Where in the profile are Extensions/Add-ons stored

I had a problem, fortunately solved, whose solution caused other
problems.  (So what else is new???)  Specifically, losing various
functionalities.

With the help of WaltS48 and RonK, in another thread, I was able to
restore two missing functionalities, namely Newsgroups, and News and
Blogs, from my OS X Time Machine backup.  They told me the locations of
the appropriate files.

Today I discovered that all my Add-Ons/Extensions are gone.  (Apologies:
I'm never quite sure what's an Add-On and what's and Extension.)

I had several, but I can only remember what two of them were, because
they were the only two that had used in a long time:

One to sort tags in the Tags List into alphabetical order.  This one
puts a Sort Tags item into the Tools menu.

One that makes the different conversational levels of a thread appear in
different colors.

Ideally, the easiest thing to do would be to find them online and
re-install.  But I haven't yet found them.  Mozilla's new UI for
searching Add-Ons is *terrible*!  And I suspect that the Sort Tags one
might no longer be available.

But whether they're still available or not, they were working fine on my
system until I "disappeared" them.  And I know they're on my Time
Machine.  So I just need to know which files I should restore.  Thanks!

0
Dudley

On 03/06/2018 09:39 PM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> Today I discovered that all my Add-Ons/Extensions are gone.  (Apologies:
> I'm never quite sure what's an Add-On and what's and Extension.)

Sorry to hear that.

I concur on the difference between Add-Ons and Extensions.

> I had several, but I can only remember what two of them were, because
> they were the only two that had used in a long time:
>
> One to sort tags in the Tags List into alphabetical order.  This one
> puts a Sort Tags item into the Tools menu.
>
> One that makes the different conversational levels of a thread appear in
> different colors.

That sounds like "Quote Colors" or possibly "QuoteCollapse".  (Both can
do some coloring.)

> Ideally, the easiest thing to do would be to find them online and
> re-install.  But I haven't yet found them.  Mozilla's new UI for
> searching Add-Ons is *terrible*!  And I suspect that the Sort Tags one
> might no longer be available.

Agreed.

> But whether they're still available or not, they were working fine on my
> system until I "disappeared" them.  And I know they're on my Time
> Machine.  So I just need to know which files I should restore.  Thanks!

Look for the extensions folder under your (old) profile folder.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
On 2018-03-06 10:39 p.m., Dudley Brooks wrote:
> I had a problem, fortunately solved, whose solution caused other problems.  (So what else is new???)  Specifically, losing various functionalities.
>
> With the help of WaltS48 and RonK, in another thread, I was able to restore two missing functionalities, namely Newsgroups, and News and Blogs, from my OS X Time Machine backup.  They told me the locations of the appropriate files.
>
> Today I discovered that all my Add-Ons/Extensions are gone.  (Apologies: I'm never quite sure what's an Add-On and what's and Extension.)
>
> I had several, but I can only remember what two of them were, because they were the only two that had used in a long time:
>
> One to sort tags in the Tags List into alphabetical order.  This one puts a Sort Tags item into the Tools menu.
>
> One that makes the different conversational levels of a thread appear in different colors.
>
> Ideally, the easiest thing to do would be to find them online and re-install.  But I haven't yet found them.  Mozilla's new UI for searching Add-Ons is *terrible*!  And I suspect that the Sort Tags one might no longer be available.
>
> But whether they're still available or not, they were working fine on my system until I "disappeared" them.  And I know they're on my Time Machine.  So I just need to know which files I should restore.  Thanks!

Quote Colors may need a bit of a modification to work in TB 52:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/quote-colors/reviews/846569/

The Quote Level Colors userstyle works well in TB 52:

https://userstyles.org/styles/1752/quote-level-colors-for-thunderbird

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/versions/2.1.1

Sort Tags: https://freeshell.de//~kaosmos/sortTags-0.2.xpi

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Thunderbird#Add-ons
0
Steve
3/7/2018 5:45:08 PM
On 3/6/18 8:58 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 03/06/2018 09:39 PM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> >> Today I discovered that all my Add-Ons/Extensions are gone.
>> (Apologies: I'm never quite sure what's an Add-On and what's and
>> Extension.)
>
> Sorry to hear that.
>
> I concur on the difference between Add-Ons and Extensions.
>
>> I had several, but I can only remember what two of them were, because
>> they were the only two that had used in a long time:
>>
>> One to sort tags in the Tags List into alphabetical order.  This one
>> puts a Sort Tags item into the Tools menu.
>>
>> One that makes the different conversational levels of a thread appear
>> in different colors.
>
> That sounds like "Quote Colors" or possibly "QuoteCollapse".  (Both can
> do some coloring.)
>
>> Ideally, the easiest thing to do would be to find them online and
>> re-install.  But I haven't yet found them.  Mozilla's new UI for
>> searching Add-Ons is *terrible*!  And I suspect that the Sort Tags one
>> might no longer be available.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> But whether they're still available or not, they were working fine on
>> my system until I "disappeared" them.  And I know they're on my Time
>> Machine.  So I just need to know which files I should restore.  Thanks!
>
> Look for the extensions folder under your (old) profile folder.

I found it, plus the older versions of some associated files, and now
everything is back to normal.  Thanks!
0
Dudley
3/7/2018 7:06:48 PM
On 3/7/18 9:45 AM, Steve wrote:

> On 2018-03-06 10:39 p.m., Dudley Brooks wrote:
> >> I had a problem, fortunately solved, whose solution caused other
>> problems.  (So what else is new???)  Specifically, losing various
>> functionalities.
>>
>> With the help of WaltS48 and RonK, in another thread, I was able to
>> restore two missing functionalities, namely Newsgroups, and News and
>> Blogs, from my OS X Time Machine backup.  They told me the locations
>> of the appropriate files.
>>
>> Today I discovered that all my Add-Ons/Extensions are gone.
>> (Apologies: I'm never quite sure what's an Add-On and what's and
>> Extension.)
>>
>> I had several, but I can only remember what two of them were, because
>> they were the only two that had used in a long time:
>>
>> One to sort tags in the Tags List into alphabetical order.  This one
>> puts a Sort Tags item into the Tools menu.
>>
>> One that makes the different conversational levels of a thread appear
>> in different colors.
>>
>> Ideally, the easiest thing to do would be to find them online and
>> re-install.  But I haven't yet found them.  Mozilla's new UI for
>> searching Add-Ons is *terrible*!  And I suspect that the Sort Tags one
>> might no longer be available.
>>
>> But whether they're still available or not, they were working fine on
>> my system until I "disappeared" them.  And I know they're on my Time
>> Machine.  So I just need to know which files I should restore.  Thanks!
>>

> Quote Colors may need a bit of a modification to work in TB 52:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/quote-colors/reviews/846569/
>

> The Quote Level Colors userstyle works well in TB 52:
>
> https://userstyles.org/styles/1752/quote-level-colors-for-thunderbird
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/versions/2.1.1
>
> Sort Tags: https://freeshell.de//~kaosmos/sortTags-0.2.xpi
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Thunderbird#Add-ons

I found the old Extensions folder (plus some related files) and copied
them over, and everything is back to normal.

For now, I'm going to go with Sort Colors, because it was working before
I lost stuff, while TB was already v 52.  It seems to be OK for now.
But thanks for the pointer to the other program, just in case, and
especially thanks for the pointer to "Transferring data to a new profile".
0
Dudley
3/7/2018 7:10:38 PM
On 3/7/2018 2:10 PM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> For now, I'm going to go with Sort Colors, because it was working before
> I lost stuff, while TB was already v 52.  It seems to be OK for now. But
> thanks for the pointer to the other program, just in case, and
> especially thanks for the pointer to "Transferring data to a new profile".
If that fails I am using Account Colors
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/account-colors/

It is written for version.

I just recently added it, and found it is excellent keeping me from
using my wife's account to send email.

Both of our computers are synced and identical for all practical purposes.
0
Keith
3/7/2018 8:48:20 PM
On 3/7/18 12:48 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

> On 3/7/2018 2:10 PM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>
>> For now, I'm going to go with Sort Colors, because it was working
>> before I lost stuff, while TB was already v 52.  It seems to be OK for
>> now. But thanks for the pointer to the other program, just in case,
>> and especially thanks for the pointer to "Transferring data to a new
>> profile".
>
> If that fails I am using Account Colors
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/account-colors/
>
> It is written for version.
>
> I just recently added it, and found it is excellent keeping me from
> using my wife's account to send email.
>
> Both of our computers are synced and identical for all practical purposes.

That does something different from the one I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the one that makes different colors *in the same
message* to show who the different *speakers* *in that message* are.

If I understand correctly, the one you're talking about lets you see who
the different *personalities of you* are, so to speak.  It sounds like
it could definitely be useful, though ... just for something else.  So
thanks for the reference to it.

0
Dudley
3/8/2018 2:16:15 AM

Dudley Brooks wrote on 3/7/2018 8:16 PM:
> On 3/7/18 12:48 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>
>> On 3/7/2018 2:10 PM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>>
>>> For now, I'm going to go with Sort Colors, because it was working
>>> before I lost stuff, while TB was already v 52.  It seems to be OK for
>>> now. But thanks for the pointer to the other program, just in case,
>>> and especially thanks for the pointer to "Transferring data to a new
>>> profile".
>>
>> If that fails I am using Account Colors
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/account-colors/
>>
>> It is written for version.
>>
>> I just recently added it, and found it is excellent keeping me from
>> using my wife's account to send email.
>>
>> Both of our computers are synced and identical for all practical purposes.
>
> That does something different from the one I'm talking about.
>
> I'm talking about the one that makes different colors *in the same
> message* to show who the different *speakers* *in that message* are.
>
> If I understand correctly, the one you're talking about lets you see who
> the different *personalities of you* are, so to speak.  It sounds like
> it could definitely be useful, though ... just for something else.  So
> thanks for the reference to it.

You probably mean Quote Colors, one of the first TB add-ons.

--
Ron K.
Thunderbird user since May, 2003

0
Ron
3/8/2018 3:45:54 AM
On 03/07/2018 12:06 PM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> I found it, plus the older versions of some associated files, and now
> everything is back to normal.  Thanks!

Great!

You're welcome.  :-)

--