thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop.

Hi,

How can I sync my emails between thunderbird portable and the desktop
version?
thanks

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
daniel.dalton47@gmail.com
0
Daniel
9/6/2007 11:36:46 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22452 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I sync my emails between thunderbird portable and the desktop
> version?
> thanks

with TB Port, it keeps its profile with the program. If you
install it to a thumb drive [or whatever], then the profile
is also located there. In other words, the profile is fixed
and you can't change that.

With TB desktop, the profile can be anywhere.  Meaning, you
can move the profile around to where you want it.

Therefore, if you want to sync them, you need to point the
desktop profile to use the portable profile.  You can do
this with the profile manager.  So, close both programs. Use
to desktop profile manager, by clicking on the windows start
button, then run and click on browse, now locate the desktop
start up .exe file.  Now, at the end of the target line, add
a space then a dash then the letter P so it looks something
like this:

"C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p

Now, start the TB profile manager and use it to point to the
portable profile.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
0
Peter
9/6/2007 4:41:09 PM
On 7/09/2007 2:41 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> with TB Port, it keeps its profile with the program. If you
> install it to a thumb drive [or whatever], then the profile
> is also located there. In other words, the profile is fixed
> and you can't change that.
>
> With TB desktop, the profile can be anywhere.  Meaning, you
> can move the profile around to where you want it.
>
> Therefore, if you want to sync them, you need to point the
> desktop profile to use the portable profile.  You can do
> this with the profile manager.  So, close both programs. Use
> to desktop profile manager, by clicking on the windows start
> button, then run and click on browse, now locate the desktop
> start up .exe file.

Are you talking about thunderbird.exe or something? Or is this a windows
file that has nothing to do with tb.

>Now, at the end of the target line, add
> a space then a dash then the letter P so it looks something
> like this:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p

What does this do?

> Now, start the TB profile manager and use it to point to the
> portable profile.

How?
How do I start it?
Is it the normal thunderbird?

What should the final results be?

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
daniel.dalton47@gmail.com
0
Daniel
9/10/2007 9:55:52 AM
Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47@gmail.com> wrote in
la.org:

> On 7/09/2007 2:41 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> with TB Port, it keeps its profile with the program. If you
>> install it to a thumb drive [or whatever], then the profile
>> is also located there. In other words, the profile is fixed
>> and you can't change that.
>>
>> With TB desktop, the profile can be anywhere.  Meaning, you
>> can move the profile around to where you want it.
>>
>> Therefore, if you want to sync them, you need to point the
>> desktop profile to use the portable profile.  You can do
>> this with the profile manager.  So, close both programs. Use
>> to desktop profile manager, by clicking on the windows start
>> button, then run and click on browse, now locate the desktop
>> start up .exe file.
>
> Are you talking about thunderbird.exe or something? Or is this
> a windows file that has nothing to do with tb.

No, it's thunderbird.exe - why would he point you at something
else?

>>Now, at the end of the target line, add
>> a space then a dash then the letter P so it looks something
>> like this:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p
>
> What does this do?

It  opens the profile manager, so you can choose a profile to run
in Thunderbird.

>> Now, start the TB profile manager and use it to point to the
>> portable profile.
>
> How?

If you don't know about paths, you need to get a book on basic
computer skills.  WINDOWS FOR DUMMIES is quite a good one.

> How do I start it?

By clicking on the modified shortcut, of course.

> Is it the normal thunderbird?

Yes, but using the portable profile.

> What should the final results be?

What do you think they would be?

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

About the most embarrassing thing you can do to a self-
sufficient New Englander is help them out somehow.  They'll
likely thank you, but they'll remember it, and they'll get back
at you by helping you out, somehow, some day. --John Kensmark,
rec.arts.sf.composition
0
Christopher
9/10/2007 1:42:41 PM
On 10/09/2007 11:42 PM, Christopher Jahn wrote:
> No, it's thunderbird.exe - why would he point you at something
> else?

Who knows

>>> Now, at the end of the target line, add
>>> a space then a dash then the letter P so it looks something
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p
>> What does this do?
>
> It  opens the profile manager, so you can choose a profile to run
> in Thunderbird.
>
>>> Now, start the TB profile manager and use it to point to the
>>> portable profile.
>> How?
>
> If you don't know about paths, you need to get a book on basic
> computer skills.  WINDOWS FOR DUMMIES is quite a good one.

I know about paths and I have done that.

>> How do I start it?
>
> By clicking on the modified shortcut, of course.
>
>> Is it the normal thunderbird?
>
> Yes, but using the portable profile.
>
>> What should the final results be?
>>

> What do you think they would be?

I don't know that is why I asked.

And once I am in the profile manager what do I click to find my portable
profile? Do I click on new profile. If so what dir do I brows to in that
dialog.
What if I have messages in my desktop profile and my portable one how do
I put all the messages into one profile?

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
daniel.dalton47@gmail.com
0
Daniel
9/10/2007 10:12:21 PM
Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47@gmail.com> wrote in
la.org:

> On 10/09/2007 11:42 PM, Christopher Jahn wrote:
>> No, it's thunderbird.exe - why would he point you at
>> something else?
>
> Who knows

>>> What does this do?
>>
>> It  opens the profile manager, so you can choose a profile to
>> run in Thunderbird.

>>> How?
>>
>> If you don't know about paths, you need to get a book on
>> basic computer skills.  WINDOWS FOR DUMMIES is quite a good
>> one.
>
> I know about paths and I have done that.
>

>>> How do I start it?
>>
>> By clicking on the modified shortcut, of course.
>>
>>> Is it the normal thunderbird?
>>
>> Yes, but using the portable profile.
>>
>>> What should the final results be?
>>>

>> What do you think they would be?
>>

> I don't know that is why I asked.
>
> And once I am in the profile manager what do I click to find
> my portable profile? Do I click on new profile. If so what dir
> do I brows to in that dialog.
> What if I have messages in my desktop profile and my portable
> one how do I put all the messages into one profile?

And THEN you'll know.

Sheesh, why do we even bother?

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

I miss being obsessed. I like the weather there. (Jonathan
Carroll)
0
Christopher
9/11/2007 12:12:55 PM
Christopher Jahn wrote:

> Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/09/2007 11:42 PM, Christopher Jahn wrote:
>>> No, it's thunderbird.exe - why would he point you at
>>> something else?
>>
>> Who knows

>>> It  opens the profile manager, so you can choose a profile to
>>> run in Thunderbird.

>>> If you don't know about paths, you need to get a book on
>>> basic computer skills.  WINDOWS FOR DUMMIES is quite a good
>>> one.
>>
>> I know about paths and I have done that.

>>> By clicking on the modified shortcut, of course.

>>> Yes, but using the portable profile.

>>> What do you think they would be?
>>
>> I don't know that is why I asked.
>>
>> And once I am in the profile manager what do I click to find
>> my portable profile? Do I click on new profile. If so what dir
>> do I brows to in that dialog.
>> What if I have messages in my desktop profile and my portable
>> one how do I put all the messages into one profile?

> And THEN you'll know.
>
> Sheesh, why do we even bother?

I think the problem is that he doesn't know that Thunderbird and Portable
Thunderbird are two completely separate programs.

I run ordinary Thunderbird on my desktop linux and windows (just about
never, but you never can tell!) machines and run Portable Thunderbird
(windows only) from my thumb drive when I have to visit my daughter who only
runs windows on her machine.  It runs very slowly and stops for 5 seconds
every 15 seconds or so, but it's better than using Outlook or installing and
deleting Thunderbird on her machine when I visit.

I tried to copy my regular WinTB profile to the PortableTB on my thumb
drive, but it never worked right.  I ended up just reconfiguring the PTB
profile by hand.  Hey, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work.

"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.
  They don't have the energy.  If they had that much energy,
  they'd have indoor plumbing by now."         -- Ann Coulter
0
The

Thunderbird to Thunderbird
Our laptop went bad but hard drive is good and have accessed it. How do I transfer the email etc. from the old laptop to a desktop computer with a fresh install of thunderbird? Thank you! zparky wrote: > Our laptop went bad but hard drive is good and have accessed it. How do > I transfer the email etc. from the old laptop to a desktop computer with > a fresh install of thunderbird? > Thank you! Find your profile folder on the old drive. (This will help you find it: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird Use the instructions for Vista if you are...

Thunderbird To Thunderbird #2
Just downloaded and set up Thunderbird on my PC laptop. I transferred my contacts from Opera to Thunderbird. I set up a bunch of eMail Accounts. I put fresh install on my desktop PC. I see how to get the contacts from the laptop to the desktop. How do I get the eMail account setup from the laptop to the desktop. I do not see any export / import for that. Is there a file to copy over? Some utility to maintain the Accounts? On 06/20/2013 10:56 PM, OldGuy wrote: > Just downloaded and set up Thunderbird on my PC laptop. > I transferred my contacts from Opera to Thunder...

Thunderbird and Thunderbird portable
Hi I use thunderbird on my home computer but travel to other friends and family and would like to use thunderbird portable Pleas can someone give an idiot proff step by step on how to transfer my account settings etc to my U3 usb Thanks On 4/23/2009 10:16 AM, user@domain.invalid wrote: > Hi I use thunderbird on my home computer but travel to other friends and > family and would like to use thunderbird portable Pleas can someone give > an idiot proff step by step on how to transfer my account settings etc > to my U3 usb > > Thanks See: http://kb.mozillazin...

Thunderbird
Hi all, I have a thunderbird install on a pc, I want to transfer all the emails on a new pc, how do I go about it? Thanks Anastassios On 17.10.2007 08:01 UK Time, Anastassios Giannaras wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a thunderbird install on a pc, I want to transfer all the emails > on a new pc, how do I go about it? No need to import - simply move/copy your whole mail folder to the new PC and tell TB where to find it. Please ask again if you need more detailed instructions (or someone else will probably provide them anyway). -- Herbert Eppel www.HETr...

merge/import from thunderbird into thunderbird
hi all, i'm unable to import and merge several different 'Inbox' files, the only solution I can find is to setup fake accounts and copy the file onto their subdirs... any better solutions? I'm running thunderbird 0.5 (20040902) on bsd. -- sincerely, fondula di carceri fondula di carceri wrote: > hi all, > i'm unable to import and merge several different 'Inbox' files, the only > solution I can find is to setup fake accounts and copy the file onto > their subdirs... any better solutions? I'm running thunderbird 0.5 > (20040...

Thunderbird Windows to Thunderbird Linux
I have a dual boot system set-up with Windows XP and Fedora Core 2. I use Thunderbird on both platforms; how can I easily import my mail and mail settings (filters, accounts, etc) from Windows XP Thunderbird to Fedora Core 2 Thunderbird?? I have all of my Windows partitions mounted in Fedora, so accessing the Thunderbird settings directory isn't a problem. I'm currently running TB 1.0RC1 on Win XP and TB 0.9 on FC2. Thanks in advance! Richard York wrote: > I have a dual boot system set-up with Windows XP and Fedora Core 2. I > use Thunderbird on both platfor...

Migrating settings from Thunderbird to Thunderbird
I have a new computer and I would like to move my account settings from Thunderbird on the old computer to Thunderbird on the new computer. Is there anyway to do this? The email is stored on the IMAP server, so doesn't have to be moved. But I have my account set up just how I like it, and I don't want to have to transfer all of those settings all over again. Thanks for your assistance! On 07/30/05 14:54, Evan wrote: > I have a new computer and I would like to move my account settings from > Thunderbird on the old computer to Thunderbird on the new computer. Is &g...

How to transfer messages from Thunderbird to Thunderbird
This should be so easy but I cannot seem to find the answer. I have moved from one computer to another (both WinXP) and want to export/import the Tbird messages from the first computer to Tbird on the second. They are not networked, so it will have to be done via a thumb drive. I'd appreciate assistance -- thanks in advance. Lindsay Graham Canberra, Australia h The date and time was Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:50:13 AM, and on a whim, Lindsay Graham pounded out on the keyboard: > > > > > This should be s...

Import mail into Thunderbird from Thunderbird
How can I import the mail from one Thunderbird (different computer) into my computer? I recently left a job where I used thunderbird as well. I just copied the whole Thunderbird directory and removed Thunderbird from my work computer. Is there a way to import the mail from the work computer and integrate it with my existing mail? What files do I need under that directory? Thank You Who knows which mail you are using ?? > How can I import the mail from one Thunderbird (different computer) into my > computer? I recently left a job where I used > thunderbird a...

Thunderbird
Can someone tell me how to change the rules in the spelling checker? I am very new to Mozilla and like it very much. I have not found a Newsgroup for Thunderbird so please excuse me if I am in the wrong place. Jim _oldtimer_ spoke thusly: > Can someone tell me how to change the rules in the spelling checker? I am > very new to Mozilla and like it very much. I have not found a Newsgroup for > Thunderbird so please excuse me if I am in the wrong place. snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.mozilla.thunderbird Server: secnews.netscape.com SSL: yes Port: 563 N...

Thunderbird
Name: richard hiss Email: dickdothissatusdotarmydotmil Product: Firefox Summary: Thunderbird Comments: I am completely computer illererate, so bear with me. I have a new laptop and have (actually my son did) installed Thunderbird. Every time I send a e-mail it askes me for a password. How do I get rid of this feature. Thanks. R. Hiss 575.678.4701 Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30) ...

Thunderbird
As much as I like Mozilla, I do miss the option of opening an email in the same pane like Outlook Express. This way you can preview a message before double clicking it to a new page. Does anyone know of a way to change this preference, or if this is in the works? Jack wrote: > As much as I like Mozilla, I do miss the option of opening an email in > the same pane like Outlook Express. This way you can preview a message > before double clicking it to a new page. Does anyone know of a way to > change this preference, or if this is in the works? You can open it any ...

thunderbird
How would I import my windows thunderbird contacts into linux thunderbird? -- wsx123 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I haven't used Thunderbird in a while, but I believe this is how you transfer contacts: When you're in Thunderbird, open your address book. In your address book, click on the set of contacts you want to transfer, and then go to the top of the window and click the following: Tools -> Export.... Create a name and save the file somewhere that you will remember or can access from Linux, say your main docu...

Thunderbird
I've recently started messing around with Thunderbird. I like it a bunch but I'm wondering if there's any good way to port over my Address Book, with perl or otherwise. I've tried exporting from AB (as .vcf, the only option) then importing in Thunderbird (.vcf isn't one of the formats listed that it can import, but it doesn't tell me I can't do it). A new address book list icon thing shows up, but so far as I can tell the information isn't actually imported. My second attempt was going to be through Mac::Glue, but Thunderbird doesn't appear to s...

Web resources about - thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop. - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control and shaping the future of the web for the public ...

Mozilla Thunderbird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
open source , cross-platform email and news client developed by the Mozilla Foundation . The project strategy is modeled after Mozilla Firefox ...

Edit Logo - Thunderbird - CrunchBase Product Profile
TechCrunch CrunchBase More TechCrunch Europe TechCrunch France TechCrunch Japan Register - Login or Advanced Search Home > Products > Thunderbird ...

bixi-bicycle-20120208-thunderbird-toronto-workweek-010.jpg - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore roland's photos on Flickr. roland has uploaded 143376 photos to Flickr.

Thunderbirds Are Go - Introducing The World - YouTube
The world of Thunderbirds Are Go, Tracy Island, miniature sets and craft have been lovingly made by none other than WETA Workshop - the model ...

Thunderbirds are go: First pictures of TV remake
The first images of the upcoming TV reboot of the iconic series Thunderbirds have been released, recasting the iconic puppets from the 1960s ...

Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson dies aged 83
... puppet TV shows Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90 died in his sleep, his son announces. Gerry Anderson, best known as the creator of Thunderbirds ...

Firebirds hold nerve to hold out Thunderbirds
It was another close shave but Queensland Firebirds coach Roselee Jencke was happy for her side to take a second straight win.

Melbourne Cup: Thunderbird One - the last of the dreamers
Francis Finnegan admits it's a bit of a worry that Thunderbird One, the horse he and wife Samantha took on as a baby and love to bits, has been ...

Southerners steal last-gasp draw against Thunderbirds
Southern Steel stole a 53-53 draw in the chaotic final seconds of their trans-Tasman netball league clash against Adelaide Thunderbirds.