Text replacement...

Is there a way, builtin, or add-on, in Thunderbird to have it
automatically replace / substitute text?

I'd like to automatically replace things like the following:

"..." with "…"
" - " with " — "
" gt " with " Grant Taylor "

I've long had this ability on my iPhone and other locations and I've
started to miss it in Thunderbird.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

On 09/05/2018 3.24 am, Grant Taylor wrote:
> Is there a way, builtin, or add-on, in Thunderbird to have it
> automatically replace / substitute text?
>
> I'd like to automatically replace things like the following:
>
> "..." with "�"
> " - " with " � "
> " gt " with " Grant Taylor "
>
> I've long had this ability on my iPhone and other locations and I've
> started to miss it in Thunderbird.

Yes. There's a wonderful program called AutoHotKey which will do just
that - and far more. I'm not hugely technical and it is complicated, but
there are examples given for most of the functions so I managed to do
all kinds of things with it - I can't imagine having a computer without
it now.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Squirrel - a rat with good PR.
0
Bob
5/9/2018 8:07:55 AM
On 5/9/18 4:07 AM, Bob Henson wrote:
> On 09/05/2018 3.24 am, Grant Taylor wrote:
>> Is there a way, builtin, or add-on, in Thunderbird to have it
>> automatically replace / substitute text?
>>
>> I'd like to automatically replace things like the following:
>>
>> "..." with "�"
>> " - " with " �"
>> " gt " with " Grant Taylor"
>>
>> I've long had this ability on my iPhone and other locations and I've
>> started to miss it in Thunderbird.
>>

> Yes. There's a wonderful program called AutoHotKey which will do just
> that - and far more. I'm not hugely technical and it is complicated, but
> there are examples given for most of the functions so I managed to do
> all kinds of things with it - I can't imagine having a computer without
> it now.

Works with Linux which Grant and myself use?

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
On 05/09/2018 09:48 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/9/18 4:07 AM, Bob Henson wrote:
>> On 09/05/2018 3.24 am, Grant Taylor wrote:
>>> Is there a way, builtin, or add-on, in Thunderbird to have it
>>> automatically replace / substitute text?
>>>
>>> I'd like to automatically replace things like the following:
>>>
>>> "..." with "…"
>>> " - " with " —"
>>> " gt " with " Grant Taylor"
>>>
>>> I've long had this ability on my iPhone and other locations and I've
>>> started to miss it in Thunderbird.
>>>

>> Yes. There's a wonderful program called AutoHotKey which will do just
>> that - and far more. I'm not hugely technical and it is complicated, but
>> there are examples given for most of the functions so I managed to do
>> all kinds of things with it - I can't imagine having a computer without
>> it now.
>>

> Works with Linux which Grant and myself use?

 From what I've found it does work under Wine. but these are all old
articles.
There is AutoKey which is for Linux;
https://github.com/autokey/autokey

--
Caver1
0
From: Jigme Datse Yli-Rasku <jigme.datse@datsemultimedia.com>
To: mozilla-support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Text replacement...

On 05/09/2018 07:08 AM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 05/09/2018 09:48 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Yes. There's a wonderful program called AutoHotKey which will do just=

>>> that - and far more. I'm not hugely technical and it is complicated, =
but
>>> there are examples given for most of the functions so I managed to do=

>>> all kinds of things with it - I can't imagine having a computer witho=
ut
>>> it now.
>>>

>> Works with Linux which Grant and myself use?
>>

>=20
> From what I've found it does work under Wine. but these are all old
> articles.
> There is AutoKey which is for Linux;
> https://github.com/autokey/autokey

Most of the time this is handled by the "input" at the system level.
It's not usually a "per application" option.  At least based on my
experience of how these have been handled.  There *are* some programmes
which I have seen which do some of this.  But if you put it at the
"system" level, you don't end up with a setup where the text replacement
ends up being different in different programmes.  I have not looked at
it on this system, because it's not a feature that I have a lot of use
for personally, which of course, doesn't mean others don't.  But I know
MacOS, iOS, and Android all do it at a system level.  At least on
"relatively" recent versions of them.  I don't know about Windows, or
Linux (though I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to do that in Linux)=
=2E

Jigme Datse Yli-Rasku

--h3kJ8DaCTQbiXWjpkW9gomfcEX4lMJnWV

--h3kJ8DaCTQbiXWjpkW9gomfcEX4lMJnWV--
0
Jigme
--------------010306080601080001080100

On 09/05/2018 03:24, Grant Taylor wrote:
> Is there a way, builtin, or add-on, in Thunderbird to have it
> automatically replace / substitute text?
>
> I'd like to automatically replace things like the following:
>
> "..." with "…"
> " - " with " — "
> " gt " with " Grant Taylor "
>
> I've long had this ability on my iPhone and other locations and I've
> started to miss it in Thunderbird.

If you don't like using Add-ons then how about using:

Edit >> Find and Replace

This is not automatic but it works like in all Windows Apps.  If you are
on Linux then it should work as well but I don't use it.

I like simplicity with anything in GUI features.  Add-Ons are the last
thing I ever think of.

--------------010306080601080001080100

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:mailman.62.1525832639.2161.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">Is there a way, builtin, or add-on, in Thunderbird to
      have it automatically replace / substitute text?
      I'd like to automatically replace things like the following:
      "..." with "…"
      " - " with " — "
      " gt " with " Grant Taylor "
      I've long had this ability on my iPhone and other locations and
      I've started to miss it in Thunderbird.
    If you don't like using Add-ons then how about using:<br>
    Edit &gt;&gt; Find and Replace<br>
    This is not automatic but it works like in all Windows Apps.  If you
    are on Linux then it should work as well but I don't use it.<br>
    I like simplicity with anything in GUI features.  Add-Ons are the
    last thing I ever think of.<br>
cite="mid:mailman.62.1525832639.2161.support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------010306080601080001080100--
0
Good
5/9/2018 4:26:16 PM
On 05/09/2018 10:26 AM, Good Guy wrote:
> Edit >> Find and Replace

I use Find and Replace all the time.

But that is not what I was hoping for.

I want something that will automatically replace something that I type
with it's replacement as I type.  I don't want to have to remember to do
three or four or five or nine Find and Replace sequences across each and
every message that I send.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
On 05/09/2018 10:23 AM, Jigme Datse Yli-Rasku wrote:
> Most of the time this is handled by the "input" at the system level.
> It's not usually a "per application" option.  At least based on my
> experience of how these have been handled.  There *are* some programmes
> which I have seen which do some of this.  But if you put it at the
> "system" level, you don't end up with a setup where the text replacement
> ends up being different in different programmes.  I have not looked
> at it on this system, because it's not a feature that I have a lot of
> use for personally, which of course, doesn't mean others don't.  But I
> know MacOS, iOS, and Android all do it at a system level.  At least on
> "relatively" recent versions of them.  I don't know about Windows, or
> Linux (though I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to do that in Linux).

You make a very valid point.  One which I did not think about.

Both my iPhone and my old Palms did have this function and it was system
wide.

Maybe it's time to start exploring something functionally like
AutoHotKey for Linux.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
On 09/05/2018 2.48 pm, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/9/18 4:07 AM, Bob Henson wrote:
>> On 09/05/2018 3.24 am, Grant Taylor wrote:
>>> Is there a way, builtin, or add-on, in Thunderbird to have it
>>> automatically replace / substitute text?
>>>
>>> I'd like to automatically replace things like the following:
>>>
>>> "..." with "�"
>>> " - " with " �"
>>> " gt " with " Grant Taylor"
>>>
>>> I've long had this ability on my iPhone and other locations and I've
>>> started to miss it in Thunderbird.
>>>

>> Yes. There's a wonderful program called AutoHotKey which will do just
>> that - and far more. I'm not hugely technical and it is complicated, but
>> there are examples given for most of the functions so I managed to do
>> all kinds of things with it - I can't imagine having a computer without
>> it now.
>>

> Works with Linux which Grant and myself use?

Autokey is more limited but essential for Linux too, imho.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

An honest politician is one who, once bought, stays bought.
0
Bob