Bookmarks: XP Seamonkey to Vista Seamonkey

I'm thoroughly confused
Have copied the requisite XP file:
C\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application
data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\gobbledeguk.slt
onto a thumbdrive.
Installed thumbdrive in new Vista PC.
PC sees file.  Transferred file.
Seamonkey does not see file in current location.
Should I be doing an import with Seamonkey directly from the thumb
drive?
I can't even find the proper place for Owner file, and security says I
can't get into Application data file, even though I am the
Administrator and the sole user of the PC.
Where does Vista/Seamonkey think this file should be on Vista?
Then - do I do it (whatever "it" turns out to be) again for Firefox
when 3.0 comes out next Tuesday.
Help please
TIA
  /c/ Confused

0
Roy
6/13/2008 9:44:56 PM
netscape.mozilla.browser 4970 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Roy Starrin wrote:
> I'm thoroughly confused
> Have copied the requisite XP file:
> C\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application
> data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\gobbledeguk.slt
> onto a thumbdrive.
> Installed thumbdrive in new Vista PC.
> PC sees file.  Transferred file.
> Seamonkey does not see file in current location.
> Should I be doing an import with Seamonkey directly from the thumb
> drive?
> I can't even find the proper place for Owner file, and security says I
> can't get into Application data file, even though I am the
> Administrator and the sole user of the PC.
> Where does Vista/Seamonkey think this file should be on Vista?
> Then - do I do it (whatever "it" turns out to be) again for Firefox
> when 3.0 comes out next Tuesday.
> Help please
> TIA
>   /c/ Confused

you think you're confuse, try me.  I have no idea what it is
you're trying to do.  You subject line says one thing and
you talk about another.  If you're using SM, then why do you
want FF 3 when it comes out?

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
0
Peter
6/13/2008 10:08:23 PM
Roy Starrin wrote:

>Where does Vista/Seamonkey think this file should be on Vista?

I believe Vista puts it in C:\Users\<name>\Application
Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\<random>.slt

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
0
<peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wrote:

>Roy Starrin wrote:
>> I'm thoroughly confused
>> Have copied the requisite XP file:
>> C\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application
>> data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\gobbledeguk.slt
>> onto a thumbdrive.
>> Installed thumbdrive in new Vista PC.
>> PC sees file.  Transferred file.
>> Seamonkey does not see file in current location.
>> Should I be doing an import with Seamonkey directly from the thumb
>> drive?
>> I can't even find the proper place for Owner file, and security says I
>> can't get into Application data file, even though I am the
>> Administrator and the sole user of the PC.
>> Where does Vista/Seamonkey think this file should be on Vista?
>> Then - do I do it (whatever "it" turns out to be) again for Firefox
>> when 3.0 comes out next Tuesday.
>> Help please
>> TIA
>>   /c/ Confused
>
>you think you're confuse, try me.  I have no idea what it is
>you're trying to do.  You subject line says one thing and
>you talk about another.  If you're using SM, then why do you
>want FF 3 when it comes out?

I am trying to copy the Seamonkey bookmark file currently resident in
the XP PC to a similar installation in the Vista PC.  I am having
trouble finding the place to park the file where the Vista SM can find
it and use it.
I don't find it unusal to have more than one browser on a PC.  E.G. my
new PC already has 2; IE which i will not use, and SM, which I am
trying to make useable.  It will gain FireFox 3.0 when it is
available.
Anyhoo, I hope that clarifies it.  You have provided invaluable advice
to help me resolve my problems in the past, and I am hoping that you
can again.
TIA
   starrin

0
Roy
6/14/2008 2:01:21 PM
Roy Starrin wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:08:23 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Roy Starrin wrote:
>>> I'm thoroughly confused
>>> Have copied the requisite XP file:
>>> C\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application
>>> data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\gobbledeguk.slt
>>> onto a thumbdrive.
>>> Installed thumbdrive in new Vista PC.
>>> PC sees file.  Transferred file.
>>> Seamonkey does not see file in current location.
>>> Should I be doing an import with Seamonkey directly from the thumb
>>> drive?
>>> I can't even find the proper place for Owner file, and security says I
>>> can't get into Application data file, even though I am the
>>> Administrator and the sole user of the PC.
>>> Where does Vista/Seamonkey think this file should be on Vista?
>>> Then - do I do it (whatever "it" turns out to be) again for Firefox
>>> when 3.0 comes out next Tuesday.
>>> Help please
>>> TIA
>>>   /c/ Confused
>> you think you're confuse, try me.  I have no idea what it is
>> you're trying to do.  You subject line says one thing and
>> you talk about another.  If you're using SM, then why do you
>> want FF 3 when it comes out?
>
> I am trying to copy the Seamonkey bookmark file currently resident in
> the XP PC to a similar installation in the Vista PC.  I am having
> trouble finding the place to park the file where the Vista SM can find
> it and use it.
> I don't find it unusal to have more than one browser on a PC.  E.G. my
> new PC already has 2; IE which i will not use, and SM, which I am
> trying to make useable.  It will gain FireFox 3.0 when it is
> available.
> Anyhoo, I hope that clarifies it.  You have provided invaluable advice
> to help me resolve my problems in the past, and I am hoping that you
> can again.
> TIA
>    starrin

OK, not I understand.  There are a couple of ways of doing
this.  I will tell you the way I don't like, then the way I do.

Crap way: first of all the SM profile is hidden, and you
have to unhide window files.  For XP you can do that by
reading this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

for vista, I have no idea.  Once you've unhidden window
files, then from SM mail, click on Edit, Mail & Newsgroup
Account Settings, select an account, and under Server
Settings, on the bottom right, you will see something called
Local Directory.  Look at that an you want upto the .slt
directory.  You bookmarks will reside in there.  The
bookmark file is called bookmarks.html.  Now, do the same
thing to locate vista, and take that bookmark file and copy
it over to vista.

The simple way of doing this, and this is what I do.  Create
a directory called Bookmarks.  Then from the browser, click
on Bookmarks, Manage Bookmarks, then from the bookmark
manager, click on Tools, Export and export the file as an
html file to that directory you just make.  Now, from Vista,
put create a directory called bookmarks, and place the
bookmark file there.  Then from SM on that machine, go into
the bookmark manager.  Once there, click on File, Open
Bookmark file, and locate that file.