Hartmut
1
Hartmut
11/30/2019 2:52:50 AM
mozilla.test 6498 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

--------------030909040605050709000609

On 30/11/2019 02:52, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Testing
>
> Hartmut

It is on a life support but who knows whether it can continue like this
forever.

--
With over 1,000,000 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

--------------030909040605050709000609

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:f9efad67-0b8d-14e4-15c9-ea886adc1cfe@hfigge.myfqdn.de"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Testing

Hartmut
</pre>
    It is on a life support but who knows whether it can continue like
    this forever.<br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 1,000,000
          million devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction
          is higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------030909040605050709000609--
0
UTF
11/30/2019 3:17:39 PM
😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 1/12/2019 2:17 AM:
> On 30/11/2019 02:52, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> Testing
>>
>> Hartmut
>
> It is on a life support but who knows whether it can continue like this
> forever.

Why is it "on a life support", Good Guy?? Aren't you able to post (i.e.
SPAM) every group you'd like to??

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134
0
Daniel
12/1/2019 8:26:16 AM
Daniel:
>😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 1/12/2019 2:17 AM:
>> On 30/11/2019 02:52, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>>> Testing
>>
>> It is on a life support but who knows whether it can continue like this
>> forever.
>>
>Why is it "on a life support", Good Guy?? Aren't you able to post (i.e.
>SPAM) every group you'd like to??

Pst, his HTML-postings recently proved useful to detect a bug. ;)

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
--------------397223377ED752A8E5263DC1

On 01/12/2019 08:26, Daniel wrote:

> Why is it "on a life support", Good Guy?? Aren't you able to post
> (i.e. SPAM) every group you'd like to??

No spam in my posts.  Only the solutions or suggested solutions and
links to official sites.

However, there are nym-shifters using my name on Windows newsgroups who
are posting porn and other spam messages.  The headers can reveal it's
not from me.

--

      cite="mid:9qKdnXzgnY235H7AnZ2dnUU7-W2dnZ2d@mozilla.org"><br>
      Why is it "on a life support", Good Guy?? Aren't you able to post
      (i.e. SPAM) every group you'd like to??
    No spam in my posts.  Only the solutions or suggested solutions and
    links to official sites.<br>
    However, there are nym-shifters using my name on Windows newsgroups
    who are posting porn and other spam messages.  The headers can
    reveal it's not from me.<br>
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 1,000,000 million devices
        now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>

--------------397223377ED752A8E5263DC1--
0
UTF
12/1/2019 7:56:56 PM
😉 Good Guy 😉:

>No spam in my posts.

I have found none in your posts.

>Only the solutions or suggested solutions and
>links to official sites.

Mhm. HTML is OK in a test group of a news server. In other groups,
however, that is another matter.

news.mozilla.org is a special case though. Mhm.

Just noticed, apropos spam. Your sig could be considered as spam. Not
sure about that because I do not use Win and know little about that OS.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
12/1/2019 8:29:50 PM
Hartmut Figge wrote on 1/12/2019 7:33 PM:
> Daniel:
>> 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 1/12/2019 2:17 AM:
>>>
>>> It is on a life support but who knows whether it can continue like this
>>> forever.
>>>
>> Why is it "on a life support", Good Guy?? Aren't you able to post (i.e.
>> SPAM) every group you'd like to??
>
> Pst, his HTML-postings recently proved useful to detect a bug. ;)
>
> Hartmut

Oh!! Goodo, Good Guy!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134
0
Daniel
12/2/2019 8:12:31 AM
Daniel wrote on 12/2/19 9:12 AM:
> Hartmut Figge wrote on 1/12/2019 7:33 PM:
>> Daniel:

>>> Why is it "on a life support", Good Guy?? Aren't you able to post (i.e.
>>> SPAM) every group you'd like to??
>>
>> Pst, his HTML-postings recently proved useful to detect a bug. ;)
>>
>> Hartmut
>>
> Oh!! Goodo, Good Guy!

;-);-)

--
Gérard Vinkesteijn Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
12/2/2019 5:13:33 PM
Hartmut Figge wrote on 12/1/19 9:29 PM:
> 😉 Good Guy 😉:
>
>> No spam in my posts.
>
> I have found none in your posts.
>
>> Only the solutions or suggested solutions and
>> links to official sites.
>
> Mhm. HTML is OK in a test group of a news server. In other groups,
> however, that is another matter.
;-)

--
Gérard Vinkesteijn Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
12/2/2019 5:17:19 PM
Hartmut Figge:

>Testing

Again. 'news.mozilla.org timed out'. Hm.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
12/3/2019 3:55:11 AM
On 2019-12-03 04:55, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Hartmut Figge:
>
>> Testing
>
> Again. 'news.mozilla.org timed out'. Hm.

If you get the "timed out or article deleted do you want to delete all
affected messages?" error, this seems to affect Thunderbird on other
providers too.  I suspect an unfixed bug in the NNTP code.

Enjoy

Jakob
Jakob
12/3/2019 4:23:53 AM
Jakob Bohm:
>On 2019-12-03 04:55, Hartmut Figge wrote:

>> Again. 'news.mozilla.org timed out'. Hm.
>>

>If you get the "timed out or article deleted do you want to delete all
>affected messages?" error, this seems to affect Thunderbird on other
>providers too.  I suspect an unfixed bug in the NNTP code.

Only news.mozilla.org is affected. Doesn't seem to be a NNTP issue. But
there is another one which may be.

Sometimes, not very often, the body of a posting is empty. That happens
since years and on all news servers. It can be rectified by emptying the
cache. Sadly the issue is not reproducible.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
12/3/2019 6:49:57 AM
On 2019-12-03 07:49, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Jakob Bohm:
>> On 2019-12-03 04:55, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>
>>> Again. 'news.mozilla.org timed out'. Hm.
>>>

>> If you get the "timed out or article deleted do you want to delete all
>> affected messages?" error, this seems to affect Thunderbird on other
>> providers too.  I suspect an unfixed bug in the NNTP code.
>
> Only news.mozilla.org is affected. Doesn't seem to be a NNTP issue. But
> there is another one which may be.
>
> Sometimes, not very often, the body of a posting is empty. That happens
> since years and on all news servers. It can be rectified by emptying the
> cache. Sadly the issue is not reproducible.

Wouldn't that loose all the older articles no longer on the server?

Enjoy

Jakob
Jakob
12/3/2019 6:56:13 AM
Hartmut Figge wrote on 2/12/2019 7:29 AM:
> 😉 Good Guy 😉:
>
>> No spam in my posts.
>
> I have found none in your posts.
>
>> Only the solutions or suggested solutions and
>> links to official sites.
>
> Mhm. HTML is OK in a test group of a news server. In other groups,
> however, that is another matter.
>
> news.mozilla.org is a special case though. Mhm.
>
> Just noticed, apropos spam. Your sig could be considered as spam. Not
> sure about that because I do not use Win and know little about that OS.
>
> Hartmut

Sig file! That's the one, Hartmut!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134
0
Daniel
12/3/2019 8:24:01 AM
Jakob Bohm wrote on 3/12/2019 5:56 PM:
> On 2019-12-03 07:49, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> Jakob Bohm:

>>> If you get the "timed out or article deleted do you want to delete all
>>> affected messages?" error, this seems to affect Thunderbird on other
>>> providers too.  I suspect an unfixed bug in the NNTP code.
>>
>> Only news.mozilla.org is affected. Doesn't seem to be a NNTP issue. But
>> there is another one which may be.
>>
>> Sometimes, not very often, the body of a posting is empty. That happens
>> since years and on all news servers. It can be rectified by emptying the
>> cache. Sadly the issue is not reproducible.
>>
> Wouldn't that loose all the older articles no longer on the server?
>

> Enjoy
>
> Jakob

No, Jakob, the numbers of the messages that you have previously read is
stored in an *.rc file, i.e. in the information for your
news.mozilla.org server, I think there is a file called something like
'news.mozilla.org.rc', and there is a line for the mozilla.test group in
that file which lists all the messages in that group which you have not
read.

If a message number shows up in that line, it means you haven't read
that message .... or, having read that message, you then re-marked it as
'unread'. (or vice versa!!)

The contents of the message itself could be stored in the cache, but
that's not important as you can re-load that message from the server, if
needed, by clicking on it again.

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134
0
Daniel
12/3/2019 8:38:26 AM
Jakob Bohm:
>On 2019-12-03 07:49, Hartmut Figge wrote:
is another one which may be.

>> Sometimes, not very often, the body of a posting is empty. That happens
>> since years and on all news servers. It can be rectified by emptying the
>> cache. Sadly the issue is not reproducible.
>>
>Wouldn't that loose all the older articles no longer on the server?

No. The only visible effect is, that the once empty body now shows
content. At least after visiting another posting and them coming back.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
12/3/2019 8:39:20 AM
Daniel:

>The contents of the message itself could be stored in the cache, but
>that's not important as you can re-load that message from the server, if
>needed, by clicking on it again.

So it should be. Should. *g* Unfortunately, if the body is empty when it
should not be, reloading doesn't help. The only reliable help in this
case is to empty the cache. Per Advanced->Cache->Clear Cache.

I'm not the only who has noticed the problem. Others have complained
also. But, it is not reproducible. Sigh.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
12/3/2019 8:47:10 AM
On 2019-12-03 09:39, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Jakob Bohm:
>> On 2019-12-03 07:49, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> is another one which may be.
>>>
>>> Sometimes, not very often, the body of a posting is empty. That happens
>>> since years and on all news servers. It can be rectified by emptying the
>>> cache. Sadly the issue is not reproducible.
>>>
>> Wouldn't that loose all the older articles no longer on the server?
>
> No. The only visible effect is, that the once empty body now shows
> content. At least after visiting another posting and them coming back.
>
> Hartmut

I think you missed the point.  On any given usenet server, articles are
only retained for a limited time after they were posted, the limit is
the shorter of a server side setting and a poster specified expiry date.

Clients on the other hand are free to retain messages after this
deadline by not expiring their local copy / cache.

It is in this standard scenario (message expired or cancelled on server,
but still present and usable on client) that doing a wholesale wipe of
the client "cache" is detrimental.

Now the servers that host news.mozilla.org happen to have a rather high
value for the server side max-retention setting, but this still doesn't
cover the other cases (short poster expiry time, other servers).

In this aspect, NNTP is more like POP3 than IMAP4.

Enjoy

Jakob
Jakob
12/3/2019 2:52:37 PM
On 12/3/19 9:52 AM, Jakob Bohm wrote:
> On 2019-12-03 09:39, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> Jakob Bohm:
>>> On 2019-12-03 07:49, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> is another one which may be.

>>> Wouldn't that loose all the older articles no longer on the server?
>>
>> No. The only visible effect is, that the once empty body now shows
>> content. At least after visiting another posting and them coming back.=

>> Hartmut
>>
>=20
> I think you missed the point.=C2=A0 On any given usenet server, article=
s are
> only retained for a limited time after they were posted, the limit is
> the shorter of a server side setting and a poster specified expiry date=
=2E
>=20
> Clients on the other hand are free to retain messages after this
> deadline by not expiring their local copy / cache.
>=20
> It is in this standard scenario (message expired or cancelled on server=
,
> but still present and usable on client) that doing a wholesale wipe of
> the client "cache" is detrimental.
>=20
> Now the servers that host news.mozilla.org happen to have a rather high=

> value for the server side max-retention setting, but this still doesn't=

> cover the other cases (short poster expiry time, other servers).
>=20
> In this aspect, NNTP is more like POP3 than IMAP4.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Enjoy
>=20
> Jakob

I'm not sure about the Mozilla news.mozilla.org server which is hosted=20
at Giganews and archived on Google groups.

If I Unsubscribe from m.general, then Subscribe again, I am offered=20
115271 headers to download. Only 110840 downloaded. The first one is=20
dated 1/21/06. A test post.

The first post from Thunderbird that I can see is dated 1/25/06 and the=20
poster was using Thunderbird 1.5.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
12/3/2019 3:35:48 PM
Jakob Bohm:

>I think you missed the point.

That's possible. Let's see.

>On any given usenet server, articles are
>only retained for a limited time after they were posted, the limit is
>the shorter of a server side setting and a poster specified expiry date.

Sort of. The holding time is server specific. Such a thing as an expiry
date set by a poster does not exist for usenet. All a user can do is
trying to cancel a specific posting. It may succeed on some servers, but
it will not on all.

And for servers connected to a mailing list, like news.mozilla.org,
cancel is pointless.

>Clients on the other hand are free to retain messages after this
>deadline by not expiring their local copy / cache.

Sort of. Again. *g* Unless 'offline' is used for some or all groups, all
content for bodies is lost after SM/TB is closed. The information in the
*.msf and newsrc* remains. The cache can be used to speed things up.

>It is in this standard scenario (message expired or cancelled on server,
>but still present and usable on client) that doing a wholesale wipe of
>the client "cache" is detrimental.

Some people use 'offline' as standard. The reason for that is the desire
to be independent of the holding time of the server. But the cache is a
different matter. ;)

It is unfortunate, that the only available solution to retrieve a
missing body is clearing the cache.

>Now the servers that host news.mozilla.org happen to have a rather high
>value for the server side max-retention setting, but this still doesn't
>cover the other cases (short poster expiry time, other servers).

The groups on news.mozilla.org are not mirrored on other servers, AFAIK.

A missing info which I should have previously given. The cases with the
empty bodies happen for new postings. Never for older ones.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
12/3/2019 3:52:44 PM
Hartmut Figge wrote on 3/12/2019 7:47 PM:
> Daniel:
>
>> The contents of the message itself could be stored in the cache, but
>> that's not important as you can re-load that message from the server, if
>> needed, by clicking on it again.
>
> So it should be. Should. *g* Unfortunately, if the body is empty when it
> should not be, reloading doesn't help. The only reliable help in this
> case is to empty the cache. Per Advanced->Cache->Clear Cache.
>
> I'm not the only who has noticed the problem. Others have complained
> also. But, it is not reproducible. Sigh.
>
> Hartmut

No worries, Hartmut. I, also, have experienced the problem, on the odd
occasion.

When it does occur, I usually just click on a couple of other messages
and then go back to the problem child!!

  I can't recall if it helps me by re-marking the message as unread or not!