Thunderbird Problem with Local a Folder and Email Account Display under Inbox, Sent, Junk and Trash

Hi, I have one e-mail account configured in Thunderbird (I am using POP3 ma=
il).  I recently made some changes and inadvertently created a folder probl=
em.

The following folder structure now exists.  Why is Thunderbird showing the =
folders in this repetitous way (I don't remember which folder doesn't belon=
g in each category: the me@email.com or the local folder) and how do I corr=
ect it (this is the Unified View)?

Inbox
     me@email.com=20
     local folder
Sent
     me@email.com=20
     local folder
Junk
     me@email.com=20
     local folder
Trash
     me@email.com=20
     local folder

Local Folders
     Folder1
     Folder2
     FolderN

Many thanks,

0
press_tag
5/17/2017 1:22:51 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21970 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 9:43:40 PM UTC-4, press_tag wrote:
> Hi, I have one e-mail account configured in Thunderbird (I am using POP3 =
mail).  I recently made some changes and inadvertently created a folder pro=
blem.
>=20
> The following folder structure now exists.  Why is Thunderbird showing th=
e folders in this repetitous way (I don't remember which folder doesn't bel=
ong in each category: the me@email.com or the local folder) and how do I co=
rrect it (this is the Unified View)?
>=20
> Inbox
>      me@email.com=20
>      local folder
> Sent
>      me@email.com=20
>      local folder
> Junk
>      me@email.com=20
>      local folder
> Trash
>      me@email.com=20
>      local folder
>=20
> Local Folders
>      Folder1
>      Folder2
>      FolderN
>=20
>=20
> Many thanks,

One correction, I don't think any folder should exist under, Inbox, Junk et=
c.., rather than one of the two listed.
0
press_tag
5/17/2017 1:49:05 AM
I think you are in Unified Folders view mode=2E In the main menu, go to Vie=
w|Folders and select "All"=2E

--
Chris

 Re: Thunderbird Problem with Local a Folder and Email Account Display unde=
r Inbox, Sent, Junk and Trash

, press_tag wrote:
> Hi, I have one e-mail account configured in Thunderbird (I am using POP3=
 mail)=2E  I recently made some changes and inadvertently created a folder =
problem=2E
belong in each category: the me@email=2Ecom or the local folder) and how do=
 I correct it (this is the Unified View)?
>=20
> Inbox
>      me@email=2Ecom=20
>      local folder
> Sent
>      me@email=2Ecom=20
>      local folder
> Junk
>      me@email=2Ecom=20
>      local folder
> Trash
>      me@email=2Ecom=20
>      local folder
>=20
> Local Folders
>      Folder1
>      Folder2
>      FolderN
>=20
>=20
> Many thanks,

One correction, I don't think any folder should exist under, Inbox, Junk e=
tc=2E=2E, rather than one of the two listed=2E

Chris
5/17/2017 5:53:27 AM
Given that is possible you actually want Unified view, maybe you should jus=
t collapse each folder so you see only the title and the aggregated content=
s=2E Expanding the folder structure allows you to discern which account any=
 particular message is in=2E Your description shows all folders expanded=2E=

=E2=81=A3 I don't see anything abnormal with what you show us=2E

--
C=
hris

Folder and Email Account Display under Inbox, Sent, Junk and Trash

On Tues=
day, May 16, 2017 at 9:43:40 PM UTC-4, press_tag wrote:
> Hi, I have one e-mail account configured in Thunderbird (I am using POP3=
 mail)=2E  I recently made some changes and inadvertently created a folder =
problem=2E
>=20
> The following folder structure now exists=2E  Why is Thunderbird showing=
 the folders in this repetitous way (I don't remember which folder doesn't =
belong in each category: the me@email=2Ecom or the local folder) and how do=
 I correct it (this is the Unified View)?
>=20
> Inbox
>      me@email=2Ecom=20
>      local folder
> Sent
>      me@email=2Ecom=20
>      local folder
> Junk
>      me@email=2Ecom=20
>      local folder
> Trash
>      me@email=2Ecom=20
>      local folder
>=20
> Local Folders
>      Folder1
>      Folder2
>      FolderN
>=20
>=20
> Many thanks,

One correction, I don't think any folder should exist under, Inbox, Junk e=
tc=2E=2E, rather than one of the two listed=2E

Chris
5/17/2017 6:00:39 AM
If I go to the all view I see the same folders, though not in the same hier=
archical view.  I don't understand the purpose of these folders.  Additiona=
ly, depending on how mail is identified as junk, by rule or by manually cli=
cking it goes into a different folder  (the rule only had local as a destin=
ation).  This seems like an unnecessary complication to me.
0
press_tag
5/17/2017 1:47:08 PM
press_tag wrote:

> If I go to the all view I see the same folders, though not in the same hierarchical view.  I don't understand the purpose of these folders.  Additionaly, depending on how mail is identified as junk, by rule or by manually clicking it goes into a different folder  (the rule only had local as a destination).  This seems like an unnecessary complication to me.

Unified View really doesn't make sense until you have two or more real
accounts. Its purpose is to amalagmate multiple Inbox folders into a
single virtual Inbox. In your case, Inbox represents the contents of
your POP3 Inbox and your Local Folders Inbox. Ditto for Sent, Trash,
Drafts etc. It replicates the way some email clients work - IIRC Outlook
Express used a common Inbox for multiple accounts. This works OK with
POP where messages are downloaded from the server, but is not a good
fit to the dynamic interaction between server and client when IMAP is
used.

Unified Folders creates virtual folders for IMAP users who
hanker after OE and POP3. So, why are you using Unified view?

Haaving munged all your new messages into a single virtual Inbox, you
may find that you want to know which Inbox a message is in. So you can
expand the virtual Inbox to show all the component Inboxes it collated
from.

I suggest you try settng it to View|Folders|All for a short while and
see if the apparent anomalies you say you have seen still occur.

I don't use Unified Folders. It doesn't seem able to accurately count
messages, and in my case, I want to see which account a message is in.
I wish to keep work and personal accounts separate. So I don't have any
great experience in how well Unified Folders works.

I repeat that as you have described it, I don't see anything incorrect
happening. But maybe a screen shot would tell a different story.
Thunderbird can get messed up and show multiple instances of a
particular folder or even whole account. Maybe you have something like
that going on.

0
zenos
5/17/2017 8:41:12 PM
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 9:43:40 PM UTC-4, press_tag wrote:
> Hi, I have one e-mail account configured in Thunderbird (I am using POP3 =
mail).  I recently made some changes and inadvertently created a folder pro=
blem.
>=20
> The following folder structure now exists.  Why is Thunderbird showing th=
e folders in this repetitous way (I don't remember which folder doesn't bel=
ong in each category: the me@email.com or the local folder) and how do I co=
rrect it (this is the Unified View)?
>=20
> Inbox
>      me@email.com=20
>      local folder
> Sent
>      me@email.com=20
>      local folder
> Junk
>      me@email.com=20
>      local folder
> Trash
>      me@email.com=20
>      local folder
>=20
> Local Folders
>      Folder1
>      Folder2
>      FolderN
>=20
>=20
> Many thanks,

Thanks for the detailed response.  I switched to the 'All' view.  See attac=
hed screenshot and let me know what you think.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipMs7lz99oKU9BNgcvM1z3rm17=
EsfYjYHFK_d4tp

thanks
0
press_tag
5/18/2017 12:35:11 AM
On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 2:43:26 AM UTC-4, Chris Ramsden wrote:
> Given that is possible you actually want Unified view, maybe you should j=
ust collapse each folder so you see only the title and the aggregated conte=
nts. Expanding the folder structure allows you to discern which account any=
 particular message is in. Your description shows all folders expanded.=20
>=20
> =E2=81=A3 I don't see anything abnormal with what you show us.=20
>=20
> --=20
> Chris=20
>=20
>=20

If I do as you say, the unread message count in parenthesis represents one =
of the collapsed folders but not the other collapsed folder 9with a differe=
nt count).
0
press_tag
5/18/2017 12:54:40 AM
On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 4:41:52 PM UTC-4, zenos wrote:
> press_tag wrote:
>=20
> > If I go to the all view I see the same folders, though not in the same =
hierarchical view.  I don't understand the purpose of these folders.  Addit=
ionaly, depending on how mail is identified as junk, by rule or by manually=
 clicking it goes into a different folder  (the rule only had local as a de=
stination).  This seems like an unnecessary complication to me.
>=20
> Unified View really doesn't make sense until you have two or more real=20
> accounts. Its purpose is to amalagmate multiple Inbox folders into a
> single virtual Inbox. In your case, Inbox represents the contents of
> your POP3 Inbox and your Local Folders Inbox. Ditto for Sent, Trash,
> Drafts etc. It replicates the way some email clients work - IIRC Outlook
> Express used a common Inbox for multiple accounts. This works OK with
> POP where messages are downloaded from the server, but is not a good
> fit to the dynamic interaction between server and client when IMAP is
> used.=20
>=20
> Unified Folders creates virtual folders for IMAP users who
> hanker after OE and POP3. So, why are you using Unified view?=20
>=20
> Haaving munged all your new messages into a single virtual Inbox, you
> may find that you want to know which Inbox a message is in. So you can
> expand the virtual Inbox to show all the component Inboxes it collated
> from.=20
>=20
> I suggest you try settng it to View|Folders|All for a short while and
> see if the apparent anomalies you say you have seen still occur.
>=20
> I don't use Unified Folders. It doesn't seem able to accurately count
> messages, and in my case, I want to see which account a message is in.
> I wish to keep work and personal accounts separate. So I don't have any
> great experience in how well Unified Folders works.=20
>=20
> I repeat that as you have described it, I don't see anything incorrect
> happening. But maybe a screen shot would tell a different story.
> Thunderbird can get messed up and show multiple instances of a
> particular folder or even whole account. Maybe you have something like
> that going on.

Here is the unified view:
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipN5VHgu03KSfmQ0X-7swNi3mS=
SNProsfrBPzPgQ