Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly in these "119" NG's?

Hi,

an appropriate first post from me, methinks:

How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
number of unread messages?

On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough to
have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some (obvious)
setting?

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund
1/10/2006 3:28:03 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 21975 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
> Hi,
>
> an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
>
> How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
> number of unread messages?
>
> On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough to
> have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some (obvious)
> setting?
>
> BR,
> Gudmund
Try this:
Right click on the news group account
   (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
Select "Properties"
Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
   -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
     -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
       -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
         you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).
0
RichDR71
1/10/2006 4:01:05 PM
RichDR71 wrote:

> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
>>
>>How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
>>number of unread messages?
>>
>>On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough to
>>have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some (obvious)
>>setting?
>>
>>BR,
>>Gudmund
>
> Try this:
> Right click on the news group account
>    (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
> Select "Properties"
> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
>    -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
>      -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
>        -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
>          you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite.  I need to click on the
individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
counts.  I already configured it to check for new messages every 10 minutes.
That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.

Could this be something in the setup of the host?

Gordon Weast
0
Gordon
1/10/2006 6:34:55 PM
Gordon Weast wrote:
> RichDR71 wrote:
>
>> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
>>>
>>> How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
>>> number of unread messages?
>>>
>>> On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough to
>>> have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some (obvious)
>>> setting?
>>>
>>> BR,
>>> Gudmund
>> Try this:
>> Right click on the news group account
>>    (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
>> Select "Properties"
>> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
>>    -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
>>      -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
>>        -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
>>          you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).
>
> I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite.  I need to click on the
> individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
> counts.  I already configured it to check for new messages every 10 minutes.
> That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
>
> Could this be something in the setup of the host?
>
> Gordon Weast

Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Gordon Weast wrote:
>> RichDR71 wrote:
>>> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:

>>> Try this:
>>> Right click on the news group account
>>>    (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
>>> Select "Properties"
>>> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
>>>    -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
>>>      -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
>>>        -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
>>>          you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).
>>

>> I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite.  I need to click on the
>> individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
>> counts.  I already configured it to check for new messages every 10
>> minutes.
>> That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
>>
>> Could this be something in the setup of the host?
>>
>> Gordon Weast
>>
> Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
> The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.
>
> Lee

there seems to be some other kind of problem here: I've tried twice to
reply to RichDR71's message, my reply will simply not show up!

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund
1/10/2006 9:31:07 PM
Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Gordon Weast wrote:

>>> I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite.  I need to click on the
>>> individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
>>> counts.  I already configured it to check for new messages every 10
>>> minutes.
>>> That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
>>>
>>> Could this be something in the setup of the host?
>>>
>>> Gordon Weast
>>>
>> Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
>> The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.
>>
>> Lee
>

> there seems to be some other kind of problem here: I've tried twice to
> reply to RichDR71's message, my reply will simply not show up!
>
> BR,
> Gudmund

Now this reply showed up, posted after unsubscribing/resubscribing, but
I still can't see my two earlier attempts...

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund
1/10/2006 9:32:29 PM
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Gordon Weast wrote:
>
>>RichDR71 wrote:
>>

>>>Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:

>>>Try this:
>>>Right click on the news group account
>>>   (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
>>>Select "Properties"
>>>Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
>>>   -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
>>>     -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
>>>       -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
>>>         you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).
>>
>>I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite.  I need to click on the
>>individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
>>counts.  I already configured it to check for new messages every 10 minutes.
>>That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
>>
>>Could this be something in the setup of the host?
>>
>>Gordon Weast
>

> Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
> The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.
>
> Lee

Lee,

I didn't simply change the news server, I created a new news account and
then subscribed to several groups.  When I first set it to update after
10 minutes, I still needed to click on the groups to get a count.  Now,
I can collapse and then open the news account and I see the new counts.

Other general news using a different server gives me fresh counts without
doing anything special.

I kept the account that points to the old server.  I'll delete it when all
the postings cease or I get an error because the server goes away.

Gordon Weast
0
Gordon
1/10/2006 10:06:17 PM
RichDR71 wrote:
> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
>>
>> How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
>> number of unread messages?
>>
>> On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough
>> to have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some
>> (obvious) setting?
>>
>> BR,
>> Gudmund
>
> Try this:
> Right click on the news group account
>   (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
> Select "Properties"
> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
>   -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
>     -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
>       -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
>         you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

Trying to resend this reply, again...

....doh, thanks!

I must have gotten so used to having it turned on in the other groups
that I forgot I ever made the setting. Corrected now!

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund
1/10/2006 10:11:10 PM
On 1/10/2006 5:06 PM eastern, Gordon Weast wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Gordon Weast wrote:

>>>I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite.  I need to click on the
>>>individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
>>>counts.  I already configured it to check for new messages every 10 minutes.
>>>That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
>>>
>>>Could this be something in the setup of the host?
>>>
>>>Gordon Weast
>>

>> Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
>> The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.
>>
>> Lee
>>

> Lee,
>
> I didn't simply change the news server, I created a new news account and
> then subscribed to several groups.  When I first set it to update after
> 10 minutes, I still needed to click on the groups to get a count.  Now,
> I can collapse and then open the news account and I see the new counts.
>
> Other general news using a different server gives me fresh counts without
> doing anything special.
>
> I kept the account that points to the old server.  I'll delete it when all
> the postings cease or I get an error because the server goes away.
>
> Gordon Weast

Same thing happening here, except I deleted the old server.
CTinFL
0
Cal
1/10/2006 10:18:47 PM
Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 2:11 PM:
> RichDR71 wrote:
>> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
>>>
>>> How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
>>> number of unread messages?
>>>
>>> On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough
>>> to have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some
>>> (obvious) setting?
>>>
>>> BR,
>>> Gudmund
>>
>> Try this:
>> Right click on the news group account
>>   (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
>> Select "Properties"
>> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
>>   -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
>>     -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
>>       -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
>>         you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).
>
> Trying to resend this reply, again...
>
> ...doh, thanks!
>
> I must have gotten so used to having it turned on in the other groups
> that I forgot I ever made the setting. Corrected now!
>
> BR,
> Gudmund
Actually, I believe that in previous incarnations, TBird set itself to
check every 10 minutes by default. The default in 1.5, is to leave this
unchecked. So, you may simply be a victim of your own habits. ;-)

But you're welcome anyway.

--Rich
0
RichDR71
1/10/2006 10:34:19 PM
RichDR71 wrote:
> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 2:11 PM:
>
>> RichDR71 wrote:
>>
>>> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:

>>> Try this:
>>> Right click on the news group account
>>>   (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
>>> Select "Properties"
>>> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
>>>   -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
>>>     -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
>>>       -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
>>>         you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).
>>
>> Trying to resend this reply, again...

found the reason for my post not getting sent BTW: somehow must have
slipped and selected the wrong From: address.

>> ...doh, thanks!
>>
>> I must have gotten so used to having it turned on in the other groups
>> that I forgot I ever made the setting. Corrected now!
>>
>> BR,
>> Gudmund
>
> Actually, I believe that in previous incarnations, TBird set itself to
> check every 10 minutes by default. The default in 1.5, is to leave this
> unchecked. So, you may simply be a victim of your own habits. ;-)

nope, still on 1.0.7. I think that default setting might pertain to
e-mail only.

> But you're welcome anyway.

:)

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund

To receive mails "orange" in "Thunderbird" it's not possible for me !
Name: Mme Rodriguez Odette Email: rodrigdotfaratorangedotfr Product: Thunderbird Summary: To receive mails "orange" in "Thunderbird" it's not possible for me ! Comments: My entering E-mails can't pass automatically from Orange to Thunderbird ! What do I make for that ? Please,tell me the way ! Thank you for your help ! O. Rodriguez Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; fr; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 ...

Get "Last Picked Colour" from Thunderbird's message composer
Salvete! I just joined this group because I just started making addons. I need some help getting a handle for the variable to get the last-picked colour from Thunderbirds colour picker in the message composer. The message composer will keep that value until you close the "write" window. Now, where is that stored? BGM wrote: >Salvete! I just joined this group because I just started making addons. > >I need some help getting a handle for the variable to get the last-picked colour from Thunderbirds colour picker in the message composer. > >The message co...

Deleting "to's" and "from's" on emails
Name: Rae McFarland Email: larryatmacsmachinedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Deleting "to's" and "from's" on emails Comments: There doesn't seem to be a way to edit and email and then forward it. Some people send something I'd like to forward, but there's a whole page of previous mailing addresses. I'd like to delete them before forwarding. I've tried and the whole email gets deleted. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 From URL: http://hendrix.mozi...

Wired's Vista "Do's" Have Some Major "Don'ts"
Wired has an article up about how to speed up Vista. While they have a couple OK tips in there, there are a couple of suggestions that caught my attention as colossally BAD. I tried to edit the wiki page to reflect this, but I was rebuffed by the original author. So much for community contributions. http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/robert/archive/2008/02/27/wireds-vista-dos-have-some-major-donts.aspx -- "Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly" In grc.techtalk, on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:32:04, paradoX wrote: >Wired has an article up about how to speed up Vist...

What's with "~/" and NOT "~/" ?
In trying to deplay test projects to my provider (GoDaddy) I'm finding a consistent barfness with the form of reference that I read as "in this directory, this file"  or "~/filename.filetype". I am having to consistently strip the "~/" to make it work.Is there a way to strip off this type of reference through a preference? In the past, I've been led to believe that "filename.filetype" when in the same directory was just FINE as that -- no need for this "~/".Hints, direction, etc. welcomed and appreciated in advance ... mahalos .....

dbremote's message "buffer overflow, message body is too long" -what's wrong?
Hello ! I've got a problem with replication based on sql anywhere. I try to use SMTP as message type and mail server based on Linux RedHat 5.1. Extraction process seems ok , databases are setup on server and remote station - dbremote starts and sends first message. Server's dbremote receives this message and reports : "buffer overflow, message body is too long ". option -l is set to 100 000 and this particular message 54k . What could possibly be wrong ? I'm suspecting configuration of mail server as source of trouble so maybe someone knows how to configu...

Debian's "IceDove" and Thunderbird
Having recently switched to Debian, I found that they have IceDove in their repository, apparently due to some kind of licensing dispute with Mozilla over the graphics in Thunderbird. The latest IceDove is based on TB 3.1.16, which is obviously a little behind the times. Has anyone found any problems with running genuine TB on Debian? If they're going to lag THAT far behind then I think I'm going to be replacing IceDove unless there's some reason not to do so. The version of Debian I'm running is wheezy, a.k.a. Debian testing, so it's not as if I'm usi...

Help! I got "DataStore is not updateable" message when update a join 2 table's datawindow
I have a datawindow, it join two table, I choose one to update In datawindow's update properties, i set all necessary i can update this datawindow in preview mode for datawindow designer2.0, but when running with datawindow.net2.0, i got error message "DataStore is not updateable" (I try to remove the other table, then update is success) please help me! thanks I use datawindow.net2.0 build 6627 ...

Unread message "number unread"
A good enhancement would be to find unread messages. Right now it mail is trashed and unread, the message count will show the number of unread. Having hundreds of message in that box can be a real impossibility trying to find the (darker text) unread message so it can be clicked on to turn off the counter. grafixman@gmail.com wrote: > A good enhancement would be to find unread messages. Right now it > mail is trashed and unread, the message count will show the number of > unread. Having hundreds of message in that box can be a real > impossibility trying to find the (...

"Hooking" Thunderbird's AbDelete() command
My Thunderplunger addon currently implements code in the AddressBook window that intercepts calls to AbDelete(). It does so to check and see if the card to be deleted is currently used in a mailing list and if so warns the user who can choose to cancel. It is my attempt to address the bug shown here <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=654744#c7>. Basically, my overlay replaces the built-in AbDelete() with its own version of AbDelete() that performs its check and then passes control on to the original AbDelete(). In the address book window, this works without pr...

Where can I find "CBO" and it's method's "InitializeObject" etc.
Hello, Anyone knows where in the code, i could find CBO and all it's methods? THX DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO Or if your looking for the file, try DNNRoot\Components\Shared\CBO.vb Dave...

Thunderbird's "dumb insolence" mode.
This one is driving me seriously crazy - and I've just moved over to Thunderbird from using Forte Agent under CrossOver Office, so advance apologies if this has been covered somewhere in the 33,000+ messages that my news server has available in this group! I'm using Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 running under Mandriva Linux 2007. For anyone who thinks the hardware might make a difference, it's an old twin-CPU Dell server, 2x500 MHz PIIIs, 1GB of RAM. The symptoms are that every so often when I run up Thunderbird, it goes into a mode where I cannot reply to or send either e-...

Can't "Search Messages " on Thunderbird
I have trying to Search Messages on Tbird. I click on "Find" under "Edit" & then usually can click on "Search Messages" on the drop down menu. But I can't now. All that is clickable is Search Addresses. Please help! Pam " On Monday, February 20, 2012 9:12:13 PM UTC-6, Pam Norman wrote: > I have trying to Search Messages on Tbird. I click on "Find" under > "Edit" & then usually can click on "Search Messages" on the drop down > menu. But I can't now. All that is clickable is Search Addres...

Thunderbird
Hi All, This is just a small note that we're planning on landing a couple of Thunderbird features real soon. They've already been tested well in our developer test builds and we're ready to push these out to our nightly & aurora testers. We may be landing these today if we complete the final review actions appropriately, if not they will land later in the week. Comments on the strings in the builds are most welcome (note, I've already commented on improving some), and if you get them in before landing of the patches, then we should be able to address th...

Web resources about - Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly in these "119" NG's? - mozilla.support.thunderbird