kirkwood40.blogspot.com
0
Wolf
7/13/2017 1:38:46 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21975 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 2017-07-12 21:38, Wolf K <wolfmac@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Thunderbird 52.1.1
> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it? I looked for "welcome" in the
> config editor, cabn't think of any other search term.
> Thanks for any help

In previous TB is was Options -> General, the first option at the top is
a check-mark that says Show Welcome Page...

Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  Dr who?

0
B00ze
7/13/2017 1:48:03 AM
On 7/12/2017 9:38 PM, Wolf K wrote:
> Thunderbird 52.1.1
>
> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
>
> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it? I looked for "welcome" in the
> config editor, cabn't think of any other search term.
>
> Thanks for any help

question - what type(s) of content would you prefer to see on the
welcome screen?  (called the home screen or home
0
Wayne
7/13/2017 1:50:27 AM
On 2017-07-12 21:48, B00ze wrote:
> On 2017-07-12 21:38, Wolf K <wolfmac@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> Thunderbird 52.1.1
>> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
>> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it? I looked for "welcome" in the
>> config editor, cabn't think of any other search term.
>> Thanks for any help
>
> In previous TB is was Options -> General, the first option at the top is
> a check-mark that says Show Welcome Page...
>
> Regards,
Thanks, option now is "When Thunderbird launches...", that fixed it.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On 2017-07-12 21:50, Wayne wrote:
> On 7/12/2017 9:38 PM, Wolf K wrote:
>> Thunderbird 52.1.1
>>
>> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
>>
>> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it? I looked for "welcome" in
>> the config editor, cabn't think of any other search term.
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>

> question - what type(s) of content would you prefer to see on the
> welcome screen?  (called the home screen or home

Nothing whatever.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On 13-7-2017 3:38, Wolf K wrote:
> Thunderbird 52.1.1
>
> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
>
> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it? I looked for "welcome" in the
> config editor, cabn't think of any other search term.
>
> Thanks for any help

On options/general i have for startupscreen a file
with a picture from the thunderbird movies.
This way:

file://c:/pics/thunderbird-2.jpg

0
Sjouke
7/13/2017 9:10:31 AM
On 7/13/2017 5:10 AM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> On 13-7-2017 3:38, Wolf K wrote:
>> Thunderbird 52.1.1
>>
>> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
>>
>> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it? I looked for "welcome" in the
>> config editor, cabn't think of any other search term.
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>
> On options/general i have for startupscreen a file
> with a picture from the thunderbird movies.
> This way:
>
> file://c:/pics/thunderbird-2.jpg

You realize your link is to your local hard drive and in not viewable by
any one with out access to you local drive.
0
Keith
7/13/2017 11:17:55 AM
On 7/12/2017 9:53 PM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2017-07-12 21:50, Wayne wrote:
>> On 7/12/2017 9:38 PM, Wolf K wrote:
>>> Thunderbird 52.1.1
>>>
>>> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
>>>
>>> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it? I looked for "welcome" in
>>> the config editor, cabn't think of any other search term.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help
>>>

>> question - what type(s) of content would you prefer to see on the
>> welcome screen?  (called the home screen or home
>
> Nothing whatever.

Me too.

Funny as it got me thinking about my car that lights up screen with
"welcome" when I get in.

Maybe it would better say, "welcome, master" instead of just like I was
a guest there and not the owner ;)
0
Frank
7/13/2017 12:41:16 PM
On 2017-07-13 08:41, Frank wrote:
> On 7/12/2017 9:53 PM, Wolf K wrote:

>>> question - what type(s) of content would you prefer to see on the
>>> welcome screen?  (called the home screen or home
>>
>> Nothing whatever.
>>
> Me too.
>
> Funny as it got me thinking about my car that lights up screen with
> "welcome" when I get in.
>
> Maybe it would better say, "welcome, master" instead of just like I was
> a guest there and not the owner ;)

I detest welcome screens, period. IMO the default should be an
appropriate, well-designed Start menu, or the workspace itself. BTW, I
don't like "greeters" in stores, either.

Fix Start screen on Thunderbird 52.2.1
In Options - General, Start Page, uncheck "When Thunderbird Launches"

Many Many Thanks to whoever posted that tip, I'm sorry I can't name you,
  as I've deleted your post.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
Keith Nuttle wrote:
> Sjouke Burry wrote:
>> On options/general i have for startupscreen a file
>> with a picture from the thunderbird movies.
>> This way:
>>
>> file://c:/pics/thunderbird-2.jpg
>
> You realize your link is to your local hard drive and in
> not viewable by any one with out access to you local drive.

Well, it *is* meant for local use, isn't it?

-p

0
PietB
7/13/2017 2:37:14 PM
On 07/12/2017 09:38 PM, Wolf K wrote:
> Thunderbird 52.1.1
>
> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
>
> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it? I looked for "welcome" in the
> config editor, cabn't think of any other search term.
>
> Thanks for any help

Put your favorite image there.

Lots of nice images in a.b.p.scenic and a.b.joker.

I replaced it with the Pittsburgh Penguins logo. Looks better than a big
empty white space.

You can put anything you like in the Location: field.

Maybe I'll switch it to the Pirates logo.
0
WaltS48
7/13/2017 4:36:41 PM
On 7/13/2017 9:34 AM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2017-07-13 08:41, Frank wrote:

>>> Nothing whatever.
>>>
>> Me too.
>>
>> Funny as it got me thinking about my car that lights up screen with
>> "welcome" when I get in.
>>
>> Maybe it would better say, "welcome, master" instead of just like I
>> was a guest there and not the owner ;)
>
> I detest welcome screens, period. IMO the default should be an
> appropriate, well-designed Start menu, or the workspace itself. BTW, I
> don't like "greeters" in stores, either.
>
> Fix Start screen on Thunderbird 52.2.1
> In Options - General, Start Page, uncheck "When Thunderbird Launches"
>
> Many Many Thanks to whoever posted that tip, I'm sorry I can't name you,
>   as I've deleted your post.

It was BOOze that made tip.  Booze also makes me tipsie.  Both nice.
0
Frank
7/13/2017 4:36:55 PM
On 2017-07-13 12:36, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 07/12/2017 09:38 PM, Wolf K wrote:
>> Thunderbird 52.1.1
>>
>> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
>>
>> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it? I looked for "welcome" in
>> the config editor, cabn't think of any other search term.
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>

> Put your favorite image there.

Nah, I want nothing at all. Fixed it.

[...]

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
Wolf K wrote:

> Thunderbird 52.1.1
> When first opened, shows a welcome screen.
> I don't like it, how do you get rid of it?

mailnews.start_page.enabled = false
0
Andy
7/13/2017 7:34:18 PM
On 2017-07-13 09:34, Wolf K <wolfmac@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-07-13 08:41, Frank wrote:
>> On 7/12/2017 9:53 PM, Wolf K wrote:
>>>
>>> Nothing whatever.
>>>
>> Me too.
>>
>> Funny as it got me thinking about my car that lights up screen with
>> "welcome" when I get in.

Useless isn't it? A friend of mine's car displays "Warning you must use
me (the navigation system) responsibly, please press OK" EVERY SINGLE
time the car is started. There is no "Yes I understand don't show this
next time" checkbox to get rid of it...

>> Maybe it would better say, "welcome, master" instead of just like I
>> was a guest there and not the owner ;)

I had not seen the TB welcome screen is so long, I enabled it and
restarted just now -> Useless; at least on my system, the default screen
is to show a page that basically says "please donate." I have nothing
against that, but it is not useful for the user (like a summary of the
most active conversations, or I dunno, /something/ useful...)

> I detest welcome screens, period. IMO the default should be an
> appropriate, well-designed Start menu, or the workspace itself. BTW, I
> don't like "greeters" in stores, either.

I have nothing against them per say, but I like that we can disable it
in TB...

> Fix Start screen on Thunderbird 52.2.1
> In Options - General, Start Page, uncheck "When Thunderbird Launches"
> Many Many Thanks to whoever posted that tip, I'm sorry I can't name you,
> as I've deleted your post.

Lol, no problem, it was an easy one to answer :-)

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  Despite the cost of living, it remains very popular.

0
B00ze
7/14/2017 1:58:47 AM
On 2017-07-13 9:58 PM, B00ze wrote:
> I had not seen the TB welcome screen is so long, I enabled it and
> restarted just now -> Useless; at least on my system, the default screen
> is to show a page that basically says "please donate." I have nothing
> against that, but it is not useful for the user (like a summary of the
> most active conversations, or I dunno, /something/ useful...)

Under "Need Support?", the start page has a link called "Knowledge
Base", which will take you to
<https://support.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird>. There you can search
for "Start page", and the first result is
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customizing-the-start-page>.

This reply is more for everyone here. There are good links in the start
page, where you can find answers to your questions, before there's a
need to start a thread in here. I encourage everyone to explore them.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris

On 2017-07-14 20:55, Chris Ilias <nmo5@ilias.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-07-13 9:58 PM, B00ze wrote:
>> I had not seen the TB welcome screen is so long, I enabled it and
>> restarted just now -> Useless; at least on my system, the default
>> screen is to show a page that basically says "please donate." I have
>> nothing against that, but it is not useful for the user (like a
>> summary of the most active conversations, or I dunno, /something/
>> useful...)

Note that I did not want to complain; I think it is good that the page
the user first sees is a "Welcome to TB for the first time" page which
suggests donating. I just think we should have a couple more pages to
chose from, once we've seen the First-Time-User one. Also, I suggest the
start-page should take-up the WHOLE space (the message-list and the
message-preview, BOTH, otherwise we (I at least) only see a small
portion of the page and it looses impact).

> Under "Need Support?", the start page has a link called "Knowledge
> Base", which will take you to
> <https://support.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird>. There you can search
> for "Start page", and the first result is
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customizing-the-start-page>.

It just says you can enter any URL; it doesn't give other various pages
pre-defined in TB. You *did* ask for suggestions :-)

> This reply is more for everyone here. There are good links in the start
> page, where you can find answers to your questions, before there's a
> need to start a thread in here. I encourage everyone to explore them.

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  Redundant book title: "Windows for dummies."

0
B00ze
7/15/2017 1:24:22 AM
On 2017-07-14 21:24, B00ze <B00ze64@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It just says you can enter any URL; it doesn't give other various pages
> pre-defined in TB. You *did* ask for suggestions :-)

Oops, Wayne asked for suggestions, my bad!

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  Is it my imagination or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

0
B00ze
7/15/2017 1:26:11 AM
On 14/07/2017 02:58, B00ze wrote:
<snip>

.....useful for the user (like a summary of the most active conversations, or I dunno, /something/ useful...)

<snip>

Try the Mail Summaries add-on...

--
Chris