  \ /_/ /  \
0
Roland
5/28/2005 9:38:43 AM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:38:43 +0200, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser Roland
<roland@phony.biz> wrote:

>Check which version of Java is running in IE.
>It might be Microsoft's JVM.
><http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Roland de Ruiter

Thanks, it is:

Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
Version 1.1.4
Operating System Windows 98
OS version  4.10

(The original for Win98SE, I guess)
It shows the dancing thing with the red nose....er, it's got a name........

FACE

0
FACE
5/28/2005 11:32:08 AM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 07:36:14 +0200, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser Tony
Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net> wrote:

>OK I found it.
>
>Start at http://java.sun.com/
>	-> J2SE (Core / Desktop)
>	(at right) Download -> J2SE 5.0
>
>There you have a choice of packages. If it's just to run Java, choose
>the third one: "Download JRE 5.0 Update 3". That's one more update than
>what I've got, so I'm busy downloading it at the moment.
>
>Best regards,
>Tony.

Thanks.

FACE
0
FACE
5/28/2005 12:21:38 PM
On 28-5-2005 13:32, FACE wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:38:43 +0200, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser Roland
> <roland@phony.biz> wrote:
>

>>Check which version of Java is running in IE.
>>It might be Microsoft's JVM.
>><http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Roland de Ruiter
>

> Thanks, it is:
>
> Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
> Version 1.1.4
> Operating System Windows 98
> OS version  4.10
>
> (The original for Win98SE, I guess)
> It shows the dancing thing with the red nose....er, it's got a name........
>

> FACE

Yep, "FACE", that might be its name. Or Rudolph? Duke? 8-)

--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
   ___      ___
  /__/ w_/ /__/
/  \ /_/ /  \
0
Roland
5/28/2005 3:08:54 PM
On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:32:52 -0400, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser FACE
<AFaceInTheCrowd@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Win98SE
>IE 5.0
>Firefox 1.0.4
>

>http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

A thanks to all that responded.  Four out of five browsers now report Java as
fully enabled -- the exception is the novelty "Offbyone" browser.

FACE
0
FACE
5/28/2005 3:29:29 PM
FACE wrote:
> Win98SE
> IE 5.0
> Firefox 1.0.4
>
> Please try out:
>
> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>
> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>
> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>
> IE passes both tests.
>
> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>
> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
> have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.
>

> Where are we? <GRIN>
>
> FACE

If you are getting the 1722 error on the manual install you will get the
same thing on the offline version.

I had the same problem about a year ago, finally gave up on it. Yesterday I
finally ordered the CD. $10 + $6 S&H. This allows me to download it too but
I will wait until I get the message that the CD has been shipped. Download
is through Digital River and I have had problems with them before.

Bert
0
BertS
5/29/2005 4:17:05 PM
Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> OK I found it.
>
> Start at http://java.sun.com/
> 	-> J2SE (Core / Desktop)
> 	(at right) Download -> J2SE 5.0
>
> There you have a choice of packages. If it's just to run Java, choose
> the third one: "Download JRE 5.0 Update 3". That's one more update than
> what I've got, so I'm busy downloading it at the moment.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

I downloaded that but I still get that 1722 error. I guess I will wait for
the CD from Sun.

Bert
0
BertS
5/29/2005 4:39:06 PM
On Sun, 29 May 2005 16:17:05 GMT, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser BertS
<aasainz@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>FACE wrote:
>> Win98SE
>> IE 5.0
>> Firefox 1.0.4
>>
>> Please try out:
>>
>> http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>>
>> and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>>
>> My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>>
>> IE passes both tests.
>>
>> In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>>
>> I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
>> have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.
>>

>> Where are we? <GRIN>
>>
>> FACE
>
>If you are getting the 1722 error on the manual install you will get the
>same thing on the offline version.
>
>I had the same problem about a year ago, finally gave up on it. Yesterday I
>finally ordered the CD. $10 + $6 S&H. This allows me to download it too but
>I will wait until I get the message that the CD has been shipped. Download
>is through Digital River and I have had problems with them before.
>
>Bert

Thanks Bert.  I was not getting any error at all on the manual install.  It
simply did nothing.

I finally did the offline install (15.2 meg install file) and had no problems.

FACE
0
FACE
5/29/2005 4:50:38 PM
BertS wrote:
> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> OK I found it.
>>
>> Start at http://java.sun.com/
>>     -> J2SE (Core / Desktop)
>>     (at right) Download -> J2SE 5.0
>>
>> There you have a choice of packages. If it's just to run Java, choose
>> the third one: "Download JRE 5.0 Update 3". That's one more update than
>> what I've got, so I'm busy downloading it at the moment.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>

> I downloaded that but I still get that 1722 error. I guess I will wait
> for the CD from Sun.
>
> Bert

Is there anything in about:plugins that seems to be about Java? If there
is, maybe it gets into the way of the other thing -- try renaming it
(about:config -> plugin.expose_full_path = TRUE will tell you exactly
where each plugin resides). Or you may want to "clean" your registry by
means of, for instance, Norton WinDoctor.

Best regards,
Tony.
0
Tony
5/29/2005 5:23:39 PM
On 29-5-2005 18:39, BertS wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> OK I found it.
>>
>> Start at http://java.sun.com/
>>     -> J2SE (Core / Desktop)
>>     (at right) Download -> J2SE 5.0
>>
>> There you have a choice of packages. If it's just to run Java, choose
>> the third one: "Download JRE 5.0 Update 3". That's one more update than
>> what I've got, so I'm busy downloading it at the moment.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>

> I downloaded that but I still get that 1722 error. I guess I will wait
> for the CD from Sun.
>
> Bert
This page gives some info on error 1722:
<http://java.com/en/download/help/5000040100.xml>

Uninstall older versions of the JRE, and, like Tony suggested, remove
any traces of older JREs from your registry, either by hand (if you feel
confident enough) or by some reg-cleaning tool.
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
   ___      ___
  /__/ w_/ /__/
/  \ /_/ /  \
0
Roland
5/29/2005 7:20:02 PM
FACE wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 16:17:05 GMT, in netscape.public.mozilla.browser BertS
> <aasainz@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>

>>FACE wrote:
>>
>>>Win98SE
>>>IE 5.0
>>>Firefox 1.0.4
>>>
>>>Please try out:
>>>
>>>http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
>>>
>>>and see if you have all of JAVA enabled.
>>>
>>>My Firefox 1.0.4 passes on  Javascript, but fails on Java Applet.
>>>
>>>IE passes both tests.
>>>
>>>In my Firefox options, Javascipt and Java are enabled.
>>>
>>>I get the "download plugin" at Java applet, it fails on manual install, and I
>>>have downloaded the 15meg offline version but not installed it.
>>>

>>>Where are we? <GRIN>
>>>
>>>FACE
>>
>>If you are getting the 1722 error on the manual install you will get the
>>same thing on the offline version.
>>
>>I had the same problem about a year ago, finally gave up on it. Yesterday I
>>finally ordered the CD. $10 + $6 S&H. This allows me to download it too but
>>I will wait until I get the message that the CD has been shipped. Download
>>is through Digital River and I have had problems with them before.
>>
>>Bert
>

> Thanks Bert.  I was not getting any error at all on the manual install.  It
> simply did nothing.
>
> I finally did the offline install (15.2 meg install file) and had no problems.
>
> FACE

I wish I could say the same. Today I got the CD from Sun. I tried to install
it but it hung in Firefox. Utilization went to 99% and it stayed there.
Finally I tried to install it directly from the CD. I tried several
different ways and all failed with the dreaded 1722 error.

BTW, it cannot be installed in safe mode. I get a message that the windows
installer will not run in safe mode.

Bert
Where is my OS/2?
0
BertS
6/3/2005 6:47:33 PM

*******
>but it hung in Firefox.
*******

Could you expand on this a bit?
Also, on the 1722 error?
What is your OS?
Did the CD from sun create the branch for Java?
If Windows, does the Java cup icon appear in Control Panel?

FACE

Win98SE
Java 1.5.0_02