Top posting

I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it seems
most people work that way. I've noticed that TB mucks it up: A space is
left for me to write in followed by something like

   "Ernest Correspondent wrote on 5/15/2018 3:43 PM:"

then the original message. The problem is that spell check sees that
line and often declares that it doesn't like the name of the original
sender. This seems peculiar since TB created that line. Any work around
other than bottom posting?
--
Jeff Barnett
0

I don't seem to have a problem those times I choose to top post. I just put=
 the cursor at the beginning of the attribution line, press <Enter> twice t=
o make blank lines above the attribution line, move the cursor to the top, =
and start typing. I am using a different computer at the moment, so I son't=
 remember what version I use regularly, but I have had no problem with any =
version of Tb. (I'm on a Chromebook just now.)
0
slyphnoyde
5/16/2018 11:03:30 AM
On 05/16/2018 01:49 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it seems
> most people work that way. I've noticed that TB mucks it up: A space is
> left for me to write in followed by something like
>
>    "Ernest Correspondent wrote on 5/15/2018 3:43 PM:"
>
> then the original message. The problem is that spell check sees that
> line and often declares that it doesn't like the name of the original
> sender. This seems peculiar since TB created that line. Any work around
> other than bottom posting?
That line will stil be there.   It's put there by TB regardless.   See
above!

0
Big
5/16/2018 12:10:42 PM
On 2018-05-16 08:10, Big Al wrote:
> On 05/16/2018 01:49 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it
>> seems most people work that way. I've noticed that TB mucks it up: A
>> space is left for me to write in followed by something like
>>
>>    "Ernest Correspondent wrote on 5/15/2018 3:43 PM:"
>>
>> then the original message. The problem is that spell check sees that
>> line and often declares that it doesn't like the name of the original
>> sender. This seems peculiar since TB created that line. Any work
>> around other than bottom posting?
> That line will stil be there.   It's put there by TB regardless.   See
> above!

Original Sender name is now part of the message, so TB spellchecks it.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On 05/16/2018 08:59 AM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2018-05-16 08:10, Big Al wrote:
>> On 05/16/2018 01:49 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>>> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it
>>> seems most people work that way. I've noticed that TB mucks it up: A
>>> space is left for me to write in followed by something like
>>>
>>>    "Ernest Correspondent wrote on 5/15/2018 3:43 PM:"
>>>
>>> then the original message. The problem is that spell check sees that
>>> line and often declares that it doesn't like the name of the original
>>> sender. This seems peculiar since TB created that line. Any work
>>> around other than bottom posting?
>> That line will stil be there.   It's put there by TB regardless.   See
>> above!
>>
> Original Sender name is now part of the message, so TB spellchecks it.

But that message can be changed.   Now I'm not sure if you could take
out the senders name but if you did, that would create an issue.

Looking above I can see that Jeff Barnett first wrote, then I wrote then
Wolf K wrote.   So I can see the order of people.  Without names that
whole part is useless.

Of course I'm not sure what all the fuss is about spell check failing in
this part of the message other than I do agree with the OP that it
should not.  I know why it is: the names are not in the dictionary.  And
it could be fixed if the OP would add all user names to the dictionary
but that's the wrong way around it.   TB should check the address book,
but that doesn't work for newsgroups since I don't have all posters in
the address book.     It's a vicious circle.

0
Big
5/16/2018 1:55:50 PM
On Tue, 15 May 2018 23:49:18 -0600, Jeff Barnett <jbbrus@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Any work around
> other than bottom posting?

Add the names of your regular correspondents to your spelling
dictionary.

I nearly always type my reply below the part of the message I've
chosen to keep, and TB checks the attribution line anyway.

I do top post when we are planning a dinner, to preserve the complete
list of what people are bringing.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
On 05/16/2018 07:55 AM, Big Al wrote:
> TB should check the address book,

Intriguing idea with Thunderbird checking the address book(s) as
additional dictionaries.

> but that doesn't work for newsgroups since I don't have all posters in
> the address book.

Doesn't a sender in a newsgroup fall under the same (soft) requirement
of being added to dictionary or address book just like an email sender?
Particularly with a big mailing list?

Or why should a newsgroup poster be treated any differently than an
email sender?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
On 5/16/18 1:49 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it seems
> most people work that way. I've noticed that TB mucks it up: A space is
> left for me to write in followed by something like
>
>    "Ernest Correspondent wrote on 5/15/2018 3:43 PM:"
>
> then the original message. The problem is that spell check sees that
> line and often declares that it doesn't like the name of the original
> sender. This seems peculiar since TB created that line. Any work around
> other than bottom posting?

Disable spell checking in Options > Composition > Spelling.

Get all proper names, nicknames and aliases added to the dictionary
Thunderbird uses.

Add the name to the personal dictionary as suggested by another response.

I just ignore it.

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
On 05/17/2018 02:02 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/16/18 1:49 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it
>> seems most people work that way. I've noticed that TB mucks it up: A
>> space is left for me to write in followed by something like
>>
>>    "Ernest Correspondent wrote on 5/15/2018 3:43 PM:"
>>
>> then the original message. The problem is that spell check sees that
>> line and often declares that it doesn't like the name of the original
>> sender. This seems peculiar since TB created that line. Any work
>> around other than bottom posting?
>

> Disable spell checking in Options > Composition > Spelling.
>
> Get all proper names, nicknames and aliases added to the dictionary
> Thunderbird uses.
>
> Add the name to the personal dictionary as suggested by another response.
>
> I just ignore it.

I make a special address book called subscriptions.   I put names of all
the mailers, those email subscriptions like Newegg, Netflix, Amazon etc
in there.   I include that in my check but they never show in my
personal address book.   Granted if I'm emailing Amy and type AM, I get
Amazon and Amy, but usually Amy is on top due to frequency of use.

Also my spell checker is set to just indicate it on the papge like
Netflix didn't spell check, but I ignore it.

0
Big
5/18/2018 12:10:28 PM
On 05/15/2018 10:49 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:

> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it seems
> most people work that way.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on in e-mail?

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
On 5/17/2018 5:59 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 05/16/2018 07:55 AM, Big Al wrote:
>> TB should check the address book,
>
> Intriguing idea with Thunderbird checking the address book(s) as
> additional dictionaries.
>
>> but that doesn't work for newsgroups since I don't have all posters in
>> the address book.
>
> Doesn't a sender in a newsgroup fall under the same (soft) requirement
> of being added to dictionary or address book just like an email sender?
> Particularly with a big mailing list?

Thunderbird already adds the names of the recipients to a temporary
whitelist for the spell checker.

So for e-mail this should work as expected, for newsgroups it won't,
unless you also send a copy to the original sender.

Onno
0
Onno
5/18/2018 6:54:46 PM
On 05/18/2018 12:54 PM, Onno Ekker wrote:
> Thunderbird already adds the names of the recipients to a temporary
> whitelist for the spell checker.

Hum.

I have not noticed such behavior.  But I've not been looking for it
specifically.

Does it require that the names be listed in fields in an address book
contact?  Or does it deduce them from the human portion of the To: /
From: address?

> So for e-mail this should work as expected, for newsgroups it won't,
> unless you also send a copy to the original sender.

That makes sense.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
James Moe wrote on 5/18/2018 11:23 AM:
> On 05/15/2018 10:49 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>
>> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it seems
>> most people work that way.
>>

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing on in e-mail?

I agree, obviously. I just wish TB would consider what it's doing.
--
Jeff Barnett

0
Jeff
5/18/2018 10:46:01 PM
On 5/18/18 6:46 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> James Moe wrote on 5/18/2018 11:23 AM:
>> On 05/15/2018 10:49 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>>
>>> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it seems
>>> most people work that way.
>>>

>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>> A: Top-posting.
>> Q: What is the most annoying thing on in e-mail?
>
> I agree, obviously. I just wish TB would consider what it's doing.

I think it does. Top posting is the Default setting for email and Bottom
posting is the Default setting for newsgroups.

The user has control in Account Settings > Composition & Addressing.

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
5/18/2018 11:12:11 PM
On 05/15/2018 10:49 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it seems=
=20
> most people work that way. I've noticed that TB mucks it up: A space is=
=20
> left for me to write in followed by something like
>=20
>  =C2=A0 "Ernest Correspondent wrote on 5/15/2018 3:43 PM:"
>=20
> then the original message. The problem is that spell check sees that=20
> line and often declares that it doesn't like the name of the original=20
> sender. This seems peculiar since TB created that line. Any work around=
=20
> other than bottom posting?

Hi Jeff,

I have to top post in business communications as they
other end insists upon it.

And, consequently, THEY NEVER READ WHAT IN QUOTED BELOW.
So, if you want them to see something, you have to quote
it again inline in your top post.

It is a pain in the ass.  It is what it is.

-T

T wrote on 5/18/2018 7:41 PM:
> On 05/15/2018 10:49 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> I have started top posting ordinary email correspondence since it
>> seems most people work that way. I've noticed that TB mucks it up: A
>> space is left for me to write in followed by something like
>>
>>    "Ernest Correspondent wrote on 5/15/2018 3:43 PM:"
>>
>> then the original message. The problem is that spell check sees that
>> line and often declares that it doesn't like the name of the original
>> sender. This seems peculiar since TB created that line. Any work
>> around other than bottom posting?
>

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I have to top post in business communications as they
> other end insists upon it.
>
> And, consequently, THEY NEVER READ WHAT IN QUOTED BELOW.
> So, if you want them to see something, you have to quote
> it again inline in your top post.
>
> It is a pain in the ass.  It is what it is.

I don't like top posting at all. It seems to suit those with very short
attention spans who don't care what has been said already. The problem
might also be caused by the lack of real estate on a cell phone. Many
folks think they are "multi taskers" and can, using intuition, guess
what must have already been said in a thread. These are the same folks
who always seem to prune the previous conversation then show they
haven't read (or understood it) by creating redundant comments or
addressing the wrong problem.

All of that aside, I think since TB gives a top posting option it ought
to know that the reference line created by it by rule should not be
spell checked.
--
Jeff Barnett

0
Jeff
5/19/2018 3:10:08 AM
On 05/18/2018 08:10 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> I don't like top posting at all. It seems to suit those with very short attention
> spans who don't care what has been said already.

We use top-posting in an enterprise environment and for
help-desk support.  The current "important" message is on
the top, right were it should be.  The rest of the message
is used for reference and archival purposes, if necessary.
An audit trail, if you will.

Indeed, long messages may even have a summary labeled
"BLUF" on top, just for clarity.  (Bottom Line Up Front)

Regards,
Lew

0
Lew
5/19/2018 3:30:18 AM
Grant Taylor wrote:
> Doesn't a sender in a newsgroup fall under the same (soft) requirement
> of being added to dictionary or address book just like an email sender?

That would be a bad idea. Mail is person-to-person, or at most group-to-group
communication, so using working e-mail adresses is a must. Usenet is a public,
open forum, and there it's since long - very long indeed- common practice to
use fake e-mail addresses (which should end with .invalid). Adding those to
a dictionary or address book would be silly.
In fact calling the address in the From: line an "e-mail address" is a basic
flaw in the standard: just "address" would have been better. But then, the
standard was created in a time when spam didn't exist yet.

|PR|

0
PietB