Tricky question

I am about to reconstruct my system.
I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.

The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably on a common
partition.

Can it be done?

Pinnerite

On 2018-03-07 08:41, Pinnerite wrote:
> I am about to reconstruct my system.
> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>
> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably on a common
> partition.
>
> Can it be done?

Yes. You can locate Thunderbird wherever you want. Search for "move
Thunderbird to different location."

Best,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

On 07/03/2018 13:41, Pinnerite wrote:
> I am about to reconstruct my system.
> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>
> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably on a common
> partition.
>
> Can it be done?

Thunderbird has always allowed to create profiles in a folder or
partition of Users' choosing.  You can do it by going to:

Account Settings >> Server Settings

Now when you scroll down the dialogue box, you will be able to
Choose/Browse the location of your Local Directory.  This is where all
local emails are saved on your machine.

So when you asked "Can it be done", the answer is emphatic YES as long
as the partition is readable by the other system that is run in dual
boot.  I believe, Linux has its own settings to allow access to
partitions/folders so you need to know how it is done.

Good luck.

--------------7686FF70B3C4E22FB4CE1A5C

  <head>
  </head>
cite="mid:mailman.820.1520430136.2179.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org">
      <pre wrap="">I am about to reconstruct my system.
I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.

The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably on a common
partition.

Can it be done?

</pre>
    Thunderbird has always allowed to create profiles in a folder or
    partition of Users' choosing.  You can do it by going to:<br>
    Account Settings &gt;&gt; Server Settings<br>
    Now when you scroll down the dialogue box, you will be able to
    Choose/Browse the location of your Local Directory.  This is where
    all local emails are saved on your machine.<br>
    So when you asked "Can it be done", the answer is emphatic YES as
    long as the partition is readable by the other system that is run in
    dual boot.  I believe, Linux has its own settings to allow access to
    partitions/folders so you need to know how it is done.<br>
    Good luck.<br>
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>

--------------7686FF70B3C4E22FB4CE1A5C--
0
Good
3/7/2018 8:19:15 PM
On 07/03/18 20:19, Good Guy wrote:
> On 07/03/2018 13:41, Pinnerite wrote:
>> I am about to reconstruct my system.
>> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>>
>> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably on a c=
ommon=20
>> partition.
>>
>> Can it be done?
>
> Thunderbird has always allowed to create profiles in a folder or partit=
ion of Users' choosing.=C2=A0 You can do it by going to:

> Account Settings >> Server Settings
>
> Now when you scroll down the dialogue box, you will be able to Choose/B=
rowse the location of your Local Directory.=C2=A0 This is where all local=
 emails are saved on your machine.

> So when you asked "Can it be done", the answer is emphatic YES as long =
as the partition is readable by the other system that is run in dual boot=
=2E=C2=A0 I believe, Linux has its own settings to allow access to partit=
ions/folders so you need to know how it is done.

> Good luck.

Good Guy explained here how to relocate just the mail stores. This approa=
ch doesn't cater for account settings, address books, filters, extensions=
=2E So it results in your profile being fragmented across several differe=
nt locations.

Put /home where both installations can use it and the job is done.

If you don't want to do that, put the thunderbird profile on a mutually a=
ccessible partition, folder or mount point, with a local profiles.ini in =
each OS, each directing Thunderbird to the common shared folder.
--=20
Chris

0
Chris
3/7/2018 10:14:50 PM
Good Guy wrote:

> On 07/03/2018 13:41, Pinnerite wrote:
>> I am about to reconstruct my system.
>> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>>
>> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably on a
>> common partition.
>>
>> Can it be done?
>>

> Thunderbird has always allowed to create profiles in a folder or
> partition of Users' choosing.  You can do it by going to:
>
> Account Settings >> Server Settings
>
> Now when you scroll down the dialogue box, you will be able to
> Choose/Browse the location of your Local Directory.  This is where all
> local emails are saved on your machine.
>
> So when you asked "Can it be done", the answer is emphatic YES as long
> as the partition is readable by the other system that is run in dual
> boot.  I believe, Linux has its own settings to allow access to
> partitions/folders so you need to know how it is done.
>
> Good luck.

The various tips I received from here and the NGs of the respective distros
were  very helpful and predicated which approach to take. Namely separate
small /homes in each distro and one o more common data partitions. I intend
to have two, one for virtual machines (both Windows).

Thank you.

Pinnerite
3/7/2018 10:55:46 PM
On 2018-03-07 8:41 AM, Pinnerite wrote:
> I am about to reconstruct my system.
> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>
> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably on a common
> partition.
>
> Can it be done?

In a case like this, I would recommend using an IMAP account.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
Chris Ramsden <no_off_list@messages.please> Wrote in message:

> Put /home where both installations can use it and the job is done.
>
> If you don't want to do that, put the thunderbird profile on a mutually accessible partition, folder or mount point, with a local profiles.ini in each OS, each directing Thunderbird to the common shared folder.

I wouldn't just share /home between two different distributions -
 though I don't know anything about Mageia other than it's not
 Debian like Mint is. You might get unwelcome effects from sharing
 .config files, they will be hard to separate later, and updating
 one might affect the other.

Create a sharable partition for the TB stuff. Check what
 filesystems both support - I would go for something old like
 ext4. I usually mount such stuff as /mnt/something.

One way which would probably work without configuring Fx at all
 would be to let it create ~/.thunderbird in one distro, then move
 it to the share, and soft symlink it from both:
~/.thunderbird > /mnt/shared_partition/.thunderbird
(I won't quote a 'ln -s ' command from memory - I often get them
 the wrong way round.)

You'd probably need to grant some  permissions to the partition on
 the second distro.

Does anybody think that won't work?
--
(Remove numerics from my email address)
0
Chris Ilias wrote:
> Pinnerite wrote:
>> I am about to reconstruct my system.
>> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably
>> on a common partition.
>> Can it be done?
>
> In a case like this, I would recommend using an IMAP account.

I fail to see why.

My wife and I have 2 pc's. Normally we use #1, which is the fastest.
When we both want to do work, one of us takes #2.
Our files reside on a partition on #1 which is shared over the LAN.
"Our files" include the profiles, folders etc. for mail clients,
news clients and a number of browsers. Mail uses accounts on IMAP
and POP servers.
Works like a charm, so why wouldn't it work under Linux too, local
on a common partition or over the LAN, e.g. with a NAS partition?

-p

0
PietB
3/8/2018 1:42:34 PM
On 2018-03-08 08:42, PietB wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> Pinnerite wrote:
>>> I am about to reconstruct my system.
>>> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>>> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably
>>> on a common partition.
>>> Can it be done?
>>
>> In a case like this, I would recommend using an IMAP account.
>
> I fail to see why.
>
> My wife and I have 2 pc's. Normally we use #1, which is the fastest.
> When we both want to do work, one of us takes #2.
> Our files reside on a partition on #1 which is shared over the LAN.
> "Our files" include the profiles, folders etc. for mail clients,
> news clients and a number of browsers. Mail uses accounts on IMAP
> and POP servers.
> Works like a charm, so why wouldn't it work under Linux too, local
> on a common partition or over the LAN, e.g. with a NAS partition?
>
> -p

You're doing locally what IMAP does on the 'net. :-)

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On 08/03/18 14:32, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2018-03-08 08:42, PietB wrote:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>>
>>> In a case like this, I would recommend using an IMAP account.
>>
>> I fail to see why.
>>
>> My wife and I have 2 pc's. Normally we use #1, which is the fastest.
>> When we both want to do work, one of us takes #2.
>> Our files reside on a partition on #1 which is shared over the LAN.
>> "Our files" include the profiles, folders etc. for mail clients,
>> news clients and a number of browsers. Mail uses accounts on IMAP
>> and POP servers.
>> Works like a charm, so why wouldn't it work under Linux too, local
>> on a common partition or over the LAN, e.g. with a NAS partition?
>>
>> -p
>>

> You're doing locally what IMAP does on the 'net. :-)

No: IMAP doesn't include account settings, extensions, address books, fil=
ters, customizations, local folders=E2=80=A6

0
Chris
3/8/2018 3:27:20 PM
In message
<mailman.858.1520519573.2179.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org>,
Wolf K <wolfmac@sympatico.ca> writes:
>On 2018-03-08 08:42, PietB wrote:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>>
>>> In a case like this, I would recommend using an IMAP account.
>>  I fail to see why.
>>  My wife and I have 2 pc's. Normally we use #1, which is the fastest.
>> When we both want to do work, one of us takes #2.
>> Our files reside on a partition on #1 which is shared over the LAN.
>> "Our files" include the profiles, folders etc. for mail clients,
>> news clients and a number of browsers. Mail uses accounts on IMAP
>> and POP servers.
>> Works like a charm, so why wouldn't it work under Linux too, local
>> on a common partition or over the LAN, e.g. with a NAS partition?
>>  -p
>>

>You're doing locally what IMAP does on the 'net. :-)

Yes, I think Chris was suggesting IMAP with two separate Thunderbirds,
each with its own local storage area, but just relying on the IMAP
synching mechanism to keep them in line - i. e. treating the two
installs as if they were on different devices. I think the OP wanted to
know if two different TBs (under different OSs) can use the _same_ local
storage area, so no synching is necessary. From what some others have
said, it looks to me as if it is indeed possible, though I'd think maybe
you might need to keep the _settings_ parts separate, because of the
different ways different OSs use for storage grammar (such as "\"
instead of "/", that sort of thing), unless TB's incarnations would
actually take care of that.

..... basically it's another language and unless you've studied it, it's
difficult to grasp. I know people get outraged at me saying it, but it's only
my opinion. I'm not telling people who adore Shakespeare to stop adoring it
this minute. - Jane Horrocks, in Radio Times 30 July - 5 August 2011
On 2018-03-08 8:42 AM, PietB wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> Pinnerite wrote:
>>> I am about to reconstruct my system.
>>> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>>> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably
>>> on a common partition.
>>> Can it be done?
>>
>> In a case like this, I would recommend using an IMAP account.
>
> I fail to see why.
>
> My wife and I have 2 pc's. Normally we use #1, which is the fastest.
> When we both want to do work, one of us takes #2.
> Our files reside on a partition on #1 which is shared over the LAN.
> "Our files" include the profiles, folders etc. for mail clients,
> news clients and a number of browsers. Mail uses accounts on IMAP
> and POP servers.
> Works like a charm, so why wouldn't it work under Linux too, local
> on a common partition or over the LAN, e.g. with a NAS partition?

Based on the information Pinnerite posted, it looks like he/she is
trying to access the same account from more than one OS. While there is
more than one method that will work, my opinion is that using an IMAP
account is by far the easiest and safest method to accomplish what
Pinnerite wants to achieve.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris

On 07/03/2018 22:14, Chris Ramsden wrote:

> Good Guy explained here how to relocate just the mail stores. This approach doesn't cater for account settings, address books, filters, extensions.

Why not?  you are relocating the entire folder somewhere else so
everything is available.  It is like copying the profile folder and
copying it on a new system when setting up an entirely new system after
formatting the hard disk.  I do it all the time and I have not seen any
problems or anything "fragmented" as you seem to be suggesting.

--------------080600030902020309070001

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:mailman.843.1520460922.2179.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">

</pre>
      <pre wrap="">Good Guy explained here how to relocate just the mail stores. This approach doesn't cater for account settings, address books, filters, extensions. </pre>
    Why not?  you are relocating the entire folder somewhere else so
    everything is available.  It is like copying the profile folder and
    copying it on a new system when setting up an entirely new system
    after formatting the hard disk.  I do it all the time and I have not
    seen any problems or anything "fragmented" as you seem to be
    suggesting.<br>
cite="mid:mailman.843.1520460922.2179.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">
</pre>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------080600030902020309070001--
0
Good
3/8/2018 4:15:36 PM
On 2018-03-08 10:27, Chris Ramsden wrote:
> On 08/03/18 14:32, Wolf K wrote:

>>> I fail to see why.
>>>
>>> My wife and I have 2 pc's. Normally we use #1, which is the fastest.
>>> When we both want to do work, one of us takes #2.
>>> Our files reside on a partition on #1 which is shared over the LAN.
>>> "Our files" include the profiles, folders etc. for mail clients,
>>> news clients and a number of browsers. Mail uses accounts on IMAP
>>> and POP servers.
>>> Works like a charm, so why wouldn't it work under Linux too, local
>>> on a common partition or over the LAN, e.g. with a NAS partition?
>>>
>>> -p
>>>

>> You're doing locally what IMAP does on the 'net. :-)
>>
> No: IMAP doesn't include account settings, extensions, address books, filters, customizations, local folders…

You're right, I'll amend to "..more than what IMAP does..."

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On 08/03/18 07:59, Dave Royal wrote:
> Chris Ramsden <no_off_list@messages.please> Wrote in message:
>> Put /home where both installations can use it and the job is done.
>>
>> If you don't want to do that, put the thunderbird profile on a mutuall=
y accessible partition, folder or mount point, with a local profiles.ini =
in each OS, each directing Thunderbird to the common shared folder.

> I wouldn't just share /home between two different distributions -
>  though I don't know anything about Mageia other than it's not
>  Debian like Mint is. You might get unwelcome effects from sharing
>  .config files, they will be hard to separate later, and updating
>  one might affect the other.
>
> Create a sharable partition for the TB stuff. Check what
>  filesystems both support - I would go for something old like
>  ext4. I usually mount such stuff as /mnt/something.
>
> One way which would probably work without configuring Fx at all
>  would be to let it create ~/.thunderbird in one distro, then move
>  it to the share, and soft symlink it from both:
> ~/.thunderbird > /mnt/shared_partition/.thunderbird
> (I won't quote a 'ln -s ' command from memory - I often get them
>  the wrong way round.)
>
> You'd probably need to grant some  permissions to the partition on
>  the second distro.
>
> Does anybody think that won't work?
I thought I'd replied to this before.

Thank you for the replies pointing out my mistake. I stand corrected. Mul=
tiple /homes has to be the right way to do it.

In my defence, I have frequently moved /home from one installation to ano=
ther and haven't experienced any problems in doing so. But then the distr=
os I have used (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, LMDE, MX-Linux) have all been Debian =
derivatives, so I may have just been lucky.

Surely, the whole point of a discrete /home folder is that you can keep i=
t through upgrades?
--=20
Chris

0
Chris
3/11/2018 11:50:16 AM
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 11:50:16 +0000, Chris Ramsden wrote:

> Surely, the whole point of a discrete /home folder is that you can keep
> it through upgrades?

You can certainly keep the home folder through upgrades, whether its in a
separate partition or not. (I would always recommend having /home in a
separate partition.) But personally, I wouldn't share a home folder
between two dissimilar distros on the same machine. I would be concerned
that config files for, say, sound or command shells (e.g. asound.rc or
bashrc) might be different. There might be odd effects with different
desktop environments, or different versions of it; desktop launchers
wouldn't work if paths differed for example.

I've used SuSE for years, and still do mainly, but I'm now also using
Debian too - on different boxes - and found several things that didn't
work as I expected. For example Debian gives each user its own group
while SuSE puts users in group 'users'. I don't know what Mageia does but
such a difference might well complicate sharing home.

I might work OK - but I wouldn't risk it.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
On 7/3/2018 21:41, Pinnerite wrote:
> I am about to reconstruct my system.
> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>
> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably on a common
> partition.

BACKUP FIRST!

Just point the profile directory of the 2 Thunderbird to the same folder
and directory! Make sure that they are of the same version as well. Now
spend some to find out whether things are working as expected. That's
why I said "BACKUP FIRST"! :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
On 11/3/2018 23:54, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 7/3/2018 21:41, Pinnerite wrote:
>> I am about to reconstruct my system.
>> I want to dual-boot Linux Mint and Mageia 6.
>>
>> The problem is I want only one set of email records, preferably on a
>> common
>> partition.
>>

> BACKUP FIRST!
>
> Just point the profile directory of the 2 Thunderbird to the same folder
> and directory! Make sure that they are of the same version as well. Now
> spend some to find out whether things are working as expected. That's
> why I said "BACKUP FIRST"! :)

You might wanna put the Thunderbird profile in a separate data partition
that uses an file system that's supported by both operating systems.
Um... I hope you know about partitioning.

Again, BACKUP first before doing anything dangerous to your data.

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
   ^ ^   (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10)  Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
Mr
3/11/2018 3:58:47 PM
On 9/3/2018 00:09, Chris Ilias wrote:

> Based on the information Pinnerite posted, it looks like he/she is
> trying to access the same account from more than one OS. While there is
> more than one method that will work, my opinion is that using an IMAP
> account is by far the easiest and safest method to accomplish what
> Pinnerite wants to achieve.

That means you always need an internet connection to the IMAP server to
process your mails!!! I don't know whether he/she got one.

Maybe that's why Mrs. Clinton downloaded her messages from the
government servers when away? :)